Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Suran's a mid-way point on the river between Marandus and Vivec? I guess?

Who's going to Marandus though? Most of the old strongholds are filled with bandits, daedra, or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah but they weren't always. Both Marandus and Suran were Redoran at one point. Makes sense that a town might grow there?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Looks like Bethesda was acquired by Microsoft, do you guys think this will mean we can expect a more RPG-Heavy ES6, something more akin to Morrowind or more of the same old crap.

Earlier they got a hold of Obsidian, InXile and Double Fine, they seem to gobbling up a lot of good devs as of late, I guess they want to prop up their Xbox consoles with some exclusive games.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think this will have an impact on the titles currently in development, notably because Microsoft hasn't bought anything yet -- the deal is being negotiated and needs to be approved by antitrust authorities. It's expected to be concluded in late 2021.

For the exact terms, we'll have to wait and see. Will MS keep ZeniMax as an umbrella for Bethesda, id, Arkane and the few others, keeping some measure of distance between MS and the studios, or will ZeniMax disappear with the studios going directly under the Microsoft umbrella? This is I think what will tell us of the general direction to expect.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 27, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Microsoft seems like a pretty hands-off owner as these things go. It's not great news but I don't anticipate anything hugely changing from where Bethesda was taking things anyway

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Maybe they'll get rid of the Bethesda launcher and payed mods at the very least, but yeah, wait and see is the approach.

I just want them to get back to basics and focus on creating great games with good storytelling again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Hopefully we get another West Coast Fallout from it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ballout: Neo New Vegas

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
brace for master chief horse armor in eso

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Hopefully we get another West Coast Fallout from it.

Oh yeah with this happening maybe Obsidian will get to make another Fallout again with them both being in the Microsoft family. :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

Suran is a stop-point for one of the Four Corners pilgrimages, but those are high level pilgramages that aren't really given to the average Temple layperson, so it being a boom town is weird. The recent batch of Suran mods combined with White Suran does give it a very unique, very pleasant feel, and I was half-tempted to move in, but no access to a teleport network or high quality vendors made Sadrith Mora my default choice, again.

Like, tiny towns like Ald Velothi and Maar Gan at least have things you stop through several times. You pass through Maar Gan if you're walking to the ashlands. Ald Velothi is a gateway to Solstheim. If you're doing anything up north, Dagon Fel is your nearest recovery point. Suran's close enough to Vivec and Molag Mar that if I needed something from nearby, I'd just go to one of the big cities and leave Suran aside anyway.
If I had the knowledge and resources to mod it, I would add remnants of some Redoran stuff like Ald'ruhn-style buildings and play up the Hlaalu/Redoran conflict. You could add quest givers for each house and have quests that center on giving more control to one or the other.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

If I had the knowledge and resources to mod it, I would add remnants of some Redoran stuff like Ald'ruhn-style buildings and play up the Hlaalu/Redoran conflict. You could add quest givers for each house and have quests that center on giving more control to one or the other.

Morrowind modding is ridiculously easy to get into

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I made an entire dungeon with scripts, a mini-story, and many, many rooms/caves 18 years ago when I was a 19 year old gay baby. The TES3 Kit is really easy and intuitive.

e: Before anyone asks, sadly, it was lost over time. It probably doesn't stand up to the quality of the mods we see today, but it was a testament to how easy modding is for Morrowind.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 28, 2020

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Morrowind modding is ridiculously easy to get into
I always assumed it would be complicated but I'll start checking it out. There are some things I've wanted to make.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Let's see if there's anything new on the Nexus.

Immersive Spitting mod

quote:

Makes NPCs spit randomly with visible saliva model on the floor.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Meanwhile in experimental lua server

https://streamable.com/2eusn5

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skwirl posted:

Let's see if there's anything new on the Nexus.

