Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
It is really that easy. Download the hair replacers you like. There are many. I used a hybrid of Westly's and Visages of Vvardenfell. Open hair in nifscope. Click on ear. It will highlight a 'branch' in the text area. Right click on this, and select remove branch. Some hairs have both ears as separate objects, so you'll have to do that twice in that case. Either way, after the ears are gone, save the mesh and you're done. It literally takes no time at all, if you have nifscope installed and can find the hair meshes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Krowley posted:

Because things work when I don't use it. I've disabled every esp and rolled back all exe changes, but the only thing that makes any difference is not launching with MWSE.

I had this problem too, and it persisted for months, and no one could help me. Asked in multiple areas, got people thinking I was an idiot, or trying to run MSWE and MGEXE together or variations on that because apparently "I crash if I run the newest version of MSWE, or any version of MGEXE" isn't simple enough to understand. I finally tried changing the DEP settings for Morrowind and that fixed it.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

garth ferengi posted:

What the hell is this

One of the biggest reasons I tell people to AVOID LGNPCs, and NEVER recommend the thing. Seriously.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
LGNPC Tel-Uvirith has plenty of 'non-sexy' annoying. Having to cure your tower of blight sucks. Having some idiot walk in and claim this should be his tower sucks more. My least favorite LGNPC module is the one that re-did some Redoran town to be a bunch of Dunmer supremacists, and did absolutely nothing. Else. Just made everyone in that town look like they were trying to top Orvas Dren and the KKK in terms of nasty racism. It didn't add anything to the experience, it didn't elaborate on existing concepts in the area, it just turned this boring little settlement into a racist hellhole.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Fargo Fukes posted:

None of my alchemy ingredient merchants are restocking at all, even if I wait days :mad:

What funhating mod or balance patch has done this to me? I'm running with MGSO and Morrowind Rebirth and not much else.

In the thread on the Bethesda forums it was mentioned Morrowind Rebirth did this. Stuporstar gave them her code to switch up restocking so it still actually restocks and is sortof balanced, but I guess they haven't implemented it yet if they plan to.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

kazr posted:

I'm trying to hunt down 'vanilla friendly' texture packs and graphic improvements.

So far I have,

Connary Textures
Better Clothes & More Better Clothes
Better Bodies (not a fan but better clothes requires it)
Westley's Pluginless Head/Hair Replacer
Darknut's Creatures, Weapons, & Armor
StarWarsGuys Detailed Rugs & Tapestries
& Better Dieties

What I like about all these is that they pretty much just increase the resolution of Bethesda's original textures. Thinking of grabbing Canadian Ice's robe pack, but on the fence.

Why not use this robe pack? Covers males too, less weird clipping.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

The Colonel posted:

I'm on the part of Rise of House Telvanni where I need to plant evidence somewhere in Orvas Dren's home. Only, there's one problem. I don't know where the gently caress to plant it. The journal entry says his desk, but the advisor says I need to plant it in his... documents chest? What? There are only two chests I can find, and neither they, nor the desk, work for this quest.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if anyone here has gone through RoHT, I have to ask, in case I can't find it myself: Where the gently caress do I plant the evidence to frame Orvas Dren? Because either I'm blind and don't notice it right in front of me, or this mod just does a terrible job of conveying what I need to do.

I read that if you have animated containers it can break this part of the quest. I haven't gotten this far though, so I don't know for sure.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
You could just disable animated containers for a bit, retry and see if things work. Then enable them again later. Make a backup first obviously, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Otherwise you have to find some way of figuring out the quest stages, and unless that's posted online somewhere, you're probably stuck looking at the quests in the CK until you find the right stage of the right one. There may be another way to check but I'm not familiar enough with all of Morrowind's tools to be able to tell you.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

I think what Morrowind really needs is to let players create fully developed characters of whatever level and abilities they choose at the start of the game. Personally, I've leveled up enough characters in this game that I'd much rather go into a new playthrough with an in-game menu at character creation and just pick out everything I want from the start including all my skill levels, spells, and gear in my inventory, along with what guilds and quest lines my character has already completed.

I'd like to step off the boat as a fully leveled Nerevarine with Dagoth Ur dead, or maybe as a fully decked out Grandmaster of the Morag Tong, or as the Telvanni Archmagister who already knows every spell in the game, or maybe a buffed up Nord from Skaal village who just goes out and punches bears to death all day, that kind of thing.

It seems like the game would be a lot more fun to mess around in if you had all your messing around tools available from the start.

