Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I have a question about laptops! I am looking into getting a laptop, either a Pro or Air. It will mainly be used for Ruby on Rails. Is there a big difference in the two laptops to prefer one or go for the best deal I can find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

flosofl posted:

I'm a big fan of the larger screen resolutions of the Pro (specifically the 15") for programming. Another big question is will you be using an IDE or just editing txt files? If you're just using an editor running/debugging from CLI, horsepower-wise the i5 should be fine. Regardless, you're going to want 8GB/256GB.

I don't do Ruby, but I use a 15 rMBP for Python with PyCharm and I think it's perfect. I have an older 13" I use to test stuff and while I've done some on there, it always feels too cramped. I simply can't imagine trying to do it on the Air. It's a personal thing, so you may be fine.

Pryor on Fire posted:

How exactly are you developing? The more experienced dev teams nowadays starting to realize that developing locally is a pretty bad idea and doing it in a VMs instead makes creating a local environment that is nearly identical to test/production much easier, as well speeding up the process of rolling out new environments on different machines whether they are physical or virtual.

The downside of this is running even one or two VMs at once takes up lots of resources, and that's where the extra cores/threads/RAM in the pro model really shines. I'm running 4 different linux VMs currently for various layers of an application and that wouldn't be feasible with 8GB of RAM.

If you don't want to do any of that or have no idea what anything I just typed means then you're probably fine with an Air.

Thanks, guys. I'm going to be doing pretty basic stuff and definitely not multiple VMs at this time. I'll probably using it for other things so I decided on the Pro because of Retina and $100 off helped, too.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you are buying a new rMPB poney up the cash to get the amount of HD space and RAM that you think you will need at least 3 years from now. 500gb adds another $300 to it, but I think it's worth it to not have to deal with finding a used HD down the road and either upgrading it yourself or paying someone to.

Personally, if I needed more than 500gb of storage for projects I was doing on a laptop I would get an external HD to store the big stuff on. You can get boxes for external raid arrays for ~$150 plus the cost of the drives you throw in there, and that will get you a hell of a lot more storage than upgrading the internal capacity of the MPB.

This. I'm used to PCs so I just bought the smaller hard drive thinking I can just buy later for cheaper than the upgrade is. Went to check on prices and it's about double to buy later than just getting it with your rMBP. Expensive lesson learned. I'm probably just going external now unless a really sweet deal comes along. Don't be jabro.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Gay Retard posted:

I'd also like to point out that your overheating issue seems extremely unique. Did you ever take it to the Apple store?

That's what I'm thinking. I had 2017 15" for a little over a month and while it did get a little warm sometimes it was nothing really noticable. Granted I want using it for anything strenuous, mostly xcode and a web browser with multiple tabs open including YouTube.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I will send you a check for 100x the price of your item. Please cash it with your bank and send me the remaining money back. Thanks!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Upgrade from a 14.4k modem and 5gb isn’t such an annoyance.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It’s not as bad as everyone says it is. Its also not game changing as Apple marketing pushed it as. It’s just there.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Weedle posted:

It’s more like half the protection. The friction between the two condoms makes them both more likely to break.

That's why you get them lubed for the condoms' enjoyment.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

spookygonk posted:

Any way to add the Delete Key to the touch bar? I use it a lot when editing in Premiere Pro and it's about the only annoying thing with the MacBook Pro 2018 keyboard (basically don't use the touch bar at all otherwise)

Obviously I could just map the Delete Key to another key combo...

BetterTouchTool? I think it does but never used the app so can’t say definitely so I’d check before paying for it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ultimate Mango posted:

Run slack in a chrome tab?

He only has 64 gigs of RAM.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think 8GB held out for the longest as being the recommended amount to have for builds. It probably could have gone longer but prices for 16 gotten so cheap might as well do that instead.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Binary Badger posted:

C'mon Apple, announce your October event already, it's almost over :argh:

The latest they've announced an October event was the 18th for an event on the 30th. If they don't announce tomorrow don't expect one.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

eames posted:

Looks like the 16” is coming this week. It’d be strange for Apple to skip the holiday season unless they have major manufacturing issues.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/11/11/16-inch-macbook-pro-hands-on-event/

They are releasing AirPods Pro Max for the people with a colossal auditory system.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I cant wait for the outrage when it's those AirTags that's been leaked.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bob Morales posted:

Plus, building the Mac Pro is a testament to American ingenuity.

