Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Crotch Bat posted:

Took a death in the Wind Temple but still 3 minutes ahead. Risking it all now with the water. 2900 viewers at almost 4 AM EST. :stare:

Oh man this is nuts. There's enough time later on that he can still get a WR, but a lot of stuff like this happening has got to be taking its toll on his focus.

e. The time to make up is a trick to skipping floors in the savage labyrinth on Outset Island.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ZFG1 got the Majora's Mask 100% World Record, check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-TgXz2A79Y

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I've begun injecting myself into the SRL community. Right now I'm trying to get good at Majora's Mask by playing a bunch of bingos while working on getting a solid run for Power Rangers the movie for SNES. I also recently competed with one other person for the world record in Rom Check Fail, An indie PC game which can be described as ADHD meets your rom folder. http://www.twitch.tv/seckswrecks/b/331907446

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

HST is doing a no damage OoT run with the JP glitchless ruleset on top of that. I can't even fathom the testicular fortitude involved in this feat. http://www.twitch.tv/hisato232

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Speed isn't really a factor, but Gerfuggery is playing all 6 of the first and second gen pokemon games at once.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Cosmo is racing Siglemic in Majora's Mask. I usually avoid both of them but I think everyone's seen what happened last time they did this.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Bunch of cool kids you probably never heard of put together a marathon so that you might hear of them. http://www.twitch.tv/tsamarathon

Things have been a little rough around the edges with the technical side of this, but It's understandable considering no one has any experience with this kind of thing.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The SRL community is having a field day with the "Mario 64" caption for that picture.

On the idea of e-sports I think the idea of SRL having ladder resets and qualifiers for a big tournament/social event that would tour around the country much like MLG would be awesome, but without the developers of the games spending the big bucks on events like you have with e-sports for modern games it's just not going to happen.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

There is only one answer to the question of what to speedrun, Shut Up And Jam.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Shabadu posted:

Omnigamer has run some Congo's Caper before, which is the Japanese Joe and Mac 2. It's a really cool game with some neat tricks.

https://www.twitch.tv/kakka_rot recently started peppering in runs of Congo's Caper with his usual nightly MGS2 runs/silliness. He's a little bit off omni's time, but he is showing great progress in sticking with it. Though he is going to go all out on Fatal Frame for February, so he might lose it all.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

scary ghost dog posted:

I think a Diablo 3 speedrun would be very interesting. Naturally it would be run on normal difficulty so stats are a nonissue and the focus would be a build that lets you move as quickly as possible through an act and the ability to douse out the exits to levels really quickly.

I was thinking it would be fun to find a copy of unpatched torchlight 2 and use the glitch that let you steal from stores to just buy your way right through the game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who is Keeta and why does twitch hate him?

Twitch.TV/mikkayla69
He got his first account, Kaztalek, banned from twitch because he violated their terms of service. iirc he was steaming one of those random webcam chat sites.

These days he still does quite a few non gaming streams and was in fact banned and then unbanned by twitch just the other day.

oh yeah, he is also pretty much responsible for the current route for Majora's Mask 100% and knows more about that game than pretty much any other runner of it.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 9, 2013

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

http://www.twitch.tv/cgn0

CGN just took the World Record for F-zero GX story mode on very hard by 2 whole minutes. If you don't make it in the next 20 or so to catch the run, do yourself a favor and check out the past recording. F-zero GX includes a glitch known as "shift boosting" where you intentionally drive off the edge of the track, only to dash back onto it again like 2 frames later. Most people see tracks in this game without rails as scary, he sees them as a way to go fast. He uses them in chapter 2 to get a time that is something like 4 seconds faster than anyone else in the world can.

e. http://www.twitch.tv/cgn0/c/1792602 His record for an Individual Level run of Ch. 2

ee. http://www.twitch.tv/cgn0/c/1934835 His whole single segment run in handy hilight form for the convenient melting of minds

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 17, 2013

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

piratepilates posted:

Now you need to do playthroughs of the other games on the engine, including such gems as "Ethnic Cleansing" and a game made by Hezbollah about Israel being the satan or something.

Hezbollah made a game? I need this in my life.

