Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, I guess we'll have to classify that: :iiam:
Firefox has apparently decided to stop doing what it was doing, so with the exception of the dtruss stack traces courtesey of dtrace, there's no way of knowing, since a zfs diff of two snapshots taken from before it started and after it started happening shows that the only files changed are a the .out files that I piped the output from dtruss to (so unlike situations where someone claims "they didn't change nothing", I can prove that I didn't change nothing).

qsvui posted:

Is there any setting to automatically delete history older than a certain time? For example, don't keep history older than 3 months.
This feature used to exist a long long time ago (more than a decade ago), but it seems it's long-gone?

There is an option in about :config that's called 'places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages' which might be used to emulate it, if you know roughly how many pages you visit a month?

EDIT: Or do this ↓?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Well, he can do ^tab to switch between the most recent tab and the second most recent tab, and if ctrl is held, a tab selector pops up showing up to six most recently selected tabs. That's the best I can come up with, at least.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ola posted:

Ah, global like that. Not a very useful feature. Zoom does all kinds of different things to sites and sites obviously come in all sorts of sizes.
You have no idea how frustrating it is to have poor vision and know that despite all websites having different font and design sizes, they're still not made for either people who can't see very well, or being viewed while sitting at 3 meters distance instead of 40-60cm (ie. viewing websites on a TV connected to a HTPC). I fall into both categories, depending on what I'm doing.
EDIT: The latter even has a name, it's called 10-foot user interface.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ola posted:

No I don't. I wish all web sites conformed to the best accessibility standards and everyone on the web had the same ease of use. If a global zoom level helps, that's good. But bad design and poor accessibility isn't just about size, and zoom often breaks the layout. I have more or less perfect vision, but I often find myself using reader view, because many web sites are such utter shitpiles.
It's been ages since web design broke when zooming; quite often nowadays with containers zooming just gets you a mobile design which is perfectly serviceable for 10-foot view.

The Merkinman posted:

I don't think WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) cares about the 10-foot user interface.
Maybe not, but nobody cares about WCAG so :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's insanely annoying if you use uBlock in "3rd-party scripts blocked unless whitelisted" mode, because now even resources that used to count as first-party are now revealed to be on some CDN edge network and thus blocked.

I use ublock for adblocking first, page loading speed and resource use second, and privacy a distant third. So just personally it way exceeds how much I might care about stealth tracker scripts spying on me vs hassle to make the internet work.

edit: also the other potential pitfall that I've seen is where adspamcdn.com (which I don't have whitelisted) is actually CNAME'd to normal AWS or Akami or Cloudflare (which I do have whitelisted because the internet runs on those). I haven't experimented to see exactly what happens there, I think adspamcdn's scripts are still blocked unless both are whitelisted. But it definitely makes things harder to disentangle when you just want to make a website work.
There's not a way to turn it off and restore the old behaviour, is there? Because I'm bothered by it too.
At the very least it helps to set a shortcut to the 'relax blocking mode' option in the uBlock Origin dashboard, since you can then try a key combination which automatically reloads the page and might make it work.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

poo poo, I probably should have mentioned that while I was posting huh? :downs:

On the main settings page, on the line "I am an advanced user" there's a little gears icon. Click that.
Then find cnameUncloak in that list and set it to false.
Advanced user options is also required for dynamic filtering, so of course I have it on. :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gorhill, the guy behind uBlock Origin, has done an astonishing amount of work to keep blocking in Firefox at its best, even doing part of the extension in webassembly to speed things up as well as implementing all the behind-the-scenes filtering that the add-on offers.
I'm fairly sure that once Google pulls their destroy-uBlock-Origin scissor switch and destroys the APIs used in favour of their newly-implemented and newer but neutered ones, that there'll be even more of a reason to recommend Firefox.
Dude deserves a lot of credit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In case you've been wondering about WebAssembly being used to play C/C++ code in Firefox, you can read this blog entry to learn more about how it's done.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Sorry I must go back, I altered to much already...
Thank you for time traveling, friend. I hadn't managed to locate the second OID, and it was bothering me so much.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One thing I do like about Firefox 75 is how even on my 10 year old laptop it's become so fast, with all of the additions that Mozilla have been putting in as a result of the switch away from XUL, that if I click the Open Updated Threads from SALR:Redux it still does the whole animation and loading of pages without lagging.
And that's without any of the compile-time options for improving the speed of Firefox that're enabled in the official builds, like link-time optimization and everything else enabled that comes with --enable-optimize.

