Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

The new MBA’s optional 1.8 Ghz i7 turbo boosts up to 2.9 Ghz on a single core and 2.6 Ghz when both cores are utilized.

First benchmarks are popping up and they are… impressive.

(picture by macrumors, reposted)

//edit: ok, those scores look just plain wrong. I assume they are using a test that factors in SSD performance and the 2010 17" MBP is running a 7200 rpm HDD.

eames fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Interesting...I guess there's really not that much of a difference between the i5 and i7 in the Mini. Both have VT extensions, both have hyperthreading. I run into processor issues often on my 2.26 C2D Macbook Pro, but I guess the difference between the i5 and i7 compared to what I have really isn't going to be that big of a deal.

I wonder how much of that is on disk speed, and what it'd look like if the MBP also had an SSD.

Yeah, I just realized that. For a second I thought it’s a pure CPU benchmark but that wouldn’t make any sense at all looking at the scores and CPUs. :downs:

eames
May 9, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Or can we get a list going or link perhaps to a list of SSDs that are TRIM supported in Lion, since I'm guessing SSD usage will only increase with time.

I’m guessing SSD Trim enabler will be updated soon which should make the whole third-party TRIM SSD drama around Lion a non-issue. Hopefully.

eames
May 9, 2009

CommanderApaul posted:

The new ones will probably be much better, it's not so much GPU limited as HDD/CPU/RAM limited.

Huh, what? I was under the impression that the 1.2 Ghz HD3000 is slower than the old 320m. Not much, but still slower.
Relevant review/benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/19

Either way, the air should be fine for playing WoW as long as you keep the settings low and don’t load a gazillion add ons.

eames
May 9, 2009

quote:

Imagine using your thin and light laptop PC during the day on the job, at school, or at the local café then arriving home, or dorm room, plugging it into your ViDock and firing up your latest PC game on a large format monitor. Just plug in one cable into your laptop PC and you instantly have a powerful 3D workstation with a big display, a big keyboard and your pointing device of choice. You are ready for gaming, video transcoding, photoshop, 3D design, watching full 1080p HD movies, and more!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/external-thunderbolt-pci-expansion-chassis-and-hub-in-development/

This could be amazing, external graphics cards for notebooks are inching closer thanks to Thunderbolt.

eames
May 9, 2009

Received my 13" i7 256GB MBA today, upgrading from the previous 13" C2D 2.13 256GB model.

Differences so far:
  • Display looks much better to me, the "banding" issue that looked like dithering seems completely gone. I assume the new MBA has new panels?
  • SSD is a lot faster in synthetic benchmarks. 246.0/263.4 MB/s average, 264.9/280.4 MB/s peak in the AJA system test at 4GB/1080p/10bit.
  • I never realized how much I missed the background lighting until now that I have it back.
  • The A,S,D,E and R keys have a certain feeling of stickiness to them that shouldn’t be there and makes me miss these letters while typing. Not sure where this is from since the device is brand new.
  • The i7 or faster SSD isn’t really noticeable in everyday use, except maybe 1080p youtube videos. 8GB RAM would have been nice to have.

eames
May 9, 2009

MSI displayed their external thunderbolt graphics enclosure at CES using a MBP. Windows-only, although most consumers would want to use this under Bootcamp to play games anyway. Supports cards up to 150W according to the picture. I’d love to buy this and a 6770 to play games like Skyrim on my i7 Air.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5352/msis-gus-ii-external-gpu-via-thunderbolt

eames
May 9, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Serious question, what good does a retina display on my MBP do for me if I'm not a photographer, graphics designer, or video editor?

See one in person, come back and reconsider if you still want this question answered. :downs:

eames
May 9, 2009

Sulk posted:

The Ivy Bridge processors aren't supposed to be that much more powerful than the Sandy Bridge series, right? I'm still debating selling my current 13" Air and upgrading to the new model, mostly for the BTO 8 gigs of RAM, but I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

Not really worth it. The spec bump is relatively small and you already have Thunderbolt, so USB3 is no big deal either.
In my opinion it can’t be too long until the Air gets a retina display and a dedicated graphic chip.
13" @ 2560x1440 would be around 225 ppi, the new Pro has 220. :dance:

eames
May 9, 2009

My late 2010 C2D MBA won't turn on anymore after it completely ran out of battery earlier today.

