Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Oops. I forgot about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Thanks to making every bad decision possible I am so majorly stuck at this boss man.

I should add the turret thing doesn't work very well either since with my lack of superpowers, the turret becomes impossible to position correctly. You can throw the turret into the level but that evil invisible bastard moves quick and rarely moves in front of my thrown turret.

The only way I've managed to stay alive at all is by running around in circles but that accomplishes nothing as he then takes zero damage. I have only two grenades because I have been accidentally throwing them thinking RB (on XBOX) is the run button. On a side note, is anyone else (playing on XBOX) totally disgruntled with the non changeable button decisions they made? X for select, really??
I am beyond help I think.

Where exactly did I make that blasted extra praxis/mod decision? Is it different for everyone?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Thanks to making every bad decision possible I am so majorly stuck at this boss man.

I should add the turret thing doesn't work very well either since with my lack of superpowers, the turret becomes impossible to position correctly. You can throw the turret into the level but that evil invisible bastard moves quick and rarely moves in front of my thrown turret.

The only way I've managed to stay alive at all is by running around in circles but that accomplishes nothing as he then takes zero damage. I have only two grenades because I have been accidentally throwing them thinking RB (on XBOX) is the run button. On a side note, is anyone else (playing on XBOX) totally disgruntled with the non changeable button decisions they made? X for select, really??
I am beyond help I think.

Where exactly did I make that blasted extra praxis/mod decision? Is it different for everyone?
He can be beaten without augs or coming in with any items, it just sucks. There's a combat rifle against one of the center walls, and a heavy rifle by a corner statue. At first it'll look like that's all there is, but some of the walls beneath the statues are weapons cabinets. If you don't have enough ammo just grab some more from here. There's enough in the room to kill him.

You actually have a lot more breathing room this fight than the first or second fights. Unlike the first one you can get away from him, and unlike the second you don't have to worry about him constantly charging you in an open space or getting shocked.

I bought the chip for my first normal playthrough, and it's definitely doable. Your big advantage in this fight is time and breathing space, as mentioned. Keep moving and don't let him surprise you. He'll often stay away if you just keep moving around, since his pattern is pretty fixed. Hit and run, let your health regenerate, keep moving, and just get a little lucky with his grenades and plasma rifle. This fight's the most time-consuming, but it can also be the easiest of the three since you have the most space to move and think, rather than just dying every five seconds.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Place the turret facing into the door that opens into his area and bait him across the doorway.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Efexeye posted:

Place the turret facing into the door that opens into his area and bait him across the doorway.

I can place it without crossing the elevator transom that triggers the cutscene?? I attempted just walking it into the room, but it was futile as the turret would then vanish.

FactsAreUseless posted:

it's definitely doable.

Thanks for the motivation. I will keep trying.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Not sure man, but that's how I did it after grinding my balls against that boss for 2 days. PC version, maybe, so your mileage may vary?

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Save scum every single shot you land on him.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Lt. Tanaka posted:

I can place it without crossing the elevator transom that triggers the cutscene?? I attempted just walking it into the room, but it was futile as the turret would then vanish.

Thats what happened to me. First time I played I was carrying a turret through that whole area, then when I entered that room the cutscene started and my turret disappeared. :mad:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Thanks for the motivation. I will keep trying.
If you're really stuck, stand near a wall until he jumps over it, then takedown him as he lands

Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

Totally the opposite of SuperSpecialAwesome
Also, if you're not on already on the easiest setting, you can lower the difficulty setting during the fight and put it back up afterwards.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Joining in on boss advice chat: If you're good at timing the weapon switch dance and have enough stun gun ammo, you can keep him stunlocked pretty reliably.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Xander77 posted:

If you're really stuck, stand near a wall until he jumps over it, then takedown him as he lands

He already pointed out that he can't use those.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Brainamp posted:

I know, I just never fell for it because cmon. You would have had to wait for days in those lines. :v:
It's not that it didn't seem like a trap, it's that the game lists it under optional objectives and you always just assume doing extra things means extra rewards (especially with it being called an objective by the game). The chip is pretty much the only exception to that.
That's why I did it even though I did it exactly after listening to 2 guys in a tunnel discussing how the upgrade seemed suspicious.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 24, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hogburto posted:

It's not that it didn't seem like a trap, it's that the game lists it under optional objectives and you always just assume doing extra things means extra rewards (especially with it being called an objective by the game). The chip is pretty much the only exception to that.
That's why I did it even though I did it exactly after listening to 2 guys in a tunnel discussing how the upgrade seemed suspicious.

:confused: I'm sorry but if it seems like a trap then it is probably a trap. My first time through I didn't know what it would do, but I figured that something being put into the heads of everybody possible probably wasn't a good thing.