So it's not just all silly UX updates that a make a lot of us go :corsair:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 7, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hifi posted:

Why don't you press control L instead of mousing all the way up to the bar
Who're you talking to?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

isndl posted:

That they are suddenly springing default browser telemetry on us says to me that they have no idea why people are leaving. All they can see is their usage plummet and now they're desperately trying to figure out where the users are going, probably so they can chase features like they've been doing with Chrome for years. And has been said by others in this thread in the past: if you keep changing things to make Firefox identical to Chrome, what's stopping me from switching to Chrome?
And all the people who're likely to turn off the telemetry are the people who might leave because of these changes they're implementing willy-nilly without using testpilot projects.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Until a browser does add-on introspection like Firefox does, which enables ublock origin to function as well as it does, and ublock origin exists on that browser, I won't use anything else.
Tampermonkey or an equivalent is also pretty much mandatory, but ublock origin is the only must-have.

This, naturally, completely excludes anything based off Webkit+Blink+V8/Chromium/whatever the Google engine is called, and that's +90% of the browser market.

Ihmemies posted:

I can't say how long I have been using Vivaldi. Years? The UI and functionality has stayed the same. No need to fiddle with settings and add-ons and fixes all the time.. more time to play dota instead :dance:
If you're looking for a turn-key solution, that sounds like a great solution.
I don't think it's for me though, because by nature and training I like being able to tweak things to my liking; it's part of the reason I run FreeBSD instead of something else (although everything else annoys me too much for various reasons).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wheany posted:

Also ctrl-tab on crome works wrong and can't be changed, afaik.
Oh, the huge manatee!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hit F7 for caret browsing!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, this loving sucks. I'm not loving going to use Chromium-based browsers, so I guess I'm stuck with w3m-img.

nielsm posted:

Has anyone talked about which supposed usability issue this change was supposed to resolve?
Of course not, because this has nothing to do with usability, it's just the classical Lennart Poettering strategy of forcing through a change, ignoring all feedback, and getting their way.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Firefox has an estimated number of work-hours on the order of 6000 person-years and an estimated cost of on the order of 350 million - partially because you have to remember that its history goes far further back than just Mozilla, it's all of Netscape and all the way back to NCSA Mosaic.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of new tabs, the only way I've found to get a new tab that's not glaring white like this:

Is to set the home preferences like this:

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently if you create a new OID called 'ui.systemUsesDarkTheme with the type integer in about :config, and set it to 1, everything becomes magically dark:

This is documented nowhere, officially.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 17, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

:confused:
85% grey is glaring white?
That's Firefox Home aka about :home - the hint is the little gear icon that's present in the top right. Blank pages aka about :blank do not have this.

EDIT: Here's an example of about :blank with ui.systemUsesDarkTheme set to 1:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 17, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

In my defense, I didn't expand the timg. :downs:
That makes it drat near impossible to see, so that does seem like a pretty good defense. :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

isndl posted:

I think something's buggered with your profile, because my Firefox is respecting system dark mode without using that config parameter. :shrug:
It's plain Firefox on Wayland, via Sway as a compositor, with FreeBSD as the underlying OS (which is less lines of code than Firefox is...)
Built with:
pre:
CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh \
PYTHON3=/usr/local/bin/python3.7 --enable-application=browser --enable-update-channel=release --disable-tests \
CC=/usr/local/bin/clang90  \
CXX=/usr/local/bin/clang++90 --disable-debug-symbols \
PKG_CONFIG=pkgconf --enable-alsa --enable-jack --enable-profiling --enable-system-ffi --enable-rust-simd --with-system-av1 --with-system-webp \
--with-system-graphite2 --with-system-harfbuzz --with-system-libvpx --with-system-jpeg=/usr/local \
PERL=/usr/local/bin/perl \
MAKE=gmake --enable-gconf --disable-install-strip --disable-libproxy --enable-official-branding --enable-startup-notification \ 
--disable-strip --enable-system-pixman --disable-updater --prefix=/usr/local --with-intl-api --with-system-bz2 --with-system-icu --with-system-libevent \
--with-system-nspr --with-system-nss --with-system-png=/usr/local --with-system-zlib
So I imagine that has something to do with it, as I haven't defined all of the usual system settings and dot-files which Unix-like desktop environments tend to set when you pick a given theme.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 17, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Applebees posted:

