Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FamDav posted:

How is bootcamp going to work with Lion? Where will my drivers come from?

Lion should come with "Boot Camp Assistant", which when run will prompt you to download the necessary files that can then be used to install Windows. The download files will include the drivers necessary to install Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have Skype in /Applications and ~/Applications, maybe?

I love how there's always one person with a completely hosed up system going ":argh: APPLE! :argh:"

While I fully agree that it's pretty ridiculous and in this case I'm not referring to the guy's MBP issue, you know... Apple can make mistakes/release buggy software or hardware. :P

Off-topic: Your new avatar. It's so... mesmerizing...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm not here to defend Apple, but Lion in my experience has been the best 10.x.0 release that they've ever done. They're always going to be buggy though and there's always going to be 10.x.1 within a month of release to clean up the issues that become apparent with mass adoption. Don't be an early adopter if you can't deal with a few rough spots.

But when one user come in with a completely hosed system as opposed to the many people who just have minor issues, it's generally a problem with their setup or something that needs to be corrected at the Genius Bar.
All good points. Though you really do think it's the best 10.x.0 release ever? Personally I always favored 10.1.0 since it made OS X usable (joking... well, not on the usable part).

Admittedly I haven't had a chance yet to use Lion so I can't comment on it, but so far my favorite release was probably Leopard, but here's hoping Lion replaces it in that regard.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Ahhh I see.

My pet theory is that we will see the next generation of MacBooks (well, Pro I guess :smith: ) with a touchscreen and maybe the ability to fold it back like a tablet. Apple is slowly bringing the features of iOS and OSX together to support this.
To an extent I like the idea, but having used touchscreen-enabled monitors before for work, honestly I could see it becoming tiresome really quickly, with regards to holding your arms up, etc. It works well for tablets since you can put them in your lap and have your arms more-comfortable resting when using the touch screen, but it seems like it'd be more of a gimmick than anything else on a MBP.

Re: convergence of iOS and OS X, it's understandable given Apple's incredible success with iOS devices, but a part of me worries they're going to dumb-down OS X over the next few years by stripping out features that their target, casual audience don't really need, until it's essentially just the current iOS but with a little more desktop functionality. :/

DirtyWorker posted:

And yet professionals continue to use Macs.. :P Go figure.
To be fair, in the IT environment I work in, many of the professionals who are using Macs and OS X, are becoming more vocal in meetings and around the office about their dislike of the direction that Apple is going. I wouldn't at all be surprised if in the next 3-5 years a lot of them switch back to a different OS, depending on the direction Apple continues to take.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 21, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DirtyWorker posted:

After the gently caress up that was FCPX, I don't blame them. It seems Apple is going all consumer. They've already removed Xserv, and made Lion Server an update to regular Lion, they are also basically telling Adobe to suck it. I have no idea what they are thinking though.

Edit: Probably singing "We're in the money! We're in the money, come on, my honey, Let's lend it, spend it, send it rolling along!"
Yeah, I mean I can't blame them, given that their consumer-focused products is what's making them a BOATLOAD of money and allowing them to build a giant flying saucer for their new corporate headquarters, but still, it's somewhat sad to see their professional products taking the bullet for their success.

Though from past articles and stories I've read about Steve Jobs, it seems as if he's never really cared all that much about the professional markets anyway.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DirtyWorker posted:

I guess that market was convenient when it kept Apple alive at one point. Not so much now when they have more money in the bank then most "rich" countries in the world. :P

I'm betting that flying saucer HQ will be taking off by 2020, leaving earth behind to create an utopia on some distant planet.
I love the look of their planned HQ, but I'm kinda surprised he didn't go with a building shaped like the Apple logo. The whole "each piece of glass is curved" concept could have still applied. :P

lord funk posted:

This is true. A coworker of mine explained it from their perspective. Who should you write software for? The pros, who are aging stalwarts of their tools, or the general public, who are the YouTube-era media makers of the future?
Yeah, I mean, it makes sense from a "maximizing profit" perspective, but given how much money they are bringing it, it'd be nice if they could at least put a few more resources into their professional lineup. Even though it's not their most lucrative market, I doubt it's losing them money.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

frunksock posted:

I bought and upgraded to Lion on my MBP. I also have a Mini running SL Server because that's what it came with (I don't think I actually use any Server features). So, since my understanding was that buying Lion for one machine entitled you to upgrade all of your machines with it, I proceeded to try to upgrade the Mini, however it's telling me that since I have Server installed, I have to buy both Lion and Lion Server for $80.