I think you're looking for this.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Is there a semi-balanced version of Magical Trinkets of Tamriel? I downloaded v4, wandered into a random bandit cave and found a trinket in every single barrel and crate I looked in. Had to be about 10000 gold's worth in the first room alone. Little bit ridiculous. I don't remember it being like this last time I played with it.

I'd be happy with a version with JUST the awesome rings you had to find stones for. Those rings were awesome. I'm not sure how to remove everything else without breaking everything though. I did change prices to be about 1/10th what they are normally for *some* balance though when I used it.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
If you're taking suggestions for the Chocolate pack, can I recommend this?

I haven't had time to test it out unfortunately, but if it actually works it would be amazing. I had to turn the difficulty down to 0 AND then toggle godmode anyway to defeat this glitchy lich the one time I got that far.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
She's the lich in Tribunal who appears during the Crimson Plague quest. Apparently if you're level 50 she'll have like 47,200 health or something equally insane because it multiplies her health to be 800x your level instead of 100x. It should be around 1720 health.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I think what it does is just add a bunch of buildings around the outside of cities so they seem bigger. I'll check the mod to see if this is the case.

That's prettymuch it. It doesn't add new NPCs, new interiors, or anything that actually changes gameplay. It just adds a bunch of decorative buildings. There's a bit more about them on the Bethesda forums. It looks cool, but I'd rather get something for the massive FPS hit than just more decorations personally.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I'm trying to install MGE XE but as soon as I do and start the game, it immediately crashes to the desktop with no error message. The game works fine up until I install it. UAC is off and I've got the game installed outside of program files. I've done some googleing and haven't been able to resolve it. Any ideas?

Is DEP turned off? If that doesn't work, try disabling the internal script extender. I forgot what it was called. But there's a checkbox somewhere that lets you turn it off.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

boho posted:

Oh cool, thanks for the tip. I must not have run into it yet. I've never actually played Morrowind much past the Balmora region so lots is new to me.

A lock spell should be sold by the Dunmer woman on the bottom floor of the Caldera Mages Guild. It's weak, but that makes it all the better for practice, and you should be able to cast it even if you suck at alteration.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Did you register the BSAs in the ini file?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Of course, Great House Telvanni, also known as Best House, said 'gently caress this poo poo, it's stupid and we're not playing along' and refused to join.

What about Dres? They're possibly even more pro-slave than the Telvanni. Were they just erased?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Hog Inspector posted:

Has anyone found a good replacement for the incredibly wimpy male breton sound files?

You could just rename the Orc ones. They actually use the same voice actor (Wes Johnson..)

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Schrodingers cat posted:

Edit:

I tried re-installing oblivion and installed FCOM and tweaked everything wrong so that leaving the sewers made me surrounded by about 30 wolves and 5 black widows spiders who 1 shot me.

I'm good at modding.

If you're going back to Oblivion, ditch FCOM and get Maskar's Overhaul. It's actively being worked on, has a tweakable INI, and he actually listens to people.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'd be mostly in favor of merging the Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim threads into one megathread- none of them get much activity. Then have Skyrim Modding keep as its own thread since it's active enough.

Yeah, I think one massive Lore chat thread would be fine with me.

I'm not so sure about keeping an Oblivion modding thread going though. You could just link to something like this for a basic Oblivion setup in the OP of generic TES thread. If anyone wants to talk more about Oblivion modding, I guess they could in that thread too, because I don't think that there will be much modchat for games other than Skyrim which will keep it's own modding thread.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Just throw in Arena and Daggerfall as well.

That is not a good Oblivion modding guide. Half the links go to dead fileplanet, it mostly focuses on graphics and not gameplay and it recommends FCOM which has fallen out of favor and been replaced with Maskar's Overhaul.

Having a OP give an overview of the series then 1 morrowind modding post and 1 oblivion modding post seems fair enough.

That was just the first one I thought of. I didn't exactly examine it (though I use Maskars as well). I'm not sure I know of any others .. except maybe random people's modlists on tumblr. Like the one I made last week.

Gobblecoque posted:

Problem with creating a decent Oblivion mod guide is that does anyone even play Oblivion anymore?

Some people do. The Bethesda mod forum is still pretty active even, and there's a new mod released just about every day on Nexus.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The problem with Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas modding is that 99% of the mod guides you find online are horribly outdated, many of them still recommending Nexus Mod Manager and BOSS over Mod Organizer and LOOT. Even the New Vegas thread here is active but the OP doesn't list all of the graphical mods that truly give the game a facelift or still recommends some outdated mods.

