Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm looking for a machine that can develop iPhone apps. What is the cheapest machine that can do this? I have zero mac experience :(, so hopefully you guys have a bit more knowledge about this than I do. I've been looking around and it seems the Mac Mini is the cheapest new/refurb option. Does anyone know how many model-years I can go back and still be able to run the xcode software? Price and the ability to run the iPhone/iPad app software are the only things I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So 2 weeks ago I bought a new Mac Mini, which has been great. I upgraded to 8GB RAM and it flies. Anyway I'm trying to set up Skype, and my microphone headset doesn't seem to be working. I've got this thing from like 4 years ago: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-HS-800-Fatal1ty-Gaming-Headset/dp/B002DS4HTM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330905149&sr=1-1

My gaming days are gone, but I still Skype with people and use the headset as a microphone. It's not USB, it has the 2 3.5mm jacks. I've plugged them into the back of the Mini, but the microphone does not work. Has anyone else had issues with using analog headsets? Google tells me it might be having problems because it wasn't outputting the signal with enough power for the computer to detect it(?)

I've checked the sound settings and everything looks okay (nothing is muted, etc), but it hears nothing :(

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Hm, interesting. I don't particularly like the headset, I just was trying to avoid spending more money on this thing. Do you guys know if the iPhone headset (the one with the microphone) works as a microphone on macs? I've never even opened the headphones that came with my iPhone. Either way, I'll test it out when I get home in 2 hours, I was just curious if any of you guys have tried it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The iPhone mic & buttons work on my 2011 Mini, so you should be set.

I tried using my iPhone headphones with my Mini, and it works, kinda. If I plug the headset into the "audio out" plug, everything works fine (including the mic), and the headset shows up in the sound settings. When I plug the mic into the "audio in", nothing shows up in the settings and the mic does not work. I'd like to do it this way, since I want to leave my desk speakers plugged into the "audio out" plug and the headset plugged into the "audio in", as if it were just a standalone microphone.

I guess I'm just wasting my time with this... I should either get a real mic or just deal with having to unplug a thing and plug in a thing each time I want to skype...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

japtor posted:

Before you go buying other hardware, did you try raising the input gain in the system sound prefs?

Yep. I played with all the settings. It's not going to work. I think I might get an $9 USB to 3.5mm adapter and plug it into the usb slot on my keyboard.

It looks like it works pretty well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kuskus posted:

Synergy. No cables required, just existing LAN.

Not to derail here, but I could never get the keyboard to work right on my PC. The keyboard/mouse are connected to the Mac, and the when I type on the PC, most of the buttons like the alt and ctrl keys don't work. The documentation and support for synergy is totally lacking and I eventually just gave up.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Well, now that none of my computers have disk drives, of course I run into a problem that requires the use of discs!

Do any of you have any opinions on external disk drives? I was thinking about going for an external blu ray drive, since those are ~the future~ anyway. Thoughts?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm currently using a mac-mini with dual 23 inch monitors. I wonder what are the odds of a new Macbook Pro with dual-monitor support. If they really are getting rid of the Mac Pro, they'll need SOME kind of support for multiple monitors for professionals. Thunderbolt should be able to do this, no?

My spreadsheets :smith:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Digital_Jesus posted:

Because the second monitor will totally make up for not being able to wire on to a lan.

Edit: Hell at this rate apple will probably just remove Firewire/USB/Displayport/Ethernet/Wireless and include 7 thunderbolt ports so you have to get two adapters for your monitor, an adapter for your USB, one for ethernet, and your Apple Brand Wireless Thunderbolt Dongle!

Maybe not, but having 2 thunderbolt ports will certainly have its use-cases.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I don't really know much about the technical aspects of the retina display in the new MBPR, but is it feasible that Apple could bring such a display to the Air any time soon? I really like the form factor of the air and from the reviews of the 15in MBPR, the display is a game-changer. Would the Air run poorly with 4x the pixels and integrated graphics? (I know it's speculation, but I'm trying to convince myself to wait for the retina MBAs if they're ever going to come).

I've also heard rumors of the MBPR 13in shipping in the fall, which would probably be the best solution for me. I'm looking for something to replace my desktop/laptop combo, but I also would like to keep the size down to 13in. A 13in MBPR with 2 thunderbolt ports and a sub-$2000 price would be a dream come true...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I don't really know much about the technical aspects of the retina display in the new MBPR, but is it feasible that Apple could bring such a display to the Air any time soon? I really like the form factor of the air and from the reviews of the 15in MBPR, the display is a game-changer. Would the Air run poorly with 4x the pixels and integrated graphics? (I know it's speculation, but I'm trying to convince myself to wait for the retina MBAs if they're ever going to come).

