Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Alereon posted:

How does that differ from the default behavior (browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand = true), which only loads the active tab and loads the rest when you click on them?

Huh, thanks for mentioning that, I'm not sure why but it was on false for me and the default is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

So did you follow all the steps in the section "Firefox is crashing/acting really weird. How do I fix it?". Because, to answer your original question, it's just you.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Right-click -> Save Link to Read it later Pocket is my go to action to stem the tide of tabs.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Instant Fox doesn't seem to work with POST based search forms (like the forums search) though.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I don't really mind it either but the fact that they announced it with a super-weaselly PR release on their blog which goes to ridiculous length not to use the word "ad" rubs me really the wrong way. Yeah, lets bury the important announcement in the third to last paragraph after some "digital disruptive leadership transformation" bullshit-bingo winning drivel.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Knormal posted:

I do, and I probably should have mentioned I'm on Linux. I haven't checked to see if I have the same symptoms on my Intel GPU laptop as on my Nvidia desktop, next time I'm on my laptop if I remember I'll look.

It might not be the same problem, but I had similar problems with the (buggy) binary Nvidia driver. In solved the problem by loving around with the color controls in the control panel.

Maybe switch to the open-source one, if that's feasible for you or vice versa.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

gently caress, quote is not edit.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

It "downloads" the screenshot to my default download location, the green download arrow even pulses like it does when a file has finished downloading.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah, address bar is Ctrl-L (or F6), goes well with Ctrl-K. (Alt-Letter can and will open a menu option, e.g. Alt-D the "Datei" menu in the German locale)

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Riso posted:

What causes this poo poo?

Generally a missing font, but since the glyph in question is in the Unicode private use area, the website should have loaded an appropriate font. Looking up the code it seems that old iOS/OSX versions used it to display a cherry blossom emoji, before using a proper codepoint: 🌸. (Also, if you use NoScript or similar, many website use third parties to provide custom webfonts so you should unblock them.)

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 15, 2014

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

hifi posted:

They never made the addon

Funnily all this talk about panorama getting discontinued made me check it out, and I now use it regularly.

If you read the bug basically they say

quote:

Unless somebody picks this up, nothing will change. Please don't comment on this bug if there is no change of the status quo. There is no current commitment for either improving or removing Panorama.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why? Someone please tell me why, after reading all the above posts about Firefox completely freezing if you looked at those animated graphs and, with a dozen open tabs - why would I then go and open that loving link to see if it would happen to me too.

Because sometimes you just have to taunt the gods, piss in the wind, see what happens if you take that step towards to the edge.

I did, and my Firefox did not crash. :smug:

Animated bars, Firefox 33.0.3 running on Windows 8.1 with Intel hardware.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I've always used Context Search and I'm continuing to do so, so the change doesn't impact me. Maybe it's something other peeps would find useful too:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The Milkman posted:

What do you find better about them? Because I ran the other way, especially with Firefox DE letting me easily partition work and personal loving around

Maybe I'm blind, but Chrome has the stack-trace for every network request, and I didn't find that in the Firefox dev tools.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

natlampe posted:

More uBlock drama. It seems that we may have to switch version again:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Maintainership-transfer-of-uBlock%3A-post-mortem

Hmm, the Chrome webstore version switched to uBlock Origin, but AMO has the bad maintainer version and I had to install from github: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 25, 2015

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I never got round to switching in the first place. Do I have to do anything?

Does the shield icon have "uo" on it, and the pop-up say uBlock Origin? If no you'd have to reinstall.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

poo poo, it's only been a month since I last asked this? I used Pushbullet for a while, but it stopped working on my tablet for some reason.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/send-tab-to-device/ works but I found both ways to be extremely slow. I'm not sure if it is related, but before the Mozilla accounts change sending tabs used to be instantaneous for me.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

I've seen that, but the option doesn't appear in menus anywhere when I install it.

It shows up in the context menu of the page content, not the tab where I would have expected it.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I like Mozilla. I used to use Pocket. (I've switched away from it because they don't support my Kindle). But I hope that they get a poo poo-ton of money for integrating a non-libre app.