The light on the MagSafe connector is amber after 5h of charging, I've tried two different chargers without success.
I also tried resetting the SMC and PMC, no dice. The machine stays off when the power button is pressed.
Is there anything else I should try before opening the case in an attempt to temporarily disconnect the battery?

(this is my dev machine running 10.8 12A269 but it seems like a hardware issue.)

eames
May 9, 2009

Does the rMBP have a Kensington lock slot?
I don't see it mentioned anywhere but surely Apple would not design such a laptop without a way to physically secure it from "walk by" thefts.

eames
May 9, 2009

I ordered a CTO rMBP last week and figure it will be assembled within the next few days.
What worries me the most are the ghosting/image retention issues.
Someone on arstechnica mentioned that it only affected the very first batch of rMBPs and the QC issue is completely fixed now. It would be nice to hear from rMBP owners with this issue and how they solved it.

AFAIK Apple doesn’t do direct replacements for CTO items and that worries me (even though my machine has not arrived yet).

eames
May 9, 2009

tuna posted:

Scrolling is also only really bad on Facebook here too. Although after my update to ML, switching spaces is now sort of a slide show whereas it was milky smooth in Lion.

I read something about this on the Apple Forums since I’m awaiting my rMBP.

Try to right click your download folder in the Dock and set "Display as" from "Stack" to "Folder". Repeat that for all other "Stack" folders you may have in your Dock. Apparently that speeds things up a lot. :shrug:

eames
May 9, 2009

I cleaned my MBA (not screen) with a damp cloth that had some diluted Isoproyl Alcohol on it.

The Macbook is now clean, but the T-Y-U-I-O-P buttons don’t work anymore. Yay. It’s also out of warranty as of last week. Is there a trick to make it work again?

eames
May 9, 2009

printf posted:

Nope! You're hosed. You've dissolved some internal rubber and wire insulation and stuff if you're unlucky; at best you've dissolved part of your keyboard. I did this to a Macbook Pro a few months back. It died a similar death. Back up your data and buy a new computer!

Took it to the Apple Store and they wouldn’t replace it.
I ordered an identical 2012 model (13"/4GB/256GB) over night because I didn’t want to wait for a BTO model and this machine will be replaced by the Haswell rMBP anyway.

After pressing the Power-button it took me less than a second to figure out that there’s something wrong with the display. It looks pretty terrible with a strong blue-tint. Blacks aren’t as deep and the color looks less vibrant.

As it turns out this one has a LG display whereas my two old models (2010/2011) have a Samsung. I calibrated the screen with Spyder 4 and the difference is much less noticeable now, but side to side, this calibrated 2012 screen still looks worse than my calibrated 2011.
Text looks sharp and black on the Samsung and somewhat grey/washed out on the LG, but I’m sure a person that has never used a Samsung-MBA before wouldn’t notice.
I’m not sure if Amazon would replace it. Probably not. Sucks.

eames fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 29, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

Heisenberg1276 posted:

mbp - if the fourth one has the same issue then I'm giving up and getting an air.

Good luck, both LG and Samsung build screens for the MBA. I’ll leave it to you to guess which one has visibly better contrast and black levels.

I’ve returned my second 2012 13" now because both of my old (2011 and 2010) MBAs had Samsung screens and so the LG screens just look like s*** to me, even after calibrating with a Spyder.

From Anandtech’s review:

quote:

I had some friends over and tossed them a pair of 13-inch MBAs. One had the LG panel and one had the Samsung panel. They used the MBAs and swapped after a short while. Almost instantaneously they could tell the difference between the panels. Everyone significantly favored the Samsung.

I was actually a bit surprised how quickly they noticed the difference. With these type of things I always assume I'm just more sensitive than most, but in this case the difference was noticeable enough to pick out. Everyone added (and I agreed) that the difference was most pronounced because they were able to switch between two. In a vacuum each one seemed fine.