I've also heard rumors of the MBPR 13in shipping in the fall, which would probably be the best solution for me. I'm looking for something to replace my desktop/laptop combo, but I also would like to keep the size down to 13in. A 13in MBPR with 2 thunderbolt ports and a sub-$2000 price would be a dream come true...
I went to see the retina MacBook after I posted all these words. Holy poo poo once I saw the display I couldn't unsee it. The dock just looks so crisp, it made the 13in air look blurry. Same thing with the new iPad vs the iPad 2. Its pretty hilarious how bad non-retina images look though. I opened up numbers and all the built-in images looked terrible. Definitely going to wait for the 13in MBPR. The display is amazing and hopefully by October everything will be properly optimized, and the first-gen issues will be ironed out (if there are any?)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Rumors have it that Apple will be launching a 13in Retina Macbook Pro sometime in the Fall. They say it will have integrated graphics. Can someone who understands these things a little better than I do shed some light on how well an integrated graphics chip will be able to push so many pixels? Tech blogs seem to indicate the HD4000 is a big jump over the HD3000, so maybe games would be possible? I really only play Civ5. I just think the 15in is too big for me.

I had a Mac Mini running an HD3000 integrated graphics chip and was able to do two 1900x1200 monitors (4.56m pixels) under normal conditions easily, though games were a no-go. A retina 13in screen, if they use the Air's 13in resolution of 1440x900 but make it retina, would have 5.18m pixels. Without any technical knowledge of how these integrated GPUs work, it seems like the difference of .5m pixels shouldn't be too big of a deal. Someone with some technical knowledge please shed some light~

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

japtor posted:

A Fall introduction seems...optimistic? Not so much that it wouldn't be possible, just strange timing so soon after refreshing the whole MB line and introducing the 15" retina MBP, not to mention likely being crammed in the timeframe with new iMacs, Mac minis, Mountain Lion, and (biggest of all) new iPhone (and iPods I guess). It seems like if they were going to do it any time soon it would've been announced with the rest.

As for running it with the HD4000, keep in mind the MBP 13" is 1280x800, so I could see them going with 2560x1600 (like they went with doubling 1440x900 for the 15" rather than the higher res option), e;fb here :downs:. It'd be like running the 27" displays (just in HiDPI mode), should be fine for normal use, crappy for games unless you drop down to 1280x800 or whatever.

Eh, yeah. I'm looking for a computer that can replace both my desktop and laptop. The 15in is too big for me, so I've been doing a lot of searching for rumors about the 13in. Maybe it's a bit optimistic to hope for October, and even if they do release one in October, it's getting closer to the spring/late Q2 release of the next intel chip architecture. Haswell is supposed to be another massive jump in graphics performance. Maybe it's best to wait either way.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

GPU performance scaling doesn't directly line up with the number of pixels rendered for all workloads. For just rendering a desktop, you'd have to go way over 5 megapixels to have any performance issues. People (even ITT, I think) have run an MBPR with two Thunderbolt displays (~12.5 megapixels) with no change in user experience.

Where the MBPR is somewhat infamously cocking up is that the scaling options for non-native resolution involve an Apple-custom scaling algorithm that runs on the CPU. Native GPU-based scaling wasn't high enough quality for them, and for whatever reason they didn't implement the custom scaling as a GPGPU program.

Gaming is another story. Game scenes are much more difficult to render than a desktop, because you have a lot more going on that requires processing. Long story short, with modern games, HD 4000 is indeed a huge upgrade from HD 3000, but it's still a low-end, low-resolution, low-detail gaming GPU. It's just too limited in execution resources and memory bandwidth to shuffle around a modern video game's large amounts of textures and geometry. Even the GeForce 650M is decidedly midrange. On a 1920x screen, Thunderbolt display, or Retina screen, you will always have to pick a smaller-than-native resolution and/or lower details to rock bottom in order to play with acceptable framerates.

So basically, gameplay on an HD4000 or GeForce 650M is going to be less-than-ideal either way? If games are totally out the window even on a pro machine, what's the real difference between a 13in MBPR and a 13in Air (assuming both are made retina)? Seems like they both would have the same limitations and uses. Maybe that's why they didn't release a 13in MBPR, since they're basically the same machine once you remove the platter HD and the disk drive.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Well, I'm leaning towards saying no it doesn't really matter. They'd probably make the 13in Air and 13in MBPR the same device. Which lends credence to the notion that there won't be a 13in retina device until this time next year, because they just refreshed the 13in Air. :(

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Is it going to cost $400 more than the current Pro like the 15" does?

Economies of scale in retina screen production is yet another reason we probably won't see the 13inch retina until next year. Presumably they'll be able to get these things into the normal Air pricing range (or maybe as a $100-200 hi-res add-on).

