Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Geight posted:

Don't let the whiny babies get you down

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

I first learned about the CD music system in Quake 1 when my dad left some 80s compilation CD in the drive.

As it so turns out, the act of lobbing grenades at mutants and The J. Geils Band's "Centerfold" go together like water and oil.

Congrats, you accidentally made JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wamdoodle posted:

I've always seen this and Steam keeps recommending it to me but I've been hesitant because of its alleged impenetrable-ness. Maybe I'll jump on it next time I see it on sale.

It's not that impenetrable, it's just really batshit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

superh posted:

Not Early FPS related but those games always seemed so awesome but I could never get them to run on my hardware back in the day.

Do they, by any chance, hold up??

The controls are a little shonky but other than that they're still fantastic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't know if this fits in this topic, but I somehow believe Gearbox is currently developing a Duke Nukem game, and I look forward to it one day. Always bet on Duke.

I'm also pumped for the new Doom, that teaser trailer stylistically was very righteous. Cooking with gas!

Living up to your avatar text, funny man.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I don't know about migrating installs, but I can tell you from experience that GOG installers will not work on anything older than XP. Tried installing Carmageddon 2 on my Windows 98 laptop a while back and it just kept complaining loudly that it wasn't meant for this version of Windows. Pretty funny considering a great deal of GOG games predate XP...

There isn't any reason why migrating installs shouldn't work.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think it's cool to have blank slates that aren't white dudes because "white dude" being the Default Human is lovely but blank slate characters in general are not great writing, these are not incompatible points

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I'm okay with calling American McGee a shithead regardless of any misogynistic stuff he may or may not have said because the dude opened a literal Chinese sweatshop for making video games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spicy_Horse

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's really weird how hostile this thread got at the suggestion that maybe we should try to get more people who aren't white or hispanic dudes into the community. :psyduck: Like, it was worded in kind of a confrontational and jargon-y way, but it's not a bad sentiment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
every now and then i get an urge to replay AVP Classic and i get a level in and then i'm like "oh poo poo this game has facehuggers" and all the childhood PTSD from those horrible little fuckers comes rushing back and i'm uninstalling it all like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bouchacha posted:

Well that depends on which gameplay mods, right?

Not really, actually, any level packs that mess with the weapons or enemies won't play nicely with the majority of gameplay mods.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I played Rage the other day. Can you guys believe it's from the same studio behind Doom? :(

...yeah? The actual shootmans in Rage was pretty loving great, honestly. iD just never managed to wrap their heads around modern game design, and lost any good rep they could trade on before the poo poo they're actually good at came back in vogue.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why use Chocolate Doom and not Zandronum or GZDoom, out of curiosity? Are the latter just updated too often?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Quake has a nightmare difficulty, hard is basically UV.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know, I seriously have to wonder why more indie devs don't gently caress around with any of the open-source idTech engines, given how hot "old-school style FPSes" were for a while. You'd think making a new IWAD for the Doom engine (or poo poo, messing with one of the Quake engines) wouldn't be that tall of an order.

e: where I'm going with this is, a full game built around DoomRPG/DoomRLA's mechanics would kick so much rear end

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh... in DoomRPG/DoomRLA I just got a nuclear powered BFG. What the gently caress does this thing do other than kill me, exactly? It seems like I can't get it to fire, just overload.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder why more Doom ports don't have split-screen multiplayer. Seems like it would be trivial enough, even though it would also require better controller support.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Holy poo poo did yall make this because I mentioned how cool it would be if DoomRPG/DoomRLA was its own indie game? This loving owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
How the hell do some of those Build glitches even happen? :psyboom: The double-door thing and Duke dying from running into a control panel are just baffling to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

They're all the same basic glitch, you move so fast and hit a moving object, so you clip through it. In Duke 3D, if you are inside terrain the engine automatically crushes you, so basically all of these glitches are falling out of the map bounds.

That still doesn't explain how the poo poo double doors manage to break reality. That's like Space Station 13 or Dwarf Fortress levels of bizarre glitching.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What early FPSes support local multiplayer other than Serious Sam, if any? I'm really curious, 4-player Quake deathmatches on the couch without having to gently caress with an N64 would be rad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

And finally I discovered EGwhaven. I don't have the Witchaven games but I'm curious about them, even knowing that they're supposedly quite bad. Has anybody tried it?

