Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Simon Draskovic posted:

I really liked him, too. It's pretty obvious that even if the Iron Bank doesn't generally charge usurious rates and act as loan sharks, they are stone loving cold bastards when it comes to people who can't or won't pay them back. The banker has this sort of quiet conviction in the knowledge that he speaks for an incredibly powerful institution, the kind that doesn't take 'No' for an answer, and is really holding himself above all these petty Westerosi squabbles.

Masters Valiant and Balk...

yeah, the Banker was awesome

I also pitied the dragons, even Drogon. All they want is their mommy. :( Dany is a pretty bad queen and a horrible mother.

EDIT: Seriously, what a retard. You have dragons and you don't even need them full sized to conquer Westeros. Go to Westeros with the Golden company and Unsullied and rest of your army. Return ten years later with a massive full grown dragon army and the resources of a continent at your back and end the slave trade overnight by threatening to burn every slave trader if they continue. Burn the dothraki too if they try to gently caress with you.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh yeah, and anyone here who doesn't think that Aegon/Young Griff is actually Aegon? Remember, the Golden Company is full of descendants of silver-haired Targaryen bastards (Daemon's five sons, Aerion, rest of the Blackfyre pretenders over the years). Varys and Illyrio probably had one lying around somewhere.

The way he was just introduced seemed waaayyy too easy for me.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Arturo Ui posted:

I think this post is right on. I feel like GRRM is becoming too obsessed with creating a huge world and having a back story for every drat character than actually moving the plot along. For example, in the only Jaime chapter in the entire book, we read more about the history of the Bracken and Blackwood houses than what Jaime actually does.

Yeah, I'm the first to defend his world building and that history was still awesome and interesting, but that one got pretty ridiculous. Not sure why that chapter was in the books at all, it might have served as the opening Jaime chapter in AWOW but seemed like an completely useless addition here.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

NihilCredo posted:

:eng101: Bittersteel and Bloodraven were the sons of Bracken and Blackwood mothers, respectively. The passage explains quite a bit about why the chips fell that particular way during the Blackfyre Rebellion :eng101:

Yeah, the book really gave a lot of information about the Rebellion. Like how Daemon Blackfyre rebelled over a woman and not because he was a greedy bastard. That will probably tie up on Aegon who might have that name, but who I'm 99% certain is not Aegon VI, son of Rhaegar.

But having it take up 60% of a Jaime chapter wasn't the best decision from a writing viewpoint.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sarkozymandias posted:

And yet in like four chapters he's closer to conquering Westeros than Daenerys in five books. I don't care if he's fake, he should probably win.

Oh, totally. Daenerys doesn't deserve the dragons.

I mean I don't care either way, I'm rooting for Stannis.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You learn about Bloodraven's parentage in the short stories. Not in the comic versions though, I think.

I had no idea he would be the three-eyed crow though, that was pretty awesome. Secret Targ (kind of)! :black101:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think I read through this entire thread, and I can't believe this wasn't posted yet.

quote:

"Other times, when he was tired of being a ____, Bran slipped into Hodor's ____ instead. The gentle giant would whimper when he felt him, and trash his shaggy head from side to side, but not as violently as he had the first time, back at Queenscrown. He knows it's me, the boy liked to tell himself. He's used to me by now. Even so, the he never felt comfortable inside Hodor's ____. The big stableboy never understood what was happening, and Bran could taste the ____ at a back of his mouth. It was better inside Summer. I am him, and he is me. He feels what I feel."

Redact four words and it rivals some of the worst Wild Cards poo poo posted in the bad thread.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, Dany has no complications about nailing hundred people on loving crosses and let them die in agony for days, but he can't take a man from every major house and do the same two times when her rule over the city is threatened?

If I was Dany, I'd let Shavepate rule with an iron hand, Barristan and Grey Worm focus on war and spend all my days training my motherfucking dragons so even if all else failed I could wipe any army who would dare to march against me off the map.