The Skyrim thread here kind of has that problem too but it's currently getting it's first post overhauled to be more up to date and so long as you're not putting tits on an Argonian or something equally weird and creepy, what's considered to be the best mods are pretty subjective for that game.

Mod Organizer isn't that great for Oblivion. I tried using it for months, and it's just more annoying to use than Wrye Bash is, and caused weird crashes. It also didn't like some of the mods I'm using, and the support guy doesn't really care? Also you can't use LODgen with much success, or couldn't last time I tried it. MO is great for New Vegas and for Skyrim, but not for Oblivion. Loot also isn't optimized for Oblivion, and can actually organize things in such a way that Oblivion will crash. Boss is still being updated for Oblivion, so for Oblivion specifically, Boss is the way to go. NMM is garbage, OBMM isn't much better.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How's TESModManager?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5010/

It claims to be the spiritual successor of OBMM. I'm normally okay with just using Wrye Bash 99% of the time for Oblivion but it doesn't handle OMODs very well.

I've seen it, but I haven't actually tried using it. I avoid using OMODs, and if I have to use them, I just use OBMM. After all the hassle I went through to switch from MO to Wrye, I'm loathe to mess with things further.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Yeah I'll need specific examples of the weirdo sexual fantasy stuff, just looking through the mod in the editor I don't see anything that stands out (although I'm not digging into it too deep at the moment)

There's a breton slave in Molag Mar with her master. If you talk to the master he talks about how her main purpose is to be raped, and how this is totally acceptable since she's a slave. Maybe they cut that out. I don't know. There's also a merchant in Ald'ruhn who has his wife/apprentice locked in her room for misbehaving. Yeah, NPC is there in game, but she could just not like visitors, or not want to be interrupted. But in LGNPC she was locked in there and drinking booze because she had nothing else to do.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Or just turning down the draw distance, to like 10 or less.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
You could also use UESP's complete map. On your phone, tablet, or on another screen while playing. I don't have a paper map and I've gotten on fine using that. When I use a map at all.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
They also had to scrap a lot of what they were working on due to severe performance issues.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I'm not so sure given how they tend to try and stick to 'vanilla' a lot of the time even when people request that they don't.. like all their heads are based on vanilla heads, and pluginless replacers are hard to find. A lot of their textures are really low res. The armor and clothing needed/needs BB patches. But then they add clutter all over the place which is what causes the performance issues for the most part. I think they sortof assume that most people won't use a ton of mods, except maybe theirs? They may assume that fewer people are using OpenMW too because of that.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

They're still just recreating the vanilla game. Making it prettier and functional is what mods are for.

What's the clutter they're adding? Pretty sure OpenMW does not modify the environment (or meshes and textures) in any way without mods.

I was actually talking about TR. Not OpenMW. And why I think OpenMW doesn't mean TR will actually pick up speed.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Mortimer posted:

I've been going through almost every Morrowind quest mod I can think of and some of them are really good! And some of them are bad!

Building up Uvirith's Legacy / Uvirith's Legacy - C+/B+ - Uvirith's Legacy is a neat housing mod that makes a somewhat lore-friendly expansion of the Telvanni house you acquire. My one gripe is I can't find a chest to dump all my crap. That's all I want. I'm not a "meticulously sort all my gems from my lockpicks" and "display my swords on a table" guy. I want 2-3 chests I can say "this is for weapons, this is for armor, cya". Maybe it has it and I'm dumb and can't find them! Building Up Uvirith's Legacy builds a city around Uvirith's Legacy. I don't like the layout of the city, some of the buildings clip into the tower roots, the landscape is all wonky, and most of all it doesn't feel like a town. What it goes for is very ambitious, but I can't help but feel Green Uvirith is better.

There are chests you can just dump your gear in and go though. They're hidden behind some secret panels.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Ah, I probably just didn't find them. Housing mod creators listen up: Have your teleport send you directly to a room with a bed and a massive chest with a door leading outside. If I can't fit my mace of Aevar Stone-Singer in your chest it's not big enough :black101:

Um. The teleport platform is right next to the two secret panels. Each secret panel has a 500 weight chest inside. Or, you could just dump your stuff on the floor, since it isn't going to despawn, or phase through the floors, or do anything freaky like in Skyrim/Oblivion. There's a bag of holding too... o_0 .. I think you really did not spend enough time with Uvirith's Legacy. Did you maybe also miss the library and the treasury with loads of display cases and 14 more 500 weight chests?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Mortimer posted:

500 isn't enough for my weapons. :jerkbag: "clearly you didn't search every nook for the proper chests to separate your loot by color and weight" c'mon dude. I'm no weirdo who pimps out his virtual castle by putting things in display cases, but maybe you missed that part. If I have to spend more than 3 minutes finding where to put my daedric crescent I'm not going to use that as a house.