Also their videos are like a parody of the new crop of bland corporate bullshit videos but I'm afraid they really think that users of Firefox want to see them.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

What the hell that makes it even worse. There was no need to integrate it now, especially when they are developing their own.

browser.pocket.enabled = false to disable it.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

thehustler posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I recently reimaged my work computer to a 64bit image so I downloaded the 64 bit Dev Firefox. I tried to a dictionary working but there doesn't seem to any spell checking going on, and if I right click in a text box there's no "Languages" menu to enable it, only "Add Dictionaries..."

Is this by design in the Dev Firefox?

The current 64 bit Developer Edition goes "Add Dictionaries ..." -> Add a dictionary -> "Enable Spell Check" -> "the "Languages" menu appears" for me. (Menu labels translated to English by me).

Ihmemies posted:

Nvidia has pushed out like 8 WHQL drivers this year. It'just AMD being :amd: with their drivers.

Waiting for that "FireFoxReady Driver™" :smugdog:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Tivac posted:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons/

... huh, wonder if that's gonna kill some of the crustier addons I use.

FWIW the (or one, there's no attribution) DownThemAll! developers are not very happy:

"DownThemAll! posted:

What does this mean for DownThemAll!? Well, for starters, DownThemAll! will be dead if XUL-based add-ons with XPCOM access are gone. Simple as that. The new APIs would only allow for a severely limited in functionality, severely stripped down DownThemAll! at best.

Gone with DownThemAll! will be add-ons that e.g. let you change major bits about the Firefox user interface (e.g. tabs tree add-ons), add-ons that allow you to do more “advanced” stuff than just showing or slightly altering websites, such as e.g. restarting the browser upon click (unless mozilla kindly provides an API for that, which won’t be compatible with Chrome, of course). Add-ons like NoScript will be severely limited in their feature set as well. Say byebye to Greasemonkey and hello to Tampermonkey, with it’s limitations. Want that add-on that lets you change the new tab page for something else or enhances that page? Maybe it will be available, maybe not, depending on if and when mozilla kindly provides WebExtensions APIs for such things. And of course, depending on if there will be an author creating this entirely new add-on from scratch.

What this also means: Almost all your existing add-ons will be broken, entirely, save for some Add-on SDK add-ons, namely those that don’t do anything fancy. Sure, even today, lots of add-ons break, and some add-ons will not get updated when they do and there are no suitable replacements. However, with this change, almost every add-on will be completely broken and in need of major updating by the extension authors. Good luck with that.

It is safe to say, that Firefox will not be Firefox anymore as far as extensions go, but instead will become yet another Chrome-clone.

To be clear: I was furious when the extension signing stuff was announced and then actually implemented, which effectively created yet another Walled Garden, but regarding this announcement I am just sad. Right now, it feels like I just learned my dear old friend Firefox is going to die.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Desuwa posted:

I have a great idea! Let's kill off the single most popular add-on which is the only thing keeping a significant part of our userbase from jumping ship to one of our derivatives that doesn't pander as hard to the least technical users!

I don't think they are going to kill ABP. In fact uBlock Origin, which is a better replacement, was ported from Chrome.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

From my personal anecdotal observations, people who use their desktop browsers in fullscreen mode are much rarer then competitive fps-players with perfect mouse controll.

Fullscreen (F11) is probably only for weirdos and people doing presentations/kiosks, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of Windows users browse with a maximized browser window and almost no MacOS users do so. I don't have up-to-date statistics, though. MacOS always encouraged non-maximized windows with it's top menu bar optimized for Fitt's Law though.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

So you'll need to dig up the relevant "default programs" settings for that in the control panel.

The old control panel is still there in Windows 10, just search for "default programs".

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

This is what I do. Gmail and Battlefield Battlelog as apps, FF as primary browser.

Doesn't that still open links in Chrome? I haven't tried it recently but there's a seven year old bug about it.

