Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing smt iv for the first time, and have a dumb question that I can't find from googling.

I'm about to get to Tokyo for the first time. I can't beat David in the side quest. If I move the story forward, am I able to come back when I have better stats? This just seems insane when all the incidental grinding I did still has me 6 levels under him. And he can just wipe the party with his 2 turns at any time on top of that. Even after 4 evasion ups in one attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

You can definitely go back. Pretty sure you can go back at any time but my memory is pretty hazy.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My best friend played alot of Duke 3D early on, and that kinda got him to think steroids and stuff would be cool (I don't think he's ever done any though). And playing MGS1 back then got him to start smoking, and he started trying cigars when MGS3 came out.

I just think he's impressionable more than anything though.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alacron posted:

Did you guys not use play coins with Charon?

When I started out, I couldn't afford to pay with macca or play coins. I literally could not pay to get past the game over screen until after Naraku. And at that point I was just so conditioned to reset that I still don't even bother paying. I have no idea how I made so little with how many fights I constantly got in.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I thought Charon let you go on credit if you didn't have the cash?

Yeah, but I'm not gonna shake my sleeping 3DS to get 10 coins. I remember doing that for Animal Crossing, and it took more than a few minutes. I'm still better off just loading a save at that point.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Since Devil Survivor got brought up. I will say that it was my first SMT game (original, not overclocked), and it was very of off-putting. The grinding that you get to do does not help at all. I felt like I had to run it 20 times to get maybe a level and a half in the early game. And it felt like I was always under leveled for the "Win in this many turns" or "Protect this NPC" missions. I liked the story though. But the gameplay is absolutely my least favorite after I started playing others. So I'd say maybe they should wait a bit to try that one.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

And also occasionally your mc gets an unlucky one shot before you even take a turn

When I first started SMTIV, I got killed in the the very first fight in Naraku. It was stacked against me. 2 v 1, and too slow to attack. Really set the tone for when I would later wander into at least 3 different dens that had bosses 30-40+ levels higher than me (and the demons in the areas they are in), as I desperately just wanted to find whatever part of town I was supposed to go to so I could continue the plot :smithicide:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

Is there anyone who actually prefers SMT to Persona?

I honestly gave Persona a try a few times. Played 3 up until the train boss, and got bored with it after that. Even though I liked the concept of Tartarus. I'm playing P5R lately, and I'm bored with it. I'm on the default difficulty, so that's my fault. But the combat is just so boring. I can auto battle most things, including the third palace boss after the gimmick showed itself early on and was shut off. It just isn't for me.

Mainline SMT, on the other hand, feels like exactly the kind of thing I want. It's not "the moist brutal difficult thing on earth" like some people on other forums try to say it is. But it's fun to have to pay attention. When I first tried 4, I made the huge mistake of focusing all my app purchases on compendium stuff. I thought it would be way more important once I got to Tokyo and had access to way more demons. I had to start over, because I completely screwed myself with the apps, and it was too long of a grind to get enough points to fix it by the time I realized. But I like that the game allows you to put yourself in difficult situations like that. Even if other players would probably get by just fine with limited skill slots and stuff like that.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

laughing my rear end off that he's got resist wind

For some reason Wind is Sonic's element. In the Sonic RPG, he used wind skills. Guess what everything in the entire game is resistant to.

Kinda disappointed it's movie Sonic going by that tweet. I would have tried the mobile game again if it wasn't. But I guess that makes more sense for an SMT setting. Both being a live action version of him, and also him looking slightly more passable as some kind of cryptid based on someone just describing him to someone else.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This changes everything. :staredog:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Don Gato posted:

I like how SMTV's protagonist has what looks like a lovely quarantine haircut he gave himself, because on my first day back from quarantine my attempt to make my hair look less like a hobo ended up looking similar.

This is the one thing that disappoints me about the transformation thing. I thought the quarantine cut in the older trailer was such a great idea. And I'm sad to see it'll go so quick.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

And that special edition is still sold out everywhere, huh.

I know this is going to sound dumb. But have you tried going to order it at a store in-person? I pre-ordered at a gamestop a few days ago. And I was literally the only person in my city to ask for the game. They guy working there had never even heard of it. So they had a full stock of the special edition. However many the store is allocated, anyway.

I only got the steel book copy myself, because I'm not paying double price for a pdf collection, and a pencil case on a strap. But it seems like they're still very available some places.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RubberLuffy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnKEU9LR5Rk

The other day they posted the video of the demon based on the Filipino floating torso vampire woman and it's suitably gross

This design rules. It'll probably end up being one of those demons I keep in my party forever in later play throughs.

edit: okay, the butt rubbing idle animation thing is a little weird. But I like everything else.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

Good, I'm glad that this game is not acting as a Persona substitute to those who wish it were.

:same:

Some of the trailers made it seem like the story was going to have alot of shift toward warming persona people up to smt. And I just really don't want the 2 to become too similar. I only get a mainline game once every 100 years decade or so. Just let me have them.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I can't answer for 100% sure to be honest. I was able to choose from three paths clearly but there are four pips for endings on the save file so it is possible there is something I missed.

From a few pages back, but...

I think the extra ending is one of the "you can only access certain features on a New Game+ run" things that they mentioned in the megaten news videos.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good old Gun (if available), Agility, and Luck build. Nothing beats that. But I'll be going Strength and probably Agility in V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just beat the first boss on my second try. Lost the first time because I was mainly scouting what it's element affinities were. But the second time it went pretty easily. After beating it, I saw that it was only level 15, which is kinda weird. I thought me being at 13 and my demons at 9 and 10 would have made that way harder than it was. But I guess I'm used to the den bosses in 4 that were literally twice my stats when I kept getting lost trying to figure out what the hell any area of the city was.

But I love this game so much so far, and this will probably be my favorite in the series by the time it's over. I can't wait to see where the story goes. Anyway, that's my extremely important opinion post thanks for reading.