Then UL clearly is not a great housemod for you. But it does have a lot of questy stuff that's pretty awesome that you may have missed. Like 3 or so companions? Lots of great dialogue? Every character added by this mod has character? But whatever.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Mortimer posted:

The rest of it is great but it is not a housemod for me, yes. I have done a lot of the side stuff and it is good. I would sarcastically ask if you made this mod because you're defending it so fervently but I know that's not true.

Lol, I wouldn't stick up like this for my own stuff.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
"We need to work like a game studio!" .. that seems to be kinda.. impossible considering. And working like a game studio is more likely to have more people quit than fewer.

edit: Does anyone know how to set up better-bodies clothes correctly? I want to edit the original ESP to fix the horrible mess that's the Mara's set (terrible textures, terrible meshes, clips with everything, full of fail), and replace it with the BB versions of the clothing that the vanilla set used? I can manage to make it use the vanilla meshes, but I haven't been able to properly set up things so the outfit uses the BB versions of the vanilla meshes.

Moryrie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 13, 2015

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Anyone here have quest suggestions? I want more things to do.. but nothing I'm seeing is really grabbing my attention. LGNPC adds stuff to do, but I had bad luck finding mainly creepy content, and places it doesn't touch feel really weird in comparison. Tamriel Rebuilt is too far away for me to get to it without putting everything else on hold, and then if you want the main version there's basically a cliff at the edge of no more content land, or.. you get a lot of ghost towns with the alpha.

I haven't tried Rise of House Telvanni. But I'm queasy about it. I haven't tried Sotha Sil Expanded because I have to slog through the entirety of Tribunal to get to it.

Magical Missions was good (pretty short though), I've liked all of Stuporstar's work, Love in the Time of the Daedra is pretty good though conflicts a bit with GCD, and the Sable Dragon is neat, though I'm iffy on some of the resources it uses.

I'd prefer something that doesn't add it's own little landmass to get to, that's mostly lore friendly, that isn't trying to be dumb and edgy, and that preferably has a bunch of quests on it's own rather than just one dungeon, or 5 fetch quests for the same NPC.

Clothing mod suggestions would also be welcome, as I'm having trouble finding clothes with decent enchanting values that are not just recolors of the vanilla stuff, crappy non-bb meshes and all.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Atrayonis posted:

Hm, how about those?

Daedric Sorcery if you want to get to work to summon some Daedric Lords. As far as I know (haven't played it) it's lore friendly enough since summoning Daedric Lords is actually a thing, nevermind how apocalyptic Oblivion makes it sound.

Blasphemous Revenants if "to do" at any time involves serious necromancy. It's based on the book of the same name so yes, lore friendly.

Vvardenfell Druglord if you want to brew and peddle skooma.

Some more genericy quests are added by Tales of Tel Branora and Tales of the Bitter Coast I don't know about their quality, although they used to be semi-popular way back.

(Joke answer: The Dwemeri Secret :tinfoil:)

I tried the Tales of quests a while back, and found a pretty irritating problem with both them, and the Mystic Path quest that was released by the same author. Basically, if you do a quest semi out of order.. (IE, you explore the smuggler cave before talking to a bottle selling Argonian in Seyda Neen, or check a body in the tomb with Mentor's Ring before talking to an NPC in the back rooms of a monastery in Vivec...) you break the quest forever and it will never be out of your quest log even if you can finish the final objective. Like Monastery lady wouldn't touch the journal she wanted me to retrieve because I already had it in my inventory because I'd already explored that tomb and found that body. They'd have been ok if I didn't keep accidentally breaking them because I didn't know that I was supposed to do things in a specific order, and I trashed it rather than become paranoid about doing anything before having an NPC tell me to do it.

As for the rest.. not particularly interested in necromancy or drug dealing I'm afraid. The other two sound interesting though. Thank you for your suggestions.

edit: Apparently Tales of Seyda Neen is by a different person (Mystic Path/Tel Branora dude also did 'Tales of the Bitter Coast, so I got confused). Either way, same sort of bug.

Moryrie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 6, 2015

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Mortimer posted:

RoHT is pretty good actually. If you can ignore a handful of weird moments and a bad character I'd say it's one of the best quest mods out there.

