Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Very strange. Wonder what add-on is causing that.

Go to about :performance and see if that helps narrow it down, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Anyone have any idea how to turn off that new god drat scrolling while dragging stuff to the edge of the screen feature?
It keeps triggering when I'm trying to open stuff in new tabs between currently existing tabs/replacing a tab's content by dragging a link up to the tab bar.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ArcaneMan posted:

Any suggestions?

Clear out your cookies/any google ones?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Works fine for me on 53 x64.

Sounds more like that extension hosed something up royally, because the internet would be on fire if users couldn't save their hot 9gag memes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Knormal posted:

It'll still find and fix NTFS issues.

Just use chkdsk /f for that. No need to waste time by having it go over the entire drive.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

I'm looking for a Firefox extension that will display the title of a Youtube video when I hover over the link, and maybe the description, given how often people just drop youtube links into posts without any context.

I found this one: Youtube Tooltip
but it is ancient and doesn't work.

This one does work: YouTube on Hover Preview
but it just starts playing the video in a pop-up which is a bit more than what I was looking for honestly.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Greasemonkey script YouTube Link Title will still let you see the video name and shows a preview image of the video as well.

5 posts above yours. :)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

But I can point out that if you comment out every line which starts with "embed:function" you prevent the script's popup player from launching.

So now you can play the video inline without a popup player starting as well, but still get the advantage of both the full title appearing and the thumbnail.

Oh drat, that's really useful to know! Thanks!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Except when it's just the display driver being a buggy pile of poo poo, or Mozilla loving up hardware acceleration again, or their garbage collector still being a dumpster fire, or some random Windows update breaking everything.

Mozilla refuses to fix anything related to memory errors unless you can pin them down and force them to accept it's not a hardware issue with your RAM.

Their GC has been hosed for years now with open bugs about it that are almost a decade old, or closed ones marked as WONTFIX and WORKSFORME. The latter one is also invariably combined with an absolute lack of effort looking into why it doesn't work for the other person, or why it's suddenly a top crash.

Basically never bet on a hardware issue if Firefox is the only program giving you trouble. Of course you should check if it isn't a hardware thing, but in most cases you'll find it is not.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Are you using some kind of addon that might interfere with normal image saving?

Imgur is desperately trying to get more traffic to their site, so they can make ad revenue (because just hosting images ends up not being very profitable), so they redirect a bunch of loads of the direct image link to the gallery page.

I'm not sure how they detect the difference between an image loading as part of a page versus opening a direct image link, though. Maybe that detection is broken for you?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mind you, some of these addons that are reported incompatible work just fine when you force multiprocess. But maybe they won't survive the transfer to 57?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

xamphear posted:

Yes. Multiprocess compatible and Firefox 57+ compatible are two different things. 100% of my extensions are multiprocess compatible and 0% of them are Firefox 57+ compatible.

:rip:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Harik posted:

Multiprocess is still poo poo anyway, it's just a frontend + backend. Woop. Where's the process-per-tab backend so misbehaving tabs don't screw everything else up?

I sure love seeing the message THIS TAB JUST CRASHED DO YOU WANT TO SEND A CRASH REPORT and then also seeing it in literally every other tab in every window I have open. :thumbsup:
I guess it's technically better than the whole process folding and having to restore the windows?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Truga posted:

That doesn't work on chome for any threads that have big pictures/embedded content in posts.

There's an option in the SA user control panel to make it jump again after the page finishes loading. Mind you, Twitter embeds still gently caress it up because they are apparently hardcoded to load after the rest of the page finishes loading.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Not even Mozilla's own goddamn Add-on Compatibility Reporter is "Compatible with Firefox 57+", what kind of lovely clown show is this?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dissss posted:

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s too late for them to change tack and become more Chromelike (because they lost their normal users to Chrome and Safari years ago) but I can see where they’re coming from.

Not being "Chromelike" is the exact reason a lot of people use Firefox, though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

When exactly did firefox "bloat out"?

Pocket and Firefox Hello (or whatever that video chat feature is (was?) called) are the most recent I can remember.

Features that should not belong in a web browser being forced down people's throats unless they install classic theme restorer. In the same browser that removed support for mng because the decoder was 'too large' a long time ago.

Now I'm not saying these things slowed down the browser, that was their really poor memory handling, but to say Firefox never experienced bloat is just untrue.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

isndl posted:

Once you start diving into cross-device tab syncing and shared histories etc. Pocket starts making more sense.

They already had Firefox Sync for that, though. I left that out of my list of 'bloat' features, because I can see its utility and why people would want it, even if I don't want it myself.

The big difference between Sync and Pocket is that Sync is just there in the background, not getting in your face if you don't use it. While Pocket forced a non-removable (without CTR) button onto your toolbar and into your context menu.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Not sure about the context menu, but it's two clicks in FF57/Photon to pull it out of the address bar.

