Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm having a lot of fun reading the pages of this thread where everyone was finishing DWD.

What's everyones thoughts on what Victarion Greyjoy is going to end up doing?

I think he'll be the catalyst for Dany finally leaving Essos, due to dragon-related shenanigans. And then he'll die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Victarion is so loving awesome in that image.

Who is the guy standing behind Strong Belwas (to the left)?
As well, who is the guy glowing green behind Melisandre?

I was able to name everyone of them besides these two.

Thoros of Myr?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I wonder what they'll end up doing with Nymeria and her pack of killer wolves? Arya leading a wolf army against the Others/Lannisters seems a little too obvious.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

2. Why didn't Daenyris fly away when Khal Jhoqo stumbled upon her eating a horse?

Beyond the diarrhea, I assume she intends to take over his Khalasar using her dragon powers.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elindale posted:

Wait, Baeric is dead, dead? Not just zombie dead like he was before? There are so many parts of this book I apparently just glossed over :psyduck:

He gave his zombie life to Cat.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Franken-Gregor. That much is obvious, which is why GRRM is going to pull the mask off and have him instead be some composite that has Gregor parts or something equally dumb, because it's a TWIST on CONVENTION.

WHOSE HEAD IS IT?! doesn't strike me as a particularly exciting mystery. OR DOES HE HAVE A HEAD AT ALL?!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jakabite posted:

One thing that always puzzled me with that image: what the gently caress are the brown blobs that appear to be growing out of the Hound's left leg?

Heads on pikes behind Joffrey.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Arms_Akimbo posted:

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html?2

A not that lovely excerpt from winds of winter to complain about. Was this posted?

I hadn't seen it previously. Kind of expected it to be a joke and was pleasantly surprised!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

The Whispering Wood on the show kinda bewildered me. I mean, it's like the whole chapter was written with a limited-budget show in mind, but they still just skipped to the end.

Having not read the books at the time I still felt a little cheated by the lack of Forks battle, but I thought it was a cool surprise that while the Lannisters thought they were kicking Stark rear end Robb actually pulled one over on them.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Game of Thrones valentines.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

GRRM was in Toronto this past weekend being interviewed by the Space channel. I'd upload the photo, but imgur is being a dipshit right now, so trust me; it was grrim.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I had no one to talk shop about asoiaf with so my gal let me spoil the poo poo out of it for her, it's fun watching the show now because it's not even episode 3 and I'm like "Yeah, they never see eachother again" at least 3 times.

Yeah, I'm re-watching and all of those scenes make me sad in advance.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Sweet As Sin posted:

Who is going to play Ygritte on the series? I didn't find her on IMDB. Does anyone know?

You know nothing, Sweet As Sin.

Her name is Rose Leslie, and she can also be seen on Downton Abbey apparently.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Sophia posted:

But as a long-time ASOIAF book hater (still have not managed to make it through the entire series without giving up in disgust) I'm just hoping that people can have a nice time with a TV show that I actually liked.

I don't understand this point of view. The books and TV show really didn't seem all that different to me, aside from less food descriptions on the show and more sexposition. I could understand being more bored with reading than watching, but "disgusted" is a pretty strong stance.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Here we go, a Secret Stark.

That last one is the least sexy sexy pose I've seen in awhile.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 26, 2012

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Sophia posted:

It really does make me disgusted to read something with so much wasted potential. He created a great world and some great characters in interesting political situations and then made them terrible over 4 more books. The show, at least, seems to be run by people who make smart editorial decisions about what matters in the story (political connections, character feelings towards each other, machinations) and what doesn't (long donkey rides up to the Eyrie, people swinging swords at each other, a bunch of confusing flashback scenes to some Tower that still hasn't had its importance explained) so I have hope they'll continue to hack away at the bloated fat of the story and come up with something more compelling than Martin could.

Okay, that makes more sense and I agree entirely - recent books have been pretty unfocused and have made many characters a lot less interesting. I thought you meant "disgusted" in terms of offended or disturbed by the content.

I share your hope that the people in charge of the show will streamline things to make them more effective, and based on the first season they're doing pretty good so far.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 26, 2012

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

bigmcgaffney posted:

Speculation that Gendry is the dark-haired son of Cersei and Robert is the saddest speculation because said child doesn't actually exist in the books and no one can tell them :ohdear:

:wookie:

Speculation that Gendry does anything of interest is pretty sad in general.

I guess he has two more books in which to be useful, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

So for those who watched the next episode: Stannis is just screwing Melisandre because he wants to get laid, or is there some other reason?

She says he has to give himself fully to the lord to win the throne and also she'll give him sons. She does not mention that they will be murderous shadow sons.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Trico posted:

Stannis and Melisandre gettin' it on in the books was always implied either through dialogue or somebody's interior monologue right? I can't remember an actual seduction scene.

Yeah, Mel mentions he hasn't been warming her bed lately.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

What part is the show at? I dont watch the show. Some guy just posted something on facebook and I want to make sure I'm spoiling stuff for them that hasnt already happened.