What theme are you using? If you use the Dark theme, about :blank and about :preferences should be dark. It should also work if you use the Default theme and your OS is set to dark mode.
Firefox theme is set to dark, but that didn't affect things about :blank and about :preferences, only about :home.
I had to also set the ui.systemUsesDarkTheme OID in about :config which isn't documented anywhere. I assume the ui.systemUsesDarkTheme OID gets set by Firefox if it detects gconf, dot-files or some other places are set to using dark themes?
FreeBSD has no central theme, and the wayland compositor doesn't implement theming either, as far as I know, since it doesn't have any window decorations - I prefer running everything in full-screen mode on a separate workspace as there are 9 of them.

Klyith posted:

Hey thanks for that! I use firefox dark theme on my laptop, and until now I'd been using a usercontent.css hack for about :blank. But it took 1/10th of a second to switch to dark from white, so loading loading up a late-night youtube produced a short flash of white light. Very annoying.

I also had a white about :blank page, using Firefox dark theme + OS (win10) light theme.
No worries! It's a weird little interaction, but at least it's fixed now and I know where to point people if I see them having the same problem.
Yeah, the late-night short-flash-of-light is what's always bothered me about the userChrome css method, which is why I used about :home with everything disabled.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

larper posted:

I would like to promote the plugin "Request Control" because it has been a major help in correcting some of the new and innovative ways that big tech is making the internet suck via URL parameters.
Hey, this is pretty loving cool! I've been looking for something like this for a while, and making do with some bad userscripts I wrote.

Applying simple regex to the problem is a much better solution, though :)
Especially because that's what they were made for.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just make me miss RSS. :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's cool.
Media playback still belongs in a program built for media playback, not in something with more lines of code than an OS.

Admittedly, it does seem like Firefox wants to be an OS, considering they brought in a fork of FreeBSDs jemalloc and have been "optimizing" the hell out of that without upstreaming any of the code.
It also seems they think they know better about how memory optimizations should work regardless of the fact that they're making software for at least 3 completely and radically different virtual memory subsystems which all behave in different ways, and support way more, including one that's based on the allocator they took.

Case in point, they decide to automatically use ALL available threads on a system to do CPU cache/area multiplex optimizations, rather than the default which is "only" four times the number of CPU threads.
Nowhere is it described why this was chosen, nor how and/or if it actually makes a difference - probably because to show the difference statistically, they'd have to do ten consecutive runs and recompiling twice takes a loving week using high-core-count build servers with almost 200GB memory to build their 20 million lines of code

Funnily enough, if you disable Firefox memory caching and use disk caching on FreeBSD, Firefox runs substantially better.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 7, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

isndl posted:

In an ideal world media playback is in a separate application, but we're living in reality where users expect things to just work even despite whatever customizations the website has done to their playback.

Mozilla bringing in a fork of an established memory manager makes perfect sense considering they're running a VM for all the JavaScript which is hogging all the memory. That it's a totally different memory manager than the OS is using is irrelevant; that VM is a big black box of a process as far as the OS is concerned. It's not the operating system's job to manage memory inside a process.

Regarding thread usage, are you sure it isn't your custom build loving things up again? Not saying Mozilla can't gently caress it up, but you've already demonstrated how a lack of config files at compile time leads to problems...
Except we wouldn't have these problems if people followed the standards, which make it quite simple to implement a third party video player (and a program to pipe the HLS or DASH stream to it) - but webdevs have decided they control the entire stack down to (remote, usually minified, and not signed - and definitely not trusted) assembly code that gets JIT'd to machine code, and therefore get to change APIs arbitrarily and on a whim.

mmap() is a system call telling the kernel to give a program an amount of memory that it can operate with, by definition that means it's up to the kernel to manage all of the memory mappings from the different processes Firefox spawns and therefore manage the memory.
If Mozilla wants to do a proper hypervisor using VT-x/AMD-V and SLAT with its own DRAM management which gets taken away from what the host OS has access to and (thin-)provisioned, that's fine but that's demonstrably not what they're doing - and I suspect they won't, because then they're responsible for the security of the hypervisor too, or would have to rely on something like virt-manager (as a library) to talk to all the different hypervisors an all the systems they support (Hyper-V, KVM, Xen, QEMU, bhyve, vmm, nvmm, and so on and so forth).

