Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Oh hey, there's a few new replies in the Prequel thread. Maybe it upda... :stare:"

Yeah pretty much this.

Those of you like me who thought that this ended too quickly, make sure you click the "next" button at the bottom.

Also appreciating the Zalgo text at the end; nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I don't like that I have to shrink the page size to actually see what's going on :(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kazerad posted:

I've been getting really mixed reactions on that so far. Some people like the "bigness" of having to scroll to see everything, other people are just frustrated that they can't get it all on one screen.

I think a lot of people assume they have to scroll around a lot to find what's happening before they miss it, but the scrolling itself is actually an input that determines the animation timing. The fires will not start spreading until you scroll down to them, Katia will not look up until you move the scrollbar up, and the text will not change until you see it.

My biggest design failing here was probably that it's not entirely clear that you are in control the timing. Unlike the stairs update where the scrollbar was very clearly controlling the action, this one is made to feel like one big image and the control kept more subtle. But on the bright side, unlike the last one this is a relatively short update so it's easy enough to hit F5 if you feel like you missed something. The scrollbar interactivity has been this dream sequence's main thing, and I'll probably play with it a little bit more to see if I can hit that sweet spot where it is Just Really Awesome For Everyone.

Another problem is that we don't know when the animation is done. Does it end with hey kat kat kat or is there more? Do I click on katya? Do I click on the fire? Am I going to miss something because I'm impatient?

It ends up getting a little frustrating not being able to control the narrative in this way. I'd recommend that you err on the side of leading your viewers around by the nose towards your main content, while still rewarding them for exploring a little.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 5, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Prison Warden posted:

So it's the same as how Kahjit range from Katia to talking housepet to lion-men, somehow dependant on the phases of the moon? And you just oh so conveniently only ever run into like one kind per country?

You're over thinking a video game.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Need a :catstonk:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Why not go whole hog and have the lines voiced? I'm sure there are readers who'd be happy to provide readings.

Because it will sound cringeworthy unless he has a professional voice actor willing to do this. He also needs someone willing to commit to an indefinite timeline to do voices at short notice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Eldoop posted:

People were giving him poo poo about not drawing a character with body image issues fat enough (despite it being really clear that most of said issues were unfounded), and he had a breakdown due to not having any coping mechanisms since he just quit smoking a couple weeks ago and quit drinking a little longer ago. During said breakdown he drank a bottle of whiskey and stabbed himself in the hand.

:stare:

Well I'm glad that Kazerad knows how to handle sass from random people on the internet!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

flatluigi posted:

http://stuffinn.tumblr.com/tagged/prequel

Wow he sure posted a lot about Prequel.

http://stuffinn.tumblr.com/post/35165874441/you-ever-wonder-if-kazerad-saw-that-clip-from-the

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is a troll account, and its hysterical.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm trying to figure out if the panel itself moving when she swings that thing is intentional or not. It looks good in the last panel when she's hitting the shield, but it's also happening when she's cocking back to hit and in the figure-8 panel, as well.

Yes, I think it's pretty clearly intentional. It's intended to give a "WHAM!" impression without having a big cartoony "WHAM!" appear.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fat_Cow posted:

Make your own update!

I laughed way too hard at what people are coming up with.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

abbic posted:

Clearly you should be giving out art assets more often

Dare I say I smell a Photoshop feature article for the front page?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Boy, I sure do like hearing about the personal life of the artist in a webcomic about a promiscuous alcoholic catgirl.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kazy posted:

It might just be another one of Katia's useless but interesting skills, being able to tell precise time by the sun alone.

By pressing tab, naturally.

Vidja game logic still sort of applies.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jon Joe posted:

I did this about 4 times when first putting away all my extra junk.

I do this all the goddamned time.

I "solved" this by having different chests for different item types in my home, thus making it trivial to figure out what I picked up. It's still a time waster when I do it, but at least it's way simpler.

I've started to realize that I don't actually enjoy playing TES games; I play them for the "fun" of grinding against bandits in the whatever or other fetch/kill quest and it turns into a game of obligation, especially since I'm hardwired to just loving DO each quest no matter how stupid it is, or I'll feel like I'm missing out on some important bit of story. I lasted a couple of months before buying Skyrim, maybe I'll manage to skip the next game entirely.

Nah, who am I kidding. It'll get like 82 on metacritic and I'll shrug and click "buy"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MikeJF posted:

It's sad the amount I referred to the Weight/Value ratio column in Skyrim whilst trekking around looting. (A SkyUI feature)

I would just do mental arithmetic. Of course, that wasn't as helpful since by late game I was constantly picking up glass swords and stuff which was still basically vendor trash since I maxed blacksmithing and gave myself the best everything with potion bumps.

:argh: TES :argh:

Ursine Asylum posted:

Fallout 3 was actually one of the games that I didn't mod in anything for because of the item degradation system. Everything you picked up was such low quality that you could just keep chain-stacking items together until super-late game high-quality enclave power armor... And by that point, I had so many caps from selling my unused weightless ammo from the ammo scrounger perk that it wasn't even worth picking up things with weight to sell anymore.

