Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I haven't actually looked it up, but based on what I've heard/seen, didn't season 5 win like more emmys than ever, and was considered a huge success, despite it being hot garbage? I expect it to continue to explode into season 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

i only made it like a quarter of the way through ADWD, is it worth finishing?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not even GRRM thought so

:perfect:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mnemosyne posted:

Did that dragon piss his suit?

If you watch the entire clip, he did actually.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They waited just as long for all the iron born stuff, so I can see them waiting this long to bring back Cat. What I don't know is how they're going to deal with her being a body that was dead for so long, probably several months .

Lycus posted:

It would've been dumb for Thoros to vanish into thin air with or without Stoneheart. They can use the Brotherhood for something else if they want to, they got three bookless seasons to write.

Also, McShane said he was bringing back a beloved character. Haha, no one loved Catelyn.

Someone loved Cat.

Only cat.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How does it feel knowing that this lovely tv show written by two hacks is going to be the only resolution to this story that you'll ever get?

I would pay real money for someone to ask that question to GRRM at a panel somewhere.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kcroy posted:

or is it?

Yes actually, it is.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Both those books were awful bloat no one gives a poo poo about. In a tighter, well written series that actually has a chance of finishing, world building can be fun and interesting, but when you know this is all you're going to loving get for the next decade, you want some actual progression, and god forbid, resolution, not a thousand pages of stalling.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It sucks to know these books will never be finished, but I am consoled by the fact that having your magnum opus stolen out from underneath you and finished by someone else and their version will completely eclipse anything you've ever done has to suck a lot more, and the absolute fucker is suffering more than I ever will.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

hobbesmaster posted:

Nah

He'll just write 2/3 of each story then get bored

He'll start writing the first story, then partway through change his mind about several key plot points, get rid of the planned time skip, add about 4 books worth of world building and bloat, *then* quit 2/3s the way through.

Then he'll die, and we'll finally be free.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TommyGun85 posted:

its sad that his fans have nothing going on in their own lives that they have to resort to hating a gigantic nerd who hit it big and is now enjoying the twilight years of his life.

especially when the lightning in a bottle that made him famous isnt even that good in the first place.

It's not like checking this thread once every few weeks and commenting on the absolute fucker is some kind of full time job

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The last 2 seasons were shortened and delayed because they're CG heavy as gently caress, they announced this towards the end of last season. The need the same amount (or probably event more) money, and more time for less episodes because of dragons and zombies.

I remember a ton of rumors and talk last year about how the book was totally coming out to coincide with season 6. Hell, season 5 probably did the same thing. It'll never happen.

There's a lot more plot armor and predictable outcomes now, but that's an unavoidable side effect of being this far into a story that's too drat long. How could there be any sort of coherent narrative if Dany died on the way back to her home planet continent? You can't keep killing off characters who have been around since season 1, because there's so few left now, and someone needs to live to accomplish something. Even if the story didn't become overly bloated, we all know this was going to end in fantasy dragons and ice zombies, even if it did a great job of making us forget this from time to time.

Finally, I thought season 4 was middling, and season 5 was down right garbage (except Hardhome) but season 6 started okay and got steadily better until the last two episodes, which were some of the best episodes of the series.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

IRQ posted:

I don't think anyone genuinely cares if the books come out at this point.

We'll read them, but it's like they'd suck anyway so whatever.

I used to look forward to reading his excuses about why the books are done, but even those have dried up lately. Remember that year he wrote a really long heartfelt explanation on Dec 31st about why the books weren't finished that year, but then his blogging software ate it, so instead we just got a short paragraph about how blogging software sucks and his assurances that the no longer existing post was really good?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

He has both of them done and will publish them footage of himself burning the only copy when the last HBO show is airing.

It is known

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Judging by the length of your posts, I think you might actually be King's illegitimate son.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Penny Arcade is by far the most popular webcomic to ever exist. I think we'd all be lying to ourselves if we pretended that success didn't have something to do with all the goon antagonism. I used to read them semi frequently but lost interest years ago. After being around for almost 20 years and making 3 comics a week for that whole time, it's easy to find several examples of lovely comics if you really wanted. They're okay but hardly worth having a strong opinion about either way.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

syscall girl posted:

Achewood, dude

Popular, not best.

Achewood has spent a good chunk of the last 10 years on hiatus.

Penny Arcade has several comics on their site, multiple yearly cons all over the world, multiple seasons of a reality show, dozens of books, and as of ~8 years ago a good 30 people working for them. It's probably tripled since then.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kcroy posted:

Glad she got stuff normal. I was surprised that she was cute. I don't know why that surprised me but it did. My favorite one was the track/field one where she has heat exhaustion.. and her cycle of despair stuff + descriptions of depression are pretty bang on.

Oh that reminded me of explodingdog.com. I really enjoyed when those would come out - sort of the cognitive dissonance between reading the phrase, and seeing his comic execution always gave me a smile.

