Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, has anyone hosed around with running a Bedrock server? Since MS switched to UDP I'm having a bitch of a time debugging external connectivity. Internal works great, but opening up the port on UDP I'm not able to get connected from outside.

You mean a Realm? I'm honestly unsure if you can. The way it's set up now, and you might already be well aware of this, is that as long as you're signed in to your Microsoft account and are 'online', you're already effectively running a server. In terms of a dedicated server, or Realm, I actually don't know if they've allowed ad-hoc ones to be set up.

Aside from signing in with a new MS account and just leaving it running a world where others can join, mind you. That's pretty ad-hoc, for how this game is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nope. There's a local bedrock server now and you can open it up just like the regular.

I'm not ruling out fuckery on the part of my router firmware, but it's better to ping this off of anyone who's done it to make sure I'm not being dumb, first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nope. There's a local bedrock server now and you can open it up just like the regular.

I'm not ruling out fuckery on the part of my router firmware, but it's better to ping this off of anyone who's done it to make sure I'm not being dumb, first.

Well, holy poo poo, I had no idea. That's awesome and I hope you get it sorted.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Just wondering, I know newer is sometimes better, but the server network i am on caters for the older versions,

We have a vanilla server you can connect to with any version of minecraft from 1.2.5 up to 1.13.2

We have 1.6.4 servers as well as 1.7.10 servers such as Tekkit, Hexxit, Bteam, TPPI and YCC

Why when I ask for any help (i am a plugin dev) do all the sites like spigot etc just say "Stop using that old version and upgrade to the new version that doesnt have the same mods available"

What is wrong with using old stuff? If i had a 1920's Rolls Royce car, it would be called a classic and would be desired by many people why does this not work for the older classic packs that we are used to?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
that 1920s Rolls Royce is pretty to look at, but no modern mechanic wants to touch it. if you're having problems with something, it's likely that it's a bug rather than just something not configured correctly - the people you're asking for help are writing and maintaining new versions of things, and actively working on multiple versions of things is a huge timesink, especially anything as much of a pain in the rear end as Minecraft is. plus, there's not even a guarantee that the person who wrote the 1.6 version of something is even an active dev anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not near my Switch right now to check (or rather, my Switch isn't near me :smug:), but when creating a new world, and I select 'Old', does that mean that it'll impose size limitations that were there with the previous version of Minecraft for Switch? I assume so, but figured I'd ask. If so, yay, I might be like the 0.4% of people who would enjoy using that, at least once in a while.

It's like my own, somewhat massive island :toot:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

that 1920s Rolls Royce is pretty to look at, but no modern mechanic wants to touch it. if you're having problems with something, it's likely that it's a bug rather than just something not configured correctly - the people you're asking for help are writing and maintaining new versions of things, and actively working on multiple versions of things is a huge timesink, especially anything as much of a pain in the rear end as Minecraft is. plus, there's not even a guarantee that the person who wrote the 1.6 version of something is even an active dev anymore.

But even if its just "what was the way of doing X in 1.6.4 in bukkit, instead of "yeah that was a pain heres a link to how to use it " its more "stop using it and update your server"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

But even if its just "what was the way of doing X in 1.6.4 in bukkit, instead of "yeah that was a pain heres a link to how to use it " its more "stop using it and update your server"

I suspect for like, literally any other person that updating would be the normal, right answer. You are probably better off forming some relationship with somebody who knows your context than random parts of the Internet. Even then you are probably alone. I can't imagine hobbyists wanting to hit the time machine to fix their embarrassments from nearly a decade ago.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TheresaJayne posted:

You might be assuming that solutions exist to begin with. You are talking about older buggy mods being slapped onto an older, buggier version of the game, all of which are from years ago. That a ton of mods didn't bother updating is the cruel nature of modding. Most mods are never truly finished, which means lots of problems are never going to be fully solved. The number of people who would have been able to even solve these problems when they were new was probably relatively low, and I imagine most have moved on by now, and I am willing to bet a large number of issues were probably met with shrugs and hopes for patches back then too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

This stuff wasn't exactly professionally documented. It all existed in people's heads, and it's been years, and the institutional memory no longer exists.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That car analogy is painful. For one thing, unlike a car, anyone can just have a copy of software, so there's less value than a physical item. For another, old cars can be extremely temperamental and unlike cars that have documentation not only from manufacturing, but from mechanics and people who make and sell documentation for mechanics to use. A lot of that is online these days, but for really old stuff a lot of the time there's stuff you can only find in an old manual or book. Finally, lots of people touch the internals of cars. From mechanics to hobbyists while barely anyone in comparison touches code. Especially since the majority of time you're dealing with API calls which is a layer of obfuscation which means you may not have any idea of what's actually going on on the other end if you don't have access to that code as well.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Lol that 1.6.4 was a 1920s Rolls Royce. It was a 1980s Hyundai Excel at best.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Whalley posted:

Lol that 1.6.4 was a 1920s Rolls Royce. It was a 1980s Hyundai Excel at best.