Nybble posted:

Exactly. You can't just upgrade to regular Lion. I wanted to do that... but nope. You could wait until the USB stick is being sold, flatten the harddisk, and then install Lion, but I believe that is 60-70 bucks. Basically... it's going to cost a bit either way.

Since buying Lion through the App Store conveys a 5-machine license, couldn't frunksock simply backup his Mini, format the HDD, and install Lion fresh by having burned the .DMG to a DVD or putting it on a USB stick?

Seems like that would work fairly well, as long as backing up the Mini is an option.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, and for lion its as many machines as you control license, not 5 user.
Yeah, I said 5 machines, not 5 users. But you're right in that it's as many machines that a person can authorize through the Mac App Store, which is unlimited. I was thinking of iTunes' 5-authorized machines restriction, but it doesn't apply here.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, that was my typo.

Ah, yeah I was a little confused there. Admittedly a 5-user license would be quite the change for Apple.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

Yes it's different, and yes it will take getting used to, but it makes sense from an outsider perspective. In a few years only the spergiest people will still be pissed off about this, the rest will have adapted to getting on with their work rather than worrying whether or not they've saved recently, and correctly.

I don't get why you can't simply accept that A LOT of people dislike this change. You do realize that it's... ok... to criticize something Apple has done, right? Saint Steve won't strike you down where you sit for doing so.

As it is, there was literally no reason for Apple to completely remove it. They could easily have left it in as a feature for those who wanted it. It was a ridiculous decision.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

withak posted:

If you want people to switch then the best way is to just take away the old option, like pulling off a band-aid. Leaving the old way in won't help people transition; they will just ignore the new behavior and go to greater and greater lengths to force their crusty old workflow into the new system.

There are relatively easy ways to deal with that though. For example, it can be a feature that isn't listed by default (hence, for most users, you're essentially "forcing" them to switch to the new method anyway), but then, say, in Preferences for example, it could be selected as a feature to be listed in the menu. That way, people who want to use it can enable it, and those who don't know or care about it, don't have to see it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

I don't get why you can't simply accept that at this point, Apple are happy to do what they drat well please to make their platform work to their ideals.

Accept =/= agreeing with, you know? I can accept that, given it is Apple's OS, they are free to make whatever changes they wish. What I can't accept, is you or others getting upset that some individuals don't like the change, or that they want to voice this displeasure about it. Learn to accept others views without criticizing them, and we'll be good.

quote:

It's just different to what you've come to accept and expect. It's not even like it's a new idea, BBEdit implemented this by themselves a long time ago and it was almost universally praised, and even god drat Windows has had something similar called Shadow Copy in place for several versions previous.

Yeah, but in Windows' case at least, they didn't eliminate an option to do so. "Save as..." is around just as it always was. No one is saying "Man, I wish Apple hadn't introduced new options for saving". People are saying "Wow, why did Apple have to eliminate an option when introducing another?". Windows did it right. Apple did it wrong. You can disagree with that all you want, but your isn't necessarily the right view.

quote:

Put bluntly, I can accept that people don't like it. That's called an opinion. Stating that it's fundamentally wrong and crying about something that is actively preventing you losing data is stupid. Have you even tried using the previous versions interface?
I never said it was "fundamentally wrong" to do so. Maybe someone else did, but I didn't. I said it was a bad decision to eliminate it. That is my opinion. My view that it is a bad decision doesn't mean I think Apple was wrong to do so because, well, it's their OS! Oh, and no, you haven't been able to accept that people don't like it, since you're telling people to "suck it up". That's not accepting their distaste over it. Thanks.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Does Apple still sell Leopard that I can install on a MDD G4? I want to set up a dedicated machine for my SCSI 35mm scanner and I've got this MDD dual 1.4 sitting around collecting dust. I'd love to clean install it but I don't have my Leopard media anymore, and haven't had them for quite some time.

Is Craigslist/eBay my only hope now? Apple store still sells 10.6 but doesn't seem to go back further.

e: Actually it looks like I might need to go back to 10.4. I think I'll just scrap this idea and go with VueScan on a Linux machine instead, nevermind :(

As far as I know, nothing prior to 10.6 is officially sold (with 10.6 sales likely to end relatively soon I'm guessing too).