:-/

It's not the loving Space Shuttle.

I think he was referring to how Apple was able to teach Texans how to build anything technical.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Godzilla07 posted:

Relay is a podcast network whose core shows are about technology and Apple in particular. Much of what was the Apple blogosphere in the 2000s has moved into podcasts, and the most important podcasts in the Appleverse with the exception of ATP are on Relay.

P.S. ATP makes a lot more sense once you realize they were clearing 6 figures a year each from ad sales, John is a senior dev, and Marco has Overcast and his Tumblr Millions as a backstop.

But then Marco has Under the Radar with Relay.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

nvm

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Binary Badger posted:

The new iMacs are here, and there was much rejoicing..

iMac Pros got GPU and VRAM updates, plus lowest end is now 10 core.

iMacs:

No new design, and only the 27-inchers are getting new 10th gen chips.

Still Bluetooth 5, still 802.11ac, can be configured to have 10-Gbit Ethernet.

Monitor is TrueTone, can drive two external 6K monitors if you spring for a Radeon 5500 or 5700.

The new 27-inchers are SSD only, no more Fusion drives.

High end model offers GPUs starting with 5500 with 8 GB VRAM, up to 5700 XT with 16 GB VRAM, GDDR6 (not HBM)

As stated before, new 27-inchers now come with FaceTime 1080p cams.

21.5 inch models still stuck in the past, no changes to their configs.

iMac Pros

Lowest end is 10-core, was upgrade option before

GPUs now include Vega 64, 64X, and now can have 8 GB to 16 GB HBM2 VRAM. HBM2 VRAM option on 16-inchers has gotten rave reviews..

Guess they are waiting to update their 8 year old design for the ARM iMacs. A Buick LaSabre looks more modern.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ok Comboomer posted:

iPaid is like the MAD Magazine version of the iPad

Ok boomer

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FuturePastNow posted:

ayyy you'll be able to play phone games

They'll be able to play the most popular form of video games!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That's how you end it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MarcusSA posted:

poo poo I had to drop early what did I miss?

The PC guy from the old Mac vs Windows commercial had a question. Won't spoil it but it should be on YouTube in about 5 seconds.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Crunchy Black posted:

If you read it to the letter of the law it never expires. I also expect folks will start getting letters saying, uh yeah, return these per our agreement about....now.

e: re the displays, probably not wrong but there's also no reason you couldn't do eGPU to get around that since they used the Intel specs (obstensibly) when designing their Thunderbolt controller.

I was expecting one before the event but haven't received an email yet.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

frogbs posted:

I'm trying to help my brother with something. His wife needs a new Macbook, but needs to be able to drive two external monitors. That's prettymuch a no-go with the M1 macbooks at this point, right? He was chatting with Apple Support, who told him this CalDigit dock would work, but it specifically says 'needs an intel mac' in the description. Should she just wait for the M2 or whatever the next iteration is, or look at some USB monitor adapters maybe?

I have that dock with a M1 Air on order. Not supposed to get it until the first week of February but have heard people have been getting them within 14 days. I know it's a wait but can test if two monitors will work when I get it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Speaking of which, anyone know the current turnaround time on these M1 MBP orders from Apple shipped to America?

Go to the Apple store and configure what you want. It’ll tell you the estimate.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think it’s a internal design thing where if they have a port on each side they would have needed two controllers where with both on one side they have one controller. This is based on pure speculation and my very limited and probably wrong knowledge of TB3 and USB-C.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Depends on how you do it. If you have an Apple Card and do the year of no interest payments the trade-in price is instantly credited to you in checkout. If you pay any other way you pay full price then when they get the machine they credit back the trade-in price to your card.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Shadowhand00 posted:

So is the general thought that you get the base model M1 and then trade it in for the 16" when that comes out if that's ultimately your preferred form factor?