In case those F-zero links the other day got anyone in the mood for spacecars going stupid fast with midimetal blasting, you can head over to the F-Zero Central team page and pray that someone is actually live. Or just hit up The main site to check out all kinds of ladders for all sorts of F-zero games. Be sure to check the teampage out on fridays when the english SRL guys do their "friday night f-zero" races.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 19, 2013

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Ohvee posted:

Sinister1's split tracker seems super accurate when he's running MTPO. Does it hook into the game so he doesn't manually have to change to the next split or something?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is someone editing them for him on a fancy spreadsheet with math and stuff. The MTPO community uses the gametime of each fight added up because of how much sitting around waiting to punch stuff there is in the game, so traditional split timers would be really complicated to use.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ennopp112 Just beat his WR in Majora's Mask 100%. He was on pace for breaking 5:30 but some stuff near the end of the run netted him a 5:32:56. I say anyone who runs 3d zelda 100% should give a run a shot today cause it's a pretty good follow up to SVA's run earlier.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Pykn Is currently on a not so hot run in the oh so hot game Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. I have no idea what's going on except the japan is cranked to 11 and I'm loving every minute of it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

JAssassin posted:

So what's the policy on posting your own stream when you're going to run?

people seem to do it all the time. I haven't yet, but that's mostly because I wouldn't subject you guys to my stream.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

mfcrocker posted:

I race BoI with Rane every so often and despite what he thinks he's really quite bad at the game. Hell of a loving attitude too.

If I lived in America I'd happily turn it into a race just to drink those sweet rage tears.

That would be awesome, considering BoI is one of those games where the World Record run is nowhere near as entertaining as a race. Maybe I should offer up a run or 30 of Rom Check Fail. At least in that game you can manipulate the RNG to feel like a real speedrunner.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Yeah, trying to make a perfectly even playing field in that game just isn't going to happen. Doing a best 3 out of 5 match would probably be the best way to determine a winner based on skill level and not diceroll luck. Of course that could end up taking 7 hours if the luck is bad enough.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Speaking of ridiculous race goals Xiah, Gohan and Akikan are racing 2x 0 star. Gohan just finished his first run, putting him almost caught up to the other two players attempting the SBLJ that makes this category so unpopular for races.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Yeah my favorite part about Iateyourpie's stream is when he gets into debates with people, says that he would rather the community for a game be a small elitist group of people who ran it before it was popular and then discredit the other person's opinion because "Bro, do you even get 100 viewers?"

Don't get me wrong, pie is a talented and dedicated speedgamer, but if he really wanted to just compete with the small group of friends in a particular game then he should ignore other people's times.

but enough importing drama, let's post some links to some streams.

Znernicus who ran Portal 2 at AGDQ 13, is doing Donkey Kong 64 101% a 7 hour run full of everyone's favorite parts about Rareware games on the n64, minigames and collectables.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 23, 2013

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I could be wrong but this sounds like something some people would call a ~joke~.

He was trying to make the point that the other person wouldn't know how it feels to have random_scrub1 backseat gaming him because he doesn't get enough viewers for that to happen. He kept coming back to the idea that he only wanted to compete against the times of the small community of 8 or so people he has going in Super Mario Galaxy 2, ignoring the fact that he could just ignore people who's time he didn't want to compare to. He brought up the fact that if he were to join the irc channel for the game he would be forced to join whatever stupid discussion they were having, and implied that no one picking up the game after him would ever have any helpful input for the community.

Don't get me wrong, pie is obviously doing something right as an entertainer to have gotten to the amount of viewers he has so quickly, but he isn't exactly the kind of guy I'd like to hang out and play games with.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

mfcrocker posted:

Like most people he's probably quite different to hang out with in person and on stream

I was referring mostly to being on skype/mumble and racing or whatever. Thankfully there are plenty of other people to race awesome games with. Ballinshades and ProjectBirdRyan have been doing some awesome blind races over the last couple days that I joined in on and had a blast.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I keep trying to convince people to race me to 365 days in LSD but no one seems interested. How could you not want to spend 4+ hours looking for cliffs to jump off?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dr. Stab posted:

San Andreas pulls in a lot of viewers. I can't really explain it, but it does.

