Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

:frogon::sterv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Back in 2002 I got Morrowind and completely lost myself in it. It dominated my video game life until Oblivion and then continued to do so once Oblivion's charm wore off. It was a steady companion in my life up until 2013, my last playthrough, and I stayed close to the pulse of the modding community the whole time.

And now holy heck it's been 8 years later and I'm entirely out of touch. I was terrified of getting this running again but mod documentation and collection has improved like CRAZY in the decade I've been gone, wow!

Outside of the graphics mods and the things been posted lately, is there anything now that I should look at for new gameplay things?

I downloaded the rebalance mods (Tribunal/Bloodmoon/Sixth House), which is a delight since back in the day I got frustrated with that and did that myself and never put the mod anywhere for me to reclaim a decade later. The Pickpocket overhaul that was linked here, anti-cheese, etc. I got the legendary item randomizer, which I hope works because after sinking thousands of hours into this I probably still know instinctively where everything is.

I have vague memories of some mods that added more wildlife to be bothered by, more undead, maybe more daedra? Are any of those still not-horribly-outdated? I've been out of the loop for SO LONG and I didn't see a modlist of optional for-fun mods while speeding through the thread.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I just want to highlight three content mods I'm fond of:

Uvirith's Legacy, which goes so far beyond "makes the Telvanni stronghold better" that it's difficult to describe.
The Tea Mod. I'm not a tea person, but some people absolutely are and I respect this deeply.

Muffinwind, an expansive and lore-friendly quest mod that continues and concludes the main story which threads through Morrowind-Tribunal-Bloodmoon. I always think of it and describe it as the third expansion of Morrowind, though admittedly it's more like if you took just the main quest of one. (There's no full worldspace, not many sidequests.)

fake edit: Oh! And Julan, Julan who is the gold standard for an in-game companion character.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Vavrek posted:

I just want to highlight three content mods I'm fond of:

Uvirith's Legacy, which goes so far beyond "makes the Telvanni stronghold better" that it's difficult to describe.
The Tea Mod. I'm not a tea person, but some people absolutely are and I respect this deeply.

Muffinwind, an expansive and lore-friendly quest mod that continues and concludes the main story which threads through Morrowind-Tribunal-Bloodmoon. I always think of it and describe it as the third expansion of Morrowind, though admittedly it's more like if you took just the main quest of one. (There's no full worldspace, not many sidequests.)

fake edit: Oh! And Julan, Julan who is the gold standard for an in-game companion character.

Oh Julan is still being recommended! Heck yeah my very last playthrough almost a decade ago had him bopping around with me.

Uvirith's Legacy I had forgotten about, too. Nice, I'm glad to see old favorites are still worth circulating.

Is LGNPC still a crapshoot of well-written and savagely lore-breaking? I remember last time I used it the guy in Pelagiad talked about how he inherited the shop from his father... despite Pelagiad being founded 20 years ago. Which is nitpicky, but if you're downloading a mod to flush out the lore then obviously you're gonna be nitpicky about the lore.

What's the skinny on MCA these days? I... have vague memories of making personalized patches to edit out a bunch of egregious stuff but it was apparently part of my last playthrough.

Did anyone make beast armor booties other than Adul's one that plops the shop in Balmora for conversions? It's still the last one I can find around anywhere.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

LGNPC is such a waste of a mod, even since the writing was fixed/modified. Because after talking to a couple on NPCs about their in depth life story, I tend to side with Bethesda in thinking it’s a wasted effort and I got bored with it. That said, if you’re super into talking to every NPC then it’s not bad and you may enjoy it.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I have a big problem with Morrowind: the base game content is too fun. I’ve installed dozens of new questlines and faction expansions over the years but I never get to any of them because, hey, I’ll just return Fargoth’s ring. And I might as well level up around the coastline and get the Mentor’s Ring and do the tax guy quest. And it’s night so I might as well get Fargoth’s stash. Take the silt strider? But Lake Amaya’s so nice this time of year...
Hundreds of hours later, I’m back on the main quest line for the millionth time. I’ve been playing this game for fifteen freaking years!!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I have a big problem with Morrowind: the base game content is too fun. I’ve installed dozens of new questlines and faction expansions over the years but I never get to any of them because, hey, I’ll just return Fargoth’s ring. And I might as well level up around the coastline and get the Mentor’s Ring and do the tax guy quest. And it’s night so I might as well get Fargoth’s stash. Take the silt strider? But Lake Amaya’s so nice this time of year...
Hundreds of hours later, I’m back on the main quest line for the millionth time. I’ve been playing this game for fifteen freaking years!!

This is what happens in every open world beth-style game if i dont precisely plan my character and their 'career' in advance. My personal weakness in MW is the thieves guild, which i do on pretty much every character. Love a faction based out of dive bars

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
We understandably don't have a Let's Reinstall Daggerfall Thread, but I understand that Daggerfall Unity has brought modding to that game as well. Any particulary good ones?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
immediately throw caius' package on the census office desk right in front of gravias and go join a faction or ship off south

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

caius throwing his package on gravias' desk is what got us into the mess in the first place

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This is when the blades began to be concerned about his sugar

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Bolingbroke posted:

Did a fresh re-install of Morrowind, TR, and MGEXE, and now everything is working properly with a non-hosed map, the mainland, distant land, and shaders as they should be. Lovely! :) No idea what the problem was but it's gone now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help! Now I can get back to not playing the game at all and endlessly tinkering with my mod about Telvanni gentrification.

I still use the GOTY discs to install Morrowind, which contain this cute relic:

gently caress, I'm having this exact same problem after spending the past 6 hours as it is installing things. Everything was working 100% until I activated Tamriel Rebuilt and then this specific error shows up. It really seems like it's just missing two meshes--these same ones specifically and reocurringly for at least a year (i can actually find people struggling with the specific head and netch cuirass meshes since 2017)--but I have no idea where they slipped through the cracks on. I've seen other people fix it with BSA registries but mine is looking correct. Has anyone heard any other solution besides reinstalling?

Because good lord I just spent several hours installing things as it were. I don't have the energy to reinstall everything from scratch.

e: Reinstalling did not fix it. My only thought is it's because it's in Program Files x86. I guess I have to... create a second folder in C:/ drive by editing Steam directly and oh lord here I was thinking Morrowind modding had become easier over the years.

e e: Reinstalled it into C:/Games/Steam, now MGE crashes on distant land generation with TR and nothing else. I might need to come back to this another night after, spending literally all day on this wow. Like old times.

final edit: Exact same imperial head03.nif error and then MGE fails. I think I just gotta give up on TR.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 22, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you haven’t already, try doing another reinstall but pay careful attention to these items:

1. Triple check your archives lines in the INI are accurate
2. After uninstalling, delete you INI and any other config files before reinstalling.
3. Setup your mods and load order before running MGEXE. Or at least be sure to run it again and regenerate all distant land.
4. Don’t install in Program Files folders. “C:\games” or something similar is the best way to install games. Even better if you have a different hard drive to use so running Windows services and security don’t hog competing hard disk resources.

Numbers 1 and 2 are the most important. If nothing works, check on Tamriel Rebuilts forums to see if it happens to others. I’ve run Tamriel Rebuilt for a long while, and keep it updated, and have never run into that particular issue.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

If you haven’t already, try doing another reinstall but pay careful attention to these items:

1. Triple check your archives lines in the INI are accurate
2. After uninstalling, delete you INI and any other config files before reinstalling.
3. Setup your mods and load order before running MGEXE. Or at least be sure to run it again and regenerate all distant land.
4. Don’t install in Program Files folders. “C:\games” or something similar is the best way to install games. Even better if you have a different hard drive to use so running Windows services and security don’t hog competing hard disk resources.

Numbers 1 and 2 are the most important. If nothing works, check on Tamriel Rebuilts forums to see if it happens to others. I’ve run Tamriel Rebuilt for a long while, and keep it updated, and have never run into that particular issue.