I'm talking about the default values that Mozilla ship.
I assume you're talking about this build config? Those are port-defaults, set by jbeich who has been managing the builds for Firefox on FreeBSD since 2012 when Firefox was still version 13 - and who was involved with the malloc issues.
Ultimately the build config dates back over the mozilla-firebird port all the way to the phoenix port in 2002, that was described like this: "Phoenix is a fast, minimal browser from the Mozilla project".

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 8, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jippa posted:

I am old and hate change. I really dislike the new twitter. Is there any way of keeping the old version?
Best recommendation I have is tweetedeck which never seems to change and keeps working, probably because it's what community managers who pay Twitter use?

isndl posted:

Keep in mind that piping everything out to a plugin to handle was how we ended up in the quagmire that was Flash, and understandably nobody wants to go back to that. The current system is imperfect but it works out of the box for the average user, and the major browser developers have been far better at keeping on top of security issues than plugin developers.

Firefox makes a system call to be assigned memory for use, but FF is expected to manage that memory itself hence why they implemented a memory manager to cut down on fragmentation. Tabs share processes in FF, so when one tab starts bloating they need to be able to shrink it back down without nuking the other tabs. I don't know if they're doing anything security-wise with the custom memory manager, but given the surge of interest in memory based attacks like Rowhammer in recent years I wouldn't be surprised; I know some of them were mitigated at the browser level without requiring OS patching.

I don't compile my own Firefox installs so I don't know how the build configs should look, but if you're sure that the default settings are at fault (and that precompiled releases suffer from the same performance issues you're observing), you should feel free to submit a ticket to get that fixed. My gut instinct is that if your installation has one setting missing there's probably others as well but you know your build better than me. :shrug:
Note that I'm really talking about sticking to standards which let me use mpv and youtube-dl, not calling for a return to NPAPI - which I think it deserves to be brought up is an initialism for Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface; it was one of the oldest part of Firefox, predating Mozilla itself.
I would like to think there's some sort of lee-way between NPAPI and flagrantly ignoring open web standards?

They could have complete control if they went with the libvirtmanager that I outlined. Why settle for less?

They're not performance issues I'm seeing, it's memory bloating beyond what's reasonable. Something Firefox is less-bad about than Chrome, but in degree not in kind.

Anyway, I was mostly just ranting. Since I switched to putting caching "on disk", everything is great. On-disk in this instance means ZFS ARC, which has been optimized by both Sun VM people as well as FreeBSD VM people.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

I hadn't checked out Tweetdeck in a few years now but I see it still has no real understanding of what "wide column" means.
There's a userscript fix for that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Am I the only one who really dislikes that feature? :ohdear:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

stevewm posted:

:aaa:

I.... I........
Yes, browsers were a mistake.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

biznatchio posted:

That behavior, believe it or not, is intentional. It's new as of a few months back, and is explicitly coded in. Previously it did a more traditional video fullscreen behavior, but this new approach is "better".
I know it's intentional, I'm saying I don't like it.
It's also been rolled out a lot longer than a few months.

