Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Soul Hackers was my very first 3DS game, I got maybe 1/3 or 1/2 way into it but I got very distracted by Etrian Odyssey and hadn't touched it in almost 3 years. But I started a new game yesterday...

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to something. Since I hadn't played the game in a long time, I got 999 D-Souls when I logged into Nemechi the first time. (plus 200 for reading the tutorial). But I reloaded from a save after that because there was a fusion I wanted to do differently.
I didn't get them back when I logged into Nemechi after reloading the save...... I guess I am permanently screwed out of getting them? Outside of spending Play coins?
Does anyone know for sure?

I really wish SMT games didn't make the Hard difficulty make everything cost more money. It's why I have never played through Nocturne on hard even though I've put tons of hours into it and it's my favorite RPG other than EO series. It doesn't really add any difficulty, just tedium of grinding.

I still don't really care for this game even though I played through most of the old SMT and Persona games years ago. Maybe tastes just changed over time....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, I think you're outta luck. If you've got a physical copy of the game and access to two 3DSes, you can always rack up D-Souls fast by setting up StreetPass on both of them.

I don't really care since it's an optional feature, it's just pretty poor design that it takes all the D-souls automatically and doesn't warn you about stuff like this.
If I decide to use it, I can use my play coins.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really want a game that has the great atmosphere and interesting stories of the first two games with the sleeker gameplay of the more recent games. Alas, it shall never be.

I thought that SMT IV, outside of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado stuff, had a lot of the feel of the original games and their setting. But the story felt a bit half baked...
I think a lot of the appeal of the atmosphere and story-telling of the original games is a side-effect of the fairly technologically primitive and minimal presentation.. it lends everything a certain weird creepiness. And similarly a lot of my favorite twists and moments in the original SMTs work because they're presented using gameplay in a really old and simplistically programmed game rather than through heavy use of cutscenes and dialogue. I am thinking of the nuclear blast and time-skip, and the Chaos Hero fusing with a demon in SMT1 and finding Valhalla inside Abaddon and the "back door" of Arcadia in SMT2.

The closest SMT IV got to a really cool twist was your first arrival in Blasted Tokyo. It was a real "what the hell just happened?" moment, but it feels retroactively undercut in that the whole detour into Blasted and Infernal Tokyo feels pretty pointless outside of the very convoluted time travel/parallel universe plot.

I think that is related to a question of differing standards between older games with minimal story-telling and modern games which are filled with copious dialogue. SMT 1 and 2's stories aren't actually great but they have a fair amount of memorable moments due to the way the story is told.... whereas SMT4 has a ton of dialogue and cut-scenes in service of a story which comes off as a lot less memorable.

Of course it's a commonly held opinion but I think Nocturne has the best balance of cool atmosphere/story and modern playability.

I was thinking today, I'd personally love to see a new Raidou Kuzunoha with an actual good budget and modern engine, but that won't happen either

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 4, 2016

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Hivac posted:

Don't worry pure, komori broke the silence to give us the news that there will be more news in spring :v:

And they said with that one also that the game is almost completely done

Once actual information get s announced though, I like the short PR cycle of Atlus games.. longer PR cycles can be tiring

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The original translation of EP is fine except for them not hitting a consistent spelling of all the spell/item names until Nocturne.

Though it's surprising to see Atlus USA passing up localization of an SMT game, they hadn't done it since the PSP version of Devil Summoner I think. (And the version of Nocturne with Raidou in it also I suppose)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

oblomov posted:

That was a great deal. Would be a no brainer to pick up both games if they did it again.

That said FE# looks pretty crazy in a good way and I am going to pick it up unless Nintendo launches again. P5 or FFXV. There are some reports of the disk version having crazy drive loads so eshop on this one might be better.

It'd make a lot less sense for #FE though, since both FE:Awakening and SMT 4 were on the 3DS... it would be a bit odd to have a cross-promotion between a Wii U and 3DS title

I saw a big display for #FE in the local game store the other day, but the one for SMT 4 Final was bigger...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

TurnipFritter posted:

There is a functioning world map this time. Not only can you actually see where you are going, the bottom screen lists location names. Destination markers also appear on the map to show you where to go.

