Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Well you could get a program that maps Wiimote inputs to keypresses or something, though it would require messing about. Have you got any other controllers? PS3, 360, Generic USB etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wonder if it would be possible to rip the assets from the HD version and use them with Dolphin using the texture replacer option in the GPU plugin.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

gently caress Project64. Forced "donations" for emulators or any payment for that matter is a dick thing to do, particularly when the sole purpose of the thing you're creating is copyright infringement (playing ROMs).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

strategery posted:

Love this game. Would be worth buying the PC version for 20 bucks when its out soon.
Interesting. I wasn't expecting a PC release. Think Dolphin may have forced their hand?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's still a way of playing the game on the PC though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's in a pre-packaged form on torrent websites (TPB for one) so there's that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I finally upgraded my CPU to a i5-4670K after running an old Phenom II X4 for ages. I overclocked it to 4Ghz no problem with the stock cooler.

I anticipated I'd be able to run a few games full speed but not everything. This is fantastic! Super Mario Galaxy looks so good.

I am getting a crash during one of the intro FMVs, I assume this is probably from running the latest SVN so I'll check out another version to see if it works there. Still, up until that point everything was running perfectly. Even have my Wiimote hooked up.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Someone really needs to hack NSMBW to allow the use of EFB to texture instead of RAM. You can use EFB to texture but it takes away a lot of animation and adds a few bugs like invisible coins.

Surely there's a way to hack the game to make it so it always uses the 3D rendered coins or something?

EDIT: I can actually run it at full speed on EFB to RAM most of the time, but certain levels are a bit too much for it and runs at about 90-95% speed. This is with the latest overclocked (4ghz) i5 CPU too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They seem to understand that trading speed for accuracy every time (like, say, MAME) isn't a particularly good idea. Often, many of the speed optimizations they do seem to cause them to find little bugs and inaccuracies that pop up in the code too, which is an extra bonus.

The MAME devs bug me. It's like archiving books in a incomprehensible language, there's no point in preserving games if they can't be played.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 1, 2014

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Superschaf posted:

Yes there is. Either they will be playable at some point or MAME can be used as documentation to write an emulator that is meant to be playable.

If they want other people to do the work then they should only be producing technical documentation, not code. They don't need to produce and publish a fully functional emulator in order to "prove" something can work. It certainly doesn't have to come in the form of a binary that can run a bunch of other games too.

quote:

Playing the games is only a secondary objective to MAME, the primary goal is documentation.
Playing the games is actually considered "A nice side effect", it isn't an objective at all. But of course that is disingenuous and bullshit because they provide binaries for the layperson to download on their website.

Games are meant to be played. Most MAME devs are hostile to this idea, clinging to the faux-righteousness from being historians and using the claim that they are preserving history as a cover for their creation of a tool that enables mass copyright infringement in order to keep lawyers off their tail. The irony is that they actually created a tool that allows the rights-holders of the games that they're trying to preserve give the games a new lease of life on new systems and form factors, but deny them full usage of it due to the non-profit license terms. Instead, the only people profiting from MAME are already committing copyright infringement by distributing ROMs illegally. Hell, there's a for-profit arcade machine at my local fish and chip shop that runs MAME. They're mass produced in China now.

EDIT: As a good example of why I like the Dolphin developer's attitudes better, here is quote from their status update regarding a fix for some inaccuracies in their CPU emulation:

quote:

There is still a small performance hit however, and since very few games care about this, for now FPRF is not going to be enabled by default. However, if you encounter a game with some odd problems that don't occur in interpreter, try adding "EnableFPRF=true" to the game's INI and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks to this change, you can easily try it for extended periods of time without impacting that game's playability.
They realize that while it's important to get their emulator running as accurately as possible, it may affect some peoples ability to play games now, today, if they didn't keep the old behavior that worked mostly fine in. Doing this allows people to play games accurately enough, while still documenting correct procedures and allowing for greater emulation accuracy if a person can afford it.

MAME developers will have none of that and will nix better performing but less accurate code for more accurate but far less optimized code. I remember when the Midway driver got new sound code many years ago and it took years before PCs could run the games at a decent speed again. They could have had the best of both worlds, but instead they chose to make the game unplayable for basically everyone for a few years.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 1, 2014

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Superschaf posted:

If you think that writing technical documentation for a system is enough to preserve it or allow someone to play the games somewhere down the line when the actual systems have long died, you are hilariously out of touch with the reality of emulators.

I don't know how you get the idea that you would get anywhere without testing your findings on actual games.

Technically you don't even need documentation of the hardware to emulate it. The SVP chip in the Virtua Racing cart was reverse engineered by study of the game ROM.

And sure, developers can test their work internally on an emulator they created themselves, but why distribute it? Why in a compiled binary form?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Demand? It's odd that they'd do it out of demand of all things. MAME has never had much of a populist slant.

Convenience? From what I've read in MAME dev logs, the monolithic MAME architecture has ended up creating quite a few problems. It's more convenient for distribution, not so much for testing or development.

I'm honestly not sure why they operate like they do. Their ideology is awfully inconsistent.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hace posted:

Yeah it seems like overclocking doesn't really benefit most games, nearly every title that runs at 30FPS is locked there. Underclocking seems cool for lower spec systems though.

Memory hacks can be done to overcome this, though. Difficulty depends on how the game is designed, however.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

flatluigi posted:

Speaking of hacks, is there any way to disable the culling of "offscreen" objects that happens in a bunch of games with the widescreen hack on? I really like being able to play games in widescreen but the culling is just obnoxious. I know it's an out there question but I swear I've heard of someone doing it in at least one game so it can't hurt to ask.

This is actually one of the things that overclocking could help. If you widen the projection matrix, you have to render more than usual. It's culling those polys for good reason.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's actually a hell of a lot of original XBOX games that were exclusives to the platform (not even getting PC releases) or were the best versions out of all 3 consoles. It really deserves to be emulated at some point.

Metal Wolf Chaos is a Japanese exclusive XBOX game that basically noone can play because of its obscurity and the game is incredible. You're the american president who pilots a mech and takes down terrorists, gently caress yeah.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mill Village posted:

The developers do not recommend using AMD Processors with Dolphin.

It should still work. Optimization has gotten good enough that even some of the faster AMD processors should be able to run a good amount of games at full speed.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

ANyone know if the Zelda Collectors Edition runs ok in this? Specifically OoT and Majoras Mask? Dolphin wiki says it works great but I just find it hard to believe.

Dolphin does a pretty good job emulating the official N64 emulators.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Really impressed with Dolphin lately. I got a projector in my new home theatre installed and bought a pretty beefy HTPC for emulation and VR stuff. I also bought a Dolphin Bar specifically so I could have effortless Wiimote support.

Games work great. It's awesome being able to play even Mario Galaxy and even Wii Sports Resort in 1080p on a big 120" screen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Probably not, it seems like you're running into GPU bottlenecks. Mario Kart Wii is pretty shader heavy I think.

You might have better luck with Gamecube games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

On the newer builds of Dolphin I struggle to find games that don't work well. Games marked as incompatible in the wiki are often outdated and work fine and performance is pretty much perfect on my i7 6700k @ 4.3.

I usually leave the emulated CPU overclocked to 150% too.

• Locked thread