Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Time for some random band pimping. As I don't think they're been talked about before/recently and considering their album is an self released job, I think it's pretty drat good.

Lorenguard - symphonic power metal that still managed to be nice and punchy plus just out and out fun. Only have one album so far, the very wordily titled "Eve of Corruption: The Days of Astasia - Part One", can check out all of the tracks on their Youtube page. If for some reason you're lacking in albums about dragons and magic swords with some guts, these guys might be for you.

Eve Of Corruption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO9KgKOxJOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Alan from Primordial is on vocal duties for Twilight of the Gods? Sold sold and sold again! The rest of the band sound pretty awesome too but sometimes you just have to fanboy. News of this completely slipped under my radar but that track has put them on my must buy list.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I sort of like the art style there. Not the art itself but the style seems ok. Brings back memories of liking Iced Earth. The font on the album title though? What the gently caress were they thinking?

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Condition Red all the way for Iron Savior in my view. Though I'll admit it doesn't have a cover that brings such scenes to mind.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Threshold are one of those really underrated bands and I'm not totally sure why they're not more popular. Specially considering how reserved they are on the noodling and seem to deliver the sort of thing people wish Dream Theater would do - write songs, don't wank all over the place and have some style. I'm a big fan of both bands, though for people who don't like DT, Threshold seem to be logical answer. Will also pimp March of Progress, it rocks and rocks hard.

Durendal posted:

What do you guys think of Black Majesty and Excalion? They are a couple of my favorite power metal bands, and I don't think they have mentioned before.

Black Majesty are great stuff as well. Aus isn't really a land known for metal, let alone power metal but Sands of Time and Silent Company are two albums that more people need to listen to, right now pretty much.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 20, 2013

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Well that's my xmas gift to myself sorted. Thanks for the heads up on this, I hadn't heard anything about it.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So I made the mistake of looking at Amazon's recommendations the other day.

Told me to buy the "30th Anniversary Edition" double disc set of Crystal Logic. Needless to say I hammered the buy button like a madman! Along with a few other CDs. Totally worth it. It's probably not rare, but after being lucky enough to see Manilla Road when the finally played in London the other year, I just had to.

Normally the Amazon recommendations are a little iffy but I shall thank the system for highlighting that disc to me.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So I'm sure it's been meantioned before, but I've just picked up the latest Atlantean Kodex album The White Goddess and... HOLY poo poo! :black101:

I got floored by this thing. Awesome, epic and all that good poo poo. I was expecting it to be really drat good, but it easily rates as one of my "this is why I listen to metal" albums. If you like epic metal at all, buy this and buy it now!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I always tend to go with Metal Crypt's Staff Best of Lists when they (finally) come out and use it as a buying guide for the next few months.
Given the site, it's all very much straight ahead metal stuff. So take as to person taste.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

My copy of the Demilich's 20th Adversary of Emptiness arrived today (not bad for free shipping from Svart) and it kicks rear end! Well ok we already knew that, but I think the remaster sounds really drat good. I recommend it if you haven't already picked it up.

I like how it sounds so odd and twisted, but isn't a wall of noise or sludge and nothing is burried. Going to have to give it several more spins now.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I still need to spin the new tracks actually, haven't had time yet. I have my fingers crossed for them though.

Reminds me that I saw a copy of Nespithe in HMV about 10 years ago. When I later found out what I'd missed, I kicked myself. But now I'm sort of glad, as I had a reason to get the collection. It does seem to be the thing to reissue lost classics these days. Like the Timeghoul best of, etc.

As for the vocals, I know they're odd and I really dig them. Plus in the world of extreme metal, they're neither that odd nor disturbing, though I see how they can be a poster childer for "Haha listen to this weird metal stuff, it's terrible!"

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'm vaguely tempted by the Van Canto gig, just for the fun as well. Though I'm not really sure if it's worth spending the time off work for. I guess it can't be any worse than Dragonforce...

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

henpod posted:

Ah yeah, maybe not worth time off work for, but its so silly and will probably have a good atmosphere. I'm just gonna head down after work and see what its all about I guess.

