Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

ImpAtom posted:

feels like a lower budget version of the same basic concept. It's reusing models and animations from SMTV even.

Hmm.. Well that's part of the issue isn't it? It feels like a cheaper version of the games that I like with character designs, dungeon designs, and music that I don't think I'll enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So what I'm getting here is that they should have made the battles first person so everything is nice and snappy like the first game? if so I agree

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The 2D battle format owns, I was playing strange journey recently and drat they're just so snappy!!

Nocturne and 5 are a little bit more sluggish, as are all the persona games but they still cool cats

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

ImpAtom posted:

Hell until extremely recently non-Persona SMT was "still pictures of demons with elemental effects appearing over them."

dont erase the ps2 gmaes like this!! im getting upset!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

NikkolasKing posted:

fights are a waste of time

famously not true in other smt games. now to play nocturne and dds1 without using estoma, right after im done hammerin g these nails through my feet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

dont erase the ps2 gmaes like this!! im getting upset!!!

I'm not. The PS2 games are in some cases over 2 decades old. The gulf between P4 and P5 was wide.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
they werent still pictures!! we had 3d models and demi fiend slid over and punched them!! the portable gen pushed us back 15 years!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

i like your attitude. lets show em a thing or three.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm reasonably looking forward to SH2 off of descriptions of it so far. I shall not watch the youtube video.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

look atlus has to get their moneys worth out of those demon sprites

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A lot of the boss fights really felt like they built encounters around the dampeners and the fact that every demon could use items by default feels like a concession they made to make the former work.

Technically it's not default, you have to unlock it. I never took that skill bc it seemed stupidly OP and had a great time.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

is the audio mix really weird in this or did the player turn down everything except the voices?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Booky posted:

look atlus has to get their moneys worth out of those demon sprites

it is good they can now put out another game so soon after 5... hope they bring back or start some other side stuff again now

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

In Training posted:

Technically it's not default, you have to unlock it. I never took that skill bc it seemed stupidly OP and had a great time.

You're right, Default was the wrong word I mean like..with no real cost to demon building/planning. in earlier games you at least had to get the skill onto that specific demon and that took up one of your skill slots. The option and all the shield items being so readily available really warped encounter design.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
i hardly used dampeners later, guard and natural immunes ftw.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Motto posted:

honestly sega should've just made a weird project sekai themed 7th Dragon spinoff or smth

Your Standard SMT Plot but starring Ichiban and his pals and also Majima.

Nonzero chance that Ichiban has actually played SMT1 and 2 before, come to think of it.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

this is a neat tribute to the television series Breaking Bad, though IMO it would've been more appropriate for a 2022 vidcon to reference the more recent Better Call Saul.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The animations seem to lack a certain impact (no hitstop I guess?) but otherwise it looks fine

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Motto posted:

honestly sega should've just made a weird project sekai themed 7th Dragon spinoff or smth

Oh noo now I want this really bad

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
At this point the only thing I want to know about SH2 is who the optional superboss is and is it Raidou Kuzunoha

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Dampeners were so loving dumb. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Tired Moritz posted:

Dampeners were so loving dumb. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea.

they are a good idea

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tired Moritz posted:

i assume they were there to on-board noobs and to make the early game a bit less random

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
using my gigantic brain i simply stopped using dampeners after the early game. guard ftw.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I mean you can use dampeners and guard, especially for demons that have two or more AOE attacks. It's just so dumb that they have this whole "woah this demon is gonna release a super attack" gimmick that you can nullify with a item that you can easily buy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Tired Moritz posted:

I mean you can use dampeners and guard, especially for demons that have two or more AOE attacks.

are u saying using both on the same turn?? u just guard once you start getting bosses that can hit you with multiple elements

quote:

It's just so dumb that they have this whole "woah this demon is gonna release a super attack" gimmick that you can nullify with a item that you can easily buy.

its a fun extra layer. the item becomes less relevant the further u get, and no one is making you use them if you dont want to. opinion rejected.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bosses start barfing almighty attacks at you eventually so dampeners stop being useful past the midway point anyway

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

you can only carry 3 of any kind at once and you can't ever buy the best one (phys) so I don't get what's so broken about them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
3 is enough to bypass any gently caress up you may have made due to not preparing properly, and you can restock pretty easily in between. I could see how some die hards might see this as lowering the difficulty. But yeah you can just not use em. I always had em on hand because I suck and have a lot of others games to play

But then again, you could argue that getting the dampeners ahead of time was prepping properly

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wrex Ruckus posted:

you can only carry 3 of any kind at once and you can't ever buy the best one (phys) so I don't get what's so broken about them.

There's very few times where a save point and shop isn't relatively close to a boss so the limit isn't really a limit since your dps probably can easily get through a boss before it cycles its script a 4th time.

And it's not really prepping because its just remembering to refill at every save point for the pennies of macca they cost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would be more worried about dampeners if it wasn't a really common tactic in any give SMT game to go into fights with demon(s) that nullify the enemy's primary element or to bring in Attack Mirror/Magic Mirror or their primary counterparts. It isn't really changing much.

The Press Turn system rewards loving with weaknesses to such an excessive degree that bringing in one demon that nulls/absorbs usually completely cornholes a boss anyway. (Moreso if you are in a game where you can make that your protagonist.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
dampeners are very funny because you can correctly guess what element will be coming after a spyglass like, 75% of the time, but the remaining 25% of the time you just get utterly destroyed by the boss' magatsuhi if you rely on a dampener lol

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Yeah but the early game is the most fun in any SMT because of limited demon choices and past the mid point you're killing bosses way too fast for you to worry about any ultimate attack.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
no one is making you use them

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am like...not even remotely That Good at SMT games, and I managed to get through V without grinding Mitamas, or keeping the Same Demons Forever And Ever, and barely used Dampeners (I used one to let a weak to Ice set of demons with some set up moves survive a turn to perform said set up). And this is without any sense of real strategy in demon fusing besides "Ooooo dat one looks cool".

Some people got the brain worms real bad that if something is there it MUST be used, or they MUST grind.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

In Training posted:

yeah I was wondering if I had a defective copy or what because I was pretty sure about that too

the thing about V is it gives you many ways to be OP but you don't have to use any of them. It's one of the most flexible battle systems I've played, you can do just about anything you might want.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yo i just tried checking pascals stats in the cathedral of shadows in smt1 (gba) and the game froze, rip

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Personally I don't like games where you have way too many ways to break the battle system.

Inb4 stux says I don't actually have to use any of the game mechanics that make the game easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Personally I don't like games where you have way too many ways to break the battle system.

Inb4 stux says I don't actually have to use any of the game mechanics that make the game easy.

I enjoy games like that too but SMT has never really been that kind of franchise because it has been for a significant period of time built around creating your own customized monsters with a degree of freedom significantly greater than something like Pokemon. It's very much a franchise that is about figuring out ways to create ludicrous demons and occasionally it tosses you challenges that justify that. (And even then the highest-end challenges tend to require very specific builds and hard-counter a lot of the most obvious stuff.)

The more flexibility you give the player the more likely your game is going to be built around making builds. That isn't a huge problem as long as the game knows what it is doing and SMT has basically been trending towards focusing on that for a long time, with balance largely being focused around requiring a bit more forethought in how to get broken moves onto powerful demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Tired Moritz posted:

you dont. the game also has an exceptionally easy easy mode, and you seem to have managed not to use it, presumably because it wouldnt be fun for you. idk why its some kind of virtue to be so proud about making a game miserable for yourself instead of just not using things you dont find fun and using the ones you do. have some self control or at least dont complain about your self imposed misery.