Julan is the best companion and has a boatload of quests. If you like talky quests and aren't far into the main quest pick this one up.

Suran Underworld is grimdark weirdness but it's another faction that acts as a criminal element in Morrowind.

Sotha Sil Expanded is great if you have the patience for it. If you are even a little bit apprehensive about your love of dwemer archetecture, do not attempt it.

Illuminated Order is more about discovering how to become a lich (and does allow you to become one) but is more like an Indiana Jones type adventure of discovery. It's pretty rad.

Maybe I'll give ROHT a chance then. Though I do know there's a lot of lame quests an archmagister should be delegating to other people >>. I do have/use Julan. I'm... not really interested in the Bloodfang Tong, as that sounds like the sortof edginess I'm looking to avoid. And one reason I really am not sure I want to try SSE is not only because Tribunal is a slog, but also because isn't levitation also disabled in SSE? It's irritating enough to not have it in Tribunal. but I've seen pictures of SSE and I really would want levitation to work there. Illuminated Order I'm avoiding because I'm a necrophobe who isn't too interested in lichdom, or necromancy, and also because I already know the guildmaster or w/e is literally from England.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

This makes me cringe so hard. Like, it's not actually that difficult to make quests work properly if consider for one minute that the player could accidentally trigger X to gently caress up Z and make sure your scripting works around that, but no that would require not half-assing it.

I wish I could come up with some good quest mods for you, because I'm just about as fussy and really hate poo poo that sticks out and yells, "Look at me, I a mod full of bad player wish-fulfillment and poorly thought out fetch/kill quests!" But I spend so much time modding, I don't actually sit down and play much.

All I can recommend is maybe check out some episodes of Morrowind Modding Showcases and skip to the quest mod section to see if anything looks good to you.

The closest thing to a quest mod I've done, other than UL, is try to breathe some life into the original side quests with Quest Tweaks and Alternatives, by adding more options in how you can complete them. I've done mostly the mage-based quests so far, because I know them the best, with some overlap between the Thieves and Fighters Guild. Eventually I'll get to all the factions and side quests, but what's currently up is playable.

As for RoHT, I've been sorely tempted to fix some of the dumber poo poo (there's not a lot) in my RoHT Add-on for UL. I've kinda been tasked with adding user requests in that, because RoHT is done and not going to update again. I've been reluctant to alter or remove content though (like those easy-to-kill argonians wearing full Adamantium armor somewhere too easy to stumble into).

I have been watching the Mod Showcases... though (and I feel really bad for this) I start laughing every time he says, 'As you can see here' because he says it soo much. He's better at turning me away from mods I might have been curious about than actually recommending some more to me though. (And he's great at making me feel like a negative rear end in a top hat). And the one I did have very high hopes for (a map mod with a quest, yay) turned out to be one of the shortest mods I'd ever played (4 small objectives, but only like 1 stage?) which was disheartening. I am using your quest tweaks too, as well as about everything else you've released except the Grimiores and Luggage.

I'll try ROHT again. I may take notes though.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Woebin posted:

So I wanted to install a few of the bigger things listed in the OP, and just figured I'd check in and see if this list jumps out to anyone as a terrible idea (as in there being known conflicts or redundancies and so forth):
The Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul (MGSO)
The Chocolate Pack
Tamriel Rebuilt
Tamriel Rebuilt Groundcover
Morrowind Rebirth

Plus some smaller ones:
Uvirith's Legacy
Books of Vvardenfell
Propylons

I'm not asking that someone go through the list and do my work for me in figuring out if it'll work, of course. Just wondering if this jumps out at someone in an obvious way.

MSGO and Rebirth have some conflicts and extra steps you'll want to take to make them work together. (Also there's a patch for MSGO somewhere you'll want to find/install). Chocolate Pack has a lot of the stuff that's in MSGO, so if you're installing that, make sure you're not adding redundancies or things that might conflict with rebirth. Some of the things in Chocolate Pack and MSGO have either been updated or made obsolete by other mods. And I don't know if Uvirith's Legacy is compatible with Rebirth or not. Be sure you really look at Rebirth's readme though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Thoughts on headpacks? .. I'm starting over (again) because stuff happened, and I'm unhappy with my headpacks again as well. I really want to like Mackom's heads.. but ... He didn't do such a great job with Bretons compared to.. everyone else. Visages of Vvardenfell is kinda all over the place. As is Westley's. Better Heads is worse, and takes up an esp slot for no good reason.