The only good thing about SMT 4's map is that its weird and confusing nature gave you more time to listen to the awesome map music, which is the best map theme in the series next to Soul Hackers and the endgame of Persona 3...

TurnipFritter posted:

Haha, just kidding, look forward to Etrian Odyssey 5 news in March kids!

Totally OK with that, as much as I want Persona 5 I want EO5 just as much and will probably like it a lot better in the end

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Kobogartimer posted:

Nocturne's music is awesome and features the vocal stylings of Albert, one of the voice selections of an ancient Apple speech synthesizer.
Here he is included in OS X at 20 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAOpGl3T5g0

I have a frog in my throat
And his cousin Whisper was in Soul Hackers and Lain.....

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Apologies if someone already pointed it out in the thread a long time ago but....
It looks to me like Persona 5 will have another dungeon which is an otherworldly version of the school, like Tartarus from Persona 3. I was looking at it in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_0Ql49z_0c which also has a bit of gameplay footage that I had never seen before.
Around 0:44, one of the windows of the castle resembles the double chevron design on the school uniforms. And in the next shot the word school can be seen on the left side of the door.

If the dates in the other footage are any indication, it looks like it will be the first dungeon of the game, assuming a linear progression of about 1 dungeon a month like P3 and 4 had.
I guess it isn't surprising since Persona 4 was the only game in the main Persona series without a school based dungeon.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
A sort of cool thing, I just found out through coincidence that Amami City from Soul Hackers is based on a real city Amami on a small island north of Okinawa

The main difference being that the map is flipped horizontally
[url]https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/Amami,+Kagoshima+Prefecture/@29.2250508,127.7169166,6.25z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x351fbbabe3d54b63:0xc2603e4cb2c6e161?hl=en[url]
compared to

The airport is even in the same place if memory serves.

Does anyone know about other cities in SMT which are based on real locations aside from the really obvious ones like Tokyo?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only city/town in Persona not based on a real place is Mikage. IIRC

Where are Sumaru City and Iwatodai based on then I wonder?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Motto posted:

From what I've seen it doesn't play as hard into its social sim elements as Persona. Your crew and other NPCs have sidequest chains that unlock stuff, but you won't be mananging time or leveling social stats to access them.

Neither did Persona 1 and 2, or any of the million things that came out after Persona 4

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

Speaking of DDS, would anyone happen to know if the sync problem with the PS2 classics version of Digital Devil Saga happened to be fixed at some point? I tried looking it up but everything I see is from when it first came out so I'm going to assume no.

Is that the really really slow loading of the models for the character's demon forms? During start of battle, level up etc.
I got that also

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

HGH posted:

It's going to release 5 hours before FFXV out of spite.

EDIT: New Satan artwork in SMT4F is pretty cool.

It's cool but he's got literally the exact same legs as Arsene from Persona 5, and pretty much the exact same hands and arms also. Which is a bit weird

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Baal posted:

FFXV has a release date

I know it's cool to say P5 is never coming out but P5 has more of a release date than FFXV, one is "summer 2016" and the other is just "2016"

Wark Say posted:

Now, if you don't mind: AMERICA'S/EU RELEASE FOR SMT IV FINAL WHEN, ATLUS?

I really want to play P5 but it's too bad that it will likely push back the English releases of EO5 and possibly even SMT4 Final

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Moltrey posted:

I'm feeling Strange Journey isn't My Thing so I'm considering moving on to SMT IV and wow am I really stoked at the idea of finally playing an SMT made in this decade.

Though it has worse graphics than the previous SMT from last decade...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SMT4 looks ok imo. The sprites and animations are decent, and when there are 3D models they're not terrible. They rely a lot on sprites for the storytelling but so did Persona 3 and 4.

Oh I think SMT 4 looks fine, and it feels like exploring an actual city more than any of the older SMTs where the level of specific details wasn't really there
And the sprites don't bother me because I played SMT 1 and 2 and it feels more like a continuation of those games rather than Nocturne.