I was talking about when it was first introduced. But that's obviously irrelevant nowadays.

So let's talk about current issues: Firefox 55.0.1 hosed up my certs database, causing it to randomly stop loading pages on TLS handshakes. I had to delete the certs database file to fix it, and then do it again for 55.0.2, so that was cool.
Really made you notice how much stuff is loaded from external sources that use https.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Harik posted:

Hopefully that was just 55.0.1 loving up the database, and anyone who didn't get .1 didn't have the problem with .2.

Well, I have some bad news for you then. At least it's a lot less frequent now. :smithicide:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Firefox' tab bar started scrolling 3 tabs per mouse wheel tick at a time all of a sudden and I can't figure out how to get it back to scrolling one tab at a time. :(

It does it both with TabMixPlus enabled or disabled, going to an older version of TMP also doesn't help. Starting Firefox in safe mode doesn't help either.
I found some suggestions that for some bizarre reason it's taking the vertical scroll value from Windows for the amount of tabs to scroll, but obviously I'm not going to ruin the rest of my entire computing experience to fix Firefox' bullshit.
Do you guys have any ideas on how to get it back to sane behavior?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

I remember that happening once because I had the option enabled in both FireGestures and TabMixPlus, and I needed to disable it in at least one of them. It might be something to check if you have both of them, or some other extension that might overlap.

I've checked all my extensions that interact with tabs. Only TabMixPlus has an option for smooth scroll yes/no. Turning that one off makes it just jump 3 tabs abruptly, which is even worse. :(
Thanks for the suggestion, anyway!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nalin posted:

I would guess that Mozilla linked it into Windows' settings on how many lines to scroll on a mouse wheel event. The Windows default is 3 lines. Try changing Windows to scroll 1 line at a time and see if that makes a difference. If it does, you are probably out of luck.

Yup, you got it. As an added bonus: they also tied it to horizontal scrolling separately. So if I change that, it affects how much is scrolled by tilting the mouse wheel.
I guess I'll have to hope Mozilla fixes their poo poo suffer until Mozilla finally forces me to take refuge in another browser.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm in up-to-date 55. Windows 10 mouse settings says the wheel scrolls "multiple lines at a time". In Logtech's settings app, it's set to 3 lines at a time. Checking now, I apparently still somehow have both extensions (TabMixPlus and FireGestures) set to provide the "switch tabs with scroll wheel over tab bar" options. Mine changes only one tab.

Probably that's not helpful but all I can say is that it *should* work? Maybe it would help to install drivers for your mouse from Logitech or whoever else might have made it?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I went and tried updating Setpoint to the newest version and messed with its options: no dice. I also went and tried completely removing Firefox and starting with a new install and a new profile: also no dice.

I guess I'm hosed.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nalin posted:

That option moves all bookmarked threads that have unread posts to the very top, so you don't have to scroll down the page to find what has been replied to.

They're sorted by last-replied-to, so the only ways to not have threads with unread posts on top are to have threads you don't read in your bookmarks or to open the top one and then refresh the list.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's the new feature for the Pocket apologists to defend.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm having trouble with uBlock origin on Firefox for Android. From version 1.14 onwards, it'll hide ads, but refuse to apply cosmetic filters. The element picker also doesn't work properly anymore, in that it doesn't switch tabs automatically anymore (you access the uBlock settings in a different tab on Android), and it doesn't show the overlay anymore, even though the inability to interact with the webpage afterwards suggests it's there.

Is this just part of the general 1.14 fuckery that has been going on and should I just wait it out?

I tried downgrading to 1.13.8, which works great, but I can't find where you can prevent it from automatically updating itself, like someone suggested.

Mainly wondering if this sounds familiar to someone or if there are troubleshooting steps on Android I missed, apart from clear the app's cache or reset your device to factory settings.

I can't even get 1.14 to work at all on my Firefox for Android. Even with following all the esoteric instructions on the github.
The only way to stop it from auto-updating is by disable auto-updating for all addons. In about :config toggle extensions.autoupdate.enabled to false.

Obviously this may be a problem if you have several addons that you want to keep up to date, so try to remember you toggled it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

No, they're using some javascript miner to make your browser mine at 20~30% CPU power when on the categories and search result pages.
Supposedly this is a trial to see if it's a feasible replacement for ads. But we all know that shady sites will just try to go for as much as possible while trying to keep you from leaving the page.

I hope this becomes a new blocklist in uBO that defaults to enabled.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

Newsflash: that guarantees nothing for whether all your CPU is used, Javascript in browsers isn't capable of verifying it's only using a certain amount of CPU.

It's literally malware, plain and simple.

I was just posting what they say is supposed to happen. I did not and will never believe for a second that this is anything other than a bad thing to be rooted out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My Firefox for android just updated to 56 and now they've finally added enough webextensions support for me to use the latest version of uBO. Why the gently caress did they push that poo poo out before adding support to all their platforms?