This was actually a great system, along with System Shock 2, where your poo poo is constantly falling apart, so picking up more items isn't a way to sell vendor trash, it's a way to make sure your stuff is in at least somewhat working order.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kazerad posted:

I remember when they were making Skyrim and Todd boasted that the player would have a REAL IMPACT on the economy of places they shopped at.

(he meant they were going back to the Morrowind system where merchants had limited money per day).

This is why I don't bother listening to anything that the TES devs say about their AI or their world. I remember having them boast about the radiant AI that one NPC killed another for a rake to complete a task, and it turns out that was utter bullshit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Madoushi posted:

I thought that Radiant AI actually did do all that stuff, but they ended up having to take most of it out because they couldn't figure out a way to stop all the townsfolk from stealing each others stuff and having fights to the death over it.

That's exactly it, but they still talked about it. If you tout something then pull it because it doesn't actually work, then screw you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

On its own, Oblivion is a good game. The problem is that there are glaring differences which a lot of people felt were for the worse. It was obviously designed for consoles (though skyrim is even worse with this), features were removed, and the world felt more constrained even if it was technically larger. Large promises were made and then blatantly broken (Radiant AI is the best example here). The leveling was broken which made every fight exactly the same. Patrick Stewart is billed as a voice actor, then gets like 2 minutes before he's killed off.

If you haven't played it, by all means do so, but it won't capture the same feeling that Morrowind had.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

I thought this was dead, but apparently not?

Beware, Gaius, the summoner is a palette-swapped King of Worms!

:woop:

I kept thinking that I'd remove this thread from my bookmarks. Good thing that I didn't!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

IronSaber posted:

Sigrid would be pretty cute if she wasn't so drat conniving and manipulative.

And so it begins

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I just assumed that they were regular paints and she never gets to indulge in her hobby :3:

Alternately, this is going to end up as that painting rescue mission from oblivion

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Awful Betamax on Android, viewing the website in the browser (WebKit). Gif loops fine on both.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Update! Sword dog. Best ally.

Good dog sword dog :3:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pretty sure pulled pork sandwiches aren't supposed to do that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's an amusing update, and I'm interested to hear that throwing rocks at people it's TECHNICALLY legal, but there's not a lot to discuss.

We can discuss Stephan's hair :swoon:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I love that the bartender in the background is a zoomed-in pixelated mess.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

IronSaber posted:

I can't remember if the bug musk is a real item in Oblivion or not.

Only in morrowind.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Telvanni_Bug_Musk

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Never change Kaz :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cthulhuchan posted:

You call that a table flip?

I got your table flipping action right here!

That table sure is flipping a lot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tenebrais posted:

Gharug is the best character.

Is... is there a reason he was naked? I guess he doesn't really need one, but still.

Wearing armor means a lower carry limit, and he's all about the looting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I am not quite sure, but I think that's a :stonk: on that there ghost's face.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sadly, no, the Nerevarine killed Vivec.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Those who haven't played Oblivion may wish to follow Lizard Wizard's excellent You... I've seen you. Let me play Oblivion thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tollymain posted:

Update was cool. Can't wait for when it updates again in September.

I just view it as an infrequent treat :v:

Really, this was an excellent update and well done, and I can't wait to see more. Hopefully kaz will update more frequently.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I think it has to do with those two blocks at the beginning; some text editors put some sort of weird unprintable characters at the top of documents that result in browsers not recognizing that it's a webpage instead of a binary file, so they default to what they do for all binary files and dump the literal result into the browser.

e: yeah it's this poo poo right here.
code:
[1151|-|I] ursine@box : ~ % curl -l [url]http://www.prequeladventure.com/this/AggyExtrapolate.html[/url]
þÿ<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

Like you posted, it's not weird unprintable characters, they're BOMs to let whoever is reading the document know what order the unicode goes in. Sadly, HTML isn't really one of the places that they belong.

You can open the file in a programmer's text editor and re-save the file in a different format (ascii should be fine)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You know, sometimes unicorns forget about the rider :(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tenebrais posted:

That... wasn't breakdancing.

In case anyone missed it, the panel that shows her inventory gives you a summary of what's in it if you mouse over it.

I totally missed that. Thanks!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The last image in that update kills it, and really does feel like TES.jpg

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

What in the gently caress is even going on? I feel like I waded into some giant circle jerk about something that doesn't even matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kazerad posted:

I appreciate the sincerity. Though, I wouldn't say that I expect GamerGate to be "salvaged" at any point. It's a functional construct: nearly all the people I've met through GamerGate are firmly against harassment and share about the same views I do with regard to media coverage in the gaming industry. I could claim no association with them and simply shout my thoughts into the feral wilds of the internet, but positively addressing GamerGate gives me a targeted audience that I know is likely to sympathize with my experiences and spread them to others who do as well. As I see it, the most important thing here is to build connections between people who feel the same way, and I see this as the best way for me to do that.

If you said "Hitler had some good ideas" while talking about some economic policies in 1935, most people will just immediately stop listening because everyone else follows that line up with "about killing all the jews." Sure, you'll get an audience of SOME KIND if you say that, but it's not the audience that you want.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread