Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sorry about this being off-topic, but there's no more general emulation thread so this is the closest match. What's the best N64 emulator nowadays? I know that Project 64 used to be king in the early 2000s but that's a long-rear end time ago and it hasn't been updated in years. Is there a more recent, better emulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EvilMuppet posted:

First time I've used Dolphin, seem to have everything set up and working with Rayman: Origins. Game loads and looks fine but I can't get my 360 controller working properly, buttons work but I can't get Rayman to move around. Any ideas?

If you're using Classic Controller controls, make sure that you're mapping the dpad to the classic controller and not the wii remote? Dunno, that's the only thing I can think of.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EvilMuppet posted:

E: VVVV Do you mean under the emulate dropdown? I couldn't see classic controller listed there.

Well, if you have the wii remote dpad bound to your controller dpad and don't have classic controller enabled, then it shouldn't be a problem anyways. Or maybe the game is recognizing an input device that you don't have anything mapped to? Dunno.

To enable classic controller support, go to the "extension" section of the button mapping screen and select Classic Controller. It's in a drop down menu. From there, click configure and configure the buttons as appropriate, it's easy to map it 1:1 with the 360 controller. Make sure to wipe your normal wii remote bindings after this.

Another possible cause, make sure you have the "sideways wiimote" box checked for Rayman. Otherwise the dpad mappings will be rotated around. Left will be down, down will be right, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really doubt it forced their hand for anything. I kinda doubt more than a few thousand people even tried playing Rayman on Dolphin. And that might be pushing it. Barely anyone knows this is possible, it's not a thing they had to worry about.

There was a PC port planned originally. Then they omitted it from the november launch mysteriously. Most likely they were always going to release a PC port and it was delayed like most of their ports are.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I find if you go to the controller settings, change it to no controller for port 1, save the settings, then switch back to whatever controller you were using, the game will recognize it again and you don't have to restart the emulator.

I don't know an easier way, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Does anyone have any tricks to deal with the occasional scratchy/wonky audio in Xenoblade? It gets scratchy at about a minute into the intro video, and stays scratchy through all of it, with the exception of the part you control. Once I get control of Shulk and Reyn the audio fixes itself for the most part... the dragonflies in the area sound like 8-bit computer beep-boop sound effects.

What version of the emulator are you using? This was a problem a while ago when Xenoblade came out but I was under the impression that it's been fixed, since. There's definitely custom code patches and user made builds that resolve the issue. I haven't played the game in forever so I honestly don't know what the best build is, anymore. You can try the latest revision for a start: http://dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

In other Dolphin news, I'm pretty excited for the FifoBusy branch currently in active development. It fixes a lot of Fifo related crashes and bugs, including audio desync issues. Games like Baiten Kaitos, No More Heroes 1 and 2, The Last Story, and Metroid Prime 2 and 3 all have fixes. TLS isn't fully fixed yet, though, there's still some reported crashing with the latest commit. Anyone who wants to try it out, the authors usually post a x64 build with most revisions in the comments.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm using the latest build on Dolphin's website. :(

Well, I wish I still knew the best build for Xenoblade, then. I had a good one but updated it since. Hopefully someone here can share a good, recent build.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Switched.on posted:

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356
This is the build I've been using, specifically for Xenoblade. It works perfectly.

Funnily enough, I got my wii back from my parents after a couple years last week. I still prefer Xenoblade on my PC, because it looks so much better.

Also, there's a patch that makes xenoblade run at 30fps instead of 24. I love it.

edit: I'm specifically running 3.00-72 from somewhere in that thread. Some people say they have better stability with 3.0-70 or -71 in that thread. I think the DL for that version is around page 9. People have posted their working configs in there, which is where I started out for tweaking my own. Good luck, the game is totally worth it to play at 3x Native. If you need a copy of my version of dolphin, just PM me or leave me a message here and I can toss it up on dropbox or something.

Could you post your build, please? The only one in the 70's I could find there is a 71 that crashes every time I try to launch anything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Switched.on posted:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8271970/x64.zip
There you go. As the file name suggests, it's a x64 build. Good luck! (I just zipped up my folder, so my preferences are probably saved in there...)

Thanks, this one works. I would recommend to anyone who downloads this and is thinking of just overwriting their old folder, to only copy over the exe. Copying over the user folder will not only overwrite settings, but also overwrite all of your save files. Obviously, this is a bad thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Last Story is rated 3 starts in the compatibility list. I don't suppose that has changed recently? I really want to play this, but the slowdown in the real Wii is not making it a good prospective, and I was hoping Dolphin would fare better.

Any slowdown present on the real wii will pretty much almost always be there on Dolphin as well. Dolphin aims to emulate Wii architecture exactly as it is, clock speeds and all.

But to answer your question, yes, it has improved a bit. Today, actually. They just merged the FifoBusy code branch into master and what this basically means for TLS is that desyncs and crashes were fixed. I think it runs fine, now, but I haven't tried it myself.

Their automated build bot is behind, but you can get the latest revision from here: http://www.emucr.com/2012/03/dolphin-git-30-484.html

That commit fixed quite a few things besides TLS, though, read about it here: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=a60a0825a334e898832337ad4a66266a645241e9

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 20, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You absolutely do not need a wiimote.

