Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

lol internet. posted:

Is there anyway to force itunes to scan the files in my library to see if they actually exist in the directory? Right now it seems, it only checks when you goto play the files. I think I have some missing files I would like to get reconciled.

You can get a script to do it: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=listmias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

IUG posted:

So my NetNewsWire demo apparently lapsed, it seems months after I installed it. I was looking at it's website, and it's only $10, but hasn't had an update since March, and it's still a "pre-purchase".

I have some AppStore credit, so I was wondering what's good. Even better if there's an iPhone version I can sync with as well. Any recommendations?

I switched from NetNewsWire to ReadKit. It's pretty similar to NNW, but it syncs with a bunch of different services (I use Feedly).

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Chris Knight posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Knowledge Base?

Following a suggestion here, I went to Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Advanced, and unchecked "Never use font sizes smaller than…”, and that fixed it for me.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Anyone know what's the best (or have a favorite) Mac program to use to convert a MOV file to a MP4?

Most of the time, the MP4 turns out to be darker and look washed out. It's like that using Handbrake, Final Cut Pro, Converter, and Sorenson Squeeze. It appears to be a common issue. http://larryjordan.com/articles/compressor-x264-improve-video/

Only on Aimersoft for some reason does it not change the brightness and colors at all, but even on the highest setting it's a little blurry. The quality is still lovely.

If the video is H.264, you can use Subler to move it to a m4v/mp4 file without reencoding. If not, you could try ffmpeg.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It is H.264. Sublet works for getting video. But it leaves the audio alone. It says "Sound track PCM has not been muxed." Is that normal? What do I do for the audio?

I’ve not seen that before, myself. What format is the audio?

One thing to try (if you haven’t already):
Open Subler
File>New
File> Import>File…
Navigate to the file you’re trying to convert. Subler will then list the tracks in the source file and options for handling them (passthrough, convert to AAC, etc.)

Subler also has an update just today, so that’s something as well.

Good luck.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Subler didn't work for me for some reason. When I did passthrough, it gave me the previous error message I posted. When I did convert to AAC, it actually crashed on me each time. (The newest version) But I found another demux program that did work, called MP4tools. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Glad it worked out.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

beefnoodle posted:

Is Subler still what people are using to repackage MKVs into m4vs for use in iTunes/AppleTV? If not, what's the best?

I find that it works just fine. The only issue I run into is that quite often there are audio sync problems when it does AC3 to AAC conversion. If the MKV doesn’t have AAC audio, I’ll use ffmpeg to convert it. (Actually, I use iFFmpeg, which is a UI front-end for ffmpeg, but if you’re comfortable with the command line, there’s no reason to go out and spend the $20.)

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
After updating to High Sierra, I noticed that Logic Pro X’s custom icon dialog — which is supposed to just show images sorted by file name — was all out of order. A few other apps do the same thing. To test this I created a folder with duplicate files numbered sequentially and wrote an Automator script to generate a list, and this is what I got:
code:
~/Desktop/Files/File 08.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 09.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 10.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 04.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 05.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 11.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 07.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 13.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 12.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 06.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 02.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 16.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 17.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 03.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 15.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 01.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 14.txt
It seems to be related to APFS, because when I put the folder on an external HFS+ volume, the list was sorted correctly. Does anyone have any idea what’s causing this? And is there anything to do about it besides reporting it to Apple?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Is there an app out there that can import old iMovie 6 files? I've got a bunch sitting on a hard drive that I'd like to be able to do something with.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Proteus Jones posted:

Doesn’t the latest version of iMovie import?

It'll import the .dv files, but not the project.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Edit: Never mind. I am dumb.

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 21, 2018

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Anyone know if it’s possible to get the Books app to sort by author’s last name?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

redneck nazgul posted:

Can you give a bit more information on this? My wife has one of the sixth-gen iPods that no longer syncs with the most recent updates.

Retroactive

I haven't used it myself.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Phoenixan posted:

iTunes still lives. It's just been split into 3 apps that behave pretty much the same.

I really really miss the previous albums view though.

