Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Data Graham posted:

According to a Surface Pro ad I keep getting served, what they really need is to go full touchscreen!! Why can't they give you a whole touchscreen instead of just this little bitty bar??

You asked for it
https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple-patents-keyboard-free-macbook-3803412/

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

nerdrum posted:

https://twitter.com/duanrui1205/status/1378721039086067714?s=20

And people say the M1's can't be upgraded.

Sidenote, am I the only person who thinks the M1 looks like an SoC cut exactly in half? It would be really lol if the M2 reveal is just apple putting the other piece on this and being like "bam 16 core desktop".

Would be interesting if at least to see how moving the RAM off the die affects performance.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

mediaphage posted:

the ram is not on the chip die

It sure looks like it is

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

BobHoward posted:

not if you know what you're looking at

ok less snark:

See the green border? You can't see much of it because 99% of its surface is covered by other things, but that's an organic substrate. It's essentially a miniature printed circuit board on which one or more other devices are mounted.

The silvery thing on the left side with an apple logo is a heatspreader. Just a piece of metal that's reasonably thermally conductive, glued on top of other things.

Underneath the heatspreader (not visible) is the M1 System-on-Chip, a monolithic piece of silicon, aka the "die". It connects to the organic substrate through solder bumps, and to the heatspreader through some kind of thermal interface material.

The two black plastic things on the right side are LPDDR4 memory packages. They connect to the organic substrate through solder balls. There are multiple LPDDR4 memory die inside each one of those black rectangles, with internal wiring of a different type than the main package. Apple buys whole LPDDR4 packages and solders them to the M1; this kind of thing is called "Package-on-Package" memory, or PoP.

So no, the M1 memory isn't "on die", and nothing's been cut in half. You're just looking at a version of PoP which Apple's been using in iPads for a while now. (guess what M1's lineage is?)

Nice rundown. I wonder what their reasoning is for not just incorporating the entire thing in a single die? Do they source their memory from external vendors?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Arivia posted:

pretty sure TWiT has a twitter anyway!

The last time I listened to a leo laporte podcast it was 2007 and he was constantly raving about twitter