If Bioshock has taught me anything, it's that even if it's an objective, don't trust it.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 24, 2012

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you fell for it, it's your own drat fault. It's pretty obvious when you're in Tai Young, and eveyone is freaking out because they have to get a huge shipment of chips to LIMB tonight, but nobody is allowed to study the chip, so nobody knows what it does.

I much prefer the more subtle one where the woman with the social implant uses it against you. When you go back to see her, she's gone and you're out 2 grand. :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

KillHour posted:

If you fell for it, it's your own drat fault. It's pretty obvious when you're in Tai Young, and eveyone is freaking out because they have to get a huge shipment of chips to LIMB tonight, but nobody is allowed to study the chip, so nobody knows what it does.

I much prefer the more subtle one where the woman with the social implant uses it against you. When you go back to see her, she's gone and you're out 2 grand. :v:

Was there an objective for that? I don't remember going back to see her.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Xander77 posted:

That is still one of the best bugs in gaming history. After the progression with the other tyrants it feels like you have mastered your augmentations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

KillHour posted:

If you fell for it, it's your own drat fault. It's pretty obvious
Of course it was obvious. That was my point -that people would try it out anyway, not because of some inability to see the plot right in front of you but because of how the game's risk/reward system seemed to be panning out. That being: "do optional objective whether or not it seems like something that would benefit you, receive reward."
You don't know how you'll get rewarded, but much like there being some special room full of goodies being at the end of a quest (often for virtually no reason) you expect the game to give you a reward for your effort. Not all games, but this game seemed that way. How? I don't know. The surprise bonus room method or maybe you wind up doing something like going into the clinic and exposing their schemes after talking to people (we didn't know it would be an immediate cut-scene). Or later in the game someone who has been long-since irrelevant to the plot calling you up and giving you money... think about how unnecessary that was to script in, but :questrewards:

KillHour posted:

Say whaaaaat?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hogburto posted:

Or later in the game someone who has been long-since irrelevant to the plot calling you up and giving you money... think about how unnecessary that was to script in, but :questrewards:

I still don't get this part, are we supposed to believe he fought off all the guards with whatever you gave him? Adam can barely do it.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I picked up a revolver from an enemy, but hadn't found any more ammo. So I literally gave him a revolver with a single bullet. Felt kind of bad but I guess it worked out in the end!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
It would have been all sorts of homage to the original if that character had dialogue for if you had dropped all your modded weapons before talking to him.

Take my knife. :)
That will be adequate. :(

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hogburto posted:

Of course it was obvious. That was my point -that people would try it out anyway, not because of some inability to see the plot right in front of you but because of how the game's risk/reward system seemed to be panning out. That being: "do optional objective whether or not it seems like something that would benefit you, receive reward."

Except if you follow that line of thinking, then you'll easily be duped and led around by the nose. Take letting the terrorist guy go versus not. From both a story and game perspective, there is a benefit to letting him go, but if you do then he eventually ambushes you and tried to kill you. This alone should have taught you to be on your guard. When you get to that pat of the game where everything starts loving up around you, yes it seems beneficial to run in and get an upgrade, like every other person in the world. However, if you take even two seconds to look at this from a story perspective, it would make sense that it's a trap and that there would be absolutely no benefit. In simpler terms it would be like walking into a corridor filled with signs that say "Go Back" and "Certain Death This Way" and "Seriously, This Next Room Will gently caress You Up". If you think about it, maybe all these signs might have a hint of truth to them. Following your mentality, you would happily skip along into the next room, thus getting eaten by the dragon there-within.

Hogburto posted:

Say whaaaaat?

Oh yeah, that can happen.

Sorry if I come off as spergy about this, it just kills me when people don't think things through.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 24, 2012

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And now I'm remembering that awesome bit in Uninvited where you can jump into a hole, but the game will keep stopping you with stuff like "You don't want to do that, there's a giant spider down there." "Really, that spider is bad news." "Come on man, don't do this." And then clicking again gets you eaten by the spider. "Well, what do you know? A giant spider."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Brainamp posted:

In simpler terms it would be like walking into a corridor filled with signs that say "Go Back" and "Certain Death This Way" and "Seriously, This Next Room Will gently caress You Up". If you think about it, maybe all these signs might have a hint of truth to them. Following your mentality, you would happily skip along into the next room, thus getting eaten by the dragon there-within.

If this happened in a game, I would definitely take that path since dying has no long term drawbacks. Taking the chip however doesn't immediately show you how it affects the game, so you can't just see what happens out of curiosity.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Brainamp posted:

Except if you follow that line of thinking, then you'll easily be duped and led around by the nose. Take letting the terrorist guy go versus not.
That's a pros/cons decision for a conversation you're already in. There's no "optional" about it. You're going to have to pick an option with him. The game does not continue without you meeting him.

