Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

- Updated my iPod Touch to iOS 5
- Listened to music on my way to work
- Signed-up for iCloud
- Went to listen to music on the way home and discovered that my iPod's entire music library had been deleted.

Thanks Apple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Bobby Digital posted:

Is five years of Rosetta really that 'cavalier?'

Yes and no.

It's a tiny little app that is incredibly useful to a lot of people. They should have spun it off as an optional, paid, AppStore product.

Everybody wins.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

Except Rosetta isn't Apple's technology to sell, and IBM (who purchased its developer) isn't allowing third parties to license it anymore.

Well poo poo. I didn't know the dev got bought out.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

So glad to see Messages still doesn't really work.

Syncing messages between iPhones and Macs is unreliable at best. The whole thing feels shoddy.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Huh, so I got my Up-To-Date code in the mail for a macbook air I bought a month ago, but the app store won't accept it - "not recognized as a valid code." Anyone else have this? Sorry if I've overlooked someone in the thread.

Are you using the code in the locked PDF, or the code to unlock the PDF?

Any whitespace when you copy and paste it?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

timb posted:

Anyone having problems with Messages not syncing up, make sure you're using the same Apple ID for iMessaging on all the devices. I know this sounds obvious, but if you have a separate Apple ID for purchases, that one might be registered on one or more of the devices.

I ended up setting them all to my @me address and it's been working flawlessly for me.

I tried setting the caller ID to my AppleID, but it didn't work reliably. The sync was still flaky.

I shouldn't have to change my caller ID. My iPhone can handle iMessages sent to either my phone number or AppleID, it should work the same way on a Mac.

Honestly, I expected better from Apple.

Also, does Messages actually open when you receive a new iMessage, or was that my imagination? Talk about a lovely default behavior.

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 3, 2012

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Arivia posted:

But you should submit your Up-To-Date request now so you can install it when ML is better for you.

This.

You only have a few weeks to do it.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Mac Outlook 2011 is the worst app I've ever used on any machine or platform. In this case, a 2010 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. No more than 1,200 emails left in my Exchange inbox at any one time, because Microsoft can't handle what Eudora could back in 1996, or Gmail or even Apple Mail can deal with today.

Keep in mind, this is post-restart, full Onyx repair / cleaning routine with no other apps running and a freshly-rebuilt Outlook profile.

The application can take 3 to 4 minutes to start. If you dare to start it too soon after seeing the desktop come up, it will hang 2 or 3 times and need to be force-quit until it decides it feels like launching.

Office Reminders will take 2 minutes to start and hang Outlook until it finishes its super hard struggle of launching. I don't care if the server is up or down. Just start already and then be like "Oh crap, no communication with the server" without crashing, or bringing down every drat app too.

Outlook randomly changes text formatting after I hit "Send". What I typed isn't what ends up in the message in "Sent Items". This makes me look like a moron. We're not talking fancy formatting, but typing an email, changing the formatting of two lines, only for a random font and size to be chosen after the email goes out.

It randomly refuses to change text formatting. Because that's too hard. Step 1: Select all text with the mouse. Step 2: Select a font... wow, it won't let me do that. It just refuses to let me pick any font at all. Can't even get the drop-down. Step 3: Pick a common size... nope. Can't do that, either. Maybe my employer needs to upgrade to the Outlook 2011 Super Extreme Professional Deluxe Edition or something.

Outlook will randomly paste text onto random lines other than the one the cursor is on. Even with "Paste and Match Style".

It struggles to accept keyboard input. Typing an email results in serious text lag, and random beach balling.

Reading a one line message with no attachments that arrived ten minutes earlier = beach ball.

Reading a meeting invite = beach ball for 30 seconds.

Switching from Mail to Calendar view? Beach ball.

PCs connected to the Exchange server don't have these problems, and a lot of these problems shouldn't be server-side, so I'm putting it at the feet of Microsoft.

It's an email / calendar program. We had this sorted out by 1995.

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 19, 2012

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Safari 6 has more beachballs than a Frankie Avalon movie.

And this is on a brand new MBP with no browser extensions installed, all settings reset and a fresh user account.

Text input is flaky at best. The curser and text tend to vanish while typing on many sites.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

IUG posted:

Ever have one of those days? Is Microsoft Office 2011 really this much of a piece of poo poo?

Yes. It completely shits itself doing what Eudora could handle in 1996.

It demands constant archiving of mail from your inbox to your physical machine, because it will completely die if you keep thousands of emails in your Exchange inbox. Working from the web interface on another machine and need to search your mail from six months ago? Ahahahhahahaha. Not happening. Having something from a few months ago readily available is just not Microsoft Outlook 2011 Mac Edition Best Practices™.

Oh no! I accidentally clicked on a meeting invite! Time to freeze for 30 seconds!

Office Reminders has been bouncing for 10 seconds straight! The suspense is killing me! Can't wait to see what meeting is scheduled!

I'm just going to automatically send all mail for the person I'm a delegate to this one fold... Oh... that's not supported.

I'm just going to copy and paste (matching style) this text into an email and... Wait... my cursor was at the end of the line, so why did my text past to the line above it, and change the font of the text already on the page?

OK, I selected everything and changed the font and size to be uniform. Let me go back and read that sent email. Huh, paragraphs are randomly different fonts and sizes!

Email was something we figured out a long time ago. Wish Microsoft could handle it on the Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Seriously? I just purchased and downloaded Keynote today from the App Store. Keynote, one of Apple's major apps, isn't even up to date with their own services? :wtc:

Just be glad you didn't get the iTools, .Mac or .Me versions instead! :downs: