Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Very mixed feelings over Road Salt Two :(

This month has been extremely disappointing- I was looking forward to Heritage, A Dramatic Turn of Events, and this so much. And none of them are what I hoped they'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

What were you expecting out of ADTOE? It's the best thing Dream Theater has done in over 10 years.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from it-- Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the album, but nothing has jumped out at me and made me go "This is awesome". There hasn't been a track I could just really get into, and I find myself still going back to their old stuff time after time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can anyone recommend some bands similar to Diablo Swing Orchestra? A friend of mine recently showed them to me, and they sound like nothing I've heard before and I've to find more like it since they only have two albums :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orbital Sapling posted:

Stolen Babies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpxesBrb8Ag

Non Serviam posted:

UneXpect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piaIjkxNjaY

Wow, stolen babies pretty much blew me away with just that one track, hah. Might go grab their album off Amazon right now.
UneXpect might perhaps take a little more listening to to like. I've never been big on growling or anything of that sort, but I didn't like DSO at first either.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I guess this isn't really metal, but have any goons checked out Storm Corrosion? I just listened to one of their tracks on YouTube, sounded decent enough. I figure what the hell, whether I like it or not I'm okay with giving Akerfeldt my money.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know the thread title and I know their past few albums have been pretty forgettable, but has anyone had a chance to check out the new Sonata album? I'll probably buy it on Amazon after work today regardless, but I was just curious what the goons thought.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Another one of those bands that kind of goes here, kind of doesn't, but I loving love Diablo Swing Orchestra's new album, my god.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Opeth, too. I will never get tired of Mikael's humor. He's an odd man but so much fun to watch.

I really wanted to go see Opeth & Katatonia, but the large majority of NE Metal & Hardcore fest does not interest me at all :(
Was considering showing up just for Opeth but I didn't want to drop that much money for only an hour and a half...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm just real sad the last time I saw Opeth it was their Heritage tour and it was a super chill, borderline boring set list. And the time before that, I didn't know their music super well. Oh well I guess.

And now wtf is up with Pain of Salvation finally having a US tour but they've hardly posted any dates! :argh:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kaboobi posted:

Skipped the Metal and Hardcore fest because there were only like 5 bands I wanted to see, instead went to the acoustic Opeth show at a nearby Newbury Comics earlier that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbA0GGb0YWc

What the gently caress this was a thing? :suicide:

edit; Hahaha, the swedish fish

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 22, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's even more hilarious in the context of this interview, where Dave explains the meaning of the song and the title.

:allears:

I love the last part. "I only believe the parts of science I like. Like all the cool tubes."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Anciients is currently filling my void that Opeth left to become a Jethro Tull cover band.

Haven't heard of them before, just listened to half the song in one year (I'm at work) and there definitely was a bit of an Opeth sound for sure... I'll have to check them out when I get home.

Only two albums? :( Hmm, it says they're actually playing at The Palladium in Worcester MA this weekend.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 24, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Morbid Florist posted:

they better not be opening for the Death show saturday night...

muike posted:

Wait, gently caress that's this Saturday? gently caress

http://anciientriffs.bandcamp.com/ Right-hand side it says:
Apr 27
Palladium
Worcester, MA

Then that Death show is the only one listed on the Palladium's page, so I'd assume they must be, even though they're not listed in the "Special Guests" section.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not sure how much this is the best thread for this, but Pain of Salvation in NYC was loving awesome last night. Hands down my favorite band, so happy to finally have gotten to see them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sonata Arctica put up a song off their new album out later next month;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGp0kms-GEk The Wolves Die Young

Looks like it'll be another mediocre-as-gently caress album :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

Has anyone really not given up on them yet?

Sratovarious is boring as poo poo, at least Sonata's early stuff was good. There's no good reason to listen to anything Unia and after though.

I just can't help it :( Their early stuff is so good, and they're a lot of fun live. I want to like them... But like you said Unia and on is just disappointment after disappointment.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I found this video earlier...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2ucr74YNk

:black101:

I don't think I like Akerfeldt's voice for the first minute of that song? Only a minute twenty into it though. Normally, one of my favorite singers of all time. The music itself sounds pretty great though. I think that this album will share my sentiments with Heritage; overall a I enjoyed it, but not what I want from Opeth. Certainly not their best work, but I was particularly disappointed with it.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 28, 2014

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pain of Salvation NA tour

Fingers crossed Daniel doesn't get another case of flesh eating bacteria. Or have their label go under. Or whatever other freak accidents occur preventing them from playing state-side, again.

Road Salt 1 & 2 certainly aren't my favorite albums, but I'm still super excited.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Those On My Left posted:

The new Opeth leaked today!

I like it about as much as I liked Heritage, which is to say it's a cool album and I do like the sounds... But it's not what I want from Opeth. Oh well, I'll still buy it and give them my dollars when it comes out :shrug:

edit; Hadn't finished the album when I posted this, a song just came on and I was like "hmm this is really good" and then I realized the album finished and I was listening to Still Life :doh:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 17, 2014

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Don't keep up with this thread too much, was the Blind Guardian AMA posted already?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/2uvpxn/were_hansi_k%C3%BCrsch_and_andr%C3%A9_olbrich_of_blind

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

New album by Pain of Salvation came out on Friday. Any of you goons give it a listen? I'm loving it. Super excited to see them next month. I was already excited, but the last 2 times I saw them wasn't spectacular just because I'm not a huge fan of Ragnar's voice. At least, not when he's covering parts sung by Johan. But now that an album has come out with his voice in mind during the creative process, he's much better.

They're only playing in 8 cities in the US this year and one of them is my crappy little city which never gets anyone. Last two times I got to see them live required multi-hour drives, each way. No idea how this happened but I'm stoked.

And in response to the discussion from the previous page: I do not understand the purpose of music journalism / album reviews. 3/10 of this album was available online before it came out. Opeth also released 3/11 of Sorceress online prior to launch. Then it's immediately on Spotify and YouTube. I can make my own decision, the music is available easily enough. So... Why bother reading what Joe Schmoe thought of an album when I can listen to it at no additional cost to me very soon?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My point is simply that many bands make multiple songs easily available online and in the time it would take me to read a review I could just simply go and listen to some of their stuff and make up my mind on my own :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AstroWhale posted:

And new Opeth? I really don't care about them anymore.

I don't mind Opeth's shift in direction, there's a few good tracks across Heritage/Pale Communion/Sorceress... but so far In Cauda Venenum feels 100% forgettable. Admittedly I'm distracted at work while listening, but yea, not a single song has really grabbed me and I'm on the 7th track so far :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It's a beautiful sounding record and probably the pentacle of their 70's prog rock influence. King Crimson, Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull are all well represented here, but this is by no means a metal album. Still, as good as it may sound, there's not much there to make me want to listen again thus far. Maybe it's a grower.

Yea I feel like it deserves a second listen, just because it's Opeth and prog often takes a few listens to really "digest" for me... But wow I just finished it and drat every single song was the same boring thing.

Bunch of guitars just doing whatever
Mikael wailing
Soft section to breathe
Repeat

No cool grooves, no "hooks" anywhere... At least Sorceress had like Strange Brew and Seventh Sojourn that were really fun, but this album just went nowhere.

I enjoyed Tool's new album, I was looking forward to this... Hopefully Leprous' new album later this year is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of Devin Townsend's studio stuff, but I'll be damned if I don't go see him live every opportunity I get. Great supporting acts, too.