Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You're out of your loving mind if you preordered a $2000+ dollar laptop without waiting for reviews

lol if you buy a 2000 dollar poverty spec macbook

gotta get on redit

"just bought highest spec macbookpro guys what should i do with it any recommended softwares"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I really want the 32GB of RAM, but otherwise can’t justify the $4000 or whatever it would be to upgrade my 2016. :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I really want the 32GB of RAM, but otherwise can’t justify the $4000 or whatever it would be to upgrade my 2016. :(

$2799 if you can live with 256GB, $2999 for 512GB

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

$2799 if you can live with 256GB, $2999 for 512GB
I’ve got 2TB now. Can’t go backwards, that would be absurd. :haw:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 20, 2018

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm still sitting on my quad core/512 SSD/16GB 2013 model, I think I'll jump back in when something like 32GB/2TB gets (by Mac purchasing standards) reasonably priced. I'm thinking realistically 2020-21?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Maybe Apple is deliberately making these Intel MBPs lovely so when they come out with their own chip they can say its better while also going to a new working thermal design :tinfoil:

Lmbo, that was the same thing said about the PPC processors.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I like my new laptop

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Over There posted:

I like my new laptop

Do not look at happy fun laptop.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I was going to go whole hog on this new mbp but after the clocking stuff, and the change in how I would be working with my computer ( mostly 100% at desk ). I think I’m gonna grab a refurb iMac Pro and then just keep using my 2012 rMBP ( my current machine ) for mobile until it finally dies.

6 years and still truckin!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm still sitting on my quad core/512 SSD/16GB 2013 model, I think I'll jump back in when something like 32GB/2TB gets (by Mac purchasing standards) reasonably priced. I'm thinking realistically 2020-21?

Same. I’ve always wanted to have an iMac at home and MacBook/iPad Pro for the road but haven’t ever been able to justify the cost or workflow/performance sacrifices yet (I’ve started having to use ID and Photoshop and FIJI a bunch at work/school). But honestly my 2013 MBP’s been such a workhorse, and way more portable than what I used for most of undergrad/the POS Dell I was forced to use as a teacher, that it’s not like I’ve felt much justification beyond the desire for a 5K screen and GAS.

Wonder if Apple’s “modular Mac Pro” is gonna end up on the right side of the design decisions fence, because a true successor to the cheese grater that can take a full size GPU without a thunderbolt box would be the bee’s knees.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I’m confused now with all the throttling not throttling discussion but have we actually confirmed the 13 inch i7 is throttling? I plan on having an egpu setup at home and as long as it won’t throttle in this config I don’t care,

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Lmbo, that was the same thing said about the PPC processors.

That was true though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KingEup posted:

I’m confused now with all the throttling not throttling discussion but have we actually confirmed the 13 inch i7 is throttling? I plan on having an egpu setup at home and as long as it won’t throttle in this config I don’t care,

It’s believed the throttling only happens with intensive GPU usage combined with the CPU, so hopefully the EGPU is a way to avoid that. I’m sure someone will have the answer for sure soon.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

That was true though.

And so will this be.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Can’t wait to buy a quad core 13” refurb in a year or two!!!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Linguica posted:

Can’t wait to buy a quad core 13” refurb in a year or two!!!

Just buy one now you vagrant. :smug:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I've been kinda wanting a new laptop recently, and I've been wanting a Macbook Pro because they really are the nicest laptops, OSX looks great, and my iPad has largely sold me on the Apple experience over janky rear end Android and Windows.

But

God drat these things are even more overpriced than they used to be and it just seems like Apple doesn't give a gently caress about computers, treating them as a vestigial business line while they build up their iOS products.

I'm hoping the new Macbook that's rumoured for this fall is good, because right now as much as I love Apple's touchpads and screens the MBP looks like a joke next to a Thinkpad in terms of actual functionality.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I've been kinda wanting a new laptop recently, and I've been wanting a Macbook Pro because they really are the nicest laptops, OSX looks great, and my iPad has largely sold me on the Apple experience over janky rear end Android and Windows.

But

God drat these things are even more overpriced than they used to be and it just seems like Apple doesn't give a gently caress about computers, treating them as a vestigial business line while they build up their iOS products.

I'm hoping the new Macbook that's rumoured for this fall is good, because right now as much as I love Apple's touchpads and screens the MBP looks like a joke next to a Thinkpad in terms of actual functionality.

