Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

nitsuga posted:

Looks like OWC has a kit, but I've picked up on a little bit of a grudge here on those guys.

Binary Badger posted:

Aura drives use some kind of godawful controllers running a proprietary RAID 0 setup; they only recently updated them to be compatible with High Sierra, before that, people who updated to High Sierra with their drives wound up with non-bootable machines. God knows what would happen to them with Mojave.

Looks like they've moved on to a new design. The old one ("OWC Aura") was indeed very stupid, featuring a PCIE SATA host controller with integrated RAID-0 functionality, connected to two SATA SSD controllers. However, the picture of the Aura Pro X shows a single Silicon Motion Inc SM2260G NVME controller. For a while there was no controller small vendors could use to design NVME SSDs, but SMI stepped into that void. Haven't heard bad things about it either, apparently they did a decent job (especially on providing solid baseline firmware, which is real important because the tough part of a good SSD is the firmware).

Naturally, this means OWC ends up requiring High Sierra. Went looking and, as expected, found this text above their installation guide video for the Pro X:

OWC posted:

macOS 10.13 High Sierra (or later macOS) must be installed on the host computer before installing the OWC Aura Pro X SSD. These OS versions include an EFI firmware update for your host computer. Without this update, your new OWC Aura Pro X will not function once installed.

So, I'd say the Pro X version is... kinda reasonable? Might be a smoother experience than an off the shelf NVME M.2 plus an adapter. Wasn't there some unpleasantness on certain Mac models when using an adapter + standard drive (sleep behavior iirc?) which seemed likely to be fixable with firmware tweaks?

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's fixable by injecting the DXE driver from the MacPro 6,1 into the BootROM firmware of 2013 and 2014 rMBPs.

God's perfect rMBP, the 2015 13 and 15 inch models, already have NVMe support baked into the BootROM and work just fine with the adapter and M.2 NVMe drives, sleep and hibernation supported.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Mac Hardware Thread: The miracle child, the 2015 rMBP

Thanks for all the good advice. Would you anticipate any problems using a drive from a 2015 rMBP in a 2014 rMBP, then? Getting another Apple one would be cool, so I could ditch the 256GB this thing came with, and kind of level the costs that way.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dick Trauma posted:

As a former retail person I never get tired of seeing "pos." :allears:

It's an appropriate acronym.

Although I will say the iPad makes a great POS machine compared to the IBM poo poo I had to use when I was working at Target.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nitsuga posted:

Mac Hardware Thread: The miracle child, the 2015 rMBP

Thanks for all the good advice. Would you anticipate any problems using a drive from a 2015 rMBP in a 2014 rMBP, then? Getting another Apple one would be cool, so I could ditch the 256GB this thing came with, and kind of level the costs that way.

Nope

BobHoward posted:

So, I'd say the Pro X version is... kinda reasonable? Might be a smoother experience than an off the shelf NVME M.2 plus an adapter. Wasn't there some unpleasantness on certain Mac models when using an adapter + standard drive (sleep behavior iirc?) which seemed likely to be fixable with firmware tweaks?

Where OWC is concerned, I'd sooner put trust in a no name company, no name adapter, and a Samsung / Micron NVMe drive than one of their Aura drives. I still hear from clients who I had recommended and installed the old Aura for, who updated to High Sierra and wound up with instant boat anchors.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 25, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If anybody's looking..

Retina MacBook 2016 with 8 GB RAM / 256 GB SSD for only $849 through Woot.. supposedly brand new.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/apple-12-intel-m3-256gb-macbooks-2018

quote:

These Macbooks are NEW in condition, but come with a Woot warranty.

This is why we can offer a discount.

These were originally intended as warranty replacements, and held by Apple to support their customers. Now we offer them to you!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

If anybody's looking..

Retina MacBook 2016 with 8 GB RAM / 256 GB SSD for only $849 through Woot.. supposedly brand new.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/apple-12-intel-m3-256gb-macbooks-2018

Warranty: 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty

Are these refurbs?

Best Buy has been having the 13" 128gb $950 + tax w/edu coupon, which is only $100 more. Plus you get a full 1 year warranty. Those 2016 MacBooks are real slow.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bob Morales posted:

Warranty: 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty

Are these refurbs?