It's pretty easy to explain really. While the average SRL viewer would rather watch a nintendo console game, the average twitch viewer would rather watch something with swearing and guns. It's pretty obvious when you look at the number of people in chat during a GTA run by Adam or Josh who ask questions like "why speedrun?" or "what do those times mean?"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I fail to see how putting your best time on your twitch page is any different than getting a little .jpg to go on your SRL profile. Leaderboards are coming, and if I understand those correctly, they will be based on RTAs you submit and not races. That way you can reset over and over and over to get that goal time you wanted.

As for the season boards being "fair" for someone who had never raced the category. Well, yeah, people with years of experience are going to do better than someone who just picked it up. That's kind of obvious regardless of how you'd set up a race scenario. The nice thing about Trueskill is that when the people on top make little mistakes, they take HUGE point its for it, because everything is based on your previous performance.

Looking at SRL user Dublin you can see in his first race since the reset today he gained nearly 500 points. But as the day went on, similar times netted him fewer and fewer points because the algorithm was expecting him to be getting those times, thus only rewarding him for maintaining performance. You can see the inverse of this with Pobo3 in this race taking a relatively big hit for a still decent time because it was below what it had calculated to be his skill level.

I could see an argument for having a separate value on someone's profile that listed a racer's change in average skill over time. So say someone who did just pick it up who was really grinding out the strats and starting to cut decent chunks of time from their PB, would get highlighted as a rising star for the week/month/etc.

Honestly though my main motivation to practice to just to improve my own skill at games that I have fun playing. While I agree that the social aspect of having a nice chat to interact with during runs makes them a lot less boring and doing commentary on the run a lot easier. I feel that people have pushed the focus away from improving personal times in games. Everyone seems to be so worried about either getting the world record or having a packed stream so they can rake in the donations/twitchbucks. I find it hilarious when people insult runners like Znernicus for doing runs of console games with only a webcam pointed at his TV for proof. Yes, part of streaming on twitch is to entertain the masses, but in my opinion the main goal of a speedrunner should be showing their runs to the people who appreciate it for the strategies used, and the personal improvements made, not just people who want to see the game.

tl;dr play games because they're fun and challenge yourself to do better because you want to. If you happen to like racing against other people, go ahead and do that. If you really want to race and not have to worry about how it makes your SRL profile look compared to someone else's, then do your own countdowns over skype/mumble/twitchchat/phone/smokesignals.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

SVA16162 shaved 5 and half minutes off his LoZ:OoT 100% Record to put him even further ahead o fht epack (zfg) with a 4:52:03. And Nero's SM64 life is no longer end, and he is celebrating the zombification of his love for the game with a 12 hour stream.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

The conversation in #Leaderboards accomplished the following things: Hilariously vandalized a Google Doc.

That's about it.

Don't count out the ice cream metaphors, they will really be important in the future of SRL's partnership with Baskin Robbins.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Arena skip in darksiders. You skip the loading trigger for the map, but trigger an arena type "kill everything" event, so a brief cutscene plays where enemies are floating in the air, then everything starts to fall and eventually you win.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I am mad about Paper Mario being all cards, couldn't an easy hour be shaved there by doing any%? And you'd get to talk about the Blue House Skip!

Most likely it's because the runner is more comfortable doing all cards, which I'm pretty sure has something to do with how inconsistent Blue House Skip can be. And just because he isn't doing it doesn't mean they can't talk about it anyway. I mean, they won't, they'll probably just have really loud clapping and donation comments the entire time instead of letting him explain anything, but he totally could explain it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Doom Goon posted:

Well, it's a marathon, maybe Kryssstal'll do it again :D Is there a certain amount of randomness to Agahnim's magic spells? Has +20.7 there this time.

If I recall correctly there are either the yellow balls you can redirect back at him, or the blue balls you can't.

Obviously the runners don't enjoy blue balls.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

Maybe, but even SRG was freaking out over how bad her chat was. Adam's chat is bad, this was just garbage

Most gaming communities on the internet really are a sight to be seen. I helped my friend host a stream at a Halo LAN party we threw for part of his final project in digital broadcasting. After his professor tuned out we got the brilliant idea to put the couple girls that were playing on the POV TV and hook them up with mics. That chat room of no more than 30 people at a time had some of the most creative sexual things I've seen outside of DeviantArt Journal entries. Of course the party itself was a smaller version, with every guy there fawning over the one single chick who was there. Good times, good times.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Kyrosiris posted:

And then the game could just decide that his superswim didn't count. :negative:

Exactly why it's a little pointless getting hype over a run thats time wise a little over 25% and trick wise, maybe 10% done.