I wholesale deleted the folder in Program Files, ini included, and forced it to install into C:/Games. Fresh install of nothing but TR, updated the BSA registry in the ini, and it happened immediately.

Then had an issue with Vurt's trees only appearing in the distance and disappearing as I got closer and I've decided I am content with just playing a less-than-optimally-pretty version of the game for the sake of playing it at all, for now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you're using mod organizer it saves and uses a separate ini

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Skwirl posted:

If you're using mod organizer it saves and uses a separate ini

wait was what

where

help

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

click the puzzle piece icon in the top bar, "INI editor". it saves somewhere in your mod organizer folder if you want to manually edit it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It really needs to be written in bold with exclamation points in the Tamriel Rebuilt install instructions

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Holy poo poo I was just changing the default ini I didn't know mod organizer 2 made an ini of its own, I stopped playing well before MO2 ever came out. I have been out of the game for way too long, thank you all so much. I cannot describe the actual raw relief I'm feeling after spending hours trying to figure out the problem and feeling like an idiot the whole time.

I guess I can finally go nuts and toss in some more texture mods then now that this install's for real.

Is there any common cause what I did wrong that Vurt's trees were only visible in the distant terrain, and were replaced by the vanilla ones when I entered its real draw distance? That's the last badger I'm stuck on before I'm sailing easy.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

that means you generated distant land with vurt's trees enabled, but they're not enabled in the actual game. check your load order, you probably accidentally turned off the esp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FlocksOfMice posted:

Holy poo poo I was just changing the default ini I didn't know mod organizer 2 made an ini of its own, I stopped playing well before MO2 ever came out. I have been out of the game for way too long, thank you all so much. I cannot describe the actual raw relief I'm feeling after spending hours trying to figure out the problem and feeling like an idiot the whole time.

I guess I can finally go nuts and toss in some more texture mods then now that this install's for real.

Is there any common cause what I did wrong that Vurt's trees were only visible in the distant terrain, and were replaced by the vanilla ones when I entered its real draw distance? That's the last badger I'm stuck on before I'm sailing easy.

Yeah, I spent probably two days googling and reinstalling poo poo.

Also, if you're in Windows 10 make sure MO2 has admin access if you want any keybinding changes to stick (why the gently caress was "e" jump and "spacebar" activate?)

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

BBJoey posted:

that means you generated distant land with vurt's trees enabled, but they're not enabled in the actual game. check your load order, you probably accidentally turned off the esp.

I'm at least thankfully not that dumb! Go me! Vurt's BC trees esp was active during distant land gen and remains active, but the vurt's trees--at least most of them? seem to disappear when I get close. Oddly, I'm not getting this problem with his Grazelands trees as far as I can tell?

The internet says,

quote:

The issue comes from the Morrowind Optimization Patch and how it changes MGE XE. When you re-install MOP untick the option for MGE XE and it should fix the disappearing tree meshes problem.
Hope this helps!

But I never installed the Optimization Patch on this (fresh, in a new directory) install, to my knowledge?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The problem is that you're missing the optimization patch

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

kazr posted:

The problem is that you're missing the optimization patch

The general morrowind optimization patch, or the bitter coast trees optimization patch?

I tried putting in the morrowind optimization patch and left the MGE unchecked like the comment said, no dice. Bitter coast trees optimization patch was installed over Vurt's base mod and distant lands were re-genned, but up-close the trees still shift back into their vanilla meshes for the most part.

Did I get a step wrong? It's the exact same problem being described but I swear I've recreated the steps at this point to get to that solution.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

things disappearing when you get close is a "you enabled the esp during distant land generation but disabled it for actual play" issue

except grass, thats the only thing where thats the intended way of doing it

if you don't have the MOP (you should) thats the only way. MOP adds prebaked textures for MGEXE, if you use (non-vanilla-esque) replacers dont install that option

and another thing, if you run tree/rock replacers theyre largely unsupported by TR. expect moderate clipping. TR does some pretty elaborate and precise stuff with tree and rock meshes, and changing them around means big yikes my dude