Oh well, let's see in how many new and exciting ways things are broken now.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you find out if uBO's cosmetic filtering now consistently works on the newest versions for both, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Aside from having to import my settings from file, I've not had any issues.
Just make sure to save your settings to a file. And when you've installed the latest version, to import them and also clear filter caches and update filters.

I had some weirdness from cached pages from before importing my settings, but those issues resolved themselves by now.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

Lol, 1% of German Firefox user will be getting an installer with a bundled click-tracking addon. Do they actually want to actively alienate their traditionally strong and privacy minded user base in Germany?

https://blog.mozilla.org/press-uk/2017/10/06/testing-cliqz-in-firefox/

Installing literal spyware on an opt-out basis for European users at all sure is a way to drive usage figures in a direction.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

PirateBob posted:

XUL/Legacy extentions being most extentions, right? What's wrong with them? Why would they kill the biggest selling point of the browser?

Yes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

xamphear posted:

My opinion? They should have put off the legacy kill switch into next year when more APIs were available. I still think they should do it, but not until it was fully baked and ready.

My favorite part is that they don't even have implementation in sync for desktop and mobile. While both use the exact same addons. With Firefox 55 poo poo was completely broken on Android because there was basically no support for webextensions while addons were already moving over to it. See the whole uBlock Origin thing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Use uBlock to block and prevent the script from running, that's essentially what you are already doing by mashing the Esc key.

How do you do that for sites that put their adblock detection as part of inline scripts along with scripts necessary to actually use the site?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Do you have some example sites? Like there's no one rule to rule them all, it's basically different for each site, but then I don't use annoying as poo poo sites often that do this either, I think two that come to mind are.

The mobile version of Twitter is driving me nuts with its constant nag screens that just keep coming if I use cosmetic filtering.

I don't have a Twitter, nor will I ever. I just want to be able to look at some tweets in peace.
Blocking the inline script completely breaks it and it won't show anything except that lovely loading icon.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Every time Firefox crashes for me, whether it's a tab or the whole thing, I write in the crash reporter comment box that they should fix their several-year-old GC bugs instead of sticking their fingers into their ears and going "LALALALA FAULTY RAM LALALALA!"
I've only been wrong twice in the last year.

Those two times were a new top crash that was immediately WONTFIXed and a different 6 year-old bug.
But, gotta push those new and exciting changes that everybody is waiting for with bated breath!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I decided to hold off on updating my desktop until the addon situation is at least a little bit better, but I did update the Android version.

Holy poo poo, the new tab page is completely worthless now!
The tiles with most-visited sites are now lovely little favicons with barely any indication where they lead to. And it defaults to having half the screen being taken up by "recommended by Pocket" clickbait "articles".
Then, when you turn those off it shows you "highlights" which are random domains you visited some time ago, instead of actual pages you visited. And if you tap one of them it'll just go to apparently a random page on that domain, regardless if you ever visited that one or not, while the label only shows you the domain. So you can't even be sure if you'll be sent to where you want to go.

Is there any way to fix this mess? Or alternatively, what browsers for Android exist that are not Chrome and also support uBlock Origin?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doesn't support uBlock Origin. :(
Unless there's a secret version around somewhere, but the version on the MS store just says "This app does not work on your device."

Right now I'm weighing the positives/negatives of switching to Samsung Internet Browser by Samsung and the separate ABP for Samsung Internet Browser app.
Advantage: New tab page is actually usable.
Disadvantages: Having to use ABP with no ability to add custom filters and no "I Don't Care About Cookies" addon to make up for the inability to block those through ABP.

I think I might just have to make a html file with the pages I frequent and see if I can't get Firefox to display that as new tab page.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mediaman posted:

This is why I came here. I tried searching for 'Firefox 57 font' or 'Quantum tabs' = nothing. I'm on 51.0.1 32 bit at work. Tabs have 10 characters. At home on 57 it shows, I think 5 characters?!?

I was talking about the Android version specifically. I haven't even tried desktop yet.

Jack Trades posted:

You can switch browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.enabled to false in about :config to get the old style new tab page back.

Unfortunately, this switch doesn't exist for Android.

E: Lol, you can't even edit pinned sites anymore on Android, just remove them and hope whatever you want shows up in the blank spot, I guess.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

So I have to use flash for a while longer because reasons. With the new firefox, loading flash content on a website works fine, but loading flash files from the hard drive doesn't work, I just get a blank white screen. IE/Chrome can load flash files from the hard drive just fine. ublock origin and umatrix don't appear to be blocking anything. What's going on?

It's a new "security" feature that's been in place since 56. Blocking Flash content from any protocol but http(s) is somehow supposed to be more safe.

There might be an about :config switch for it, but I wouldn't expect that to last.
I've taken to just downloading the standalone Flash player and setting swf files to open with that.