Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So is there a consensus opinion on what went down with Jon? I've been lurking for the last few weeks but haven't seen any real mention of the subject.

I'm of the belief that he's served his purpose by getting the wildlings over the wall, so that's it. But my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

reread the prologue to adwd

Haha. poo poo. I never would have given that a second thought if not for the re-reading.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

nah that was feast, in adwd a warg dies and tries to take over someone else's body

Yeah, the warg dealioo and Jon's stabbing definitely book-end the…uh…book.

Rannos22 posted:

Not only that but he's got a red priest with him too. There's basically no way Jon is dead.

Whodat? Not Mel. I must be forgetting something here.

Christ, I was kind of hoping Jon was going to be dead just to end one thread in this monstrosity of a tale.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 14, 2014

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

And yet Dinklage's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves accent gets a pass…

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the books wasn't it the case that the Sons of the Harpy were more of a shadow org where no one ever really know anything about them other than that they were killing people on the sly? I'm looking at several dozen dead bodies in the show here and thinking, if I'm Dany, I just figure out who these dead people are and proceed to kill every single one of their family members.

Then I find out who their acquaintances were and kill every one of them, and every one of their family members.

Idunno…maybe I'm misremembering things here and/or a horrible person. But the HBO representation doesn't really pass the psychopath test insofar as you now have a bayesian cross section of a poo poo ton of the individuals you're trying to fight :iiam:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

No one else disappointed they turned the white walkers into World War Z style fast zombies? Complete with an overhead shot of whatshername being "eaten" by zombie kids (what?) I mean I get that they are zombies in the book, but I always pictured them…differently. Not as parkour skeletons.

Special effects were great, though. So that was nice. Seems like maybe all the Night's King wants is some lotion?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 1, 2015

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hunky Joe posted:

Honestly I liked the zombies and find fast moving ones to be more of a threat but I guess you can't please everyone. How about medium speed zombies? Would that be better? How about we make them werewolves too or they can fly? Because you know if they made them shambling dead like TWD you'd start crying about how boring and cliche zombies are.

Zombies are a metaphor for the slow, plodding, inexorable nature of death. It's why fast zombies as a thing are dumb (unless they are infected…with Rage!). What makes zombies scary is the fact that it doesn't matter that you are faster and smarter than them. They just don't stop coming.

More to the point, the slow, plodding, inexorable nature of zombies as a trope fits with the slow, plodding, inexorable nature of The Others.

Also, If you're Ice Maul and you have an unlimited supply of parkour zombies, what has been stopping you from killing everyone/everything south of The Wall until just now? Well, I mean, other than Gurm not writing it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Book Stannis (hereafter referred to as Stanny B) not much of a believer in Melisandre's hocus pocus? Yes, she killed his brother with a spooky ghost. But otherwise, he seemed to think she was effective, but probably a little loopy too. More of a magician than a representative of the one true god. No?

The Shireen scene seems out of character for that reason too. Maybe I'm missing some passages where he effuses, "There is no god but R'hllor, and Melisandre is his prophet." :shrug:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The key to a good hot dog is to make sure the bun is warm too, then toss on lots of diced onions, pickle relish, mustard, ketchup and then throw it away and eat a brat like a normal human being you savages.

"Tyrion broke his fast on cow lips and pig buttholes."

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 2, 2015

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A1 is steak sauce of course you're supposed to put it on your steak. just like hamburger sauce on your hamburgers, and cocktail sauce on your cocktails.

LOL if you use butter to cook steak and are not actually Alain Ducasse

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 4, 2015

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

OK, perhaps most plebs cannot manage to make a chuck not suck? Seriously, I have never had brisket done anywhere that was better than the slow cooked dry rubbed chuck I make.

Stop ordering slices from the flat :shrug:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The absolute fucker posted:

I worked on the book a couple of days ago.

I think I see your problem…

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Wait so is it OK to spoil Lady Stoneheart to show watchers now?

Cilantro tastes like the leftovers from two dandelions aggressively fisting each other.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 24, 2016

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

are there any fantasy stories that are like got but without all the dumb magical bullshit and extraneous others?

Yeah, The Plantagenets.

is TWOW out yet?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

All the show talk and no one else is annoyed that Jon peaced out from Castle Black with nothing but a shirt and skinny jeans?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

MG3 posted:

So hodor was hosed by fate. His future shaped his past. What a mindfuck

Wait 'til you find out he is actually also one of the fast zombies that killed himself.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How many ships did Asha and Theon steal? A few hundred?

How, exactly is Urn going to build-and-sail 1000 ships? Seemed like there about 28 Iron Born left at the end of that scene.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ramsay's bullshit about "you can't kill me, I'm a part of you now" coupled with Sansa's secret smile after she offs him is meant to show she's a sadist now too. My hypothesis is that she came in after all of Jon's mans were getting slaughtered because she could. Littlefinger + Ramsay basically turned her into a secret sociopath.

Alternative hypothesis: show watchers are terrible people and her creepy revenge-smile is OK because Ramsay totally deserved what he got. She forgot to tell Jon about the Vale army because she was thinkin' about something else.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 20, 2016

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

OK so it occurs to me when Sam rolls into the Citadel, it's not inside the lighthouse is it?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

At least we finally found out why it's called King's Landing.