It wouldn't make for much of an interesting book, but it all made me really frustrated.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Iggles posted:

I'd think that after spending 100 years as a tree he wouldn't have to feud against the distant (possible) descendant of some guy he didn't like

Plus if Aegon is really Aegon (which I to be honest, doubt), he's the descendant of Daeron (the good), Bloodraven's brother who he loved.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So hey, I just reread Dance again, nobody actually believes that this is the real Aegon, right? It's obvious that Varys and Illyrio just found a Blackfyre bastard of a bastard who looked like the kid and gave him to Jon Connington to raise? I mean they emphasize the lineage of Golden Company so much that I can't see it being anything else.

I bet he's actually Maelys the Monstrous's twin brother who survived the war of Ninepenny Kings.
I expect this to be revealed in yet another Dragon roast moment.

Anyone else like the fact that the dragons are actually developing distinct personalities too? I love how the two just started loving around in Mereen as soon as they were released with no intention of leaving until their mommy comes and gets them. :allears:

too bad she's busy making GBS threads herself in the Dothraki sea

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 30, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He's dedicated to money and you can depend on him to back you up if you're paying him well.

Well, he's more dedicated to his life. But money comes as a close second...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Weird given that GRRM consults for the writers and is actually a writer on the show.

Uh, no he isn't. They may say that he is, but the Mountain Who Doesn't Write doesn't write despite what the medium is. It's just another way to finance his lemoncakes and underaged prostitutes. The writer credit he gets goes a long way of getting him enough cash to keep those addictions running.

In the past he may have shouted something on the telephone between all the eating and fat loving, judging that the first season was vastly superior to what we have been getting in the second. But it's obvious that anything anyone hears now when calling his number is unintelligible sounds of him snorting and stuffing food to his gaping maw with periodic high-pitched sobbing coming from the background.

So you know, they kind of have to do their own thing now.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Robb's child was aborted, I'm pretty sure.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Greatbacon posted:

Wouldn't you be excited if a song about a bear raping a maiden were socially acceptable?

(That is what the song is about right? I sort of skimmed over that part cause songs in fantasy books give me gas.)

:aaa: Tormund Giantsbane is the Maiden Fair

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been catching up with the latest(?) episode and the simple shrug Arya does when said that she lacks honor is simply what makes her the best Stark. Can't remember if that part was in the books or not.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm seeing 'shippers' and 'wildcards' thrown about a whole lot in this thread. What do they mean?

Imagine the worst, most sickest depravity that you can imagine. The thread where wildcards spawn from creates such scenes every day.

Now imagine how twisted of a gently caress you have to be to make those guys sick. That's the shippers.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

whowhatwhere posted:

you wouldn't mindrape Hodor like that

quote:

Oth­er times, when he was tired of be­ing a wolf, Bran slipped in­to Hodor’s skin in­stead. The gen­tle gi­ant would whim­per when he felt him, and thrash his shag­gy head from side to side, but not as vi­olent­ly as he had the first time, back at Queen­scrown. He knows it’s me, the boy liked to tell him­self. He’s used to me by now. Even so, he nev­er felt com­fort­able in­side Hodor’s skin. The big sta­ble­boy nev­er un­der­stood what was hap­pen­ing, and Bran could taste the fear at the back of his mouth. It was bet­ter in­side Sum­mer. I am him, and he is me. He feels what I feel.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kcroy posted:

And wtf is the Dance of Dragons anyway?

The Targaryen Civil War where most of their dragons got killed. It's mentioned half a dozen times in books.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dance_of_the_Dragons

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

jsoh posted:

i think jon betraying his oath and the civil war brewing in the north is kind of plotty.

The North sections redeem the book. Wyman Manderly being a scheming badass, the Bolton Alliance collapsing in Winterfell, Mance loving poo poo up, Lady Dustin and the reveals that Aerys was pretty much right to suspect everybody (!), Melisandre turning out to be decent, Stannis building a master plan to crush the opposing forces in the village, secret from almost everyone...proving once again that he is the best military mind in the books by far (something that many readers miss). Jon is the most boring part of the North plotline in ADWD.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Benjen was First Ranger, he wasn't really a nobody. Probably want to find out what got your top guy killed.