Honestly they’re probably the least overpriced that they’ve ever been, minus the whole “no touchscreen and old processors” business, which was partially mitigated (there will never be a touchscreen Mac until the fabled day of iOS/Mac OS unification) last week. The $10k 4TB i9 MBP is a total outlier case like $13k iMac Pros. What do you need compared to the Thinkpad? What’s your use case? If the issue is ports the new MacBook definitely won’t fix that.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
I have a brand new 2018 MacBook Pro 15 inch and I downloaded macOS Mojave. For some reason, brightness is still at full. When I try to adjust it, the bars tick down but brightness does not change. After exiting the brightness adjustment and going back in, it shows the brightness as full again. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I've tried resetting SMC, NVRAM, and PRAM and nothing did the trick. Please help!

eames
May 9, 2009

You're running a beta OS on a brand new device.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ratbert90 posted:

Just buy one now you vagrant. :smug:
Hell no. This 2015 13" rMBP I bought off Craigslist in October 2016 for $600 continues to be the best deal I have ever gotten on anything in my life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Linguica posted:

2015 13" rMBP I bought off Craigslist in October 2016 for $600

:eyepop:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
How long do Apple generally offer OS support for their older devices? I know some of them can't upgrade to the latest OS right? I ask because I'm content with my 2013 rMBP (8GB/256) although wishing I had 16GB/512. I'm planning to put in a 512GB 970 EVO to fix the storage part. Am I likely to be still getting OS upgrades for many a year to come?

eames
May 9, 2009

Unfortunately there’s no clear answer to that question, Apple’s software support timelines fluctuate a lot.
The most likely scenario is that Apple will lock them out when the OS requires T1/T2 arm coprocessors for certain tasks but that is just a random guess.
My feeling is that the 2012-2015 rMBP series has at least 2-3 more years/updates to go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

How long do Apple generally offer OS support for their older devices? I know some of them can't upgrade to the latest OS right? I ask because I'm content with my 2013 rMBP (8GB/256) although wishing I had 16GB/512. I'm planning to put in a 512GB 970 EVO to fix the storage part. Am I likely to be still getting OS upgrades for many a year to come?

You can run the latest OS on the 2010 MacBooks
But it looks like Mojave is going drop support for 2011 and 2010 models. 8 years was a good run. And High Sierra will get updates for security for a good while yet.

As an example, El Capitan just got security updates a month and a half ago and it came out in 2015.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Honestly they’re probably the least overpriced that they’ve ever been, minus the whole “no touchscreen and old processors” business, which was partially mitigated (there will never be a touchscreen Mac until the fabled day of iOS/Mac OS unification) last week.

There have been Macs without much Apple Tax, like the 2012-15 MBP, or even the iMac Pro. The current-gen MBPs aren’t one of those Macs. The current MBPs are $300 more expensive on nearly every config compared to the previous generation, with zero RAM/SSD upgrades for that price bump. You don’t get the latest Apple design and technologies for that price either.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

Sad Panda posted:

..the hardware (2012 Retina MBP) is moving to "vintage" status at the end of this year: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/18/2012-15-inch-rmbp-not-vintage-til-end-of-2018/ , but I don't see how dropping software support for these would make much of a difference, the components in the later models are very similar...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

There have been Macs without much Apple Tax, like the 2012-15 MBP, or even the iMac Pro. The current-gen MBPs aren’t one of those Macs. The current MBPs are $300 more expensive on nearly every config compared to the previous generation, with zero RAM/SSD upgrades for that price bump. You don’t get the latest Apple design and technologies for that price either.

That’s fair, I was mostly basing it on my experience with the 2012-15 generation. Same thing could be said about the 2011-2014 MacBook Airs (the design hasn’t really changed since then but the tech became glaringly stagnant compared to the alternatives).

I think a few years of Intel treading water and Apple cannibalizing the Mac division for iOS development during that time really did a number on their ability to stay competitive. AMD’s return to form gave Intel a shot in the rear end over the last 2 years (thanks in large part to AMD hiring the dude who set the groundwork for Apple’s success in mobile GPUs) and everybody else got on board.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think the refurb store is best shopped ~6 months after an update, when the current generation models end up in the store. Apple has a very straightforward policy around pricing refurbs (15-20% off retail, + more for older models IIRC) so shopping right now would net you a 2017 model with the same price that you’ll probably see 2018 equivalents going for come January.

Many moons ago I worked at an Apple dealer that did a lot of sales in refurb. They often had access on day 1-5 to the newest gear. Apple would take ~50 from inventory for a trade show to show off new tech but use like 20 of them (This probably has something to do with how they're packed on pallets - ie: the whole pallet would be taken out of inventory). All 50 would be classified as refurb at that point - yet 30 of them are unopened (and the used 20 were properly refurbed).