Best Buy has been having the 13" 128gb $950 + tax w/edu coupon, which is only $100 more. Plus you get a full 1 year warranty. Those 2016 MacBooks are real slow.

Literally says new in the post and in the link, and the explanation is in a big orange box at the link…

FWIW these have the shittiest version of the keyboard, IMO.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"New in condition" to me says there's no cosmetic defects but it doesn't rule out that they are refurbs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Are these refurbs?

Hello I don't like reading posts but can you answer my question?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Hello I don't like reading posts but can you answer my question?

These Macbook are NEW in condition, but come with a Woot warranty. This is why we can offer a discount. These were originally intended as warranty replacements, and held by Apple to support their customers. Now we offer them to you!

Sounds kinda vague.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What the...

AppleInsider posted:

Journalist Kelly Cohen of the Washington Examiner posted a photo to Twitter Wednesday of Mueller getting his MacBook Pro looked at by an Apple Store associate, along with a woman who appears to be Mueller's wife. It's not clear if it's an older model being serviced, a new one being set up or a personal laptop being used to configure new portable devices. It appears that a wrapped Apple Watch and at least one other item are on the table as well.

Cohen identified the Apple Store location as the Georgetown store in Washington, D.C., and said that the photo was a screenshot posted to Instagram by a friend of a friend:"

I bet he has a 2017/2018 rMBP, logo not lighting up

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

apple has been all downhill since the logo stopped lighting up

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

He hates the keyboard.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Russians hacked it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Obama brought modern Apple products into the federal government when he insisted on keeping his MacBook Pro. This is proof that Mueller is really working for the Democrats’ deep state conspiracy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I had a 2015 Retina Macbook and loved the thing. I don't understand the ire for it; it was really the perfect business computer. I think the 16 had better battery and a better processor so I'd swoop on that deal if I needed a laptop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jokes posted:

I had a 2015 Retina Macbook and loved the thing. I don't understand the ire for it; it was really the perfect business computer. I think the 16 had better battery and a better processor so I'd swoop on that deal if I needed a laptop.

It’s underpowered compared to the updated models that have come after it and depending on the SKU it gets beaten in performance by an older Sandy Bridge MacBook Air.

Pretty much every Mac has “teething problems” in the first year of its release/the release of a major redesign and the MacBook is no different in that regard.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The 2017 (and hopefully 2018) rMBs are the only ones worth getting IMHO.

Perhaps if you stick Mojave on a 2016 it might run fast enough..

The 2017s are the only ones that you can get with 16 GB of RAM which makes them nice and speedy along with being able to ramp up to 3 GHz plus..

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dr. Despair posted:

apple has been all downhill since the logo stopped lighting up

I miss the lightup logo a whole lot :\

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
For some reason the WiFi speeds on my i9/32GB MBP is super slow compared to my i7/16GB.

My 2017 i7 gets 300Mbps and my i9 get's around 100 on the exact same network.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

For some reason the WiFi speeds on my i9/32GB MBP is super slow compared to my i7/16GB.

My 2017 i7 gets 300Mbps and my i9 get's around 100 on the exact same network.

Defective antennas? Wireless card fell out of spec? All the antennas are in the display assembly, so that'd be the first thing I'd have switched out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do they negotiate the same connection characteristics?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Do they negotiate the same connection characteristics?

How would I check that? They are both connected to the exact same SSID in the exact same room. :shrug:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hold option and click on the wifi drop down on the menu bar. Compare the numbers like RSSI, the channel, PHY mode.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ratbert90 posted:

How would I check that? They are both connected to the exact same SSID in the exact same room. :shrug:

Does your router broadcast a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz network with the same names? In my office my MacBook always connects to the 2.4 GHz network and its so slow.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I want to know if Robert Mueller gave the Apple Store Genius his login password so they could "run some diagnostic checks" in the backroom.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does your router broadcast a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz network with the same names? In my office my MacBook always connects to the 2.4 GHz network and its so slow.
Yeah, it always prefers the 2.4 over the 5 ghz AC because it sees the signal as stronger, even though it's slower (98% strength vs 95% strength). Other OS' seem to do the exact same thing, so it's best to just give the 5 ghz network a different name.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Replacement MBP arrived today. TrueTone is nice so far. Keyboard is quieter and feels a little better to type on. Otherwise it's another MBP. :)

I've more or less finished getting what I need transferred and will send the old one back tomorrow.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phoenixan posted:

Yeah, it always prefers the 2.4 over the 5 ghz AC because it sees the signal as stronger, even though it's slower (98% strength vs 95% strength). Other OS' seem to do the exact same thing, so it's best to just give the 5 ghz network a different name.