Mormont was a dumbass about it, though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I do love how everyone who claimed that the show is going to do some superior re-telling of the books got to eat poo poo. The show is worse. There is no relief or respite from the wait. Only Gurm.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I stopped watching the show two episodes into this season and everything people are writing about sounds like the worst fan fic ever.

Seriously, the schadenfreude I'm feeling for all the people who thought the show was going to rescue this is magnificent. You dared to have hope, you dared to feel some sort of trust that some outside savior is going to bring you satisfaction, and you ended up with worse filler rape bullshit that GRRM could dream in his sleep, only with a million dollar budget. I mean we already saw this with the shitshow that was the show's Qarth but right now it's like the spirit of this thread manifested in HBO's offices and possessed the writing staff.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SaviourX posted:

Haven't had a big :goonsay: in a while, so I gotta say that I would have much, much rather GRRM have grown the cancers that took Bowie, Lemmy, and Rickman.

Sorry but the motherfucker is going to live for five hundred years, if he hasn't died by a heart attack now he has impenetrable genetics.

Yet in all his centuries he will not finish the book.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zenithe posted:

Preston Jacobs review of the episode is awesome. I think he's given up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JxoX0Y59yQ

Glorious, especially the "previously on game of thrones" parody.

edit. Chad Summerchild

You know, I don't really care that much about the books anymore. Sometimes I pop in to this thread or elsewhere see what's going on with them and it's always "Oh not finished yet. What a surprise."

I also stopped watching the show around season...4? But sometimes I pop in to see what the TV show is doing and it's always :wtc:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Having limited familiarity with Sandman, I'm looking forward to it just for Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer

Ooh, that sounds good.

As someone who is incredibly familiar with Sandman...there is no way they pull the show off, but if they do, then goddamn. Inspired casting there though, positive sign.

Either way it can't be worse then Lucifer the TV show...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr. Grapes! posted:

As far as I understood it, he is basically a Joffrey that got to grow up. He's a petulant little entitled shithead, but you are pretty much inevitably going to be decent at fighting if you're the son of a rich noble house. Your only job is really learning how to fight since childhood, and you've got the best trainers, weapons, and armor that money can buy. It's not completely ridiculous that he knows what he is doing because he has had every possible advantage to do it, and he still gets clowned on in the tournament by prematurely celebrating victory.

The only reason Joffrey didn't get good at fighting was that his mom was overly protective and wouldn't allow anyone to hurt her widdle baby, but if King Robert had his way then that kid would have been out jousting and bashing poo poo with axes. It probably would have made him an even bigger rear end in a top hat if he had the power to gently caress people up himself instead of just ordering his goons to do it.

Yeah, whipping someone nearly to death for bad news is definitely Joffrey-like and honestly Daemon isn't that smart either.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kylaer posted:

Realistically an heir and future ruler's main job would be to learn how to rule, not just how to fight, but GRRM never did a good job of portraying that either.

He wasn't expected to be a heir for most of his life. Viserys was. Then their dad died and the succession crisis happened. Before that Daemon had already given Dark Sister in recognition of his skill by Jaehaerys I. Everyone expected Viserys, young as he was, to have sons of his own (and he will eventually have three). Makes sense for him to have focused just on fighting.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kylaer posted:

Oh, I was talking about Joffrey, I don't care about the expanded universe nonsense.

Uh, both of Joffrey's parents sucked, kind of hard to miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Barreft posted:

It's very obvious by now that GRRM doesn't know how to write poo poo except some Crusader Kings lineage stuff

Speaking of, in case your love for the books hasn't been sapped by the literal decades of waiting for their completion, and you want to scratch that Gurm-itch still, I started my own collaborative fan-fic project in the guise of CKII Let's Play. You don't have to create a character to participate in the main Targ voting and suggestions otherwise are appreciated as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012153

I figured there might be some interest even here, in the Pit of Despair.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 12, 2022