I think the general thought would be to just wait for the 16” unless you have money to burn.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Spime Wrangler posted:

apple is shifting all their cash reserves into bitcoin and $TSLA

Tesla stock has been a wild ride. AMA about daily five figure swings!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLKVvpwgGW0

A whole lotta fussin to get 20% better Cinebench scores

Next: Rocket assisted Ford Pintos

I was going to say it was worth it for the views but they only got 188k with half a million subs. Mac users aren't PCMasterRace. Who woulda thunk it?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Hadlock posted:

Is there an iOS version of vscode? iTerm2?

iOS is great but not very compatible with standard developer workflows

97% of what I do is write and test stuff locally, lightweight data manipulation for debug, and then push the changes, those changes get built remotely and do heavy weight data manipulation in somebody's cloud/big server

I could probably do my local stuff on a first gen iphone cpu but I need a "real" industry os, and I don't think Apple is going to convince developers otherwise. xcode or whatever, doesn't count

It's a couple years old but someone got it working. Not sure if there are more modern ways.

https://medium.com/@ow/its-finally-possible-to-code-web-apps-on-an-ipad-pro-90ad9c1fb59a

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Did Apple switch to UPS? Everything from them has always been FedEx. Their tracking seems to be the same either way. Sits in Hong King for a couple days before magically appearing in Alaska. Now it will sit in Alaska for a few day before magically being out for delivery.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="512661051"]
Following on from display chat the other day, I was wondering if anyone could help me getting my setup working?

I have a 13” MacBook Pro 2020, 4 ports, i7 running macOS 10.15.7 (waiting for some applications to be made compatible before upgrading to 11) and I can’t see to work out how to use my 3 external monitors at the same time.

The Apple support page implies I should be able to connect up to 4 displays at higher resolutions than I’m currently using:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211192

I have the following 3 external monitors, along with a Startech TB3 dock, various USB-C to DisplayPort/HDMI cables, normal HDMI/DP cables, and TB3 cables that can be used with the LG monitor:

LG 38WN95C – 3840x1600 144Hz
Asus PG279Q – 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell U2412M – 1920x1200 60Hz

No matter what combination of cables/ports I use I cannot get all 3 screens working simultaneously; as soon as 2 are active nothing is detected when I plug the 3 screen in.

Closing the laptop to disable the internal LCD doesn’t make a difference. However, when I bootcamp into Windows 10 20H2, I’m able to see all 4 screens as connected and can use all 3 externals simultaneously by disconnecting the built-in laptop screen in control panel, so this doesn’t appear to be a hardware limitation?

Does anyone have any clever tricks or tools I can use on the macOS side to get this working?

Are you running all monitors from one side of the MacBook? Only two monitors can run from one TB bus. If you haven’t tried it yet run one from the other side of the computer.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

A couple years ago there was a week they released refreshed products every day for four days. On Thursday everyone was going crazy thinking Apple was about to drop a major last product on Friday. Instead they didn’t release anything on that day and the internet cried.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Since the rumor is of a possibility that the Touch ID keyboards will not be available for sale individually I contacted Apple Returns on what happens if you buy a new iMac and forget the keyboard in the return box. Took 20 minutes for them to say that they return all incomplete items back to the customer instead of charging for missing items. The guy was probably trolling me by acting dense so I applaud him for that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

magiccarpet posted:

So do they have hardware in stores for tomorrow?

I cannot wait to throw my touchbar machine away.

Usually it’s reveal, preorder the following Friday, then release the Friday after that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

the talent deficit posted:

best buy, b&h and amazon are the most likely apple retailers to offer discounts ime

If you have a Costco membership you can add them to this list.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Binary Badger posted:

I'm feeling the same way but there's this idiot inside me that keeps saying 'waaaait for the M3' and then my brain turns into Robby the Robot being asked to kill the Monster from the Id and I keep rereading old Guttman emails about how good it's supposed to be..

No release date for it yet but if Apple keeps on its eighteen-ish month chip release cycle you’re looking at late this year, early next for it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I thought that was an Onion article when I saw the headline. I would love a Mac version but kinda hope they make it and only release it to her. The outrage would be immense and hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

See if she’ll use the m1 for a day or two. Yeah the 2013 still works but come on. There is no way after using an almost decade newer machine she’ll be nah I’m good.