Oh Jesus, at first I was like "Heyooooooo" but then I realized the Gurm probably had that in the hopper the whole time. I don't know what to believe anymore. This whole story is going to end in one big loving pun, isn't it?

I'm now 90% certain the magic that keeps the Night's King from getting past The Wall lives inside an actual, physical watch.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 28, 2016

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Seriously though, why at some point wouldn't someone have installed a more comfy throne? Or at least throw a couple of cushions on that bad boy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

its a metaphor

Probably the least subtle one in the books, yeah. I'm just saying maybe Gurm could have also metaphored up a couple of pillows.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You guys I'm pretty sure Euron is bringing Cersei back a motorcycle.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

As the show drifts ever further from the source material, both the dialogue and logical consistency become exponentially worse.

My by calculation, we are less than three episodes away from Tyrion calling something "savage."

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Based on the costume trajectory alone I'm 95% certain this story winds up in space.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Did they changed the unsulied uniform? It really had a very bad cheap sci-fi look last episode

I haven't gone back and watched Season 1, but it certainly feels like the costumes are getting more…fashion oriented(?) as opposed to being period specific, but with a dash of flare. I could be completely full of poo poo but I can't be bothered to go back and look.

But speaking of going back and looking at things, I just checked the spoiler post from a few pages back and boy howdy should there be a lot more bold now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

C'mon, that's like the ONE idea the show actually bothered to address. Namely, that if she introduces herself by using eunuch robots to starve the capital while letting Dothraki rape and pillage the Crownlands, she'll be so hated that ruling King's Landing will make Meeeeerreeeeen look like a walk in the park.

Hence why the exotic brigade teleported to the Westerlands, while the Tyrells and the Dornish are supposed to be the ones taking King's Landing - they've done it before, no biggie, and they don't care if the Crownlands hate them. Not clear if that army is still on its way (and Cersei will need another rear end-pull to deal with it) or if it's supposed to have been intercepted by Jaime, or if it's gone over to Tarly with the QoT dead.

Dany: I can't possibly kill anyone while becoming Queen then everyone would hate me and that would be bad.

Jaime: So what that my sister's destroying the seven kingdoms no one will care when there's finally peace :shrug:

edit: I guess this is actually consistent, but it still seems dumb to me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

“You loving idiot.” - Tyrion Lannister.

poetry.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I choose to believe we're living in a neverending story meta universe where the reason the others haven't crossed the wall in the show is because they have to wait for it to fall in the book :colbert:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Pete's Dragon best dragon

falcor and it's not even close.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

He was actually pretty good

Yeah, his "Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhggggghhhhhh" was pretty immersive.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I do dig the moral ambiguity they brought back with the Dany thing. It's really felt like things were becoming too black and white in the last two seasons, with Cersei turning pure heel as a case in point. In the books I always took her as more of an unfortunately raised narcissist who couldn't quite get her head around why everyone hated her. Show Cersei just feels boring and one-dimensional.

The idea that no one is 100% good or evil seems to have been lost on the show runners either because they don't care, or they don't have time anymore to do that kind of character development.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 14, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sorry skimming last few pages, so the book is out but it's written in Spanish?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Cleganebowl is the Mountain vs Sandor, Arya and Nymeria which is some fuckin' bullshit because it's the Cleganebowl not the Clegane and friendsbowl.

OK sure the rest is dumb but I mean, whatever, we all just want to see how this whole fiasco ends. But this poo poo right here? This is unconscionable.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

All my Social Media friends are very angry at GRRM, specifically, for the poor overall quality of last few episodes. I don't know if that is hilarious or sad.

Probably both.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

syscall girl posted:

For all his faults read his writing credits before you go hitting him for the television program he's been adapting into a series of novels

That's what's so funny to me. I feel like it's fitting that he has to own the awful, awful end to a series he's now got pretty much nothing to do with

e: also this.

https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/900968293955129345

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 26, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Did Danaerys get Aegon her face last night?

:discourse:

Why did Samwise have to tell Bran about the marriage in the first place if he can already see everything?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

No, I'm saying he's bad in both shows. His line readings are so labored, with the weird, deliberate cadence of someone trying his hardest to speak in an accent different from his own. Dominic West sucked, too, but at least he just barreled forward, allowing his brogue to slip through. Dinklage's accent is awful, but he's good enough otherwise that you can write it off as "fantasy English".

Which is super confusing because you can totally get away with an Irish accent in a fantasy show. Irish accents are extra dope. I don't understand why Gillen didn't just let 'er rip, unless he actually sounds like lucky charms or something.

And yeah, Dinklage's accent is, uh, Costneresque.

I think more actors would be better served if they'd just go with their natural accents and let their acting + the plot overcome any fourth-wall-breakage it induces. See also: Sean Connery.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

it would be kind of confusing for two brothers to have American and Danish accents I think

This show has armies teleporting across space and time, while Valhalla Ice raises an undead dragon with his just his hands. But different accents might strain credulity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

some guy on the bus posted:

Happy birthday George RR Martin! Congrats to reaching the sex age!