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

things disappearing when you get close is a "you enabled the esp during distant land generation but disabled it for actual play" issue

except grass, thats the only thing where thats the intended way of doing it

if you don't have the MOP (you should) thats the only way. MOP adds prebaked textures for MGEXE, if you use (non-vanilla-esque) replacers dont install that option

and another thing, if you run tree/rock replacers theyre largely unsupported by TR. expect moderate clipping. TR does some pretty elaborate and precise stuff with tree and rock meshes, and changing them around means big yikes my dude

Have MOP without that option, have vurt's plug-in running while the game is. It's fine, I can do without prettier trees so long as the game runs, which it finally is. Time to forget about the quarantine in a world of--ah, right, spreading disease, which you eventually catch.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

FlocksOfMice posted:

Have MOP without that option, have vurt's plug-in running while the game is. It's fine, I can do without prettier trees so long as the game runs, which it finally is. Time to forget about the quarantine in a world of--ah, right, spreading disease, which you eventually catch.

I, might have found out what my own problem is? Does Mod Organizer 2 put things in a place other than your Data Files? If you install something manually, rather than through MO2, does that get it confused? Because I don't think most of the texture mods I installed now are actually changing anything--although some clearly are, it's only the ones with .esps. Texture mods I installed by hand aren't showing up, but activating them through MO2 doesn't seem to be changing it either now?

I installed bitter coast texture mods by hand--because, honestly, it's what I'm used to--but I don't know if it's really changed anything. Activating them with MO2 now might be too... late? I'm unsure?

Just like how MO2 has its own INI, is it actually its own complete separate system 100%, and everything HAS to be installed through it for it to work? I thought it was just a centralization tool, is it really a replaces-everything-exclusively tool?

... so should I, do I have to, reinstall and do everything only through MO2 and never by hand?

If yes, well, okay, I can reinstall one last time?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FlocksOfMice posted:

I, might have found out what my own problem is? Does Mod Organizer 2 put things in a place other than your Data Files? If you install something manually, rather than through MO2, does that get it confused? Because I don't think most of the texture mods I installed now are actually changing anything--although some clearly are, it's only the ones with .esps. Texture mods I installed by hand aren't showing up, but activating them through MO2 doesn't seem to be changing it either now?

I installed bitter coast texture mods by hand--because, honestly, it's what I'm used to--but I don't know if it's really changed anything. Activating them with MO2 now might be too... late? I'm unsure?

Just like how MO2 has its own INI, is it actually its own complete separate system 100%, and everything HAS to be installed through it for it to work? I thought it was just a centralization tool, is it really a replaces-everything-exclusively tool?

... so should I, do I have to, reinstall and do everything only through MO2 and never by hand?

If yes, well, okay, I can reinstall one last time?

Yeah, the whole point of MO2 is that it doesn't actually put anything in your datafiles.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the whole point of MO2 is that it doesn't actually put anything in your datafiles.

:smithicide:

I was treating it like it was an easier to use Wrye Bash. Okay. I know what my mods are I can install one last time. Just do everything through MO2, got it.

Thank you everyone for your patience with my being a decade out of date and honestly just really stupid.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It took me so long to get used to how Mod Organizer works and I still find it weird and creepy and am resistant to using it for Morrowind. Skyrim, sure, fine, that's how you mod Skyrim. New Vegas, okay, I can get used to this.

Morrowind? But where's my 3 GB folder of hand-curated textures? How do I browse through and select which to keep?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I was treating it like it was an easier to use Wrye Bash. Okay. I know what my mods are I can install one last time. Just do everything through MO2, got it.

It's worth reading a description of how MO works before using it. Short version is that while it installs nothing into data files, it creates a virtual folder that looks like data files would have if everything has been installed there right before it launches the game. Since this virtual folder is created only at the point of launch you can install/uninstall files, change the ordering of mods, do whatever you want without fear of mods clobbering each other.

