Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Innocent Sin has a subplot about how Lisa is a school idol and with her friends they form an idol group and have an anime song.

Her subplot is that she's a blonde american japanese girl who doesn't know english and is expected to sing a solo piece totally in english.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Make lunch, invite friend to your lunch, increase S.link points with them.

Other things had different effects like increasing stats or making you sick.

The fridge things were for quickly leveling Courage.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

asvodel posted:

In the original P3 you don't need to do any such thing to unlock Monad, so it is easy to grind a bit for the final boss there. It is the one advantage of the original over FES
Monad is just a palette swap of Thebel with harder enemies than what can be found in the rest of Tartarus, the only other thing there is the secret super boss.

You can find the "ultimate" weapons for the characters in Monad.
I'm adding quotes since with weapon fusion, they aren't that mighty anymore.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's basically anime and anime is always weird.

I really wish people would stop saying this.

theblackw0lf posted:

Are the fusions the same in both IS and EP?

And are the personas generally the same?

There's about twenty times as many fusion spells in EP as in IS. and they have mostly the same compendium, but with different art and there are some personae that are exclusive to each game. (there's only one CUSTOM persona in EP for example.)

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 16, 2014

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

tithin posted:

He's doing the Snow Queen questline.

Thanatos Tower is one of the four towers you need to do in order to complete that quest. It's gimmick, as per the name, is instant death.

It is very hard. It is also timed.

It's also minimum lv 50, so unless you know how to use the contact system right, you are loving done.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

oblomov posted:

I think one of the DLCs basically lets you grind cash. I don't remember how early you can start but I think early enough that you can use it before mid-game.

Bare minimum for Money Makes the Underworld Turn, Death has it's Applications and Experience of the After life is about Lv 20, which is when the Mitima can be consistently beaten.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

It's a bad game.

It's a decent game. People give it a hard time because some of the maps are just plain torture to get through.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
You can also fuse one.

Strogii X Angel
or
Centaur X Bilwis

are two cheap fusions for it.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

persona 2 (both) did that as well. hadnt been done since until smt4!

its not going to be A Thing

Shin Megami Tensei 2 called, they said they did it all first.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, but using all the default names would give you a ton of Law points.

Well you're following the rules if you accept the default names, so yeah you get law points for agreeing.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

It only gets easier from there. Don't worry.

Don't lie to the poor boy.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
For some reason I get the feeling he's fighting the urge to look up her microdress.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
From what I saw of the Break Record trailer, there are animated cutscenes, one of them apparently being Fumi beating Trumpeter silly with a closed laptop.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Strange Journey was going to be a mainline game, but they decided it wasn't at some point. I seem to remember it was because it doesn't take place in Tokyo.

The requirements for a SMT game to be a Main series game are as follows:

1. Human Companions who are also the alignment heros.
2. YHVH and Lucifer as the Law/Chaos Masters.
3. It *MUST* take place in Tokyo
4. DEMONSDEMONSDEMONS.
5. ALIGNMENT CHOICES.

projecthalaxy posted:

OK, neat. I didn't realize that Nocturne was SMT 3. It's good to know I won't have to pick up any of the DLC, but I will probably get the farmable EXP and Money ones because I'm a huge scrub who needs every advantage.

It's called Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. How can you not notice that?

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 2, 2015

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Because it's not called that outside of Japan? The III was dropped for the NTSC-U and PAL release.

Really? I never noticed.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

On the other hand, in SMT2 Satan was the Law route figurehead and YHVH is the final boss on every route.

Ok that was an oversight on my part. While YHVH is the overall Law Figurehead, he himself has lessers that act in his stead in the games.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Excels posted:

does she call you 'big bro'

If the P4 hero is the main hero, I believe she does.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

rediscover posted:

basically i'm looking for something i can emulate. persona 2 is on my list

why not buy the Psp remake of Persona 2?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

littleorv posted:

Can anyone give me some advice for Soul Hackers? I've been sent to the warehouse to look for something and my party keeps getting skull hosed by the random encounters there.

Edit: It's after the first dungeon if that makes it more clear.

Did you equip the insulated clothes? They resist ice damage.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Alright, vanilla Persona 4 here, trying to fuse Trumpeter. I'm wanting to get both Mind Charge (for the Empress s. link) and Victory Cry (because it's awesome especially if I'm going to be casting Megidola a lot) on it but it's just not happening. Is there some hidden fusion rule that keeps certain skills from not appearing together? Also, why does Stagnant Air come up so much?

Trumpeter inherits ailments I think. But you should just keep rolling the dice you might get them all, I've hear people rolling the dice for three hours trying to get the skills they want.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Excels posted:

they could have done that, if they hadn't ruined kanji by giving him black hair.

He bleaches his hair, he always had black hair.