Ask your local (smaller usually are the ones that care) dealers as they know about the local warehouses.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

unknown posted:

Many moons ago I worked at an Apple dealer that did a lot of sales in refurb. They often had access on day 1-5 to the newest gear. Apple would take ~50 from inventory for a trade show to show off new tech but use like 20 of them (This probably has something to do with how they're packed on pallets - ie: the whole pallet would be taken out of inventory). All 50 would be classified as refurb at that point - yet 30 of them are unopened (and the used 20 were properly refurbed).

Ask your local (smaller usually are the ones that care) dealers as they know about the local warehouses.

That’s good to know, I’ll keep that in mind the next time I go Mac shopping. When I said “refurb store” I meant the official one on Apple.com, since that’s where 90+% of your average first time buyers are probably going to be looking.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

eames posted:

Unfortunately there’s no clear answer to that question, Apple’s software support timelines fluctuate a lot.
The most likely scenario is that Apple will lock them out when the OS requires T1/T2 arm coprocessors for certain tasks but that is just a random guess.
My feeling is that the 2012-2015 rMBP series has at least 2-3 more years/updates to go.

If I'm reading that properly, if it's based on the T1/T2 coprocessor then the 2013 rMBP should be supported in the OS until the 2015 does right? By then it might be be 2020-2021 and my 8GB of RAM will be a proper bottleneck and Apple might finally have got rid of the Toucbar option. Or the whole keyboard is touch and who cares.

Thanks to you and the others that replied. It makes me feel better about spending the £150 to get this Evo970 working, although the steps needed to flash it so it supports hibernating seem scary. I might see how bad it is without hibernating for a while.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

If I'm reading that properly, if it's based on the T1/T2 coprocessor then the 2013 rMBP should be supported in the OS until the 2015 does right? By then it might be be 2020-2021 and my 8GB of RAM will be a proper bottleneck and Apple might finally have got rid of the Toucbar option. Or the whole keyboard is touch and who cares.

Apple ain’t getting rid of the touchbar. They’ll come out with a Magic Keyboard that incorporates it with the new Mac Pro and spend 3-5 years iterating on its software implementation until it’s more useful/people grow accustomed to it but it’s really not in their nature to backtrack on a “can’t innovate my rear end” moment unless something clearly better in their minds comes along to replace it. The trash can Pro was kind of an anomaly in that the market largely rejected it to the point that they had to admit it’d been unsuccessful but the MBPs are selling well enough that they can just keep on keeping on.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anybody know how long it takes Apple to replace a battery on a late 2013 macbook pro? Brining it to the store not shipping it in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Anybody know how long it takes Apple to replace a battery on a late 2013 macbook pro? Brining it to the store not shipping it in.

24-48 hours IIRC.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple ain’t getting rid of the touchbar. They’ll come out with a Magic Keyboard that incorporates it with the new Mac Pro and spend 3-5 years iterating on its software implementation until it’s more useful/people grow accustomed to it but it’s really not in their nature to backtrack on a “can’t innovate my rear end” moment unless something clearly better in their minds comes along to replace it. The trash can Pro was kind of an anomaly in that the market largely rejected it to the point that they had to admit it’d been unsuccessful but the MBPs are selling well enough that they can just keep on keeping on.

MagSafe

:rip:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

magiccarpet posted:

I just took this exact model in a couple months ago (well, rMBP, so not this exact model at all and maybe that changes everything).

To a proper Apple Store, in a major US city. I was heading on a 5-6 day vacation that night and use it for work so I took the opportunity to take it in even though the battery wasn't totally shot (though still like 1050 cycles) because I didn't know the next time I'd be able to be away from it that long without impacting work. I told them all of this, so maybe that de-prioritized it, but they took a full 6 or 7 days to get it back, including shipping it to a repair depot in Texas to give it a new top case that I didn't ask for. Very happy with my brand new keyboard/touchpad/battery/rubber feet, but it really wasn't quick.

They did provide FedEx tracking so I could see where it was in the process the whole time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple ain’t getting rid of the touchbar. They’ll come out with a Magic Keyboard that incorporates it with the new Mac Pro

I really expected them to roll this out with the iMac Pro. I was disappointed they didn’t, because I wanted to be contrarian and buy an external keyboard with it. It’s the only thing I like about my 2017 MBP, now that some of the apps I use have done decent integrations with it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Charging via USB-C is better in their minds.

E: And it is, in many ways. It frees us from depending on their fragile-rear end charging cables.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One thing that really irritates me about the stupid touchbar is that in messages it does the predictive text which can be handy if I am loving up a word but it doesn't do it in any other loving application (whatsapp discord ect) I mean am I missing something or why doesn't it do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

One thing that really irritates me about the stupid touchbar is that in messages it does the predictive text which can be handy if I am loving up a word but it doesn't do it in any other loving application (whatsapp discord ect) I mean am I missing something or why doesn't it do it?

Go yell at the devs of WhatsApp and discord.