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So I just bought a new Macbook Air and I am very, very impressed by this little machine. The gestures make it so much easier to use than a windows laptop, I don't know why Apple doesn't hammer those things home in their ads. The concept of window management is pretty much useless to me, since with 2 flicks I can go from using one app taking up the entire screen to another app. Of all the things I thought I'd like most about this thing, I can't believe it's the trackpad...

One minor gripe: clicking on the trackpad makes a pretty loud noise when I'm on skype/facetime. It seems to annoy the hell out of people I'm videochatting with. I've just enabled one-touch to click in the trackpad settings so it's not a major issue but just annoying.

moon demon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 1, 2012

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

The trackpad click being loud is the one bad thing about the trackpad, imo.

Otherwise, I agree with you. The MacBook XYZ is the one kind of computer I can take with me and not be crippled without an external mouse, not counting, by and large, gaming.

Exactly. I don't have to bring a BT mouse like I used to. And the clicking really didn't bother me at all when I was getting used to it, it only bothers people when I'm videochatting. The actual noise isn't that loud, but I guess it's really amplified by the mic. Maybe it's because the metal body is so small, there's very little room for the click impact to dissipate? Judging by the results of my google search on the subject, it seems people with the thicker MBPs don't notice it as much. I don't know...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Makes perfect sense.
How? A new 13" retina MBP is just a retina 13" MacBook Air, which they just refreshed...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

carry on then posted:

No, a 13" Retina would be 2560x1600. Might even come with discrete graphics since there'd be no optical drive.
My point was that the features that differentiate the pro and air lines (the optical drive, more HDD space, better screen) would all be blended together into what is essentially a super 13in MacBook Air. The pro might be slightly higher speced and more expensive, but IMO the use cases are pretty much the same at that point.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Pissingintowind posted:

I have a new Macbook Air, and I want to pass audio and video from it to my TV.

Won't Apple TV + Mountain Lion airplay mirroring do this? I was under the impression that the TV would mirror the audio+video once this is all set up.

(obviously this is a far more expensive option, I'm just curious for my own setup)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

bulbous nub posted:

Yes, this is correct. I've been playing with it on the GM for the past couple of days and it works well albeit with a little delay. If you've done AirPlay mirroring from an iPad or iPhone, it's the same basic concept.

How does it work if the tv and source are different resolutions? It pisses me off that there's big black bars on my tv when I'm mirroring from the iPad. Also, what do you mean by delay? Would it work to play a movie from my Air to the TV? I'll take it gaming is totally out of the question of course.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Cool man, thanks for the details! I'm looking forward to ML :3:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Doesn't the rmbp start at $2k for students? Just get that.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Spam Forest posted:

It does start at 2k, unless you count AppleCare.

And I'd want AppleCare because the rmbp seems like a gamble right now. The screen ghosting, jerky scrolling, and soldered parts make me nervous. It sounds like a great machine, but I don't want to buy the beta version.
Precisely why I bought an air until the next gen comes out. The air is a great machine and should not be overlooked. It's probably not powerful enough for intensive software, but for portability it's amazing. I'll be buying the retina airs when they come out.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

ufarn posted:

Oh God, someone on reddit has created a help thread to ask for guidance on what to do when you spill lube into the keyboard of your rMBP.

I am almost crying with laughter. If someone has any advice for the guy, help a guy out.

It's you, isn't it? You spilled the lube.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Oh no, they're not immediately updating their massive creative suite for your first generation high-end laptop?! A few months until an update? Definitely getting hosed here.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Pro:
'Better' screen
optical drive
Firewire
Gigabit ethernet
Slightly longer battery life
Faster CPU performance (higher base and turbo clocks)
Upgradeable to 16GB RAM
Upgradeable to DUAL hard drives

Air:
Less-glossy screen
Higher-resolution screen
Thinner
Lighter
SSD from the factory
- Can't upgrade RAM, limited SSD upgrades

Many people think for that much of a size increase there should be a quad-core and discrete graphics card. And many people think the Pro should be at least available BTO with the 1440x900 screen.

This should be in the OP. I get asked by friends/family which one to buy all the time.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Do y'all think 4GB is going to be much of a limitation in the next few years? My sister wants a new MacBook and she'd like it to last at least 3-4 years. But she keeps a bazillion apps and chrome tabs open at all times and I'm concerned that 4GB would barely cut it today and when the next 2-3 iterations of OSX come out it will probably be a big issue. Given that you can't replace the ram on these things, I wonder if this will be a problem.

She's looking at the 13 inch air and the 13 inch retina MacBooks through the refurb store (which can't be customized as far as I know).

Thoughts?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Is the 13 inch retina MacBook worth the cash over the air? I recall hearing about performance issues and I'm worried about the lack of the Kensington lock (on both machines actually). Is there a way to physically lock these devices down? I'm considering getting the 13 inch MacBook Pro and upgrading the ram myself but at that point it's almost the same price as the refurb retina version, with the main concern being the lock.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Boatswain posted:

I could kick your rear end, bro.

