Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Ginette Reno posted:

I can't say it's the number one dumbest line because bad pussy is a thing but Jaime saying that he didn't care about any of the people in King's Landing was easily the second most idiotic line in the entire show.

I feel like it’s really telling that while the media started really paying attention to the audience backlash against season 8 starting with Danny’s heel turn in episode 5, the real backlash started with episode 4, which is actually a much worse rated episode, and I think most of that can be laid at the feet of Jaime’s reversal. It’s such a complete and total gently caress you to the audience. As a story beat, it’s psychotic.

Yes, people make bad decisions in real life. Yes, self-destructive people usually do fall back into self destructive behavior. You can make all the arguments on paper you want for why Jaime could end up slinking back Cersei. It doesn’t wash, and the reason it doesn’t wash is that we’ve been following this one-handed rear end in a top hat’s journey towards redemption for more than two decades now, and you can’t end a journey like that on a pissant whimper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

5'8" is an average and respectable height, "on the shorter side" starts at 5'7.5" :colbert:

Which is fine, because Kit Harrington's actual real life not-numbers-made-up-by-his-publicist height is about 5'6".

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

It depends on the genre and marketing package to some degree, doesn't it? I don't expect to ever see a trailer like this for a Nolan film, though I also don't expect to see Nolan do a Christmas themed rom-com.
Kind of.

The biggest driver of negative word of mouth for a movie turns out to be audience expectations: audiences are generally much kinder to a bad version of a movie they expected to see than a movie of whatever quality that ends up being a different movie than they were expecting. That's why Hereditary got a D+ Cinemascore, even though the rotten tomatoes score and box office ended up decent: the trailer sold a traditional horror movie, but audiences got... whatever the gently caress Hereditary was. So the biggest goal of a trailer these days isn't to get audiences to want to see a movie, it's to get audiences in tune with the wavelength of the movie, or at least what the advertising executives think the wavelength of the movie is.

So you won't get a movie trailer that gives away everything for a Nolan movie because Nolan's name, visual style, and the puzzle-like elements of his film-making constitute a brand to themselves; as soon as audiences see pieces of them, they're in tune with the Nolan wave-length. He's the most consistent money-making filmmaker in Hollywood, at this point. On the other hand, you have Hobbs and Shaw, which has a trailer that gives away literally every part of the movie, because it has something to prove to the audience: that it is in the same wavelength as the previous Fast and Furious movies.

It's why the Thor Ragnarok trailer gave so much more away than, say, the Infinity War trailer: it had to sell audiences on a new wave-length for the Thor franchise.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

I'm not sure being completed helped The Black Company.

I'm not sure I would even call it completed, since he wrote a sidequel last year that retroactively alters the entire narrative (or maybe not) and he's been threatening to write a concluding volume for the last fifteen years.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

I played a bit of XV for the first time a few weeks ago and it just straight up looked like current day rural America as interpreted by Japanese.
I mean, to be fair that was the best part of the game.

I was generally enjoying things right up until you complete the first real questline and you get a sudden plot bombardment, where they play what amounts to a trailer for the other game that they didn't make because they ran out of money and made this game instead. And then i realized that even at its best FF15 was going to be a profoundly broken experience, and i walked away.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Imagine the ready player one guy thinking that you and he were professional colleagues.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

They’re all the same book. It’s not clear to me how some people actually seemed to like the RPO but not the others.

No, they do get worse. Like, they started at poo poo tier but there is still a measurable decline.

I mean, yes, they're all the same book, but Armada is the dumber, stupider, hornier college freshman's first draft, and RP2 is the bloated, egotistically full of itself, inexplicably touching on trans issues for some reason Director's Cut.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Proust Malone posted:

Sorry to cross the streams here but I’m halfway through the first book and all I’m feeling is that it’s a Tolkien ripoff. Does it get better or should I eject now?

The Tolkein elements drop away really quickly about 3/4ths of the way into the first book, and the series really comes into it's own starting in book 2, Whether you'll like it after that I dunno -- even the best elements of the books end up being stretched loving thin over 14.5 volumes -- but WoT really became its own particular flavor of fantasy that's never successfully been copied, (although a lot of authors dropped giant bricks shaped like books trying).

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 20, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

What did they even have on Jackson for him to come back and do the Hobbit? I never understood that series of events very well, aside from GdT rightfully backing away as fast as he could.

Part of it was apparently him trying to save the livelihood of all the cast and crew that he’d helped GDT assemble, many of whom were old hands from LotR. The original LotR trilogy employed something like 95% of the film production staff of the entire nation of New Zealand at some point. That’s a lot of jobs to leave hanging, or in the hands of studio hacks.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was it the Aztecs or Mayans that never bothered using wheels? Tech develops differently across civilizations, so if a world just never bothered with an industrial revolution then I could see it plugging along at the middle ages for several thousand years.

Both. But it's also sort of a myth: they invented the wheel, they just never bothered using it for carts/chariots/etc, probably because the lack of draft animals for heavy labor made it less appealing.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

No Pants posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of something that stands out as advanced or modern.

Yeah, there's no dishes in any Game of Thrones book I can remember that can top anything in, say, the chapter on feasts from Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror: the Calamitous 14th century". Royalty back then ate like absolute depraved motherfuckers.

