Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Lost Boys (1992), which Card describes as his most personal novel, is also a dire dirge of troubling opinions, and looking at his bibliography marks the point where quality of his fiction goes into precipitous decline. It pads out an earlier story with boring expository sequences about Mormon family life, a fuckton of petty score settling against people Card judges to be defective parents and guardians of children, and an incredibly gross subplot where his stand in character decides his red herring pedophile co-worker isn't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I have never seen a convincing argument to the contrary. It's always some variant on "Read the next five books the masturbation themes totally wash out" which is a horseshit argument. If you need hundreds of pages of sequels to make a stand-alone book's themes not poo poo, then the book you're referring to is poo poo.

I'm sorry who is claiming this about the Ender books? Each successive sequel and prequel incrementally loses sight of more and more of the stuff that makes Ender's Game work for the people who like Ender's Game

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Normy posted:

I read and enjoyed the main Ender series years ago. I remember hearing about Card's weird Mormonism and homophobia soon after but didn't notice any of that in the series. Ender pretty much makes up his own religion. Was there hateful homophobic or right wing subtext that went over my head?

If you look at the real world communities and their beliefs that Card draws on for his fake religion, you quickly realize that, oh, these are quite conservative reference points. Most of the Bean prequel novels are didactic knock off Tom Clancy things.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
If his health declines to a potentially terminal state I'm fully expecting GRRM to announce that ASOIAF will be completed posthumously by a roster of regular Wild Cards contributors (with each writers taking on a different viewpoint character)

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Ever since Youtube videos of Stephen King putting down the idea of an outline started going around, I've seen more and more prospective authors bragging about how they don't use outlines or don't have story beats planned for a writing project. In my experience, unless those authors actually know how to finish projects or are devoted crafters of narratives who sit down and write those first hundred pages of their stories at the beginning, their "gardening" usually just results in 400 pages of disconnected dialogue and backstory. "Letting the characters find the story" works for someone like King who writes very focused narratives and probably has a workable narrative in his mind, but he also sticks to story structure in the form of writing conventions that help guide a story forward. "Gardening" doesn't work so well when you just want to sit down and write the cool parts of the story that you daydreamed about at work today, and I say that as a person who wasted ten years of his life making that particular screw-up.

It also works for King because he sits down and puts down a few thousand words every day until he finishes. I remember listening to interview years ago with another author who wings it, and his observation was that if you don't have that kind of momentum of composition, the approach fails

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

kaworu posted:

I feel like in some weird way, authors working on multi-part epics who spend too much time on the internet often end up being too self-conscious about how fans are perceiving their work, and it can lead to that particular quality - that is, work suddenly seeming like fanfic, or oddly disingenuous when compared to earlier entries in a series.

I feel like JK Rowling and the Harry Potter series actually was a victim of something similar, though she handled it somewhat better. Even so, there was a really clear demarcation point between books 4 and 5, which also coincided with a fairly lengthy hiatus during which time Rowling became acquainted with the internet communities and huge fandom that had sprung up around her work. Books 5-7 just felt... different, somehow less genuine and pure, and more like she was consciously trying to emulate herself.

And then there are the scripts she wrote for the play and the Fantastic Beasts movies. The theory tracks.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Nae posted:

Who is going to watch all of these GoT shows after the end of GoT?

I don't know but I bet someone in HBO is selling them on the basis that "look those Disney Star Wars shows are doing well despite the last movie being total poo poo, so..."

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Westworld: The labyrinth thing was part of some long convoluted scheme by Anthony Hopkins to start a robot uprising. Jeffrey Wright’s character was a robot programmed not to know he was a robot. All the parts with the two human guests were actually taking place in the past and the one in the white clothes eventually goes killcrazy and grows up to be Ed Harris in the black duds

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

GRRM holds the distinction of being a sort of ur-modern neckbeard. Dude has letters published during Marvel's top run of the Silver Age. Dude has the first ticket bought for the first NYC comic-con. According to his wiki bio-- which I did shamelessly read out of curiosity for this post-- he was a chess guy and even a Writer-in-Residence at a New England Arts College for a few years. He went to a lot of Science Fiction/Fantasy Conventions too, so it's not like fanfic would have been totally unheard of to him. Those can also be really cutthroat environments and titles to hold, and to have survived as long as he has, there's no way he hasn't had to cut a few to get/retain his social status. I mean it's in all the text he writes.

So while I would never call him a classy guy, it does strike me as an extremely blessed Baby Boomer life/career that lends itself very easy to Classism and with that the fear of something that could conceivably minimize him and all the little bric a brac he's accumulated as an Important Person of Some Esteem. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of his antagonists in ASoIaF boil down to "backstabbing rich person" and "mindless horde who probably do have their own culture and goals and I acknowledge that but I still do not want them anywhere near me please."

Fanfiction writers are part of that horde. They're at once the nourishment that are clearly a kind-of part of the ecosystem, but also the greatest threat to the way of life he has grown immensely accustomed to with fancy titles and codified locations/players, where sure things are socially inflexible but if you play your cards right you might be able to have a decent life... as long as those dirty hordes never manage to get inside.

Idk it tracks in my brain.

This twitter thread making some observations about his Hugo afterparty and how it changed with the fame and cash he recieved from the show is relevant to this: https://twitter.com/fozmeadows/status/1382904636844085248

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I fully expect the next ASOIAF to come out during the next 3 years but likely in the form of the already completed chapters quickly packaged together as The Winds of Winter Part 1 by the publisher to get a sales boost from the new TV shows

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
All we're ever going to see of Wind of Winter is fix up Part 1 to capitalise on the new shows

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

What are the odds that his publisher is just going to take what he's done and put it out there with minimal editing just in time for the next season of the TV show to maximise profits like they did with A Dance with Dragons?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Page 1001 is another "Meanwhile, Back at the Wall" where GRRM is like "Right now, you're saying 'wait, isn't this supposed to be the second to last book? Isn't there only one more after this? How will this all fit?' And you're right! But because of the amount of content we have to get through, each book is being split into four parts! Preorder The Winds of Winter, Part II right now, release date TBD!"

Exactly the situation I was suggesting here:

High Warlord Zog posted:

What are the odds that his publisher is just going to take what he's done and put it out there with minimal editing just in time for the next season of the TV show to maximise profits like they did with A Dance with Dragons?

Someone at his publisher is going to explain to him that he can have another dump truck worth of dollars if he just calls it a day and lets them print whatever he's done so far. George, sir, wouldn't you like an airfield with old timey aircraft to go along with your choo choo train?

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 21, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

He didn't even finish Dance, he's said several times his publisher flat out demanded of him "Give us the manuscript as-is, RIGHT NOW" even though he had like 10 chapters left to write. So they grabbed it and rushed it out the door with minimal editing to try and capitalize on the TV show and that was literally all she wrote, quite literally in GRRM's case.

This is absolutely what is going to happen with the next book if it ever comes out. A new season of HOD will be bearing down and his publisher will ask him how the novel is going. And if he has 275,000+ words done (apx the length of the first book) they'll pressure him to let them publish. Will these words add up to anything cohesive, probably not. Will they bother to thoroughly edit them, gently caress no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

If GURM had done NaNoWriMo every year since Dance was published he'd have 600,000 words written.

We know for sure there's 40-50,000 words out there as sample chapters he's released or read at cons