The Books app is garbage, though.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

tuyop posted:

Where do audiobooks live now? Audiobooks in iTunes is a big deal to me. :ohdear:

As noted, audiobooks are now in the Books app. I have approximately 3700 audiobook files in iTunes, so it was a pretty big deal to me when I found that Books

• Does not use iTunes’ sort tag, so all of my books were sorted by author’s first name
• Offers no way to edit metadata
• Buries all of the audio files in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books
• Won’t play through more than one set of speakers at the same time (I like to sometimes have audiobooks playing through my Mac speakers and through the Airplay speakers in my bedroom)

This last one is such an iOS-like behavior, that I feel like the Books app is just a Catalyst port of the iOS iBooks app.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that Catalina’s handling of audiobooks was the deciding factor when I went back to Mojave, but it was a pretty big one.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

tuyop posted:

Oh drat! Could you symlink to the library on an NAS or what?

Apparently not.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

tuyop posted:

Thanks! And to anyone else who helped.

Also, if you want to never see the Catalina update,

code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
System Preferences will still show you that there is an update, but it won’t appear in the Software Updates pref pane.

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 25, 2020

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Catalina's handling of audiobooks is astonishingly bad, and as far as I know it's not gotten any better since the initial release. I have a lot of audiobooks, and I can't think of any features that Catalina offers to make it worth it.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Does anyone here have any experience using Retroactive to run iTunes in Catalina? I might need to install Catalina for compatibility with work, I’d like to use iTunes to avoid Catalina terrible handling of audiobooks.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Strange request: does anyone know of software that can rip subtitle files from .mkv files?

Depending on what format you need the subtitles in, you can use Subler.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with iMessage alerts on Big Sur (11.1) coming in with no contact info? The alert has the contact's phone number but the Messages app itself has their names - address book seems synced up, too.

I get that, too. I saw somewhere that it’s some issue with Contacts syncing. Forcing a sync might work. System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud. Uncheck Contacts. Close, wait a few minutes, go back and check Contacts. I think this worked for me the last time.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

101 posted:

Is there a way I can check if my Mac is sleeping correctly?

I use ‎Amphetamine to keep it awake when I'm using it and it appears to sleep when I use an Alfred command or a Hot Corner but I just want to check that it definitely is and it's not just the displays that are turned off.

Edit: It looks like checking the 'Forced Sleep' option in Amphetamine would do what I want but I'd still appreciate a way to check

I use Sleep-Wake Logger

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

the talent deficit posted:

the macos app store updater is the most user hostile piece of software i think i've ever encountered. pops up daily to nag me to install updates, steals focus from whatever i'm doing and has a 15 second "cool down" before i can close it or dismiss it. what a piece of loving junk

before you tell me to just not use the app store: there's software required for my job that is only available via the app store

Can you not just turn off notifications for the App Store?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

knox_harrington posted:

Newb here, how do I get Transmission to install as an actual application? I did the drag .dmg file to Applications but just seem to have a temporary app installed in a folder. I have a Transmission…drive? on my desktop. It doesn’t actually appear in Applications.

A DMG file is a Disk Image. When you double click on it, it opens as a virtual drive which contains the application. Drag the application icon from the Transmission window to your Applications folder, and then eject the Transmission drive (drag it to the trash).

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Machai posted:

I've got two iMacs I'm trying to boot into recovery mode but they just flat out refuse. One is on Catalina, the other is unknown.

The second one will boot into diagnostics mode when I hold D during startup, but any attempt at cmd+R or its variations is ignored. I definitely booted it into network recovery mode at some point, but it errored out afterward (forgot to write the message down). I've tried waiting until I see the backlight come on before pressing buttons, I've tried pressing buttons immediately after pressing the power button, I've tried pushing the buttons at the same time or by slightly leading with cmd then R. Tried with multiple Mac and windows keyboards.

The one on Catalina just does not care about any key commands, it won't even boot into diagnostics like the other one. I can see in the disk utility that it does have a recovery partition.

Probably too obvious, but do you have the keyboard plugged into a hub?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Does anyone know of a Safari extension or something that will either fix or replace the Youtube search? I did a search a few minutes ago, and the “For You” section was full of videos of people getting murdered.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Grassy Knowles posted:

That never happens for me could I ask what you searched?

“Joe fisher midnight burger"

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

FCKGW posted:

Go into your Youtube search history and remove whatever triggered those suggestions
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57711?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Yeah, I did that a few days ago so that I would stop seeing another video that it kept recommending.

Anyway, I’m trying UnTrap, which seems to be working.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Taima posted:

So uhhhh are you the only person on the device….?

Yes, I’m the only person using this device. I think it’s just YouTube being terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

TACD posted:

I am constantly opening up a TextEdit window purely to paste and re-copy text without formatting, completely forgetting there’s an Alfred shortcut that would do it for me :doh:

Cmd-Opt-Shift-V also works.