Even games that do need one, you can emulate them with your mouse.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Artix74 posted:

Hey, so it may not be the best idea to post a 2560x1440 untagged image of Skyward Sword's final boss. Just a hunch.

It's in timg tags, what's the problem? :confused:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mill Village posted:

I didn't know that was the final boss until somebody said it was. :(

Yeah, this was one of those things that wasn't an actual spoiler to people until people pointed out specifically what it was a spoiler for. So congrats everyone but Revol for actually spoiling it!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm trying to run Xenoblade on this thing, since I don't have access to a TV. I use the monitor's HDMI port for PS3 games, but I don't have as much luck with the Wii.

Problem is, I get ridiculous lag, and I figured my system would be fine for it.

AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz six-core processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 graphics card
8GB RAM

I have dual core and idle skipping enabled, framelimit on audio (but I've tried it with auto as well), and I've tried HLE and LLE audio. Using Direct3D9 for a backend, 800x600 fullscreen resolution, auto aspect ratio, and 1x native resolution with no anti-aliasing.

It runs perfectly at the title screen and the opening cutscenes have little to no slowdown, but at the first sign of gameplay with Dunban in the prologue, it just slows to maybe 20 FPS and the audio starts skipping and clicking all over the place.

I figured my PC was good enough to run this sort of thing, but I guess not? :( Hopefully it's just a setting I haven't checked or something.

In all honestly, 2.7GHz per core doesn't really cut it. Clock speed is extremely important in emulation. You can try overclocking to 3GHz or more and see if that helps out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jakuvious posted:

So, when I try to download Dolphin, it downloads as a notepad file. Am I just stupid, or is my computer missing something basic I need for this?

Are you downloading the right file? What's the full file name of the thing you're downloading? Make sure you're downloading the latest build from here: http://dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

The file extension should be .7z which is an archive that is openable in WinRAR or 7zip, so make sure you have one of those installed. Then you just extract it to a folder of your choice and run Dolphin.exe.

edit: If it's still opening as a notepad file, right click on it and select "open with", you should see winrar or 7zip there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Dolphin's probably just not optimized for The Last Story yet. There was a time when Xenoblade couldn't be emulated at full speed and reliably for love or money and look how that turned out.

... actually maybe not the best example, if you have to go to file dumps to get one of the two versions that work, but the point's been made.

They don't optimize on a per game basis, and I don't think there have been any Xenoblade specific speed enhancements. The only difference in the Xenoblade-specific builds is that they use code hack that fixes HLE emulation to get rid of sound glitches. The game also ran full speed for me from the start. Any overall improvements have been really minor.

There may be general speed optimizations in the future that help Last Story out a little but don't expect some miracle build to come out that suddenly gives massive speed boosts.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 4, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting Skies of Arcadia: Legends to work without the music stuttering? I've tried a number of settings and revisions but I can't find a way to make it work properly.

SoA is just a very poorly emulated game in general. It has lots of graphical glitches and other issues. I think to fix the audio, you need to play it with HLE, but the game runs particularly slow for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A pretty huge commit dropped yesterday that gave a really nice speedup, 10+ FPS in some games. http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=5230146c7341eec2e541405043a2aa385d206a12

Some people are reporting a 20-25% speedup in Xenoblade, and big speedups in SMG and some other games. Speeeeed! :rice:

I'm gonna try this out ASAP.

edit: This only really applies for DX9 mode, keep that in mind. Any revision later than 784 should have the speedup: http://dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

After some testing, I still feel like the emulator is a little slower than it was maybe a year or so ago. But we're getting there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wendell posted:

How do I put it in DX9 mode, or tell if it already is?

It's the backend option in the first tab of the graphics options. On the very top.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Doesn't stutter for me with LLE audio. And yes I believe the performance has increased in general(NTSC version).

Audio always stutters in every game with LLE when it isn't running 100%, that's probably what he's referencing. Maybe see if the fix for HLE was made for the latest version?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No idea, sorry. Try using the latest snapshot: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Also, in snapshot news, apparently they fixed the HLE audio in Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia. So if anyone was wanting to play those games but LLE was too slow, now's your chance!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For Twilight Princess, I would just try playing the Gamecube version. The Wii version doesn't really offer anything over the GC one other than motion controls. And if you're using a controller anyways, there goes that. For Skyward Sword, I've actually been interested in this myself. I may just end up eventually buying a motion plus and a usb sensor bar, but I'd like to avoid doing so if possible. I've heard there are some methods people use to map SS onto a gamepad, I don't really know what those are, or if they map well enough to keep the game fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blast of Confetti posted:

Is there a way to make games look better besides changing the resolution? Xenoblade still looks like an early PS2 game.

That's a pretty massive stretch. I have a feeling you forgot what early PS2 games actually looked like.

Anyways, it's an emulator, there's only so much you can do. Per Pixel Lighting can make some games look better, but it can bit hit-or-miss in my opinion. There are people who make high resolution texture replacement packs for some games, but I'm unsure if there's one for Xenoblade, or if it's any good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

F. Lobot posted:

I like the game, but certainly not for its graphical prowess. Keep in mind that this was a launch window game in Japan, so developers weren't familiar with what boundaries could and couldn't be pushed.