Heh I was personally thinking it was more like that one 1920s Rolls Royce that made it this far as a statistical anomaly. Thanks to survivorship bias, people walk by it and say, "They don't make them like they used to." OTOH if somebody's putting in the upkeep then more power to them. In that situation I have to agree that it's frustrating to constantly ask about the car and get told to just buy a new one.

I think what I'm actually saying is "I'm so glad Rutibex hasn't noticed this discussion yet."

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Heh I was personally thinking it was more like that one 1920s Rolls Royce that made it this far as a statistical anomaly. Thanks to survivorship bias, people walk by it and say, "They don't make them like they used to." OTOH if somebody's putting in the upkeep then more power to them. In that situation I have to agree that it's frustrating to constantly ask about the car and get told to just buy a new one.

I think what I'm actually saying is "I'm so glad Rutibex hasn't noticed this discussion yet."

Rutibex pivoted to 1.7.10 one or two years ago and I'm guessing he will go to 1.12.2 relatively soon. I know we give him poo poo for sticking to defending 1.2.5 for so long, but the man goes where the action is. Or was. 1.2.5 and 1.7.10 were both super huge for mods and they remained prominent for a relatively long time. By comparison, pretty much every other version is some serious whatever.

Personally, I'm waiting for a 1.8.9 purist to appear in the wild. That'll be someone none of us can understand.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fortis posted:

Personally, I'm waiting for a 1.8.9 purist to appear in the wild. That'll be someone none of us can understand.
What even was 1.8.9? Was that where RAM usage went out the roof?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is the Wither still balls hard and nearly impossible, or is there a legitimate way of doing it and not getting completely and totally hosed? I remember when it was introduced, as well as just a few years ago, it was basically a map's death sentence to summon it. I get that you wouldn't want to bring it to your homebase or anything, but there was just no winning with it when I tried.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is the Wither still balls hard and nearly impossible, or is there a legitimate way of doing it and not getting completely and totally hosed? I remember when it was introduced, as well as just a few years ago, it was basically a map's death sentence to summon it. I get that you wouldn't want to bring it to your homebase or anything, but there was just no winning with it when I tried.
Dig down deep, get it kinda contained by a lot of cobble (with a long-rear end path to escape from it through), eat a golden apple, have a decently enchanted bow and sword, and go ham. It's hard, but not crazy.

Or, you can use the bedrock that sits under the end portal to cheese the hell outta it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you're supposed to use strong enchantments and potions.

good bow, good sword, good armor, plus regen and health potions is how you kill wither. you don't need to cheese it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Easiest way to take the wither is in a 10x10x4 chamber at bedrock with five iron golems backing you up. It'll still likely need your help, probably with a bow after it drills up, but most of its health will probably be taken by the golems.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Easiest way to take the wither is in a 10x10x4 chamber at bedrock with five iron golems backing you up. It'll still likely need your help, probably with a bow after it drills up, but most of its health will probably be taken by the golems.

Wow, ok, I guess I never mess with golems at all, because aside from getting mad at the player, I didn't know they did anything useful.

So, if I find a village, and have the ability to, should I just make a few golems instead of rushing to put fencing around everything?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, if I find a village, and have the ability to, should I just make a few golems instead of rushing to put fencing around everything?
Fence, golems are good but they're slow and you'll still lose the whole village in a night.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
please, I'm begging you. just brew some regen and splash health potions, you don't need to make a chamber at bedrock and use 180 iron making golems

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

started watching piropito videos just now and god is this frustrating.

7 episodes in and he still hasn't figured out how to survive through the night or build anything

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

This, but in a thick cobble box under the bedrock roof of the nether.

Obsidian box if you're some kind of masochist.

E: probably unnecessary if you just want to kill one, but why not have like 20 beacons!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Just turn off mob griefing and have yourself a much more enjoyable experience. Contain your Wither in a box they can't explode their way out of.

Although oddly enough, farming villagers count as "mob griefing" so you can't make any auto-breeders.

Also can't you still make a hole in the bedrock ceiling of the Nether and fight them there?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The wither is way overhyped. It's scary the first time for sure, but unless you have some extremely bad luck you probably don't need more than halfway decent diamond armor and a couple of potions and some food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snfn27BtE74

For the Minecraft Survival Guide, pixlriffs has generally good advice. He overprepares a bit except iirc he doesn't have an area not too far away with a bed and backup equipment in case he does die, which is one precaution I do take. Or at least fight it when other people are online so they can help and back you up if things go sideways.

And seriously, if you're considering obsidian cages and/or turning off mob griefing, just use the underside of the portal in the end to cheese the fight and have zero worries that way.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

started watching piropito videos just now and god is this frustrating.

