Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So what's the word on the new soul hackers? I feel like the hype is nearly not existent?

Me, I'm just ecstatic that we're getting a new megaten game so quickly after V took forever to cook up. But I don't like the character designs at all, though I'm on board for comic book style demons.

My biggest concern is that it's going to feel like a filler/padded RPG without an interesting story at all. SMTV was really fun to play but oof that story was weak weak weak

Anyways, I'll probably get soul hackers 2 at launch, I had a good time with the persona. Q. Spin-offs so my tolerance for random filler is pretty high I guess. Hoping it ends up being a really good entry though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Stux posted:

the smt5 story was godlike

Meh I disagree. It feels like nothing was taken seriously or with any real gravitas and at the end of the day it just felt like a weird Saturday morning cartoon with no bite. People accused SMTIV of being a little too infantilised but even that game had more dramatic moments and fleshed out world building. Bruh that big reveal In IV, one of the best gaming moments ever

The lahmu stuff was also weird and irrelevant, gave me mad garlic Jr saga energy

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I was super excited at the end of V when the supposed main non-christian god antagonists appeared. Like holy poo poo they're going to actually have a relevant role in the plot! Apocalypse was leading up to this type of mix up gently caress YES

Nooope lmao massive wet fart. They have zero associated plot relevance, have nothing of interest to say, contribute absolutely nothing to the greater world. And the way they were implemented was just sloppy It felt like they ran out of dev time

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Stux posted:

they do have a relevant role in the plot. youre inability to pay attention is a personal failing.

Lore aside, why didn't they have a unique dungeon or environment or do anything at all other than just stand there like lovely side quests?

The preview for V years ago for example teased that Odin would have a bigger role. IV and IVA have their flaws but at least they are entertaining

V is still really fun to play but in many ways it's the botw of megaten and I don't say that as a high compliment

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm open to hearing your thoughts on why you disagree, because the way you make it sound I missed a lot of the game? I definitely enjoyed the game overall

It's a jrpg it's not that deep, which was kind of my problem with it. Megaten always has the coolest world building what happened here

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think it's pretty obvious that it's a nice mirror/parallel to 3

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Maybe, he was surrounded by downed demons so I was like oooh new hegemony?!

Nope not at all. I really wanted the last four gods before the end sequences to have their own dedicated arcs even if they were very short. Most sidequests were way more fleshed out

It just feels like a very thinned out two to three episode anime stretched out over a 70 hour RPG

Tired Moritz posted:

soul hackers 2 look pretty good tbh

I'm cautiously optimistic

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Some people are upset that you can't use demons in your party, but I'm still about it, fusing subpersonas in persona q actually owned

They need to introduce subpersonas into persona 6, and of course balance the difficulty to account for that. At that point you still have human party members, but you get the joy of monster catching/ using their skills with everyone, not just your main character

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think he's confusing themes with plot

The game has pretty cool themes. The plot is stupid. The characters are very, very stupid. Bordering on embarrassing

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That's a pretty good and introspective post, I think you make a good case for connecting a lot of the plot points and interactiobs to the major themes.

I still don't think the game did a fantastic job of making those themes present because some scenes/ transitions do feel rushed. If the gods were so critical, the four deities at the end really should have had more screen time!

Fwiw I think the focus on human social interactions in persona is pretty lame, I don't think this is as much a case of persona fans upset at megaten, rather megaten fans wanting a little more meat In what was set up to be a very interesting and visually striking setting

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Just saw some gameplay videos for soul hackers 2 and drat it!! It's going to be a hard pass for me

The battle music is lame, characters quip non stop and I got tired of the voice acting within literally the one battle I was watching. Hits don't seem to be very impactful, and it just looks...boring as poo poo. Oh yeah and your demons are just a little 2D cut out on top of your skills menu, why can't they materialize while you attack persona style?

Aside from that, the environment look really lame and it just has this incredibly low budget vibe to it just from the 5 minutes I saw.

There's something about it that feels really off, probably because it was made by that other yucky team. Oh well. I'm feeling pretty disappointed but I should have known better that we were getting a proper new entry so soon

Here's the video i saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZsAv4e4P8

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 19, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Motto posted:

atlus refuses to make new IPs that aren't vaporware or games in general that aren't SMT or Persona

That's fine. I'm really only interested in SMT and persona. Give me more drat it

ImpAtom posted:

They materialize during the Sabbath.

I saw that but I also already got sick of the sabath animation as well as the little animation that every little character does and I haven't even played the game :/

I don't know, It looks like it's going the direction that is 100% not my jam. I definitely don't want to play 50 hours of that video above

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

... so you want an SMT game where the characters don't repeat the same handful of animations over and over again throughout the entire game? Because my dude I have extremely bad news for you about SMT and especially Persona. (Looking at you All Out Attack.)

Like I have my fair share of problems with SH2 but we're talking about SMT here.

No, these particular animations are cringey and lame, these particular lines sound annoying

I've played all the other games, all the quips are annoying yeah, but they seem especially unbearable here. Regardless, the point stands for me. I know for a fact I don't want to play that game w those visuals/music/flow for 10 or 50 hours now that we have gameplay footage.

