Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

MisterBibs posted:

This is going to be a strange question, but it's inspired by Minecraft and someone here with game / computer resource development may have some idea:

We know Creepers were originally pig models that didn't come out right. But once I saw a picture of the faild pig model, I couldn't help but wonder how it's possible to say "I'm going to make a pig model" and wind up with something like that. I mean, if I made a pig model, it'd suck, but think it would still be a vaguely pig-shaped model.

You might be under the impression that the models in the game are drawn out and then imported into minecraft. What actually happens in the code is each body part is defined as a set of numbers (height/width/length) as well as a few other parameters. Like Willie Trombone said, it looks like he had the height/width coordinates mixed up on the torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

cocoavalley posted:

Anyone here going to be at MineCon? I set up a thread in goon meets.

You mean meet the people of the official Minecraft Forums in real life, cooped up inside a convention center stewing in the stench of B.O., farts, and desperation? Hmm.. think I'll have to pass on this one.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

lizzyinthesky posted:

4 months of vacation a year is pretty rough, he needs at least 8 if he wants to work out.

Find that one spergloard's calendar of notch's work/vacation/bm schedule and blow it up onto some posterboard. Bam, perfect for the Minecon crowd.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

The Triumphant posted:

I think stiffing your main guest speakers for intercontinental airfare and paying them with one hotel room and a bottle of soda is a little more inappropriate and disrespectful.

Exactly. It's hard to believe that Notch made this up completely; there must have been some argument or fallout at the end of the conference. The Yogs crew probably were a bit disrespectful to Notch and Mojang after getting shafted so hard and things just escalated from there once Notch opened his big fat mouth on twitter. I wouldn't say the Yogs are really to blame—they were just reacting to a lovely situation.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

PalmTreeFun posted:

That's absolutely brilliant. Someone's Minecraft crashed because they had an exclamation point in their Windows username.

Are we allowed to criticize Notch's programming skills now?

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

@notch posted:

Markus Persson ‏ @notch Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
I may have implemented a 6502 CPU, not sure how to test it. The unsigned bytes in java cause code bloat. Considering inventing new CPU.

Hmm... He's not sure how to test a known CPU architecture, so I'm sure building one from scratch would be an easy undertaking requiring minimal testing... Nevermind the fact that even making a paired-down custom CPU is typically the purview of hellacious and time-consuming university senior design classes, often with a bunch of simplifying assumptions (ie: basic opcode space, no interrupts, etc.). Something tells me this won't go well if he goes through with it, given notch's QA history...

EDIT: I guess he's just building a CPU emulator. Not nearly so bad as coding one in an HDL like Verilog.

Apex Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 19, 2012

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Minecraft: OpenTTD edition

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

ColHannibal posted:

It could not be seamless, it would look like a big unloaded chunk that you walk into and it tp's you.

Why do you say that? They could give you an option to make a finite world which is "a" blocks long in the X direction and "b" blocks long in the Z direction, centered at the spawn. If you go a/2 blocks in the X direction it starts loading chunks from -a/2. You go -b/2 blocks in the Z direction and it starts loading chunks from b/2. The X and Z coordinates and still increment upward or downward and they could adjust the position variable as the player crosses the threshold.

The world bounds would need to be rounded to the nearest multiple of 16 (this is the number of blocks per chunk, so there is no partial-chunk at the boundary) and there would need to be a minimum value so you don't have the same chunk active twice at the same time, but otherwise I don't see any major issue with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And on the plus side, it's going to be -hilarious- if he ever winds up broke in afew years from spending it all.

To spend a billion dollars takes $45,000 a day for 60-years (according to a previous post and verified by me with the almighty mac Calculator app)... It would take some incredible spending in order to go broke in just a couple years... the guy has probably $1.5 billion dollars all said and done.... just unfathomable money to us plebes.