Yeah if I could just stroll up, I'd totally go. Been hurting for good gigs recently, I blame the fact no one plays here (apart from handful of local bands) so I always have to go to London.

I'll await the trip report.

EDIT: New Iron Savior clip is sounding pretty nice too. Shall have to keep an eye on it for post birthday CD purchasing.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I posted my thoughts, earlier (either here or the prog thread) and agree. It had a few nice ideas, such as the intro track, but mainly you could merge them all into one or two good tracks.

But the rest, it's just sort if there and doesn't really make a lasting impression, even with all the Rush bits. Recent albums have been pretty great once it had time to grow, specially ADToE (apart from the "radio hit" number) and this time just... blah.

EDIT: I'm also an admitted DT fanboy and even expecting their usual failings, just didn't work this time.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Picked up a few CDs for payday, including Pharaoh's Bury The Light and man it kicks all the right sorts of rear end.

It had a bunch of good reviews from places I trust, but just never gotten around to checking them out before. They don't seem to get much talk so I forgot about them. I dig some of the slightly unusually playing and then just the straight up charging riffs.

I really need more USPM stuff, I know I like it, need more of it on my to buy list.

EDIT: phonepost typing.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 5, 2014

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So I raided my local HMV's clearence section yesterday and it actually went pretty well. I picked up:

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality
Woods of Ypres - Woods 5
Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa
Vektor - Outer Isolation

Total sticker price 57 quid (no wonder I hardly shop there anymore) but after the clearence discount and some other random ones that applied for some reason, I paid 5.70. 90% off is not a bad deal at all.
The Vektor album was my main target but hey cheap stuff is good.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 13, 2014

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

This is aweomse and now for some reason I have the urgw to buy a load of shred albums. Thanks for sharing, have a good few friends who got a kick out of it too.

Now where is my credit card...

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Bloodshot Dawn have just launched their kickstarter for their second album.

Thanks for the heads up about this. Always up for supporting more British bands. Hopefully will do great.

EDIT: Those physical rewards are really cheap. Like "are you actually getting any money after the cost of them all?" cheap.

I know it's partly the reason why there doesn't seem to be that much crowdfunding for metal "You want $25 just for a CD? Screw that!" as some people aren't directly aware of the cost of producing all the physical stuff. But after some problems with game kickstarters and ending up losing money due yo physical stuff, makes me a little worried.

Still, will keep my fingers crossed for it.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 16, 2014

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

Also, does anyone here dig Crimson Massacre?

Man I need to dig out Luster again. I remember it was the first album I imported direct from a distro. The guitar tone is odd but I think helps it stand out a little. It's very much in wankfest valley, that point where it all just hangs together so well.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So Metal Thread for some foolish reason, I want to stuff something similar to one my guilty pleasure bands - Divinity Destroyed. Take some wanky wanna-be Dream Theater stuff add a a bit of melo-death and a few other genres, some "oohh look I read some entry level poetry and philosophy books" lyrics, and a lot of self-belief in their own artistic merit and you get Divinity Destroyed.

Void
Therdony
Borealis

So can anyone suggest anything similar, but less terrible (actually being less terrible is optional). Wankery - musically and lyrically - is a must, I think I'm asking for a more grimdark Dream Theater... :cripes:

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 15, 2014

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Misogynist posted:

Why would anyone listen to this on purpose :psyduck:

This is a question I ask myself! I know I'm crazy...

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Oh god I hadn't even looked at the comments. My god, what have I done?

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

That'd be pretty awesome if I wasn't the wrong side of London. Enjoy the show.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

While we're talking about Sabaton, they're playing in my town in December! :black101:
Clearly Metal Thread is the cause of this good news.

With Tyr on support... now to pray to Odin they play stuff from Eric The Red (I can dream...)

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Nordick posted:

The problem is that he always makes me think of Wuthering Heights and I get worried they're gone for good since it's been so long without any word from them. :(

Oh drat, the one Wuthering Heights I have doesn't have him on vocals :( Now I'm thinking I should drop £20 just to own Far From the Madding Crows just for Nils's voice and "Bad Hobbits Die Hard". Because why not? :black101:

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

To Battle posted:

I forgot how amazing Decapitated's first album is, been blasting this poo poo all day.