I mean I'd like to use Chrome like that, but gently caress having to copy every link that someone mailed me.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I accidentally typed in youtube.co instead of youtube.com, and now the youtube icon in the upper left has a "CO" on the end of it, including on pages that didn't have it but when reloaded suddenly have it.

I'm guessing this is a malicious thing, how do I get rid of it? Currently running a scan, surprised noscript and stuff didn't stop it. It'd be nice if google nailed those domains, I hear "yotube" is another one.

YouTube.co is owned by Google and points to Google servers, so it's not malicious. Firefox probably assumed that this is now the right domain name to display.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

computer parts posted:

I believe Firefox is the only browser that doesn't have Netflix in HTML5 for exactly that reason.

Firefox Users Can Now Watch Netflix HTML5 Video on Windows

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any idea why uBlock Origin isn't blocking http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html Any idea how I can add this site to my block list?

Just add a line consisting of "dailymail.co.uk" to your filters in the uBlock Origin dashboard.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That seems to block all the CSS stuff or something, I get a web page that looks like 1995. Thoughts?

Ahaha, I thought you literally wanted to have uBlock prevent you from looking at dailymail.co.uk. Which should have happened.

I'm not sure what you want to have blocked though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Im_Special posted:

To get around that, add an entry named browser.tabs.remote.force-enable and set it to true.

E10s wasn't enabled for me so I tried that and I got two crashes in six hours, where normally Firefox doesn't crash at all.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

https://asadotzler.com/2016/06/06/firefox-48-beta-release-and-e10s/

Interesting article on how they are going to roll out E10s after Firefox 48 is released. Cool stuff.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

fishmech posted:

So when they say 40% of Firefox users don't use addons, is that just the normal Windows/Mac/Linux desktop/laptop users or does it include Firefox on all other platforms like Android? Because I know there's tons of people who use Friefox for Android but have no idea that addons are available there.

Compared with desktop/laptop Firefox almost nobody uses Firefox on Android so that population doesn't meaningfully influence the 40% addon users.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...I use Firefox on Android.

:hfive: Firefox on Android with uBlock Origin is great and I recommend it. But if you look at current stats even loving mobile IE has more users (since it's the default browser on Windows Mobile).

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Add it to your search bar (the green + icon should automatically appear when you are on that page) and then modify the search engine to give it a keyword?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

They are all terrible, imo. I mean I like "Moz://a" but good luck telling people how to pronounce that. Maybe they could get rid of the Mozilla "brand" and call themselves the Firefox Foundation or sth if they are hellbent on change.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

astral posted:

Unless things have changed, any addons block it for now.
According to the current e10s status update as of Firefox 49 there's an experimental set of addons that do not block e10s:

quote:

We shipped Firefox 49 with a set of compatible Add-Ons enabled.
with the set apparently being:

quote:

Greasemonkey
Download YouTube Videos as MP4
Video download helper
Lightbeam
Adblock Plus
uBlock Origin
Emoji cheatsheet
Awesome Screenshot Plus
Persona Plus

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

Just as a point of comparison when I forced it on, only 2 of my 20+ addons had problems.

YMMV, when I forced it with all my addons Firefox crashed after 5 mins. I didn't want to figure out which one was causing it and pared my addons down to uBlock Origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Lol, 1% of German Firefox user will be getting an installer with a bundled click-tracking addon. Do they actually want to actively alienate their traditionally strong and privacy minded user base in Germany?

quote:

Next week, we will be launching our most significant test so far. Less than one percent of users in Germany installing Firefox from our main download page will receive a version of Firefox with Cliqz recommendations enabled out of the box.

This experiment also includes the data collection tool Cliqz uses to build its recommendation engine. Users who receive a version of Firefox with Cliqz will have their browsing activity sent to Cliqz servers, including the URLs of pages they visit. Cliqz uses several techniques to attempt to remove sensitive information from this browsing data before it is sent from Firefox. Cliqz does not build browsing profiles for individual users and discards the user’s IP address once the data is collected. Cliqz’s code is available for public review and a description of these techniques can be found here.
https://blog.mozilla.org/press-uk/2017/10/06/testing-cliqz-in-firefox/

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 7, 2017