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anybody in this thread happen to have some experience with the OWC Envoy?

My 2011 MBA is out of warranty and would require a new logic board (not worth it) but the 256 GB SSD still works fine.

That OWC housing looks like a great way to recycle the SSD with my new 2012 MBA, unless the performance of the USB 3.0 controller is really terrible. I just can’t find a single benchmark of it online. :(

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

Does anybody in this thread happen to have some experience with the OWC Envoy?

My 2011 MBA is out of warranty and would require a new logic board (not worth it) but the 256 GB SSD still works fine.

That OWC housing looks like a great way to recycle the SSD with my new 2012 MBA, unless the performance of the USB 3.0 controller is really terrible. I just can’t find a single benchmark of it online. :(

To answer my own question, my OWC Envoy enclosure arrived today and I put the 2010 MBA’s old Toshiba drive in it.

Not blazing fast, but I can’t complain since it only cost me €40 to build this 256GB USB 3.0 SSD.

I didn’t realise that USB does not support TRIM, so I am pretty happy that the 2010 MBA SSD still relied on Garbage Collection since Snow Leopard had no TRIM support either.

eames
May 9, 2009

On the topic of MBA temperatures, I have to say that my 2012 13" gets much hotter than my old 2011 13" when playing games on OS X.

The area around the WASD keys gets hot enough to be quite uncomfortable while playing Portal 2. The CPU temperature never goes beyond 85°C so I doubt it’s a thermal paste problem.

Both machines are 100% silent and cool while idling/websurfing (without flash).

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

The 13" rMBP is basically an Air...with a retina screen.

In some ways it is (it’s a lot smaller compared to the old MBP), in some ways it isn’t (the weight difference is still there while traveling and it’s not wedged to be almost flush with the desk like the MBA is).

To me the 13" rMBP would be a very desirable machine if it had a GPU in the 650m range, but now that Intel is focused on closing the inegrated GPU performance gap with every iteration, I don’t think we'll ever see dedicated GPUs in the 13" anytime soon.

It’s quite absurd that right now the MBA offers a noticeably more fluid and snappy™ user experience than the flagship rMBP.

As for rMBA speculation, we’ll probably see IGZO screens appear in products next year.
The improvements in power consumption pave the way for a rMBA. I would also expect the rMBA battery life improve to at least 8-9 hours then.

Although thinking about it, the iPad mini is probably going to be the first one to get the IGZO update.

eames
May 9, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are these Haswell chips suppose to be super great? I want to replace my 2010 era 13" MBP with a new 13" MBA, but I don't need to and can wait another half year for the new ones. The way I see it, I think the current era MBA is already more powerful than my MBP, and my MBP is still doing great, but I like new and shiny things.

Current desktop leaks, rumors and speculations point at a 10% CPU (IPC) increase and a decent 20-50% GPU performance increase at the same TDP.
Clockspeed will apparently stay the same, give or take a 0.1 Ghz increase for marketing reasons.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2288819

I expected Haswell to bring much larger increases than that. The improved powerful iGPU is a very nice thing for gamers and the 13" rMBP, but it seems to take up a large part of the thermal envelope so that the CPU performance difference between Ivy Bridge and Haswell is shaping up to be moderate at best.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yeah but we have reached a point where CPU speeds aren't really holding anyone back any more.

I agree and I’m ready for a ridiculously thin ARM Macbook Air running OS X. It could double as an iPad with a flippable the screen, like the Lenovo Yoga or Dell XPS 12

(yes, it probably won’t happen anytime soon)

eames
May 9, 2009

echobucket posted:

I got my 2012 mac mini in and I've set it up to be a headless server (actually it' hanging off the back of my iMac so I can go into Target Display mode in case I need to get to the actual UI) .

I've mostly been using Screen sharing from the iMac and my MBP to control it, however, occasionally the screensharing will get all kinds of visual artifacts, like black squares or corrupted video. I can usually drag a Finder window around and get it to "Repaint" those areas, but this is pretty annoying. If I connect an actual monitor then the video looks fine on the real monitor, it's just messed up over screensharing.

Anyone else experienced this? Is this a hardware problem or a bug?