In this case, it's connected via AC to the 5ghz network. :shrug:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Edit: fixed below, dumb tv setting.

There's an HTPC thread, not sure if this belongs here or there.

I've got an Apple TV, 3G. A few days ago I was airplaying something to it, and when I stopped the connection my Apple TV was...zoomed in. It's like I'm using the accessibility zoom, although when I look at the accessibility menu I don't see zoom as an option. It's just the Apple TV - when I switch to xbox that's fine.

In the menu I've tried:
- changing the "adjust for airplay overscan" setting.
- changing the resolution: it's on auto, says it's 1080p.

I've restarted it, I've unplugged it and plugged back in, I've un/replugged the HDMI cable. I've returned to the scene of the crime and tried airplaying things - nothing. I haven't tried a system reset only because I hate the idea of putting in all the passwords again, but that's next on my list unless anyone has any ideas.

Here's what I see:

jackpot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 28, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The AppleTV thread might know better.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

jackpot posted:

There's an HTPC thread, not sure if this belongs here or there.

I've got an Apple TV, 3G. A few days ago I was airplaying something to it, and when I stopped the connection my Apple TV was...zoomed in. It's like I'm using the accessibility zoom, although when I look at the accessibility menu I don't see zoom as an option. It's just the Apple TV - when I switch to xbox that's fine.

In the menu I've tried:
- changing the "adjust for airplay overscan" setting.
- changing the resolution: it's on auto, says it's 1080p.

I've restarted it, I've unplugged it and plugged back in, I've un/replugged the HDMI cable. I've returned to the scene of the crime and tried airplaying things - nothing. I haven't tried a system reset only because I hate the idea of putting in all the passwords again, but that's next on my list unless anyone has any ideas.

Here's what I see:

Are there any input-specific overscan settings on your tv? Kinda looks like your tv has a lot of overscan but the Apple TV isn’t compensating at all for it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ya, that looks like a TV settings issue

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
:doh:

I didn't think it was a tv setting because my xbox doesn't share the problem (and I never, ever change the TV settings), but turns out there's a Format button on my remote that runs through h-fill, justified, 4:3, full, and...zoom.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it happened to me once too. fuckin zoom setting

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Phoenixan posted:

It’s my work office so I can’t give it another name.

It’s just so annoying cause even if the 5GHz network is at like 69% strength it’s STILL faster than the bullshit 2.4GHz network it chooses to connect to instead. I honestly would rather not use the internet than to wait for page loads and timing out like I’m on a 28k modem or whatever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s my work office so I can’t give it another name.

It’s just so annoying cause even if the 5GHz network is at like 69% strength it’s STILL faster than the bullshit 2.4GHz network it chooses to connect to instead. I honestly would rather not use the internet than to wait for page loads and timing out like I’m on a 28k modem or whatever.

Yeah, unfortunately wireless clients are going to grab what it see as the strong signal. And since you have both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands to pick from, it’s going to grab the 2.4 BSSID 99 times out of a hundred. 2.4GHz has better penetration and better attenuation characteristics than the 5GHz band.

A better question to ask is why the gently caress they use an identical ESSID on both bands? Everywhere else I’ve seen it, it’s usually something like SSID_NAME and SSID_NAME_5. That has the added benefit of being able to remove the 2.4 SSID from your list of “remembered” networks and essentially force your client to use the 5GHz.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can force it onto the channel you want, but it’s not very friendly.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/131852/how-do-you-force-a-5-ghz-wifi-connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A second rMB has hit the Amazon storefront, for $800 this time https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-Dual-Core-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B07H47H7CP

It's too bad the 2016 rMB is unacceptably slow because they are really begging to get rid of those.