7 episodes in and he still hasn't figured out how to survive through the night or build anything

He starts figuring things out soon enough. The best videos are where he finally makes a breakthrough, whether through extensive testing or just by happenstance. The worst, imo, are when he focuses entirely on making that silly bridge. I also really likes when he just plays with some of the mechanics as he figures them out, which also leads to discovery sometimes.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 4, 2019

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Potsticker posted:

I will say though I'm impressed at the number of eyes of ender he has. And all those ender chests means a whole lot of obsidian had to be mined. Or cheated, but I don't particularly think he uses to commands to give himself items. On that level at least I'm comfortable with thinking he's done all the resource collection manually.
Even I have had the patience to mine out an entire pillar/tower in the end to get a bunch of obsidian, and I don't have anywhere near the patience that guy seems to have!

Regarding the wither:

Whalley posted:

Or, you can use the bedrock that sits under the end portal to cheese the hell outta it.
How does that help, do they tend to want to go upward instead of down and away from the bedrock?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

How does that help, do they tend to want to go upward instead of down and away from the bedrock?

If you build it just right, so that the soulsand is one air block spaced under the portal's bedrock, the wither's head (hitbox?) gets stuck in the bedrock and it can't move, can't see, and can't shoot. So you just stand next to it and easy-peasy defeat it. Sometimes on servers people will place obsidian T shapes to show where you put the soulsand on top of it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

This stuff wasn't exactly professionally documented. It all existed in people's heads, and it's been years, and the institutional memory no longer exists.

But its not even mods, I am talking here about just writing plugins for bukkit, the spigot team are still using bukkit but they will never help anyone who wants help and if they see any sites with old javadocs etc they just get them removed,

Its like I ask in the spigot IRC channel, how can i determine if a block is a container or has extra metadata for serialisation?
Their answer is use the new Serializer we put in on Spigot for 12.2, I say "its for MC 1.6.4" they respond "upgrade your server to the latest then, "
I respond "But you cannot get Attack of the B-Team on a later version" they just say "Go away".

Its about the endless drive to forget about the old servers and even the top plugins are dropping the old support meaning that nothing is compatible anymore.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It's the big problem with mods and why I generally play vanilla. It's also why the bedrock edition with its adventure maps are going to become more attractive to people because of the implicit promise that they'll last and people won't have to worry about the game upgrading and the mods not upgrading.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
People insisting on running minecraft servers from 6 loving years ago, which they can't leave because of a mod abandoned 5 years ago? They should stop whining that no one cares about supporting them, honestly.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Fishmech'd

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TheresaJayne posted:

But its not even mods, I am talking here about just writing plugins for bukkit, the spigot team are still using bukkit but they will never help anyone who wants help and if they see any sites with old javadocs etc they just get them removed,

Its like I ask in the spigot IRC channel, how can i determine if a block is a container or has extra metadata for serialisation?
Their answer is use the new Serializer we put in on Spigot for 12.2, I say "its for MC 1.6.4" they respond "upgrade your server to the latest then, "
I respond "But you cannot get Attack of the B-Team on a later version" they just say "Go away".

Its about the endless drive to forget about the old servers and even the top plugins are dropping the old support meaning that nothing is compatible anymore.

I don't know anything about the Spigot team, so I gotta ask, is that their actual job, or is it a hobby thing? Because if they are doing it on the side for fun, then I can assume the are busy enough running support for current releases than to be taking time to figure out solutions to issues they patched out ages ago. Now if they are actually making a living working on that stuff, then yeah, it is kind of assholish to be snarky about helping people, even if they are asking about out of date stuff. It isn't unheard of for small companies to still support older releases in at least minimal ways (like answering questions.)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

Spigot and Bukkit are mods. They have different versions and they are kept up by hobbyists in their free time. It's incredibly time consuming to make and maintain these systems, much less be a help service. Supporting dozens or hundreds of versions going back years is absolutely laughable, and your expectation that they take out all that time for your incredibly specific request is very self centered.

Systems like that change and grow significantly over time, even in a vacuum. Keeping track of all those changes and documenting everything is an enormous task that is very unenjoyable. This is something these devs do for fun, so you really shouldn't expect that. Add on all the changes that different versions of MC force onto it and the thought of keeping track of and supporting all that becomes a nightmare.

Try supporting a developer tool over years worth of versions while people constantly drop in and act upset when you don't have the solution to their problems immediately, and you might see things differently. If you want to work on stuff so outdated, you pretty much have to figure it all out yourself. Read old source code.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
You see this all the time with all kinds of software, commercial or otherwise. It's understandable that you wouldn't readily receive support for a hugely outdated version, especially when your issue is with something that was patched / upgraded a number of versions ago.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

I noticed that when I restart my server I get a message that says multiple maps are being loaded for each world. For example: [Server] INFO Loaded 3 maps of world 'world'.

Can someone explain to me what the 3 maps part means? We are only playing in one world and the server has been quite laggy so I am wondering if maybe the server is loading more information than necessary.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Isn't that the Overworld, The Nether, and The End?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

yes

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I cut off the message, it basically says 3 maps for world, 2 maps for the nether and 2 for the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is it referring to actual maps? Like the map item you can craft?