I am experiencing the same issue on my headless Mac Mini (2010 or 2011).
I haven’t found a way to get around this, although I often use Splashtop on my iPad which is much more responsive than the OS X VNC client.
By that I mean that Splashtop fast enough to play games and movies at decent framerates when I’m in the local lan. Why they haven’t released an OS X client for it is beyond me.

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Coming from an Air, the screen of the rMBP is annoyingly glossy.

loving sun + huge windows. I'm facing the window because if the sun is behind you, you can't see poo poo and now the sun bounces off me and that's all I see in the reflection on the screen.

Seconded, I even traded in my 13" rMBP for a 13" Air because of this. The Retina display is clearly superior in many ways, but I found that I just can’t live with a glossy display after checking the matte option every single time in the past.

I wonder if we will ever see a return of the matte displays, probably not due to the way the displays are built now. I’m sure the future rMBA will be glossy only too. :(

eames
May 9, 2009

I just checked my local store, looks like the high-end 15" rMBP would now cost 150€ less despite the +0.1 Ghz and +8 GB RAM.

Decent, but I can’t help but wonder if this is an indication for a delayed Haswell rollout in late Q3 or even Q4.

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anybody have some insight on whether or not the new Macbook lineup will support 802.11ac? Rumors, related chipset launches, anything?

I’m pretty happy with my ~computing experience~, but my real world 802.11n WiFi throughput is roughly half of what my WAN could do.
I feel like WiFi is one last remaining bottleneck for me now that SSDs are mainstream. Of course faster is always better, but give me 1 Gbit/s actual WiFI throughput and l’d be happy for a few years…

eames
May 9, 2009

WWDC: the cube turned out to be a tube

eames
May 9, 2009

too easy?

https://twitter.com/_sa_sa__kama_/status/344152598846246913/photo/1

eames
May 9, 2009

So apparently Semiaccurate has some hints on the new MBP GPU but the articles are behind a paywall. Does anybody here happen to have a subscription?
($1000/year, are they serious?)

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/04/28/and-the-gpu-in-the-haswell-macbook-pro-is/
https://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/12/apple-pushes-performance-boundaries-with-the-new-macbook/

eames
May 9, 2009

I wish Apple would just resurrect the glorious 17" Powerbook as a $4k desktop replacement for professionals. With a 4k display and a monster 60W mobile GPU.

Another whole generation with (roughly) the same graphic performance as the first generation retina is going to be annoying (despite OS/software/driver optimisations) and I really don’t care about more than 3 hours of battery life.

eames
May 9, 2009

mediaphage posted:

I don't see how they'd get away with that if they were ridding themselves of a dGPU in the 15-inch rMBP. Maybe in the 13-inch.

As long as the 2D performance (retina facebook scrolling, etc) is improved over the old dGPU, they will sell it as an upgrade. Apple doesn’t seem to care much about high performance in 3D applications their mobile computers and they have "downgraded" GPU performance in a refresh before. (although I can’t recall when that was)

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anybody happen to know if the 2012 Macbook Air can be used with the larger battery from the 2013?

My battery is now below 50% capacity an it is time to replace it.
The new 2013 MBA has a battery with a "carrier" and connector that appears to be identical to the old one.
It has a nominal voltage of 7.6 V instead of 7.3 V, but a ~4% increase doesn’t seem like a huge difference considering the voltage of Li-ion batteries fluctuates depending on their state of charge. The capacity would be higher too (7150 vs 6700 mAh) which would be nice for that extra half an hour of battery life or so.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

What, you bought a 2013 MBA battery thinking it'll work fine in a 2012 MBA?

Please feel free to tell us the results, but if you take it to a Fruit Stand and ask them to put in a 2013 MBA battery into a 2012, I am very sure they won't do that.

No, I am about to buy a 2013 MBA battery hoping it will work fine in my 2012. The batteries aren’t hard to replace, I have the screwdrivers and the warranty is no problem since I didn’t buy Applecare for such a relatively cheap device.

