Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Atlus has never really cared about balance when it comes to updating games, so I'd say that has more to do with this just being a "remaster" plus VA than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Have there been any early impressions on Switch vs PS4 performance?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLYyWSmlfJM
Yuck.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Was it remastered by submerging a plastic wrapped microphone in a bucket of water and playing the original with the speakers pointed at the bucket?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That’s how it sounded on PS2, unfortunately. I was hoping the remastered audio wouldn’t sound like the original because then we could hear all of the variations on the normal battle theme in crisp quality.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Wow, I was only listening to that on a laptop speaker and the difference still sounded so obviously terrible that I have no idea how they hosed it up that badly.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah to clear up the confusion that everyone in the Youtube comments seems to be having as well: The 'OST version' was never like that in the PS2 releases either, it always sounded muffled in-game. Only the actual OST CDs have them in higher quality. Sadly, the HD Remaster seems to be reusing the PS2 files rather than the OST ones.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh yeah I remember these fuzzy muffled tunes immediately, that's the original game version of the music files alright.

Would it really have been that much effort to swap in the OST versions?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
from watching a stream of the PS4 version, those load times are atrocious, most noticeable when you're trying to reroll skills.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I like the playing the drums under a big comfy quilt version

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

from watching a stream of the PS4 version, those load times are atrocious, most noticeable when you're trying to reroll skills.

https://clips.twitch.tv/StrangeCrazyAlbatrossChocolateRain

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess that's how they decided to balance re-reolling skills

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That looks...rough. Glad I have my ps2 copy. Also I kinda think the models look bad. Nocturne was one of the few games that benefits from early ps2 having lovely graphics, the new models look too shiny and weird

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

That looks...rough. Glad I have my ps2 copy. Also I kinda think the models look bad. Nocturne was one of the few games that benefits from early ps2 having lovely graphics, the new models look too shiny and weird

They're the same models though?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The original game was very fuzzy and foggy compared to the HD remaster. I dunno if it was a quirk of the graphics engine used at the time or what but the DDS games also had the same kinda look. If the demon models look shiny it's probably a result of now being seen without that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The original game was very fuzzy and foggy compared to the HD remaster. I dunno if it was a quirk of the graphics engine used at the time or what but the DDS games also had the same kinda look. If the demon models look shiny it's probably a result of now being seen without that.

It's definitely an engine thing, but I think it also came about because it made it easier to get around the PS2's hardware limitations. A Silent Hill Fog solution to things, perhaps; can't tell the game's got crap draw distance or something if you can't see clearly beyond thirty feet anyway.

The game was also always intended to have a cel shaded look, it was just a hair more subtle about it than, say, Wind Waker. It's a big part of why I was so excited about this remaster, because cel shaded games make for AMAZING HD transfers. But without the ambiguity from that foggy look it's a lot clearer that that's what they're doing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The original also ran at interlaced 448 vertical lines and had a very soft anti-aliasing filter (thankfully not Vaseline smeared on your TV soft like N64).

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It looks like they put new shaders on the models and redid some textures. The first thing I thought after seeing the reveal trailer is how shiny everything looks.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got to sit down and start SMT IV and I have this to say

Getting macca is slow and it sucks... a lot...

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
They really wanted people to buy the pay to win DLCs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I admit that I'm kinda biased since it's my fave one of the mainline series and it's been a while since I played it but you don't really have much on the way of needing macca unless you're trying to go full hog on the compendium early? Plus, enemies drop a crapload of items and more often than not you're gonna start needing to sell off a buncha your stock. If you're worried about augmenting your armor, trust me if you're just getting started, it's still kinda early for you to update your armor.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I found IV:A much more accessible in the early game but I haven't done a deep dive into it yet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Apocalypse certainly has a better difficulty curve.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What helps with Apocalypse is they understood the system and started to build around it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Got to the David side quest and I hate him so much (twice my entire party got wiped by Mamudo before the actual fight started)

My wife saw him when she looked over my shoulder

:j: Tweedly Dee Tweedly Dah, I’m gonna break your loving Jaw

:v: this rear end in a top hat has caused me headaches for the past few hours

:j: so you are saying my description was accurate?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/1329621274742587393?s=20

atlus looking at the performance issues in Nocturne remaster.

Really hoping that gets improved a lot before the english release.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
For any who've been waiting as I have for ANY sort of sale, Tokyo Mirage Sessions finally got a Nintendo eShop discount of 33%. It's still probably too high, but you know, Nintendo and RPG discounts don't tend to hold hands a lot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
still cheaper in Argentina for some reason though

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
What’s the word on TMS anyway? Even as a huge SMT fan I keep forgetting that game exists and for that price I might just finally pick it up.

Man-In-Madden fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 24, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm playing it now and it's pretty fun. It's good if you like cheese and ham.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It's probably the Nintendo-Other Company Collaborative Spinoff that I hear the most unreserved support of. Granted, that isn't the biggest field, but the general feedback of it I've seen is 'if you think you'll like this, it's great'. Which is a lot better than you get around, like, Hyrule Warriors, where a whole bunch of people's responses are apparently kneejerk warnings about Warriors games.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Mario + Rabbids is a better game tbh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cleretic posted:

It's probably the Nintendo-Other Company Collaborative Spinoff that I hear the most unreserved support of. Granted, that isn't the biggest field, but the general feedback of it I've seen is 'if you think you'll like this, it's great'. Which is a lot better than you get around, like, Hyrule Warriors, where a whole bunch of people's responses are apparently kneejerk warnings about Warriors games.

You're lucky if you've never heard idol discourse

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Man-In-Madden posted:

What’s the word on TMS anyway? Even as a huge SMT fan I keep forgetting that game exists and for that price I might just finally pick it up.

the battle system is surprisingly good, and the localization is better that p5 somehow (the text message conversations between tms and p5 are night and day)

despite all of that, it's a bit bland

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Idol discourse"?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why do I bring these things up

'Everything involving idols is bad because the real life idol industry is bad' basically

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Mario + Rabbids is a better game tbh.

Mario + Rabbids gets the opposite response to Hyrule Warriors, it's constantly accompanied by 'I promise it's good, it's not as dumb as it looks'.

Which is true, that game's rad. But it's not unconditional approval.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
does anyone know how the difficulty options work in the nocturne remaster? can you change it on the fly, or are you stuck with what you pick from the start?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Why do I bring these things up

'Everything involving idols is bad because the real life idol industry is bad' basically
Ah, I was just wondering. No strong opinions on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
almost as dumb as people getting really mad at Makoto wanting to be an generic FOR JUSTICE anime cop because cops in real life are trash.