Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Just ran the update via the update inside osx and no problems here on my 2011 MBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Gism0 posted:

hell yes. They have an API in iOS, why not OSX? I'm stuck using iTunes to play music half the time because there's no support for Airplay in anything else.

http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

I find this piece of software to be freaking excellent... buuuuuuuuut total agreement, why the heck isnt it intergrated

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Rrail posted:

Hey guys, I have a question. I am very new to Mac's as a whole. I bought a Macbook Pro in late December 2010. I'll have to get all of the stats when I get back to my room, but I believe it's a 17". It was like $2000 before adding in Apple Care and all that crap.

Anyways, I have tried to play games on it before. I downloaded Civ IV through the App Store, and it was fine until there were a ton of units on the board at which point it got really choppy. I am reading now that games like WoW and SW:TOR should run fine on it, but that will require Bootcamp and a Windows 7 install.

I am in Iraq so I can't exactly just run out and grab a copy of Bootcamp. I can probably get a copy of Window's 7 but it's definitely going to be an illegal copy so I don't want to do that. Is there a way for me to get both of these things legitimately over the internet? My Mac has a DVD Burner so I could create boot CD's or whatever.

Please excuse my idiocy. I'd really like to play these games (specifically SW:TOR) because I have a lot of time to kill.

WoW has a mac version, and i wouldn't bother with ToR.. its actually very lackluster... but play it if you want..

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I have a dedicated XBMC HTPC, and it streams to everything with minimum fuss. But I believe it needs to be running to do this...

Also that said, XBMC now supports Airplay, so you can now stream to it as it has an Airplay Server on it.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I wonder if this is a hard "minimum" or just whether it will run with less, albeit in some degraded manner.

I have a late 2011 macbook air, and im using the CS6 beta.

I'm a graphic designer FWIW... so I use it really really heavily... and I have absolutely no problems.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Alfred is so much better than Spotlight!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I've had a quick look for something simple i can roll out to our mac users in my office so that when they connect to the work WIFI, it connects to the AFP share in the office..

I've seen a few options, but I'm sadly not understanding them at this moment... does anyone have a nice simple tool i can roll out that they know of?

if not I can knuckledown and learn these commandline tools i found.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Hopewell posted:

I used MarcoPolo for years until it stopped working well/at all when I upgraded to Lion. Nowadays, I'm using Control Plane. Works like a charm, has an active developer, and has a few more settings than MarcoPolo. Can't recommend it enough.

Thanks that's brilliant!

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

Anyone else used Photoshop CS6 on OS X and gotten pissed that they've completely ignored the OS X windows behaviour by giving it a Windows-esq window frame as the default option?

(I know it's easily disabled, but apps that ignore the standard mannerisms of any OS drive me crazy)

No sorry mate, but I can say that myself and my other designers in my firm absolutely love the one window behaviour of CS6. It's a godsend when multi-monitoring with a laptop... I can unplug my air, and then resize the window and its all fine, no more dragging multiple window crap around all over the place and resetting the workspace.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Mercurius posted:

I've been using Cocoon, which is a plugin for iChat that allows it to connect to MSN. Seems to work fine with both iChat and the Messages beta.

I have to say, I actually really like the Messages beta. It works well with Facebook/MSN (with the plugin) and you can send/receive iMessages to other iOS/Messages users from the same place. It's also got a nicer interface than iChat (in my opinion, anyway).

Speaking of messages beta (which i love) I have tried to find out how to add friends on imessages .. i've added my account, and done all that, but still cannot add any other imessage accounts...

am i missing something?

edit: I figured it out, i don't add them as a buddy in the buddy window, i start a new converation and type their name in...

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2012

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

yeah i figured it out....

I was clicking the plus button on the buddy list expecting it to have a dialogue where i could add a buddy with imessage accounts... i didn't see a dialogue, and it made no sense to me...

So then I thought maybe i could just make a new conversation in the conversation window, and type in my friends name or imessage account details, and Volia, it works.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

El Duke Silver posted:

Coda 2 for web development is highly recommended, if you're doing any of that, and it's currently $25 off. $75

I tried coda2 and it didn't win me back, I still prefer to use Sublime Text 2 .. I also find Dreamweaver CS6 way to bulky for what i need it for.

Also if you're like me, going between work and home with your laptop, and connecting to shared drives, then i recommend Controlplane

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

KingEup posted:

Is there a way to set up a non-apple keyboard to power-off my display?

Control + Shift + Eject works on apple keyboards but I can't figure out how to get it working on my logitech solar keyboard.

I use Alfred, and setup a keybinding to command+fn+f12

Mine goes to screensaver instead of turning the screen off...

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

low-key-taco posted:

Wow how have I never heard of this program before. It's like a better version of Programmer's Notepad that is cross platform. No more vim for me on mac.

Yeah and it gets even better with plugins! enjoy your new editing addiction!