The whole point of megaten to me is that is still (kind of) cool despite being an RPG. This is uh...not that lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's true both are really terrible but at least persona has other redeeming qualities. I'm not sure I'm going to gel with this game in any capacity

E: LOOKING COOL JOKER LOOKING COOL JOKER

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Booky posted:

also can't you just mute the voices in sh2??

I'm sure you can, but something about the battles also feel low energy? Not having awesome battle music is an instant deal breaker for me

Well I guess I can always go back to play the older games. I haven't gotten around to yet. I need to check out the raidou games

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

feels like a lower budget version of the same basic concept. It's reusing models and animations from SMTV even.

Hmm.. Well that's part of the issue isn't it? It feels like a cheaper version of the games that I like with character designs, dungeon designs, and music that I don't think I'll enjoy

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The 2D battle format owns, I was playing strange journey recently and drat they're just so snappy!!

Nocturne and 5 are a little bit more sluggish, as are all the persona games but they still cool cats

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
3 is enough to bypass any gently caress up you may have made due to not preparing properly, and you can restock pretty easily in between. I could see how some die hards might see this as lowering the difficulty. But yeah you can just not use em. I always had em on hand because I suck and have a lot of others games to play

But then again, you could argue that getting the dampeners ahead of time was prepping properly

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Man im bummed

This soul hackers 2 poo poo is dire. Doesn't even feel like an smt game AT ALL. At least I saved 60 bux I guess

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Arist posted:

I don't think that poster has played it, which is funny

There's these things called gameplay videos, they're pretty neat.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really? I didn't see many reviews but it didn't seem that bad..What makes you say this

I don't know what it is about the battles, everything outside of that seems ok I guess. I showed footage to two friends last night who were really excited to get the game, after a few minutes they were like...why does this seem like a weird lovely mobile game? Why are the animations terrible?

Ymmv but I know I'm not the only one who was turned off by a few minutes of gameplay. I'm really not trying to just be negative, we were all excited to pick this up ASAP.

This feels like Tokyo mirage sessions with a light SMT paint job. Also wtf is up with those battle themes? Ugly stuff

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 20, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

I liked the aesthetic in the initial reveal trailers but from everything I've heard it's very mediocre so I'll get it when it goes on sale. Not a big fan of day-one story and character DLC and I don't want to reward that poo poo.

To me it just looks tedious, like it would feel like work to play. Boring dungeons, budget looking battles, and literally every reviewer has said that the environments are very repetitive

Unrelated, I wonder if the persona 4 port is going to run 60 frames on switch? Not a huge deal for an RPG but that would be a good reason for me to replay it instead of Royal

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SpiderLink posted:

I think at this point, you've spent more time complaining about this game than it would have taken to beat it. It's ok to not be excited about a game dude, just let it go.

It's ok to discuss the negative points of new products and it is not meant as a personal, attack aimed at you dude, just let it go.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SpiderLink posted:

It would be one thing if you had played the game and had legitimate complaints but you haven't. Look at your post history and see how many words you've written about a thing you haven't experienced. And while you're at it, take the time to examine whether your deflection strategy is helping you or hindering you.

Once again I'm fascinated at how personally you're taking my opinions like get over it dude.

If you think you need to play a video game to know for sure whether it's good or bad, that sounds like a personal problem, lack of analytical skills maybe. My criticisms are legitimate, based on what other reviews are saying and based on what my eyeballs are seeing in gameplay videos

You're acting like assessing a game's quality is this high and mighty artistic thing. Nah man the game looks like rear end and plays like rear end compared to any other game in the series, stop getting upset about my video game opinions. You talk about my posts "helping or hindering me" like I have some sinister agenda lol

Sakurazuka posted:

It's good actually

Glad you're having fun with it! I got Yakuza like a dragon for 10 bucks instead

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 7, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
A respectable approach

Imo unless you're a small toddler it's very easy to tell whether you're going to like a game just based on a few videos and impressions on the game flow/structure. It's harder to tell if you base it just on marketing or pre-release trailers, but that's a different matter.

Reviewers and critics are excellent resources as long as you treat them for what they are, another person's opinion. You can still glean a lot of useful technical information and gameplay details even if you don't entirely agree with the reviewers perspective or opinions

That sabbath animation *shudder*

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Right and I have to "tolerate" a lot of "annoying posts" because It's called different opinions over consumer goods, I don't know man maybe you should be more tolerant to different perspectives and don't worry about police toning the thread so much

I'll drop it but only because you're being a giant dork and this isn't fun for anyone.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's an RPG y'all, what you see is in. 30 min gameplay vid is exactly what you get especially when you're played other megaten games and know their game flow very well. Don't overcomplicate things just to further your points either!

That said yeah i agree that I don't have anything else to add so I hope you all have a good time w sh2. Ah one quick side note yep Yakuza 7 owns so far and I've played 0 - 2 so far but couldn't wait to jump into the jrpg one so I'm skipping all the others. I hope this wasn't a mistake but I'm sure it'll be fine

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This is incredibly dumb just FYI, especially if the 30 minute gameplay video is from the start of a game. You almost never have any actual idea of what a game's mechanics develop into 30 minutes into a game, let alone in an RPG. Almost every game out there keeps introducing new concepts and new mechanics for long chunks of time and there are games where entire major mechanics don't come into play until relatively late.