:stonk:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Yesterday I picked up a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, non-retina with the 2.5 ghz i5 and 4GB RAM. I used Migration Assistant to move everything from my Time Machine backup from my 11" Macbook Air.

Maybe I'm just used to the SSD in the Air but it seems like a lot of things beachball for me when they really shouldn't considering how much more horsepower this computer has versus my Air.

Did I do something wrong by using Migration Assistant to move everything over? I'm running a permissions verify on the hard drive right now to see if that helps, but what other things can I try? Already ran Onyx.

It's the ssd. Put an ssd in it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

A bit of a tangent, but is Apple required by law to extend these warranties when the parts are disfunctional? I never see any other tech company issuing these kinds of extended warranties. The only other industry where you hear about massive recalls is the auto industry. Maybe other computer companies do it but you only hear about apple because they're so high profile...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Not everyone does their research/is informed.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I have a 2012 11inch Air with the 128GB Toshiba SSD and LG display. Never had a single issue with either. Holy poo poo, I finally got lucky with a purchase!

*knocks on wood*

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I currently have an 11in 2012 Air (128GB, 4GB) and while I love the thing, it's getting to the point where I need more screen real estate, more storage and more RAM. I work in finance and need to be able to do some good ol spreadsheetin' while away from work. I currently am running a VM with Excel, which is less than optimal but I simply don't have enough storage to have a bootcamp partition, which would make better use of my limited RAM.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to run essentially 3 "desktops": 1 mac desktop with my personal stuff on it (I prefer OSX for non-work stuff), 1 remote desktop into my work computer (to retrieve files as needed), and 1 VM running windows where I can actually do excel, outlook, etc. Alternatively, I'd just bootcamp into windows and run the RDP and all my office stuff on that. I think a 256GB SSD should be enough for that.

So that brings me to which laptop to buy. I still have an edu email so I could use the education discount and get the $100 gift card (which is as good as cash to me because I'll probably buy $100 in accessories either way). Here are the options:

13in Refurb (Late 2013) ($1270): http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/FE865LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5
13in New (Late 2013) ($1400, with $100 gift card): http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME865LL/A&step=config
15in Refurb (Early 2013) ($1660): http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/FE664LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macBook-Pro-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display
15in Refurb (Late 2013) ($1660): http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/FE293LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

I have a few questions:
1) Is the 13in enough screen real estate for you excel gurus? I've been making do with an 11in, so anything will be an upgrade...
2) Can this run Civ5? That's pretty much the only game I plan on playing on this thing and I want it to run it well enough in Bootcamp.
3) If the best choice is the 15in, should I get the Early or Late 2013 version? They're both the same price, but the Early-2013 version has the Nvidia GPU, which could be good for Civ5 but presumably would hurt battery life?

Frankly I'm leaning towards the 15in in terms of functionality due to the graphics and screen size, but the 13in is so much cheaper and presumably could do everything I need it to do.

[tell] me what to buy

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Is there anyone with a Late-2013 13in RMBP who can try running civ5?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

ShadeofBlue posted:

What's your threshold for being happy with how it runs? I can play it on my 2009 C2D MacBook Pro, at lowest settings, but it's a bit laggy. I'd be surprised if a 2013 laptop couldn't run it in a way that was acceptable for most people.

Medium settings without lag would be ideal. On my Air it's laggy with low settings, which makes me not want to play it due to the lag. I'd be OK with no lag on low settings, but if the "Iris Pro" graphics in the 15in are really that much better than the regular "Iris" graphics in the 13in, I might be convinced (along with the other factors like the screen size).

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for your help with my excel and civ5 antics dudes. I ended up with a 13in MBPR.

I went to the store and the 15in seemed a little too big to use in meetings where I have to actually talk to people while using the computer. The 13in is wonderfully sized and it turns out my eyesight is quite good, so I really love the scaled resolutions. I find the 2nd-highest resolution to be perfect in OSX for my personal computing and the highest resolution is wonderful for excel in windows. High res Excel 2013 in windows 8 really is beautiful compared to mac office 2011 on an 11in screen. The screen real estate is really what sealed the deal over my 11in Air, though the storage, RAM, and processor are certainly upgrades.

I haven't tried civ5 yet, I've been installing things all day trying to get windows 8 working in boot camp and parallels. The store model actually had civ5 installed (!?) and it ran fine so I assume I'll have no issues, especially in boot camp.

Altogether pretty pleased with the purchase so far. Now what to do with that $100 gift card...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

still crankin with my 2015 MBP. I think the GPU is starting to fail tho, every now and then the screen turns into this trippy rainbow pattern for a few seconds, then goes back to normal