However, if you do really want 10.5 or 10.4 on there at some point, one thing you can try is taking it in to an Apple Store. Not too long back I found out that while they don't sell copies anymore, they still often keep copies of older OS X versions around, so that if customers do come in with older PPC Macs, they can re-install the OS if necessary. It may vary by store, but I do know a couple of the stores in the Phoenix area had copies of 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 on hand (don't know if they had anything older).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Terpfen posted:

I've never had a single crash in any 10.x.0 version. Ever.

Guessing you never used 10.0.0 ;)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I like to pretend everything before 10.3 didn't exist.

Even though I pretty much used OSX since day one :suicide:

Yeah, I'd used Apple systems growing up, then took a break in the mid-to-late 90s as I basically switched to Windows for awhile (mostly to building my own systems), but came back to using Apple systems when OS X beta was out (a friend's father was a developer and gave me a copy at the time, which is how I became interested in OS X).

As poor as OS X 10.0, 10.1 and to a lesser extent 10.2 were, it's still nice in some ways to be able to reflect on how much it has changed and improved since then. It's funny though going to places like MacRumors or such and seeing how people rag on XP - while it's certainly not ideal now, for awhile OS X was just so much worse (at least in my opinion, and OS X fairly quickly caught up and surpassed it).

I do love though how there were quite a few systems that, while initially listed as supporting OS X when it was released, really had no business using it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, yeah, a lot of those pictures bring back frustration-filled and yet nice, fun memories. Though did I ever hate the stripes in Aqua...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

Possibly Exchange stuff?

Yeah, I'm thinking those may be used to allow applications that can access Exchange or other MS software/files the ability to find and open said files.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Is there any way to format a thumb drive to FAT32 from within Lion?

Disk Utility?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Just recently purchased a Samsung 830 256 GB for my 13" MBP, and got it installed successfully. One question though: has the Trim Enabler app been working well with ML so far, or would it be best to go through the manual method in Terminal?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I picked up Parallels 7 about a month ago when Newegg had the sale on the academic version. I installed the trial version off of Parallel's website thinking that once the copy of Parallels arrived (it's on a Kingston flash drive) I could get the key, upgrade it to 8 as per the upgrade offer, then use 8's key in the version I installed. I can't seem to find the key however, which leads into my question: am I boned, and just going to have to uninstall Parallels 8, install Parallels 7 from the USB key, upgrade, then do my Windows 7 install again?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

macOS Fully Baked High Sierra

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

:eyepop: Holy poo poo it's eGPU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Dammit Apple, get back with nVidia.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Not true HDR if it's only 600 nits...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is there where we link that one thread where everyone was crying about the first iPod's price tag?

The HomePod uugggh isn't an iPod, but Apple's sold far less for more.

Except the iPod, when it debuted, had no true equal or anything that surpassed it. It's weakest link was that you had to have a Mac.

That's not the case for the HomePod.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Did 10.14.1 end up releasing with the cMP firmware updates that included bootable NVME?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So after installing Mojave on my (4,1 -> 5,1 flashed) cMP, I'm trying to sign in to iMessage, but it's not letting me. I've confirmed my Apple ID and password for it work via various other logins, as well as directly logging into iCloud.com, Apple's ID management page, etc., but when I try to login on my cMP, the options to create a new Apple ID or Forgot Apple ID/password briefly disappear, only to then re-appear moments later. No error message or anything.

I've tried doing the auto date/timezone trick, but that still didn't work. Is the next step the NVRAM reset?

Edit - Also what's odd is that my RAM, that previously ran as 1333, is back to 1066; I have the X5690 installed, and the RAM on High Sierra and earlier ran at 1333.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 30, 2018

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

PRAM reset looks like the best choice.. did you update to Mojave 10.14.1 so you get the enhanced 140.0.0.0 BootROM or are you still on an MPXXX BootROM / 10.14.0?

I upgraded for the enhanced 140.0.0.0 BootROM, and then proceeded to get an on-sale 1TB HP EX920 NVMe drive that I paired with the Angelbird PX1, to replace an old Sandisk Ultra II drive that was installed in one of the SATA bays.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Obligatory "Is Big Sur a suitable upgrade from Catalina at this point on Macs that support both?"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Have you tried downloading the installer from here? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I also really like the Logitech M720 ("Performance Plus" at Costco); it's $20 on sale regularly, can be used between three devices, and holds up well.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I usually wait for .2 or .3 to upgrade, but is that Wi-Fi cutout bug related to just Ventura? I’ve been noticing it with my 14 MBP on Monterey.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I figure this is the best place to ask this, but is anyone here running Windows 11 (or 10) via Parallels, but off of an external drive?