Edit: Has Robb died? Theon been tortured? Tywin?
Any other big stuff I should spoil?

For the deaths: no, no, and no.

The show is near the beginning of book 2. Arya's on the kingsroad, Tyrion just got back to King's Landing, Dany is wandering around in the desert without making GBS threads herself, the Watch is at Craster's, and Theon just got back to Pyke.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

So what should I spoil?

I wouldn't spoil anything because I'm not a jerk, but "Bran is a psychic tree" is one of the things I would least have expected at the outset of the series.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Anywho, GRRM is doing another Winds of Winter reading tomorrow; second half of Victarion's chapter and part of a Tyrion chapter.

Already done - it was noon GMT, so like 7am EST. It was broadcast on Ustream so hopefully video/transcriptions will surface.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

nwin posted:

So I've seen a few times r+l=j saying that Jon is targaryen...I'll admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to reading between the lines in these books...would someone mind explaining?

Some readers believe that Lyanna ran away with Rheager willingly and was not kidnapped. Ned has a flashback (or dream, I forget) about rescuing her wherein she was lying in a bloody bed and had him promise to do something. Coincidentally, the most honourable Ned Stark came home from the war with a "bastard" son.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

I hate fighting games, but if this were made and allowed me to throw a hadoken as Hodor, I would get it just for that.

HODORKEN! :downs:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

The series will end with the entire continent (world?) in the middle of winter and everything is looking pretty terrible as lots of people die and bad poo poo happens. The final chapter will be tree-Bran having a dream of the spring that will eventually come after the winter is over and the bad guys are killed and he'll see some of the characters doing there thing while most of them have died or are shown to have died in his dream, but the implication is that things will get so much worse before they get better but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hence the title of the last book.

This reminds me of an 80s teen movie ending where they do a quick summary of what every character ends up doing after the film is over, which in turns reminds me that I had the idea of editing such a video together using footage of characters from the show looking cheeky and text of not-quite spoilers along the lines of the "sitcom episode summaries" that were all over the thread a couple pages ago. "Jaime Lannister lent a hand to a local theatre troupe during their latest production - he turned out to have a golden touch," and whatnot. It made sense in my head okay?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

El Hefe posted:

To me Dany is Azor Ahai, all the signs of the prophecy match her perfectly, she's going to make Lightbringer by killing ~~~~Daario~~~.

The idea of the holy sword having naked ladies on its hilt titillates me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Scuzzywuffit posted:

At least now she won't tear at her stitches.

I guess the actress is trying to look cheeky in all of her scenes or something, but she talks mostly with one side of her mouth and it kind of looks like she's had a stroke or palsy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

What is so bad about this place? The photos on wiki look lovely but harmless enough.

The town is supported entirely by the oil industry, so there are a lot of young working men in town with too much money to spend and not much to spend it on aside from drugs. Also the environment and all that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

I don't know about you, but that scene totally ruined my immersion as well :qq:

They cleared this up in the commentary - Dothraki gold has a lower melting point. :eng101:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gibbone posted:

Also hey holy poo poo they cut the Reeds. How can they even do that? ~My Little Grandfather~ and Meera are really solid characters and if it's just Hodor and Bran heading north then that's going to be a pretty loving lame series of events.

They'll probably show up next season, with Jojen saying he had a dream telling him to go north or something.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Devorum posted:

Haven't seen anyone else reply to this, but I thought it was pretty good and also nice to know one of my favorite bands is, apparently, a fan doing it for HBO money. Either way, I like it.

Between this and the song they did for Portal II, the National are building up some big nerd cred. People complained quite vehemently about their version of Rains in the TV IV thread, but I think it's rather nice. I hope they pick a slightly more upbeat artist for the Bear and the Maiden Fair, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SMP posted:

- I got "spoiled" (twice) on something that never happened in the books. (spoiled incase this is something from future books) Casterly Rock got burned down by Dany and her dragons. Where did this come from?

The imagination of a jerk.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Has anyone considered that Dany might go so far east that she circumnavigates the globe and ends up in Westeros? It might (sort of) justify her continued journeying in the wrong direction.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm looking into travel ideas for this summer and I think I found a great place for a Bad Thread goonmeet.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Ambiguatron posted:

In the next book, Bran achieves greenseer enlightenment and wargs into everyone at once.

...and proceeds to have an orgy which technically also qualifies as masturbation.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

IRQ posted:

I can't be hosed to do a captcha for this thread. I demand instant gratification.

She looks Meera-y to me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Blackfish!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

He confirmed that while he doesn't like it, if you don't see the body chances are they're not dead.

I...don't understand. He's writing this. If he doesn't like it, he can change how it's written.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

She moaned during the kiss, her vagina becoming increasingly moist and caramelized.

I don't even have words to express how much this sentence entertained me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

From the strangest fanart thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

The book ends on Jon and Arya laughing in the ruins of Winterfell as the Others pour through the shattered Wall.

I don't think I've ever seen such an egregious misspelling of "loving."