"Gilded whole calf stuffed with trout" is one of the ones that always stayed with me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

In Ender's Game the point of the story is, "Sometimes you actually need a Hitler to do the dirty work for you." It's still the only entertaining book in the series because of space soccer.
Ender’s Game is a lot of things, many of them dumb, but it is 100% not this. The whole point of the reveal of the ending is that there was no, and never would be any, Third Formic War: that if humanity had never built any retaliatory fleet or trained up an Ender and just stayed the gently caress home the only result is that billions of dead aliens would be alive and trillions of dollars and man-hours would have been saved and a whole bunch of kids wouldn’t have gotten PTSD.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I guess Robb is like Alexander if Phillip died early but it's still honestly silly and he's younger than Alexander was at Chaeronea (18). Robb's basically still a little kid, Alexander was a young adult.

Edmund the Black Prince of Wales commanded the vanguard at Crecy at age 16, where he repulsed the French advance without reinforcement. 10 years later, at Poitiers, the 26 year old Black Prince would face his French counterpart, the Dauphin, who commanded the vanguard at 18, and in the aftermath of the battle the Dauphin Charles would become the prince regent of France after Edmund took his father prisoner. It was pretty normal, or at least only moderately unusual, for medieval nobles that we would consider teenagers to be given sole command over entire armies and kingdoms.

It wasn’t necessarily a good idea, but it’s something they certainly did do.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 24, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Yes. For all of his flaws, GRRM has strengths as well. Setting story seeds naturally both in the past lore and at the periphery of the POV characters. Creating interesting factions with organic motivations. Managing the multiple characters while moving the narrative (if not necessarily the greater storyline) along.

Yeah, there's a point in Feast of Crows where Cersei convenes the small council and makes a series of terrible political decisions ("Let's defer payments to the Iron Bank; what are they gonna do, sue us?") and by that point the readers know enough about the fake politics of the fake factions of the fantasy world to know and recognize that these are, in fact, terrible political decisions without needing that to be spelled out, which is genuinely no mean feat for an author.

Of course, if the books follow the same path as the show all of that will amount to nothing, but in the moment it was well done.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

JJ. Rian actually wrote and filmed a more definitive death for Phasma in TLJ (and a much better scene over all for her) and then reworked it to be more ambiguous thinking JJ was gonna bring her back for a role in Episode IX only for Abrams to turn around and go "Gwendoline... who?"

The deleted scene in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzeIb-TZo_I

gently caress, that's much better. Really would have shored up Finn's character development as well.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Barnes and Noble.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

Cersei's Continuous Mistake is by far the best part of AFFC and ADWD.

One of the worst sins of the TV show is how all of that basically falls off a cliff in the latter seasons, leaving nothing to Cersei but sitting in a tower drinking wine. It's like without the books to crib from they forgot how consequences work.

Book Ned Stark: "We owe the Iron Bank how much?!"
Book Littlefinger: "The Iron Bank will have its due."
Book Cersei: "Pfft! What are they gonna do, send me an angry letter?"
TV Show: They sent an angry letter.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

The show is good, or at least the first few seasons were when I binged them during a bout of what turned out not to be Covid..

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

It is goddamn insane how prolific Stephen King is. Every time I see it I'm just in awe.
It's probably worse than anyone knows.

There's a bit in Bag of Bones where the protagonist (A novelist, naturally) develops a severe and unbreakable case of writer's block. It persists for years, but nobody but himself realizes this, because he just so happens to have a safety deposit box filled with completed but unpublished manuscripts going back decades; books he finished but decided weren't good enough for publication, and sat on. By turning these over to his publisher he maintains the fiction that he's still a successful writer.

I remember reading that and realizing immediately that this detail is almost certainly autobiographical. When Stephen King dies people are going to take a sledgehammer to his walls and find every empty space in his house filled with unpublished novels, like Prince's secret music vault.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That's because there's no easy port of access into it. There is no Iron Man to ease people into the universe. Trying to explain WILD CARDS to someone is like trying to explain the plot of Homestuck. No rational person would make it past the first minute.

This is true.

I knew a guy who was a big Wild Cards fan, who kept trying to get other people to read Wild Cards and who always wanted to run a Wild Cards campaign of the Official Wild Cards roleplaying game (originally GURPS and then latter Mutants and Masterminds). At the height of the Game Of Thrones fandom he finally convinced some people to sit down and make characters, so we cracked open the Official Wild Cards roleplaying game supplement and instantly bounced off it like a brick wall.

It's not even bad, it's just forty years of the type of convoluted nonsense and in-jokes and huge tonal clashes that you'd get if a dozen friends tried to make all their weird loving RPG characters try to fit in the same universe. Like, one guy is a floating armored Volkswagon Beetle? And another guy is a magical pimp with sex magic powers? And those were apparently two of the most relatable, forward-facing characters the book wanted to feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

His magic comes from the fact that he never ejaculates. All his magic sperm is stored in his forehead

The superpower statblock on that character’s wiki contains the phrase “If he ejaculated into a dead body….” Which is everything you need to know about why Wild Cards never took off as an IP.