I was thinking of running Windows 11 via Parallels off of an nVME External SSD, but wasn’t sure how much of a performance loss this is vs. using the internal drive.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone in our office managed to delete about a hundred gig of data from OneDrive by mistake. I spent days trying to recover it from any of the machines that were synced, and it was absolute toast. That plus the constant little irritations it provides (won’t let me run macros on documents that I created from scratch due to security and none of the online guides to fix it work, and many more) have me soured against it and every Microsoft product. Windows is, and always has been, absolute loving garbage.

Not that Apple have a particularly good foothold in the type of software we use so I’m sure that’s no better tbh, but I use Office suite on Windows machines so that’s what I’ll gripe about.

Not that this is a defense of OneDrive, but OneDrive has a means of recovering both Cloud-side and Client-side data that is sync’d, even at the user level. So if someone deleted even that, it means they really wanted those files deleted…

Cold on a Cob posted:

I have that same plan and I disagree - the way OneDrive handles photos is absolutely idiotic, unless something has changed over the last few years and it stopped treating all image files as something that should appear in the Photos section of OneDrive. I've also found uploading to OneDrive (at least from a Mac) is slow as hell and the client was unstable as hell when I tried it ~1 year ago. Works great on my Windows laptop at work though.

I can’t speak for the photos side, but the macOS client has been fine for me across a few different systems and even multiple accounts signed in at once, so I’m guessing they improved it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

I don't know how many years ago this happened but, since at least two years, there is a dedicated "I hosed up and destroyed everything/got crypto locked" mode that will revert every single change up to a date of your choosing, even outside of the native limits on conventional versioning or maximum recycle bin retention. We used it on a couple of our accounts and we recovered 200+ gigs without issues.

Yeah, that’s why part of why it was confusing, because deleting all of the files on OneDrive client-side, or even using the webgui interface, would have deleted them all, but then sent it to the deleted items folder accessible via the webgui. So they would have had to have not only deleted it on their machine (or in their folders via the webgui), they would then have had to elected to go into the deleted items/recovery area and deleted all of the files there too.

And then that doesn’t even get into what you mention, where the Office 365 Administrator (whether local to this office, or support provided by MS) could separately recover the files regardless of what the user themselves did for what they have access to.

And I know the Administatror-side has had recovery capabilities above and beyond what is locally available, for at least 3-5 years now.

The above functionality is definitely awesome too now though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

https://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-2024-mac/

Autodesk announces that they just released an Apple Silicon native version of AutoCAD, hopefully this will meet the needs of long suffering AutoCAD Mac users who had to make do with running the Intel version in Rosetta.

Eh, the Windows version in general is significantly superior to the Mac version, so while it’s good that it’s now native to ASi, I’d be interested in knowing how many are actually using the Mac version relative to just running it in Parallels even.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Warbird posted:

If we're feeling really froggy the version of Blender that just came out added additional M series support and it has something like 4x the frames it did prior. I've been meaning to throw the laptop at some old scenes and see how it compares to the 1080.

Yeah, that’ll be interesting to see, because Blender is one of the main wedge issues that seems to drive certain Mac forums crazy in terms of Intel Mac Pro vs. Apple Studio/future ASi Mac Pro

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I know no-one here knows, but I do wonder how much longer the Intel Macs will get current macOS releases.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone here used the custom driver packages from bootcampdrivers.com? I'm always wary of using non-official drivers, so wanted to see if anyone had used them or knew of any security risks/concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So it sounds like no-one here has used bootcampdrivers.com, which sucks because I was hoping someone could re-assure me, lol.

Probably a dumb question, but if I installed it on the bootcamp partion, and the bootcamp install is solely for gaming, is there any risk of compromise on macOS, where my actual day-to-day usage is, including for work?

Spoderman posted:

she’s right to. blizzard had mac ports of every game of theirs from the 90s up until overwatch. why’d they suddenly stop? they owe her an answer

I'm sure some beancounter decided that they couldn't cover their profit margin target from Mac users and Mac ports; I'm sure that PC sales were subsidizing Mac development for awhile.