Immersive Spitting mod

Yeah, I saw that on the missing Discord and was like "but loving why???"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i feel like it wouldn't be very immersive if someone fancy spit on their own floor

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I would approve of a mod that made it so if you pressed a key you would either burp or fart randomly like in Grand Theft Auto 1 and 2.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

On the one hand, it's for sure a fetish thing. On the other, people spitting on the floor all the time does sound perfectly in line with Vvardenfel.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Some Goon posted:

people spitting on the floor all the time does sound perfectly in line with Vvardenfel.

First thing that popped into my head

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Node posted:

I would approve of a mod that made it so if you pressed a key you would either burp or fart randomly like in Grand Theft Auto 1 and 2.
The good thing about a Morrowind overhaul to make it play like space station 13 is it would only be about 20% jankier overall

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Should I be using OpenMW or regular?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Regular has better mods and looks nicer, openmw works on linux

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Regular lets you use lua mods.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If by regular you mean "MGEXE-Lua on MCP'ed exe", then regular. Unless you use Linux or something.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
How do people feel about the Spellmaking Matches Editor in the MCP?

I accepted it as a fact of life that to do the equivalent damage to a vanilla spell I'd have to set the duration to twice as long and the magnitude twice as low to catch up to the same magicka cost. It always felt weird to me I couldn't make a copy of Firebite, I'd have to make an extended-duration version to not make a more costly one.

Using it, now all my spells can just be "50 damage" and it costs the same as it would if I had bought it from a vendor. Downside is there's no more reason to make a "10 damage for 5 seconds" spells, which kind of felt neat and fiddly, but... I guess those were really only ever just a work-around for a system that treated the player's spells differently.

I only ever use custom spells because I hate having a messy list of random names cluttering up my spelllist, so my spelllist always looks like;

(HARM.!SORT)///////
(harm.loc)"Orb, Fire"
(harm.loc)"Orb, Frost"
(harm.you)"Fire"
(harm.you)"Frost"
(HIDE.!SORT)///////
(hide.me)"etcetc"

which makes life 100 times easier.

Is it an unfair advantage, though? Does that make the player too powerful? I think it ends up being the same amount of damage for the same amount of magicka, just the damage is stretched an extra few seconds. But magic is already weaker in ways than pure melee, where you can just, romperstomp someone with an axe dead in one hit anyway, but casters gotta deal with reflect and resistances.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I love farming (both small and large scale), base/home/fort building, and industry stuff in video games. Are there any good mods for this? There's one farming mod in the OP that I got but there are so many house/base mods I don't know where to start. Also if there are other/better farming mods I'd love to hear it.

Only lore friendly or lore neutral mods, please!

e: Are the houses from the Morrowind Abodes mods free in-game? I'd like to buy or otherwise earn a house if at all possible but I'll settle for something free if it's very good.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 10, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

a7m2 posted:

I love farming (both small and large scale), base/home/fort building, and industry stuff in video games. Are there any good mods for this? There's one farming mod in the OP that I got but there are so many house/base mods I don't know where to start. Also if there are other/better farming mods I'd love to hear it.

Only lore friendly or lore neutral mods, please!

e: Are the houses from the Morrowind Abodes mods free in-game? I'd like to buy or otherwise earn a house if at all possible but I'll settle for something free if it's very good.

There's several mods that allow building houses.

Have a look at the (rather dated but then Morrowind) empirical morrowind modlist.

One mod in particular I like a lot is morrowind crafting + addons, which adds a ton of crafting skills that let you make anything in the game. You might want to edit the variable (or set it via console) that governs training speed though. Should be in the documentation or post here and I'll tell you what to type into your console to find it.

It doesn't let you build houses but it does let you redecorate them, which is the next best thing. But there's mods that let you build houses outright, too.

I also like using wildlife, birdlife and waterlife mods, along with extra gems. YMMV but it's all very fun.

There's a ton of mods offering deeper gameplay.

e: made this a bit shorter since I didn't give a straight answer anyway

e2: I actually find crafting in modded Morrowind more fun than modded Skyrim, owing to how the economy isn't complete garbage (or really, well, exists, at all).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 10, 2020

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I found a housing mod that seems to do everything I want it to do: Welcome Home
But I've also been eyeying RandomPal's awesome looking city overhauls like Sadrith Mora - seat of power of House Telvanni.
I'm guessing they won't be compatible but on the off-chance: has anyone tried using both the Welcome Home mod and RandomPal's city overhaul mods with any success?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

a7m2 posted:

I found a housing mod that seems to do everything I want it to do: Welcome Home
But I've also been eyeying RandomPal's awesome looking city overhauls like Sadrith Mora - seat of power of House Telvanni.
I'm guessing they won't be compatible but on the off-chance: has anyone tried using both the Welcome Home mod and RandomPal's city overhaul mods with any success?

I think it's compatible with Sadrith Mora's overhaul--I don't use RP's Sadrith but I use most of the mods it was built off of, and few things seem to put anything in that spot. I know it cooperates with RP's Gnisis-lite, which it doesn't with the full HoTV Gnisis. Vivec's apartments are fine, except with Rethinking Vivec, because it puts an apartment in the waistworks and Rethinking Vivec merges the waistworks in the FQ. It's fine with any Tel Vos mods I've seen. Ald-Ruhn home is an interior so that one works. Mar Gaan is outside the town walls so it's compatible there for the most part. Bitter coast houses and Tel Mora, Tel Branora, were all fine from what I remember.

Not sure about Balmora, I use Kilcunda's with second floors and balconies instead of what RP used as a base.

Worst to worst, just editing Welcome Home and wholesale moving the house in the construction set is pretty simple if you find one that fits poorly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Morrowind Abodes are still my favorite housing mods. Aside from Vivec they're small, decent storage, and really well integrated into the towns. No quests/buy options which might be a deal breaker, they're just there are free. Also the Balmora one is in a really popular spot for modders (up the stairs from the main entrance square towards the Morag Tong/Hllaulu guild halls. Doesn't seem to show up on a basic google search so I'll just put it here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZKtpHygLJsIwZU3-yEwefwr76cULDsxn/view?usp=sharing

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I think it's compatible with Sadrith Mora's overhaul--I don't use RP's Sadrith but I use most of the mods it was built off of, and few things seem to put anything in that spot. I know it cooperates with RP's Gnisis-lite, which it doesn't with the full HoTV Gnisis. Vivec's apartments are fine, except with Rethinking Vivec, because it puts an apartment in the waistworks and Rethinking Vivec merges the waistworks in the FQ. It's fine with any Tel Vos mods I've seen. Ald-Ruhn home is an interior so that one works. Mar Gaan is outside the town walls so it's compatible there for the most part. Bitter coast houses and Tel Mora, Tel Branora, were all fine from what I remember.

Not sure about Balmora, I use Kilcunda's with second floors and balconies instead of what RP used as a base.

Worst to worst, just editing Welcome Home and wholesale moving the house in the construction set is pretty simple if you find one that fits poorly.

Thank you!

Balmora definitely doesn't work. Maybe I'll try to learn how to use the construction set.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

a7m2 posted:

Thank you!

Balmora definitely doesn't work. Maybe I'll try to learn how to use the construction set.

It's fairly easy. I learned how to use it when I was... 14? 15? You'll want to set Welcome Home as the active file, and select ALL the bits of the Balmora house at the same time and move it all together to somewhere else, including the exit markers. Make back-up before you fuss with it just in case.

Welcome Home is really cute and worth the effort to make compatible, although I still end up living in my own custom-built houses pretty quickly anyway. It's basically like playing with Lego all over again. I'd argue it's worth the effort learning how the CS works, and what all the pieces are, so you can build a house that's tailored to what you want out of it. In my current playthrough I spent the first 100 days in a custom built pod in Sadrith Mora, which had a bottom floor magic lab and a levitate-access-only living room just above it. Was super cozy!

Learning the kit is useful beyond that anyway in that if you encounter something in a mod that bothers you, it becomes super easy to tweak it to fit your playthrough better. If that's just, modifying a modded location to be cozier for you, or removing something that you disagree with. So long as you aren't, like, uploading edited versions of peoples' mods without permission, I don't think there's any stigma to tweaking things to suit your own playthrough's whims.

Altho it's morrowind modding it used to be a huge egofest a long time ago idk how it is these days.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 12, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone play Skyrim Home of the Nords? Is it worth adding to an install that’s already got Tamriel Rebuilt?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

It's fairly easy. I learned how to use it when I was... 14? 15? You'll want to set Welcome Home as the active file, and select ALL the bits of the Balmora house at the same time and move it all together to somewhere else, including the exit markers. Make back-up before you fuss with it just in case.

Welcome Home is really cute and worth the effort to make compatible, although I still end up living in my own custom-built houses pretty quickly anyway. It's basically like playing with Lego all over again. I'd argue it's worth the effort learning how the CS works, and what all the pieces are, so you can build a house that's tailored to what you want out of it. In my current playthrough I spent the first 100 days in a custom built pod in Sadrith Mora, which had a bottom floor magic lab and a levitate-access-only living room just above it. Was super cozy!

Learning the kit is useful beyond that anyway in that if you encounter something in a mod that bothers you, it becomes super easy to tweak it to fit your playthrough better. If that's just, modifying a modded location to be cozier for you, or removing something that you disagree with. So long as you aren't, like, uploading edited versions of peoples' mods without permission, I don't think there's any stigma to tweaking things to suit your own playthrough's whims.

Altho it's morrowind modding it used to be a huge egofest a long time ago idk how it is these days.

I also learned how to use it around that age! It's coming back to me slowly. I didn't bother with the Balmora house yet because it also changes the path nodes and I messed up twice trying to fix that but I did make a little patch for Sadrith Mora. I just deleted two houses randomperson adds in the same location that don't really seem to really matter. I'll slowly go through the locations and see what I can do. I really like both of the mods so getting them to work together would be awesome.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I just realized who you are! Do you know if your Vivec Waistworks Expanded mod - which looks awesome - will work with Welcome Home without modding? And if not, is it a relatively easy fix? I don't mind moving some objects around but like I mentioned in an earlier post I managed to mess up the path nodes twice so I don't really want to mess around with more complicated stuff right now.

e: sorry I just re-read the description which says it is. Awesome!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

a7m2 posted:

I just realized who you are! Do you know if your Vivec Waistworks Expanded mod - which looks awesome - will work with Welcome Home without modding? And if not, is it a relatively easy fix? I don't mind moving some objects around but like I mentioned in an earlier post I managed to mess up the path nodes twice so I don't really want to mess around with more complicated stuff right now.

e: sorry I just re-read the description which says it is. Awesome!

I think the absolute worst you can run into is doubled hallway pieces stacked on top of one another in that one part in the FQ waistworks, in which case you can just ~ disable them in-game to leave the correct one. I tried to keep the vivec mod as compatible as possible with as much as possible.

I don't even think it doubles there, though, in my game it seems to be cooperating fine?

GBH I'm using the Molag Mar X mod that adds a small village to its base and more things on the top to feel like a place people live, which is neat, but it conflicts with Welcome Home... so I just console-disabled the welcome home house in-game to clear up the space and called it a day. It's not an elegant fix but it sure gets the job done.

There's a kind of... making mods cooperate together has a cleansing feeling to it, like tidying up a messy room. It's really satisfying in a way that's probably not supposed to be.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I figured out pathing! It's really easy and I have no idea why I accidentally deleted everything twice before. I made a little trailing path to test it and some NPC happily walked along it.
My edits are pretty sloppy but I moved the Balmora and Sadrith Mora houses. If I encounter more issues I'll know I can fix it pretty easy going forward.

One question: Some flags and grass is kinda floating in mid-air in my existing saves after enabling these mods. Is there a way to fix that or do I need to restart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Did you edit the terrain? Grass mods are only set up for the terrain they're created on, changing that is a big headache

E: not at a computer atm but if you use tesame you should be able to manually delete the terrain edits and be okay. Ask flock :)