Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

One Swell Foop posted:

I just played a round of TF2 at full resolution, it had some framerate issues but it was playable enough.

What are the specs on your Air?

I sort of want one but I'd like to be able to do a little gaming, TF2, SC2 and Diablo 3 eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

This is just a guess, but I imagine prices will drop significantly once SSDs stop being an option and become the standard when buying a new pc. Macbook Airs obviously do this and some netbooks, but I think it's still a hard option to sell people on, especially at current prices.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I'd like to make the move to SSD in my early 2008 MacBook. Which drive is the most reliable? Not really concerned about price but it has to be 128GB or more.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Goddamnit those numbers are insane. Kind of sucks you can't get anywhere close with the stock drives.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I want to get my wife a new Macbook Air to replace her 2012 model...what's the best spec build out bang for the buck? She's definitely not a power user - pretty much just browses the web, does finances, uses Photos and very occasionally remotes into work on it. I'd like for it to last her another 8 years if possible and I'm not sure if springing for the i5 is worth it for her uses. Thanks!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

japtor posted:

Well the i5 is the best bang for the buck, or arguably one of the lower end MBPs I think. Main question for another 8 years would be software support cause Intel Macs will be no more at some point. But for basic use like that it'll probably be fine for a while, and get through the growing pains of the ARM Macs by the time you want to replace it.

Thanks I totally forgot about the ARM switch, I'll probably hold off.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

movax posted:

This is what I'm looking for — allow higher TDP for the A14 to stay clocked up longer. My dad is still using an ancient Air (like a 2011 or 2012), says its fine for what he needs to do / wants to do, but I feel compelled to do something and an ARM MacBook seems perfect for his needs.

This is my situation too - wife still loves her 2012 Macbook Air, waiting until next week to spring for one. Aside from a somewhat loose hinge it's been an amazing piece of hardware. She also refuses to believe screen size is the same 13" because of how much the bezels have shrunk.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

welp pulled the trigger on a new lowest spec MBA for my wife. she wanted gold, how garish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

being an apple youtube reviewer is such a good grift I am honestly jealous