Brainamp posted:

Oh yeah, that can happen.
I might not remember this because if there was an immediate needless consequence I probably just undid it like a save-scum-bag and moved on.

Brainamp posted:

Sorry if I come off as spergy about this, it just kills me when people don't think things through.
I over-thought it by 1 step. But based on most of the rest of the game, it could've easily have turned out to be you missing out on a cool area by skipping it.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 24, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Did we ever get any news about more DLC coming up or anything? I can't quite fathom why a game as popular as DX:HR barely got DLC.

It DID sell well, right? It seemed quite popular and after seeing games getting a bunch of DLC like Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, and most likely Skyrim, I find it weird SquareEnix wouldn't try to milk DX:HR a bit.

After the missing link I'd buy it that's for sure.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Did we ever get any news about more DLC coming up or anything? I can't quite fathom why a game as popular as DX:HR barely got DLC.

It DID sell well, right? It seemed quite popular and after seeing games getting a bunch of DLC like Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, and most likely Skyrim, I find it weird SquareEnix wouldn't try to milk DX:HR a bit.

After the missing link I'd buy it that's for sure.

I assume Deus Ex 4 has something to do with it.

edit: Before you ask, we know nothing other then Deus Ex 4 is/was being hired for.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I took the biochip just because I wanted to see what would happen. I knew I would get screwed, but I was just curious.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Aglet56 posted:

I took the biochip just because I wanted to see what would happen. I knew I would get screwed, but I was just curious.

Basically this. I pretty much figured it was more than likely a bad thing, but I thought it would alter the game in a way that would be interesting with maybe a bit more challenging than normal. Not, 'fight this boss with none of the cool toys you have.'

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I refused to do it because Pritchard said it would probably be a good idea to get the upgrade :colbert:

Also, is anyone else curious as to what Sarif is referring to during the intro sequence when he says "he doesn't need that?" Were they trying to install a toaster oven, a Deion Sanders Hotdog Express, an automatic cat food dispenser, or something?

"He doesn't need that."

"But sir, just look at the poor guy. His body's been pulverized. He'll have to undergo months upon months of physical therapy to recover, and it'll hurt like hell. And now you're telling me not to fix his tiny wiener? You're a monster!"

"He never asked for this."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I laughed.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I refused to do it because Pritchard said it would probably be a good idea to get the upgrade :colbert:

I remembered the teaser trailer and pretty much guessed what would happen if I went for that "upgrade". To be honest I went through the whole game from start to finish expecting to face a situation where someone would turn off my augments, so it was a bit of a relief to have a bit where the game went "Go to the limb clinic to get some SecuBRAIN installed" since it indicated to me that what I was worried about probably wouldn't happen if I didn't get the upgrade.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, is anyone else curious as to what Sarif is referring to during the intro sequence when he says "he doesn't need that?" Were they trying to install a toaster oven, a Deion Sanders Hotdog Express, an automatic cat food dispenser, or something?
It was probably him being too cheap to fork out for an anti-CASIE aug.

Thanks to Zhao, that wasn't the best decision ol' David has done.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

YF19pilot posted:

Basically this. I pretty much figured it was more than likely a bad thing, but I thought it would alter the game in a way that would be interesting with maybe a bit more challenging than normal. Not, 'fight this boss with none of the cool toys you have.'
I dunno, I thought it was legitimately a pretty cool thing. Then again, I was carrying a metric shitton of mines and only had to retry the fight once or twice.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I actually thought he was referring to a remaining organic part.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Szmitten posted:

I actually thought he was referring to a remaining organic part.

Yeah, I think the detective you track down about your childhood tells you that they "butchered" you, and gave you unnecessary replacements/augments.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Not like that wasn't obvious from the get go; what kind of chief security officer needs arm knives and area of effect explosives that shoot out of his back?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Not like that wasn't obvious from the get go; what kind of chief security officer needs arm knives and area of effect explosives that shoot out of his back?
Well, it's important that you enjoy your job.

Momomo posted:

I still don't get this part, are we supposed to believe he fought off all the guards with whatever you gave him? Adam can barely do it.

It was probably just enough of an edge that he could escape in the confusion. I'm assuming the majority of runs involved Adam knocking out and/or killing most of the attacking soldiers

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 24, 2012

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

KillHour posted:

If you fell for it, it's your own drat fault.
I agree I was dense, but it is sad that a game can be set to "narrative", yet still have an impossible to pass part. Deus Ex still happens to be one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm going to try a few more times before I give up and retreat to an earlier save point.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I trusted him, and see where it got me? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The room's set out so you can run around the perimeter, isn't it? I killed him without augs by running around the outside away from him, taking cover, taking a few shots and running away to the next corner as soon as he started grenading me, he didn't do anything other than just follow me like an idiot.

• Locked thread