It's just sort of funny to talk about ones made in this decade when the technology is actually inferior to the ones made in the last decade

Moltrey posted:

I hear SMT IV is Pretty Alright and I'm excited to be a sawmooreye

SMT 4 is pretty alright though it has a really messed up difficulty curve and the huge number of demons/lack of any skill inheritance rules sounds good but it means all the demons feel totally interchangeable

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Baal posted:

It just got leaked that FFXV's coming out in September 30th by gematsu

Before you continue being unfunny, yes 2016's September 30th. Also Summer of 2016 is as much of a release date as Winter 2014 and Winter 2015 were.

OK I hadn't heard that yet sorry. So I thought what release date

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

PeaceDiner posted:

Speaking of Persona 2... Was there any official comment or explanation given about why they decided to have only the protagonist be able to summon other Persona in 3 and 4? Was there some kind of technical reason, or was it a story reason? The larger cast of characters probably factors in, which is another design choice I'm interested in.

The message in 1 and 2 seemed to be "everybody has several different masks they use." People are better at some than others (which is why characters had different arcana compatibilities), but they can be switched at will depending on the situation and people involved. Different masks are picked up throughout life and through your meetings with different people (or demons, in this case), and sometimes you have to work a little bit harder to get some.

Persona 3 kinda threw that message into the wind and made it so only certain people could change their mask at will, while others were stuck with theirs until a certain situation occurred. But the way characters interact with each other already shows them putting on different masks - for example, the way Yukari interacts with Mitsuru and the way she interacts with the protag are strikingly different at both the beginning of the game and towards the end of the game.

I'll stop before this turns into a dumb effortpost, but I am interested in the exact reasoning behind the switch. I hope that the next Persona will return to the Persona system from P1 and 2.

I like to think it was a gameplay design decision for which they later came up with a story justification...
The Persona 1/2 system, especially in Persona 2, became kind of cumbersome where I would just shuffle the personas between the characters every turn in order to spam a fusion spell in every round. Especially when you can gain a lot of turns via the one more press system, it works better and balances the game to have only one character who can switch personas once per turn. And even then the MC is very overpowered due to easily being able to make a persona with a wide elemental spread.
Also the Social link mechanics introduced in P3 only really make sense with one character. And the persona limitations let them have more available characters while giving them a significant difference from each other. Not to mention the dumb P3 mechanics of having all of the other characters be AI controlled.
I found the p3/4 system to be more enjoyable to play than P1/2, so I don't really mind the change.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

No mention of 'Smirks'

The green face on the lower right

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Is there a source video this GIF comes from? It wasn't in the main trailer right ?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Thanks.... my fault for seeing that but just assuming it was the same interview with game footage that got taken down a few months ago..

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

LostRook posted:

I decided to finish all the endings for SMT IV for the save transfer bonuses, and I figured I'd 100% the compedium while I was at it. Holy poo poo that was a mistake. It feels like the game was designed to aggressively punish completionists.

What are the save transfer bonuses?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Megami Tensei Megathread -- Demons.... Angels... why is it always like this??

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Based on previous years what are the chances that Atlus USA will announce the English release date for Persona 5 at E3? (And EO5 while we are at it)

I don't remember much about past Atlus E3 presence aside from the year they were inviting awkward nerds to dance at their booth as promotion for Dancing All Night.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Item Getter posted:

Based on previous years what are the chances that Atlus USA will announce the English release date for Persona 5 at E3? (And EO5 while we are at it)

Now i wish they hadn't

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Wondering if the Niconico stream today will have anything different, or if it's the same as we saw from the leaked videos of the booth.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The mystery guy on the Persona 5 box art showed up in the Niconico stream, his name is Akechi Kogoro (name of a detective from Japanese literature) and is described as a Detective Prince (isn't this the same title as Naoto?) who is after the Phantom Thieves. He appeared being interviewed on what looks like an in-game shot of a variety TV show set and was introducing the trailer shown at E3.