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

With "clamshell mode" as someone called it earlier..is there any way that I can connect up my macbook air and wake it up without opening it?

It seems that I can never get it to turn on, I constantly leave the MBA open whilst using the second display as a primary.

My setup is

USB Mac Keyboard
Magic Mouse
thunderbolt - to - hdmi - to - my monitor
and its connected to power.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Would appear that 10.8.2's facebook contact pictures are displayed in contacts, but not in messages or mail.

This happening to anyone else?

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Oh My Science posted:

Gimp is nice, but the UI is a pain in the rear end and it requires X11 to install (last time I checked).

Actually, GIMP dropped x11. That said, its UI is still a pain in the rear end.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

You can build openEMU from source, its dead easy.. search for their github and they give you instructions. OpenEMU is really amazing!

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

While we're on the topic of bitching about the App Store, why the hell didn't they pull a concept from the iOS app store and allow you to update your apps without having to put in your freaking AppleID password every single time? Sometimes I'm just baffled by how these things happen.

I think that has more to do with local user permissions than anything else.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

As a Frontend Developer / Interaction Designer, I spend most of my time in browsers, and this is how I feel the current state of performance is for each browser on my 2012 Retina 15" MBP

1.) Safari is the fastest browser in terms of performance, scrolling is really fast on it. This is the most apparent when I'm browsing on Tumblr, or anything with infinite scroll. It seems to handle Javascript really efficiently in regards to performance.

2.) Chrome is awesome its second in line when it comes to performance, It can get a little lovely when doing infinite scroll or some heavy content websites, but it gets there. Scrolling seems smooth unless the content is still sideloading.

3.) Firefox is a joke, the javascript engine is just slow, and the performance of the browser is terrible... Only thing I open Firefox for is to test Firefox specific CSS on it...

Now that's anecdotal yes, however I use Chrome 99% of the time, with Safari being the browser I use when I need to log into a website that uses Java (no java plugin for Chrome yet) If Safari had a inbuilt translator like Chrome did, I would switch in a heartbeat. Finally (little off topic) as a developer, Chrome's inspection tool is the best, followed by Firefox's.. Safari's is ok too, but since it's a webkit browser there really isn't a specific need in 99% of the cases to do any inspection tool work in safari, over chrome. (There are some edge cases)

All chrome needs is a mac java plugin, and to make scrolling smoother on content heavy pages that employ any kind of javascript to manipulate the DOM, such as infinite scroll.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Please note when I'm talking about Javascript, I'm not talking about Java, although I did mention actual Java, in chrome, or lack there of... And I completely agree the lack of 64bit support is woeful. Considering that there are 64bit binaries for Linux Chrome.

Sure I could build a 64bit chromium mac binary, but why isn't this the main version? Considering that some Mac endusers are really not wise to this problem. This is a common complaint here in the country I live in (Norway) Where our banking and government login systems use Java as the login method for our key fob. Imagine not being able to login to your bank, or to do your taxes or to change your doctor, being forced to change browser just for that interaction.

I can understand Apples decision for removing sunjava6, but I cannot understand why Google is refusing to update the browser. What's even more surprising to me, is that there are google development teams here in Scandinavia, so those Google employees KNOW the problem, and are forced to either install an outdated and un-maintained version of java, or switch browsers to a competitor. If 64bit chromium exists, why not 64bit chrome?

Sorry to sidetrack

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

Does anyone know of a file transfer client that supports s3's server side encryption? Possibly one that doesn't suck. I have tried forklift, cyberduck, transmit I think... I don't think any of these have support for server side encryption settings. If i have to go into the AWS s3 web interface after the fact to enable it on a file it defeats the purpose of a GUI.

I use Expandrive

http://www.expandrive.com

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I work in sublime all day, it's my editor of choice, and I'm not alone.

Atom is kinda ok, but its written in C++ / Node.js / CoffeeScript / JS / CSS / HTML, which is an odd choice considering the C++/Python of Sublime. The plugin community in atom is just not there right now, and to be honest I'm not sure they will get there anytime soon. Not to the depth that Sublime has.

Look if you're a special snowflake and cannot understand JSON then you really shouldn't be programming in the first place.

Basically:

If you want your text editor to hold your hand, you should be using an IDE, or something like Dreamweaver..

If you want to get poo poo done faster then there are plenty of better alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

Anyone put Win10 on Bootcamp yet? All good? All bad? Anything I should know? I have a (questionable) 8.1 install on bootcamp and I was just gonna nuke it and start fresh. Thoughts?

[edit] And if I am buying this legit, do I want Home, or Pro or what? I mostly just use it for games.

[edit] If the support page is to be believed / is current... Windows 10 is not supported yet, so I guess "Nevermind!" unless someone has something interesting to add/suggest. :)

i've had win10 on bootcamp since the early previews... its awesome, i killed my win7 partition and started again from win10 fresh

try upgrading and see what happens