They're pretty fun, but keep in mind I'm saying this from the perspective of someone with huge nostalgia for them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

laserghost posted:

At least no one tries to defend Redneck Rampage. Well, the soundtrack was really good.

I like Redneck Rampage decently enough! It's not "one of the greatest FPS of all time" tier like Duke and Blood, but it takes a solid third place for me.

(Shadow Warrior, race issues aside, is way the gently caress too hard even compared to Duke, which is not an easy game to begin with.)

e: honestly it's kind of a running theme with Build games that they're all way harder than they reasonably should be, but it's particularly egregious with Shadow Warrior.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 31, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
mods namechange me to "Shut The gently caress Up Woolie Wool"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

They all have pretty good first person modes. I played the whole of Hitman 2 in first person and loved it.

They're not really designed around it, though, and it looks janky as hell (47's guns are always tiny).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have definitely played AVP2 successfully on a computer with lots of USB poo poo plugged in, I think it just doesn't play nice with newer Windows without a patch. (which, iirc, exists.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

I can name a few issues with it compared to the Saturn version - and did, in the Doomworld thread, in fact - though it's still fairly completable, sure. (And really, not having played the PS1 version, it's hard to say how much was a PS1 vs. Saturn difference as opposed to a PS1 vs. EX difference.)

My understanding is that there are significant differences between the two console versions, yeah.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:getin:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

What is this?

Reelism. Gunfinity means infinite ammo, Bullet Hoses means automatic weapons (so auto shotguns, M60s, miniguns, and assault rifles), and Friendship is Tragic means harmless brony enemies.

On my first reel of that game, I got to mulch about a hundred bronies with a minigun without letting go of the mouse button.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man I would give The Kins all of the money if a standalone release of Reelism with split-screen support came out

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So wait... why, exactly, is TerminX taking the high ground about all the Gearbox stuff he knows? He's not under an NDA, so it won't gently caress him in court, and they're not exactly doing a lot to foster good will from him. And he's past the point of an out-of-court settlement, apparently, given that even Gearbox's lawyers are stonewalling his lawyer, so he doesn't need the leverage for that.

Put me in his shoes and I'd be doing everything I could to gently caress up Gearbox's plans.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...er, how? It seems like they're already reaching maximum dick, given that they're pretty much guaranteed to end up in court with him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

What a magnificent shitfight.

Holy poo poo. Open the blood gates. :unsmigghh:

Heavy Metal posted:

Doom 2 (just lists Doom)

To be fair, people don't really tend to consider Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom separate games nowadays, they're just four different chunks of Doom.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: accidental double post

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

Reading that TerminX post it sounds like Megaton edition might be left behind while Gearbox make their own source port? Might not be a terrible thing if so, I'm not really a fan of Megaton (especially the hor- FOV in widescreen)

... it has hor- FOV? how the gently caress does that even work :psyduck:

(or did you mean vert-?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

Gah, I meant vert- sorry!

Okay, that makes more sense, I thought they hosed it up and somehow managed to lose horizontal space in widescreen. Which would be a monumental fuckup, but pretty par for the course given Gearbox.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

my bony fealty posted:

*not including NAM... Extreme Paintbrawl

I dunno, I'd actually really dig a new legit 'Nam FPS? Battlefield Vietnam and Vietcong were both loving awesome games, so I feel like Flying Wild Hog would do some pretty sweet work with NAM. Ditto a paintball game that actually had effort put into it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jehde posted:

That ball is in Tripwire's court. The environment design is spot on, but who knows if they'll follow through with the gameplay. Caustiously optimistic.

e: Give Flying Wild Hog the Blood series instead. pls

I'm thinking less Apocalypse Now and more Nam's Angels or Rambo for a theoretical NAM remake, which seems more in Flying Wild Hog's wheelhouse. And yeah, Blood would be probably the best fit for them.

e: I mean, the plot of NAM is that you're a genetically engineered super soldier thrown into the jungles of Vietnam.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Where do I get Hardcore Doom Wars? I was laughing uncontrollably through about half of that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Buca di Bepis posted:

as if console FPS controls are some new invention.

It doesn't seem like new Doom has auto-aim tbf