W.T. Fits posted:

Dancing All Night takes place after Arena and Ultimax, but before the epilogue from Golden.

Ultimax takes place during the epilogue of Golden.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Excels posted:

i am aware, he should never not bleach it

He was moving away from his hooligan look.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
They're just slightly easier when you're Lv 99 with the best armor, weapon and demons.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
The original teaser released all those moons ago was basically hyping the game with having *ALL* of the Megaten Protagonists from 1-4 against the FE lords. And now it's this.... whatever this is. Which I agree is really stylish, but it's nothing that people were originally hoping for.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

The fact that the final boss doesn't feature Nanako performing the sweet final Guitar Solo is a goddamn travesty

Nanoko doesn't... go into the tv world, she helps from outside.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

ajkalan posted:

I started up Nocturne the other day and got to the forced fight with a Preta before you pick up your first Demon. It dodged four of my attacks, critted me at least three times, forced me to use the two medicines I had and then it killed me. lol

Did you pick hard mode?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Justice, what else?

I just saw this while looking back on the insanity I missed when I left this thread along time ago. But Judge Dredd is not Justice.

He's Judgement

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Dehry posted:

Atlus Tax

I swear to god, the next person who uses ATLUS Tax seriously...

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

littleorv posted:

What would you call it? It's the loving Atlus tax.

I'd call it the price of a translated game.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Delsaber posted:

Whoever did the voice of the cat in Sabrina the Teenage Witch should be the cat in P5.

But... the cat in P5 is female...

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Tae posted:

I just finished Grandia 3, I don't see what's so terribly written about it. It's generic, and a little abrupt at the end but it's harmless. poo poo writing is something like Watch_Dogs or Valkyria Chronicles 2.

main character's mother, and a guest who was a party member for several hours just loving VANISH OFF THE FACE OF THE PLANET and it's not addressed at all by anyone.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Hey did Devil Survivor 2 (the 3ds one) ever change price? I wanted to play it but not badly enough for Atlus Tax price.

I swear to god, stop loving calling it that.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I like the new personas but what's the connection between the opera Carmen and cats

I think it might have something to do with Carmen being manipulative in her story

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Ann's already confirmed for Fire Girl, though.

Perhaps Goemon blows smoke out of the pipe as wind.

Goemon uses ice magic.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Really Pants posted:

I've never actually heard Hatsune Miku before today and I have to say she is kind of terrifying

well, all she is is a vocal bank in a music synthesizer.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

PeaceDiner posted:

There's a whole new scenario with Tatsuya, plus general game improvements like speed options during battle and a fast-forward option during event scenes.

Also, new persona and equipment.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Did you hear? Jonathan's demons are a bit different

But have you been beholden to Walter's demons?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Sega has completed its acquisition of Atlus and will publish future Atlus games in the US in tandem with Atlus USA, including P5.

Really the biggest thing to come from this is that Atlus USA can help Sega bring more niche games like Yakuza and Project Diva to America easier.

I remember reading after Sega acquired ATLUS and Index they didn't change a drat thing, nor did they fire anyone, or cancel any projects they were doing. Sega Knows when they get a hot commodity.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
From what I can tell of the trailer. Kung Fu 3.0.0 girls persona IS the motorcycle, which looks to be based on an Iron Maiden.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

It'll be a pretty big narrative misstep to not include LGBT characters when the protagonists are supposed to be kids that feel like outsiders, IMO.

Japan isn't america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

japan had an openly trans politician in a fairly major office like 8 years before america did, tho to be fair when she fights she fights alone, she's done everything she can, there are no more heroes left in man

there are about 300 gay bars in tokyo and they've existed for a long while.

there's a wave of small areas in japan recognizing same-sex couples:

Shibuya, Tokyo (2015)
Setagaya, Tokyo (2015)
Iga, Mie (2016)
Takarazuka, Hyōgo (starting June 2016)
Naha, Okinawa (starting 17 July 2016)

just last there was a large campaign for sapporo, the fourth largest city in japan, to recognize same-sex couples, and they got a significant number of petitions

a string of polls conducted from 2012-2016 showed that public opinion in japan was shifting from slightly against homosexual marriage (52% against it, 42% for it, rest undecided or for some other form of recognition) to slightly for homosexual marriage (59% for it in one poll, 53% for it in another)

LGBT rights are a hot button issue in japan right now, and it's gaining steam, especially after the legalization of gay marriage in the US. making a game about current issues affecting youth in japan without even giving it a glance would be weird and inaccurate

What I mean is that as a game, it's about escapism. People hate having current events in their games because it's annoying. On top of all that, while the gay rights movement might be gaining steam. People in japan are still resoundingly traditionalists. Ericka in Catherine was a novelty. mostly because all those characters were adults and they can go that way if they want, but persona games largely deal with teenagers.