Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1201607/

Couldn't catch this one over the weekend because it was sold out, which is unusual for theaters around here. Every goddamn showing was sold out; I expect mostly to people who actively squeeze in words like "muggle" into daily conversation. Those people have waited a decade for this film, and thankfully it doesn't disappoint.

There's not a lot more I can say beyond what has been said by the critics. The actors pull out all the stops to give us a fantastic film, but considering they've been playing the same roles for the past ten years that's no surprise. You might feel sad that you'll never see them all together again in another film, but watching them on screen together easily gives you the impression that they feel a lot worse about it.

And of course the budget for special effects must have been greater than the national debt. Hardly a second passes with some grandiose thing isn't happening on screen. I have to say that the one thing I've always enjoyed most in terms of the effects is the wand battles. They don't just shoot magic beams at each other. It's like they're throwing molten magic from their wands, and when they collide it's absolutely spectacular. Thankfully this film gives me a few moments like that to enjoy.

Anyway I'll keep it brief and say 5 out of 5. The only thing to disappoint here is that this is the final film, so I have no more to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It helps that it's easier to turn part 2 into an interesting film, since part 1 deals with lots of less-interesting plot developments. But what's really crucial is that part 2 MASSIVELY cleans up story structure problems from the book, much more than any other movie (because there were more problems to deal with). After being let down by some of the movies, this is the first time I thought the movie was clearly superior to the book.

4.5/5