Even if the core mechanics are there you have no idea how they develop or change or evolve or what twists are thrown into the game. This is both positive and negative. You can have a combat system that is fun until they roadblock your fun with a crappy mechanic or you can have one that starts out slow until you get the Awesome poo poo that really makes it shine.

Like poo poo 30 minutes into SMT4 and you probably think it is an Etrian Odyssey clone.

Nah, you're purposely overcomplicating a very simple concept. I'll grant you that your example is a good one tbf because SMT4 does have that fun twist but still naraku does show off a ton of what the game pace/cadence is.

I could tell I was going to love that game just from previews easily. Contrast that to any RPG with lame battle animations or dumb music or really boring generic dungeons, and there's nothing that could really save it. I don't care what the story introduces or what mechanics they introduce if the basic experience is ugly or unappealing to me, sh2 aside.

There are so many RPGs with boring battles and bad dungeons. Soooo many. Being able to parse this from videos is pretty necessary but also imo v easy for figuring out what is or isn't worth playing, especially because of how long these games are! And for what it's worth, I watched more than one 30 minute video, I actually saw a ton of coverage and gameplay streams hoping to see something that would catch my interest!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 8, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
SMTV was pretty fuckin neat but it pains me to say this... I like persona 5 better.

Also, I wish SMTV ran better, they could have absolutely dialed down a lot of the effects and still kept the same aesthetic for a consistent frame rate so idk whats up

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That kind of captures the whole game pretty well. Nahobino looking sassy n cool in a boring rear end 80 hour backdrop

I liked it because I have a tolerance to empty and barren, mechanics-only RPGs, I wish I had liked it more tho. Maybe I'll reply it in hard mode soon and see how I like that

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Mechanically and visually it's pretty dense, but I had just finished playing through SMT 3 and 4 so I think I was a little bit burned out on the press turn system. It felt like battles were playing out exactly as they have been for two games, exact same weaknesses and resistances and strategies. This was especially apparent with big boss battles where they pretty much used the exact same moves they've been using for a decade. I guess the biggest difference is that now you have more counters in the form of items

Not sure if that's the fault of the game or on me for playing two other mainline games back to back before this one

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I would have also liked more hubs or meaningful locations in ruined Tokyo but a lot of the locales kind of blend in. Big shout out to the fairy village though that was on the right track

Compare that to smt3 or smt4 and it just feels like those games had more interesting locations with more interactions. Yes, there were a lot of sidequests in five but a lot of them just felt like they plopped a random demon model at a random part of the map.

One of the demons you fight is like the ultimate lord of evil (baal maybe?) and he's just chilling at a random hill? Okay? A lot of the demons feel outright replaceable and lacking personality or uniqueness compared to other entries, although I think this is always been a weaker point of the series considering the roster

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Stux is just ahead of his time/misunderstood like SMTV or Jesus of Nazareth

Hey wait, when are they going to let us fuse Jesus what the hell, we already got the Virgin Mary

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SpiderLink posted:

Does Messiah from P3 count?

Ohhh yeah that's close enough, I either forgot about it or I never fused it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
IVA was silly but IV was cool while still campy which older megaten games seem to be. I think the art style maybe put off people but I thought the tone itself felt proper megaten.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
reading = bad, fantasy anime powerful cartoon boy with racing stripes making dramatic poses = good

got it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
nothing will top the quality of dialogue featured in Persona Q

Sometimes I can't believe I really gave 100 hours of my life to that game. Man early pandemic was weird

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Stux posted:

in 10 years time the forums will be a different place. the brain geniuses who play a game where 90% of humans in a city are turning into literal npcs and disappearing and are unable to glean any significant meaning from how that could possibly reflect on the remaining humans within the story have taken over, and a new wave of retroactive evaluation has declared all smt games not a part of the smt4/persona/tms team/ds spin off alliance "boring" and "lacking real characterisation and narrative". in response atlus reveals their new title, smt 6. the core feature appears to be a regular human character joined to the mcs hip who talks like the clip of alloy from hzd 2, endlessly narrating everything on screen. anytime a moment or theme is hinted at the npc makes sure to speak aloud the suggestions, and if there is any ambiguity they explicitly lay out the creators intent to ensure players are not required to think or interpret anything that happens. every character is drawn in the most excrutiatingly generic anime style but with neon hair, and they talk constantly in memes and wheadon level puns. the thread erupts in a rapturous level of praise while in a dark alley i kneel on the floor, crying, as i embrace the cold barrel of a .45 with my lips after being permabanned for posting "themes are good, subtlety and nuance are virtues. anyone who disagrees should be run over with a steamroller" for the 50th time in a row.

Looks like you got stux'd pal

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I kind of get it, currently playing through persona 4 Golden and LMAOOOO there is no way in hell I'm doing any of these side quests, life is short and precious and beautiful

I mean other than the ones that are directly associated with the fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Nah man I got to go to bed