The thing is, what's stopping it from being used elsewhere to trap users in seemingly-infinitely-recursing websites, or to MITM stuff?
It's quite trivial to design something that looks like a browser, presumably, and there are plenty of people who wouldn't look twice if the browser only changed slightly.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

What's the best Dark Mode plugin to use with the SA forums on Firefox? The one I have is mostly good the the "last read post" buttons are unreadable.
Why a dark mode plugin? Why not just a userstyle that can be installed as a userscript in TamperMonkey or its equivalents?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 28, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jippa posted:

I really want to hide the what's happening thing.
uBlock Origin has the same kind of cosmetic filters that Adblock Plus and so on also supports, all the way to when they were called filterset.g around 2005.
They basically let you block stuff based on the ID of the container or based on the nesting level that the container has.
The first option won't work for sites like twitter where they use randomly generated and periodically refreshed IDs to prevent people from blocking people, but by virtue of the design of the site itself, sections like "What's Happening" and "Global Trends" can still be blocked.
To do this, right-click on part of the element you want to zap, then click block element, and find a rule where the outline matches what you want to block and which ends in ":nth-of-type(N)" where N is an integer (it refers to the nesting level, iirc).

Unfortunately there's a new form of UX design where everything is loaded as javascript and rendered as a DOM object by javascript to html, through software like REACT, which lets sites even change the nesting level per-view if they want to make it really difficult. :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

I ranted on reddit and somebody told me a solution:

I've confirmed that it does stop the URL bar pop-up from expanding if it receives focus. And you can leave the other options enabled so you can search your history by typing in the URL bar, which is what I sometimes do.
The mind is absofuckinglutely boggled by why the gently caress that OID controls the setting, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The good part about Tweetdeck is that Twitter don't touch it. :colbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Umbreon posted:

I'm trying to find out why firefox uses huge amounts of CPU. The about :performance tab shows that my tabs will just randomly start spiking up in CPU usage for long periods of time, regardless of if they are active tabs or not. Firefox commonly takes up 20% of my CPU but can spike up to 50% for 10-15 seconds at a time, causing lag/hitching in any games I happen to be playing at the time.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?
I've found that keeping tabs open will consume more cputime than if you leave an about :blank tab open.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

uBlock origin (or uMatrix, if you wanna get freaky) really is the one-stop-shop for blocking everything from cosmetic stuff like parts of a website that annoy you, to scripts and/or images, even all the way down to blocking background and/or asynchronous javascript calls.
And more and more of it is getting implemented in webasm, which is possibly the only acceptable use of webasm.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Umbreon posted:

Noted, I'll switch out noscript for umatrix(I'm already using ublock). Thanks guys.
You can use uBlock Origin to block javascript too; quoting myself from another thread:

D. Ebdrup posted:

If you enable advanced user functionality in ublock origin, you can enable dynamic filtering which lets you have noscript-like functionality, and if you then set the "Relax blocking mode" to ctrl+alt+b, you can turn it off for individual pages with one or maybe two presses of that key combination.

EDIT: The basic ruleset I'm using might even be better than the default-deny ruleset above:
pre:
* * 3p block
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
behind-the-scene * 1p-script noop
behind-the-scene * 3p noop
behind-the-scene * 3p-frame noop
behind-the-scene * 3p-script noop
behind-the-scene * image noop
behind-the-scene * inline-script noop
no-large-media: behind-the-scene false
no-scripting: behind-the-scene false

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea, though.
Design by committee?
(A committee being the only lifeform with many mouthes, more asses, and no brain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Knormal posted:

So at my work we're finally looking at switching over from the 32-bit ESR to the 64-bit as we move from version 68 to 78, since we've finally reached the point where the majority of our PCs are on 64-bit versions of Windows. But apparently Firefox considers the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the browsers different release channels, so if I uninstall the 32-bit version and install the 64-bit it starts up with a brand new profile. It's easy enough for an experienced user to switch back with the profile manager, but this is way beyond our average user's capability.

Is there any way to force Firefox to just use the existing profile from first launch, even if it's from a different Firefox channel? I assume there's some file somewhere in that profile that tells what channel it's for, maybe I can mess with that?
This doesn't really surprise me, as Firefox has also started making even point-releases (syntax being major.minor.point, ie. 78.0.0 to 78.0.1) version-incompatible, so if you update the on-disk binary, the in-memory binary will complain that it's not the newest version.

I just tested, and it looks like for me it pops up an 'Important News' dialogue-box where it basically says you have to setup a firefox account to sync stuff - so since you're in an enterprise environment, you may want to look into setting up your own sync server, and you'll probably also want to use autoconfig to set up authentication against the syncserver (which unfortunately can't be done with group policies, I think).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 7, 2020