Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I don't actually like any other album Slayer has released but Show No Mercy is my favorite thrash album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I think the first two Iced Earth albums are good.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

MrBling posted:

Night of the Stormrider is an ok album, but the stuff that followed just isn't something I can get into.

That's mostly because I can't stand Barlows vocals though.

I agree with this but I find their self titled debut to be pretty good. Some people hate the vocalist but I think he's fine.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Mr. Heroes posted:

Thanks for your opinions I guess. Is there perhaps a list of acceptable metal bands that are OK to post in this thread? I wasn't trying to say they were good, and I thought the staredog gif would sort of hint that I wasn't being serious. I'd hate for you to keep thinking about me having a boner but whatever.

We could always stick to posting good music that we can appreciate on those terms alone.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh I have not listened to anything this year based on these lists :/

I'm horrible at keeping up with stuff

I agree with this. I'm very picky about music I listen to and taking some time to get to stuff helps sift the fillers.

Then there is that one great band from the eighties you've didn't hear until recently. One or two albums can hold you over for the entire year.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Sabbat put out a couple of good albums. Oh you edited that in... or it was there all along but I missed it somehow.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 27, 2013

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I have probably said this many times. I do not care for Slayer much at all but Show No Mercy is loving amazing. It is easily one of my favorite thrash albums, maybe even among my favorite metal albums overall.

It's been a long time since I last listened to Hell Awaits but I think it's OK.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

He want you to check out his band.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

That reminds me of the album Servants of Darkness by Nifelheim. I don't know how many times I listened to that whole album, on the strength of that one good song, before I figured it out. I didn't really get angry but I did not listen to it ever again.

I've never bothered with any other album by them.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

MrBling posted:

I must be totally out of touch because I haven't listened to a single album on that list.

I haven't even listened to any new releases this year.

In a couple of years I have probably learned what good poo poo came out, I don't feel rushed. It doesn't get worse with age.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Rage made a couple of good albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1vs43t3pEQ

Youtube barely knows of them.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

TheSteelCurtain posted:

The new Ghost album artwork has leaked and it looks great.

That is some drat good artwork for something I will probably never listen to.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

For an 80s hair band WASP is surprisingly good. I'd even say that their later albums are very good.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I listened to that whole Ghost album and it was boring.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Let's change the topic.

Can something bland be made worse by people consistently referring to it as great? I think it might.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

That's actually the exact same topic, you just converted it into a loaded question.

Well, there is a lots of bands that could refer to. It's okay if you don't like Ghost, not every discussion have to be about them.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

symbolic posted:

so take anything I say about Megadeth/early Metallica with a grain of salt.

Metallica is a good pick for me because I don't think I can stand anything they have ever done.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I dunno man, megadeth had at least one good album.

I'm sure I've said it before but Slayer is the best example of a band saved from raging mediocrity by 'one good album'.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

symbolic posted:

Slayer has good songs, but not really a good album per se. I can only really listen to half of the songs on any given album.

Are you sure you've listened to Show No Mercy because it is a masterpiece and very different from their others imo.

Nordick posted:

I got about halfway through it. A couple times I was like "hey, this part sounds pretty nice I guess" and then promptly forgot I was listening to it.

It's not like I hate Ghost, I quite like their first album actually.
Just now I got really unsure if I've ever listened to the their second because I can't remember a single song from it.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

the new ISYW is good

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Hey, here's some metal bands that, so far, I've enjoyed everything of their's that I've heard. These are just a few bands I can think of that I've not found anything they put out that I didn't enjoy. Can the elitist douches of this thread articulate what's wrong with my taste in music, and suggest something better? (I know you're not all of you are douches, but I'm asking this of those who are)

Emperor
Ihsahn
Darkthrone
DragonForce
Cannibal Corpse
Death
Celtic Frost
Anaal Nathrakh
Woe of Tyrants
Beyond Creation
Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Slayer

Hey man, is there any metal you don't like, or will anything do?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

the y is a vowel

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

The only thing by Diamond Head I've heard is Lightning to the Nations and I don't know if I want to check out anything else because you can't improve on perfection.

That album is great throughout.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

If I wasn't lazy I would post poo poo from the LLN movement or whatever it was called, of which only Mutiilation ever did anything resembling good.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Black Future is good, or great even, and I was disappointed that Outer Isolation wasn't as good. Haven't listened to their latest enough to have an opinion(it's not terrible though).

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Mr. Pickles posted:

/agree on black future being totally great and outer isolation being not as great

But dude. To me Terminal Redux is arguably the greatest thrash metal release of all time. You need to listen to the whole thing, the songs compliment each other perfectly as it's composed cohesively as a narrative from start to finish. Lyrics are also very cool and good sci-fi storytelling

I literally listened to it for the first time on Wednesday. By pure coincidence the thread was talking about it the next day.
Don't you worry, whole albums is how I listen to music.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I clicked the youtube and the vocals are perfectly fine.

Now for a band that sounds kinda ok but are ruined by terrible vocals; a little obscure group called Metallica.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I like Iced Earths first two albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

too soon