I guess I just don't understand the complaints. It's probably the best looking non-cartoony Wii game out there. I know that's not saying a lot, since the Wii has weak hardware, but still. I don't really know what people are trying to compare it against.

Also it's not even close to a launch window game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I've looked at that already, but is there one that treats the shoulder button as analog?

edit: Apparently the Mayflash controller has an analog mode, I'll try it and see if it works.

The analog toggle is for the joystick, not the shoulder buttons.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The weird thing is, that version of Ocarina of Time is literally just an N64 ROM being emulated on Gamecube hardware. So you're emulating an emulator.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And many games that use motion controls only sparingly will work fine, like Little King's Story, NSMB, and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seriously, this:

Ohtsam posted:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-patch-xenoblade-hle-audio-hack-fix?page=35

Here's the thread for the hack on the dolphin forums. Newest build is on that page.
works just fine. Not much loving around required. Just run it in a different folder, just like any other version of Dolphin.

The crashing and framerate are completely independent of what that build does. All of the Xenoblade-specific builds only apply the hack to fix audio and nothing else. It may be a recent revision is causing instability or slowdowns, though, so I'd still try it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 10, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's also entirely possible that Sony will do something real crazy with their back catalog and Gaikai in the near future. There's the rumor that there will be streaming for PS3 games to the PS4, in lieu of proper BC support, but what if they did it to PC as well? (This is never going to happen, but a man can dream)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There seems to be several pretty active PSP emulators. JPCSP is another emulator that's in very active development, and I heard PCSP was showing good signs as well. I could be wrong, I think JPCSP is the most advanced one, and has seen some decent speedups and compatibility improvements as of late. I give it no more than a year before you're able to play the majority of games without issue on it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Does that actually affect Xenoblade? I don't think it uses the AX Ucode.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Huh, I just looked back at some screenshots I took of it over a year ago and there are no shadows. I somehow never even noticed. I guess I just didn't expect them to be there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can fix the audio by playing in LLE, but it's really demanding and I don't think runs at full speed for anyone but people with really high end CPUs. Outside of that, the only other solution is to use one of the patched builds. They aren't really any more crash prone than regular Dolphin.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I just posted in the Xenoblade thread that, seemingly, the latest development build, using XAudio 2 under the HLE DSP, works fine. You also have to go to the game properties in the Dolphin main menu, uncheck Idle Skipping, and check VBeam Speed Hack. So far so good for me since I tried that.

Not saying you're wrong, but due to the nature of the audio problem, you can go an hour or more before it crops up, so are you sure it's fixed doing this? How much of an impact does turning Idle Skipping have on game performance? I always thought Idle Skipping was a really significant speed boost and turning it off causes performance to go to poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's very much incomplete and hasn't been updated in months.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So they access official Nintendo servers and can play with actual Wii hardware? I'm not sure how it works, but I do wonder how much longer Nintnedo will even keep the Wii's online network up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, SMG for example runs slower than ever for me and it is no longer playable for me even in HLE mode, which it very much used to be. I hope they're able to eke out a lot more performance in the future.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fonzarelli posted:

Does Super Mario Galaxy require a wiimote? Like, I know there's the pointer for the second player, but you don't need it if you just wanna play through it right? I don't want to bother hooking up my sensor and stuff.

I never bothered to get very far because of the (still present) HLE music bug and LLE is too slow for me even on the better performing builds. But from what I have played, it should be perfectly playable if you set things up correctly. Configure the Wiimote's IR to use your mouse cursor in the setup menu (in the wiimote control config screen, right click the buttons for the IR, make sure you have keyboard/mouse selected in the menu, and scroll down to find the cursor options, assign them accordingly), and then I map A, B, and shake to left mouse, right mouse, and middle mouse respectively. I then use the left half of my 360 pad to represent the nunchuck, and the right joystick to represent wiimote tilt controls. This also allowed me to play the ball levels without issue. I never got to the first surfing stage so I can't tell you how well that works. It's a bit weird at first using my 360 controller and mouse at the same time but I got used to it. I use this for other games that require IR input. The mouse control basically controls the IR cursor like a regular mouse cursor.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I never had any issues with any games using the mouse to emulate IR. Just make sure it's set to use the cursor and not axis and it should be good. Not sure what could make it go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been able to do it on older versions but Xenoblade is one of those games where performance has gotten a bit worse over time.

One thing to keep in mind with emulation is that there's a difference between the actual game framerate and the emulator framerate. A better representation of emulator speed is "VPS" (not sure what that stands for) that basically measures how efficiently you're emulating the game. The emulator will list a percentage next to that, and if that's at 100% you're basically running the emulator at full speed. If there is still slowdown when at 100% then it's probably the same way on actual hardware. If you're below 100%, then that's emulator slowdown and not normal game slowdown (the game would likely run better on actual hardware).

I personally can't stand playing any game at anything less than 95% or so. It slows down everything, including music and sound effects. I consider anything less than that completely unplayable.

• Locked thread