Some comments on ifixit indicate it works fine:

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/131665/Will+the+A1496+batery+fit+in+Mid+2011+MacBook+Air

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW, I replaced the battery of my 2012 13" MBA with the newer, larger 2013 battery (A1496 instead of A1405) it is a success so far, 5 cycles in.

It should give me slightly longer runtime at no additional cost. My old battery pretty much "died" around 515 cycles, it had 38% maximum capacity left at that point. The nominal voltage of the new battery is 0.3V higher than the old one, but since the battery voltage rises and falls depending on the level of charge, I don’t think this will be an issue.

I do wonder what happened to the "80% at 1000 cycles" claim mentioned here.

quote:

Your new Apple notebook features advanced battery chemistry that greatly extends the battery’s lifespan. The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity. In addition, Adaptive Charging reduces the wear and tear on the battery giving it a lifespan of up to 5 years.

versus this data:

http://online.coconut-flavour.com/index.php?modeltype=MacBookAir5,2&type=loadcycles

eames fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 15, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder if the firmware of your 2012 has the battery capacity hardcoded at all.

In theory its possible that the final cutoff voltage for the new 2013 battery is also 0.3V higher and thus a complete discharge could be worse for this battery than the old one, but I try to avoid running the machine down to below 5%.

System Report does show the correct maximum capacity. I did a full SMC and NVRAM reset right after replacing the battery, then charged it to full and let it run down to zero for calibration purposes.
Not sure if that was a smart idea as that single deep discharge seems to have cost me ~200 mAh of the maximum capacity but whatever. :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

I remember that lots of rMBP owners had massive image retention/ghosting issues with the displays, is that a thing of the past or still something to consider when ordering the new Haswell rMBP tomorrow?

eames
May 9, 2009

mayodreams posted:

The Haswell GPU is much better than the Ivy Bridge one, so it stands to reason it might reduce artifacts on the display.

Yes, I wasn’t talking about framerate issues though.

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bwh_GnwBFA&t=48s

This is a display panel issue, it has nothing to do with the GPU.

eames
May 9, 2009

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I'm getting psyched up to get an rMBP when they refresh, but the storage available on these really bugs me...

How do people live with a 128gb drive? Do you lug a thunderbolt drive around at all times? Confine all your music to iCloud? Am I exaggerating this issue? :ohdear:

128GB would be too small for me personally. I use a 256GB MBA with a WD USB 3.0 drive and it is really, really quick.

I imagine a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt enclosure with a desktop SSD in it would feel as fast as the built in SSD for most everyday tasks. The only really annoying thing about my WD USB 3.0 drive is that it slows down my 2.4 Ghz 802.11n transfer rates significantly. (down to 30% in my case) A thunderbolt enclosure or 5Ghz WiFi would solve that.

eames
May 9, 2009

japtor posted:

Never heard of that issue before :psyduck:. Is this widely known or did you just find out about it after noticing slow speeds or something?

I use MenuMeters to keep an eye on my network throughput and noticed that my download rates were sometimes around 10 MB/s (as they should be) and sometimes capped at 3 MB/s, even though seemingly nothing changed. I thought it was my internet connection, but then I noticed the same thing with LAN transfers. Eventually I singled out the USB 3.0 drive as the culprit and then I found that white paper.

Choadmaster posted:

If you have a 2012 MBA and software update doesn't come up with anything, does that mean it's fine (not an affected model) or is it software update loving up? Any way to tell if the SSD is a toshiba without opening the machine up? Disk utility and system information label it an "apple SSD".

If you have a 256 GB model, you’re fine because Apple only used Samsung SSDs with that capacity.

You can check your exact model in the System Profiler -> SATA/SATAExpress register. Samsung drives typically start with SM, Toshiba with ™.

//edit: looks like the app was renamed to "System Information", just enter that in Spotlight to launch it.

eames fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I really hope they won't drop the dGPU for the 15" yet. :ohdear:
Maybe they’ll replace the old MBP with a low-end rMBP using only integrated GT3 graphics?

FCKGW posted:

Yeah that doesn't make much sense unless they got some voodoo running to make it work much better under 4gb.

something like memory compression (a new feature in Mavericks!)

eames fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 22, 2013