I am not very good language wise so it might not be entirely accurate.

edit: Also I guess we know now that the "Adieu" thing isn't a special move but Haru's battle results screen, it looks from the trailer today like each character has a unique battle results screen if they finish with an all-out attack, in addition to the generic one with the main character running. The "show's over" thing we have seen must be the one for the main character.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 15, 2016

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
There will be another Persona 5 event on July 19th
edit: There was a bit of new gameplay footage showing the shop keeper characters also.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 15, 2016

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Constr posted:

Persona 5 looks really exciting and fast paced so I bet it'll be excellent but I don't have a PS4.

I am probably not the only one getting a PS4 just for this game...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

English version was confirmed to be PS4 only? I thought it was both

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is a dumb complaint for the SMT thread isn't it? You don't call it Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne: MANIAC EDITION you just refer to it as Nocturne, or SMT: Nocturne at most.

It's just TMS #FE. Or just #FE

Excuse me but it's called "Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne: MANIAC EDITION featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series"
Now I need to go back to playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon

cdyoung posted:

The look like the classic rider deck

I am kind of surprised at how the tarot cards became more classic given the more stylized direction of the rest of the game.
They're not bad though, although I don't really like the huge size and style of the text. Even though I love the typeface design of the rest of the game.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
edit: double post

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MrAristocrates posted:

The SMT title hasn't been used since Persona 4, so they actually dropped it with Persona 3 Portable. Persona 1 and 2 didn't have the label either, so 3, FES, and 4 were the only games with it.

e: oh you edited that out

e: oh, I was wrong, all the PSP versions have it too, including P3P.

I edited it out because I hit quote instead of reply and didn't feel like fixing it.

Yeah I'm aware about Persona 1 and 2, though of course Persona 1 had its own "Revelations" title which was used in a whole one other game.
They looked fine on the box art but they always looked awkward in store listings and so on.
And I am probably making it up but I swear talking to a guy in Gamestop back in 2006 like,
"Hi I would like to order Persona 3" "sorry I can't find that" "Sorry I mean shin megami tensei persona 3" "oh there it is"

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Make a remake of SMT IV except the Eastern Mikado guys are Fire Emblem characters

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah, I wonder if people would have reacted a lot better to the game if they had announced it as Persona x Fire Emblem instead, since it's a lot closer to the real product.

e: And then they could have just stuck with the Persona terminology and so forth instead of naming the Personas after a Mac desktop model from the 90s

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 18, 2016

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MrAristocrates posted:

Don't worry, I just ended up buying two copies because my Wii U doesn't have enough space to download it

e: oh lol never mind the Wii U UI is just awful at telling you a thing is downloading

Breaking news: #FE sales have jumped 200%

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Maybe it was changed in some difficulty levels of P3P, but the balancing of Persona 3 is really weird and screwed up when it comes to bosses.

The story bosses which appear on the full moon and have a huge amount of story build-up to them are almost always ridiculously easy,
but the floor bosses in Tartarus which are just palette swaps of normal enemies and appear with no fanfare are much harder and can often be pretty difficult.
I can only guess it's due to the fact that the full moon bosses have like an hour of cutscenes between the boss fight and the last time you were able to save. But that's a pretty silly thing.

Persona 4 fixed this difficulty balancing.

Tartarus in Persona 3 is basically completely disconnected from the main plot of the game. But you can generally easily clear the whole section for the month in an in-game day or two, outside of the mechanic of your characters getting tired. So there is no real reason not to.

The full moon bosses are usually trivially easy but they do assume that you are at the level you should be at from going through the whole area of Tartarus for that month.
You don't have to actually get to the top of the section of Tartarus to fight the full moon boss though.
The only reward for doing so IIRC is a series of one-sentence documents which vaguely hint at the story of the game.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah if it's because of that, I guess adding the time rewind feature in P4 (which I forgot existed) allowed them to not have to worry about that.
It's always such a narrative disconnect though especially since every day for a week people are always saying "It's almost the full moon, are you ready? It's almost the full moon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So the Persona 5 stream Monday and Tuesday is going to be 24 hours long, but I am probably safe just tuning in for the last hour or so right? I will just be missing 23 hours of bear sexual harassment