So drat true. It was the first truly brutal album I got in my teen years. I think I picked it up just because of the cover and it being on Wicked World. Was also my go to for "yeah try to pick out the lyrics in this". Gave it a spin recently and still love it. One of the few gems from my short phase of "I must have the most brutal loving metal possible!".

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 11, 2014

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So thread - I visited HMV on the way home. Blinked and was walking out with a copy of RIITIIR. I don't even know if I like Enslaved, but we're going to find out. I blame you lot.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

To the shock of no one, I really liked RIITIIR. It wasn't what the phase "black metal + Pink Floyd" had me expecting, but it was much better. Though I need to give it several more spins to fully digest it.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Going back a bit, but thanks for Nordick for recommending Monument. Just the sort of Iron Maiden worshipping, fist pumping stuff I was looking for. Simple, but highly effective.
And to go with the CD arriving, I have the day off so I can sit around air guitaring in my front room without anyone else around to judge me (apart form my cat...)

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I saw the 20th anniversary show, with Blackwater Park, in London. Was some really good stuff.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

A few pages late to the party, but thanks to everyone who recommended Visigoth, picked theeir album up with weekend and it's very killed. Just what I wanted.

On a similar but older theme, I also got Twisted Tower Dire's Crest of the Martyrs. I'm not sure if they've done anything good lately, but it's another good slab of American classic metal.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

7734 posted:

Power metal chat:
Check out Merging Flare, they have one album out and it's total Gamma Ray/90's power metal worship of the best kind.

Hah no wonder they're Gamma Ray worship, it has (main?) people from Guardians of Mankind, a GR tribute band. Be adding to my to buy list.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I've been on a slowly building US Power Metal kick lately. Mostly down to how much I enjoyed Visigoth's debut last year.

Picked up Pharaoh - The Longest Night today, some good good stuff. I really like the guitar tone and Tim's screams (which are pretty different from the ones he used for Control Denied). Need to find my copy of Nosferatu as well, because it's just a stone cold classic.

Have a pretty good size of other USPM albums to get, even if it is a pretty small scene.

Some Pharaoh

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 18, 2016

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

A human heart posted:

You already know all the mandatory 80s stuff like Omen and Manilla Road and Brocas Helm yeah?

Yeah, just neeed to pick up more stuff. The latest Pharaoh purchase pretty much sealed it as a "drat, I need a solid USPM block in my CD collection" (something has to balance out all those Dream Theater albums). Plus I don't see a ton of people talk about Pharaoh, so figured why not.

EDIT: I feel like the scene has a lot more people talking about it than say 10 years ago. It may still be small, but it's easier to get a bunch of great recommendations and actually be able to find copies to buy as well.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 19, 2016

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So Anubis Gate are doing a kickstarter to re-release their first 4 albums and some bonus/extra stuff. I'm all for this, because I didn't have enough prog metal in my life already.

Kickstarter link

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

corelia have a lot of PTH influence too.

Oh this sounds like some wonderfully wanky poo poo, I'm checking that out.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So, Vader are playing in my town, in some lovely club. I almost wouldn't believe it, but it's on their website. loving Vader! For £8, drat. Not even going to question it. Just booking the next day off work and going to break my neck.

EDIT: On checking it's probably because their current drummer is from my town. I never would has guessed that without looking it up.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 22, 2016

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I really liked that Crypt Sermon album, just straight up solid doom with loads of power and good vocals. Need to stick it back on my MP3 player.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Stewart Lee (the demilich of standup comedy) bit on Napalm Death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKnzBesrxY

He used that bit on an episode of his atest (and sadly last) season of his BBC 4 show and the episode ended with a fake "And now on BBC 4, Orientering with Napalm Death" trailier, complete with music.
This being BBC 4 and the most arty, high brow and unwatch parts of the BBC, it does seem like the sort of show they'd put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

this band name would definitely have at least two black mana symbols in it, maybe three

I'm shocked to find only two bands listed on Metal-Archives with MtG as lyrical themes.