The other implication, and the reason for this post, is that all programs that expect to see data files must be run through MO2. So if you want to run Wrye Bash, you have to run it through MO2 or it won't see the mods you want it to or as the game will see the mods on launch. This also applies to lod generation programs, they must be started from within MO2 or they won't see all the mods they need to and, just as bad, they'll write to the real data files folder instead of to where MO2 would like them to.

I haven't played or modded any of the games it supports since Skyrim came out, when MO1 was the only MO, so I'm way out of date and that description is intentionally vague and possibly inaccurate.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Hey, the MCP has fixed the hand-to-hand patch affecting werewolves since I last installed it! I remember having to just godmode through Bloodmoon. Lol at the nexus graphics guide now recommending Roberts’s Bodies instead of BB. I’ll take my body replacers without thong underwear, cheers. And I’m amazed to see that the poisons mod I asked for back in 2014 has in fact been done in 2018, very cool! https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45729

Why are a lot of you guys using Speed and Stamina? I never found the stamina thing to be a big problem. Plus it makes getting the ring at the end of the game feel absolutely godly.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Why are a lot of you guys using Speed and Stamina? I never found the stamina thing to be a big problem. Plus it makes getting the ring at the end of the game feel absolutely godly.

Because the default movement speed is too slow and resting an hour before you do anything doesnt make for invigorating game design

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Look, you just have to understand the character design system, so you can start with a character that can hit people with a sword, aim properly with a bow, or cover ground at a decent pace.

Pick one.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I kind of love the movement speed and stamina system. It incentivizes leveling athletics or getting alternate means of travel, makes restore fatigue potions really important, and planning travel routes carefully so you don't have to back-track. And I like the idea that jogging to somewhere means you'll be in bad condition if you run into combat right after a long run. But, quarantine lockdown means I also have a disgusting amount of time I need to kill right now, so that appeals to me. I still forgot how much I missed it from Skyrim, to feel your jumping and running slowly improve over time.

I'm definitely one of the worst kinds of people, though, in that I find a bed to sleep in at least every few nights, change my clothes frequently, have civilian and adventuring outfits, and basically treat the game way too seriously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm definitely one of the worst kinds of people, though, in that I find a bed to sleep in at least every few nights, change my clothes frequently, have civilian and adventuring outfits, and basically treat the game way too seriously.

You're why that bathing mod exists for Skyrim.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Skwirl posted:

You're why that bathing mod exists for Skyrim.

I didn't want to say that sometimes I take a dip in the river Odai because it feels like, well, wouldn't you be gross not taking a bath now and then? I didn't want to say that but it's true, after a rough adventure I will make my character take a bath.

Sometimes in the ashpits, which I imagine are like a nice, hot mudbath. I might have brain problems, it's ok.

I don't eat three meals a day, though. Hunger meters are too much of an imposition I only like it when it's a thing I can opt-into in my own imagination I swear I'm not the worst kind of Elder Scrolls player.

There are still people who make the game unplayable in the name of realism, and then lovers lab sexcrime modders, that I get to thumb my nose at, ok. I'm only the third worst.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This is why I like Skyrim VR cause I can physically look down and see my clothes and physically grab drinks to drink and also physically fondle the tits of my followers with physics.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Odai must be absolutely disgusting, all the filth from Balmora just drains into it.

Now lake Amaya, that's a fine bathing spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I kind of love the movement speed and stamina system. It incentivizes leveling athletics or getting alternate means of travel, makes restore fatigue potions really important, and planning travel routes carefully so you don't have to back-track. And I like the idea that jogging to somewhere means you'll be in bad condition if you run into combat right after a long run.

:hai: most games choose to make travel as easy and seamless as possible. Morrowind’s design choice is to make travel hard, a problem to be solved. How do I even get around this hostile land? So many things in the game support that design decision (levitation, travel networks, stamina potions, the difficult mountainous landscape, ash and blight storms, BOBS, mark/recall, how fragile new characters are, azura’s ring being given at the end of the game) that zooming around with modified stats and tons of stamina is to destroy one of the main features of the game.

I mean who cares if you’ve played it tons before but if I saw a new player use it because “walking is slow” I’d scream