OMG SIGLEMIC GOT LAKITU SKIP WR INC.

In news worth getting hype over, assuming he doesn't pull a ZFG and somehow die to Majora with the Fierce Deity's mask, Goron Guy is about to improve his mostly uncontested All masks record for MM.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

heeheex2 posted:

I got a 5:14 in Rom Check Fail which is probably the worst game of all time. I think this might be WR. nevermind, someone has a 3:21.

Let me try to explain this a little.

The very first roll when you start the game actually only picks from a certain group of combinations, instead of being a truely random selection of every possibility. Then if were playing and got a game over, the next round starts with whatever pattern you had when you died. Because of this, "the community" (literally me and one other guy do times, we have a couple others who race us), split the game up into two major category groups. Lacking better ways to describe them, starting the program fresh between each attempt is called "New Game" and purposfully game overing so you can start again with the fast pattern is called "new game plus."

This is the time you were really competing with, doesn't use RNG "manipulation" to achieve a better time, got 3:50

This is my run of 2x. Once you beat level 20 the game starts over again, but faster. I don't have a recording of me beating 3x, and once you reach 4x the collision starts failing really hard and it can become impossible to continue.

This is that 3:21 you mentioned, Defender+Ghosts(gauntlet) is by far the best combination for speed, and I should actually be able to get much further into the game beating every level before it changes, cutting significant time from this record.

Really though keeping track of anything other than NG+ times is a bit silly, but racing to 2x is a ton of fun, as long as you can laugh at poo poo RNG knowing everyone else is getting poo poo on.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Everyone's favorite goon who plays glover fast as hell, heeheex2, just beat his WR in a race by less than a second. I imagine he plans on timing it a little closer to make sure its a faster run, but I also assume he wants to beat it legit, seeing as he lost something like 40 seconds over the run.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ArfJason posted:

Finished my first timed super casual run of Half Life!
Bear in mind, I started the timer on the moment Eli opens a door for you in Unforseseen Consequences, so the final time should have like 10 minutes added to account for the intro, Anomalous Materials, etc. I was just driving myself too crazy restarting over and over again and having to do the whole Resonance Cascade part each time. Still pretty drat proud.

I'm pretty sure the community rule for timing a single segment run is to start right at the end of the intro, so there is a little less time to add to that to compare to other people's. Half-Life 1 is an insane speedrun because the entire time you're doing anything you should also be doing glitched movement (bunnyhopping. It also includes a bit of health/armor management tactics. Explosives knock you back depending on how much damage you take from them, so the more armor you have the shorter the boost. Then there are the pushing box boosts, which are insane and I'll never know how coolkid does them so consistantly every time.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Twitch.tv rear end covering posted:

As reassurance that we weren't mysteriously hacked -- that logo floating about? It was from our company hack week http://i.imgur.com/d2qBVdp.jpg

hack week? is that when they spent 4 days hacking the search by game features on top of justin.tv and the other 3 playing Zombies?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Salt Fish posted:

I wonder what company event the ability to arbitrarily authenticate as any user is from.

Twitch's security has always been rather spotty. Not too long ago a memeber of the speedrun community found an exploit as part of a change to their API. He tested it for the purpose of fixing it on SRL's end, and was banned.

e. Also when they first added turbo you could send any color code as your selection for chat name instead of only the ones available with the sliders they give you, resulted in lots of people who thought it was SO HILLARIOUS to type in chat background grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

TheQat posted:

Coolkid is up and running HL1. http://www.twitch.tv/dabigbooi

re: super metroid Whatever happened to garrison?

Donkey Happened. Getting burnt out on a speedgame isn't at all uncommon in the community. Lots of people who get burnt out on their main game will end up just quitting runs all together. Though someone like Garri is the kind of dedicated speedgamer who will never really give up a game for good. Nero took a huge break after sm64 broke his heart, then when he came back it only took another couple weeks for him to stop doing runs again, now he does his thing all over MegaMan x2 and its fantastic to watch. Hell Siglemic has been practicing up Super Metroid as a way to keep his mind off Mario for a while, it should be fun to see if he gets on WR pace in that.

• Locked thread