If Hyperbole and a Half is a comic it's definitely my favorite. If there was an easy way to do it, I'd frame the entire article on Why I'll Never Be An Adult and put it on my wall so I can just point to it when explaining things to people. Right at the end of her ...troubles, she did an interview on Fresh Air where she broke down and told Terry Gross all about her (semi-former) suicide plans and it was super heart wrenching. I'm sure doubly so for her poor fiance who was also hearing all this stuff for the first time live on the radio.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Dragons look like they are uncomfortable as gently caress to ride. How many spines is she getting stabbed with up there?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Has he seriously kept the exact same scraggly rear end facial hair for over 40 years now?

Also there's a new trailer for the next season if you're into that kind of poo poo. I guess Cersei pulls a brand new fresh Lannister army out of her rear end, unless maybe they came from one of her many allies. Wait, no.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

syscall girl posted:

Wouldn't the boys of summer come rolling in pretty hard after the queen of thorns and queen cat-hater had a fiery accident.

Even or especially on faulty information and bad tweets?

Not even the ignorant fucks in Kings Landing can wonder about who was responsible for murdering literally every noble in the city who isn't named Cersei. And the Queen of Thorns lives on, she noped out down to Dorne via Littlefinger's teleporter instead of going to church.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No one gives a gently caress about anything in this thread

Edit: This next season is probably going to be Dany resolving the southern politics, it'll probably look like a high stakes version of all the poo poo we've seen before, eventually resolving with everyone down there supporting her or dying, except littlefinger who will instigate some sort of conflict between her and the reformed North at the end that'll get interrupted by the White Walkers knocking down the wall.

This is the third season people have predicted would end with the wall coming down.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Hmm, point taken.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Man, we never even finished A Clash of Kinks/A Gash of Quims.

We stared overlong into the abyss :ohdear:

Maybe at that point the plot got too complex and bloated to finish. Fitting tribute.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You don't need to be a writer to advise someone to not take on 37 loving new projects that they don't need to take on. Some free advice for gurm right there.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I follow this thread because I believe the suffering Gurm has brought on himself is worse than the suffering he's brought onto the rest of us, and I wanna see him squirm as HBO steals his legacy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How does anyone even remember anymore, it's been so long.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

IRQ posted:

He's said he would write things different in the books from what the show has done just for the sake of it.

I mean, yes, lol at him writing anything, but of course he's a contrarian bitch about it.

This is technically correct, because the show's writing exists. Way to be unique Gurm.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fog Tripper posted:

Sup.

Anything to report in here?

Every character in the books is a secret rape baby of someone else. Also book not out.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was a lovely episode.

Not that it was bad per se, but there was just a lot of actual poo poo featured in that episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fhate posted:

Yeah they turned Show Stannis into a doofus.

It worked though! The weather broke and everything was melting. Shame it didn't matter of course.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how did Wun Wun go full zombo and why was Jorah hiding in a box?

All these questions never to be answered because gently caress you coherency!

None of those were Wun Wun, he died south of the wall. What, do all giants look the same to you, loving racist.

Was anyone else scanning all the zombies in that scene looking for zombie Hodor?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Jon read the name Night King when it was prematurely revealed on the HBO website, just like how everyone else learned the name.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Did he take that post down? It doesn't seem to be there anymore.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PupsOfWar posted:

being fair, everybody in westeros is inbred as hell, even discounting the targaryen and lannister sibling-incest

tywin and joanna were first cousins

rickard stark and his wife, lyarra stark, were first cousins

jon arryn and one of his wives were first cousins

redwyne is married to one or another of mace's sisters, a first cousin

throw in more distant cousins and it's pretty much everybody

world's full of cousin-fuckers top to bottom
aunt + nephew is genetically closer but who knows what they'd even count as weird

speaking of which, haven't we seen young melisandre without the choker

maybe they just hadn't yet decided she was a secret old lady, at the time

Doesn't matter who marries their first cousins, since every child born in Westeros is actually a secret rape baby.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought the Targs were pretty small frys in Valaria, and they happened to have a summer home on the outskirts of the empire or something and got really lucky. If it turns out they had a ~*~prophecy~*~ and received visions and they were destined to escape the doom that would be just loving terrible.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Stannis had given up hope and simply wanted to die in battle, rather than freeze to death.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Also the actor was old as balls and couldn't really do much in the way of badassery

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Lol my paraplegic friend who bikes to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bran talking about Sansa's wedding night was the most hosed up broke-brain poo poo in the show's history. It was the spoken equivalent of Bronn vs Sand Snakes.

I don't get why Bran seems like he's taken a bunch of Valium either. Maybe he's sad about Hodor and Bloodraven and w/e but how the gently caress does he act with no energy or emotion at all? At this point I suspect when he sees Jon it'll basically be ":geno: Jon you're actually our cousin, born to our aunt and Rhaegar. Dad claimed you as his to protect you as a vow he made to your mom as she died giving birth to you. You're a Targ bastard. :geno:"

But she doesn't want to be seen as a foreign invader. :ohdear:

...except she's going to do exactly that because Cersei is using map hacks.

Those shots were from the actual attack. Grey Worm didn't infiltrate Casterly Rock and open the gates with an army waiting right outside and zero fighting. Tyrion was just saying what would happen normally, while shots of the actual battle were being shown. And then he mentions his sex dungeon tunnel.

His first words with Jon are gonna be like "drat bro you looked so badass when you were eating out that wildling pussy in that cave! Natural redheads amirte?"