Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.livestream.com/?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=deadend-logo&utm_content=anthrax

EDIT: RIGHT NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wasn't Lacuna Coil already on a previous Gigantour?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A lot of these guys aren't doing it because they're committed to the lifestyle, they're doing it because they can't afford to stop touring and after 20-30 years of not doing anything but touring they're not qualified for any other job that can support them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

I actually went on a dissection spree monday so I needed a decent stunt-dissection today. It's not bad, but yeah, imitated but not duplicated.

A bit of insight as to why us old farts turn our noses up at newer bands. "I've heard this already, gently caress." ;)

I do kinda like watain but you can't not hear dissection out of them.

When I was in college, one of my friends was complaining about the fact that Perfect Circle sounded exactly like Tool. Another friend of mine responded "I'd much rather have another band that sounds like Tool than another band that sounds like Nickelback."

I try to keep that in mind when newer bands are derivative.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

RHTITE posted:

Why? It's still another redundant band. If they aren't adding anything to improve upon the band they're imitating, then there's no point to them either.

By that logic, Motorhead should have never released more than one album.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

Except that motorhead isn't copying anyone else :confused:

No, but their albums certainly are redundant.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Velocirocktor posted:

I'll listen to a derivative band for the same reasons I'll listen to a band's album that sounds like a continuation of the previous album: 20 songs I like is better than 10.

This was the point I was trying to make.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
For the power metal section -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-TZIfpycY8

Rhapsody are adorably ridiculous, but if you're gonna include Blind Guardian, they're definitely worthy of mention.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also, there are not enough Manowar videos.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
5 Magics is the only song on that album I really don't particularly care for.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I have to wear metal t-shirts because otherwise when people see my denim jacket and mullet they just assume I'm Canadian.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Just got back from the Manowar show and I feel like I got run over by a truck made of sound. That is without exaggeration the loudest concert I have ever been to.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
They actually brought their own sound system for the show. The speakers looked like the monolith from 2001, they were like seven feet tall and four feet wide.

Things I never thought I would hear that I heard at this show -

The sound of a guitar string being ripped out of a guitar while it's still plugged into an amp

A man playing Flight of the Bumblebee on a bass guitar

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Monkeytime posted:

Did the show also feature Joey DiMaio going the gently caress off on the promoter/false metal/true metal/his bass tech? I swear he ranted for the better part of 20 minutes when I saw them and that alone was worth the price of admission. It's a shame they don't tour more in the US, I don't get it.

He went off for like 10 minutes on how awesome Manowar fans are, but he didn't have a bad thing to say about the promoter or techs last night.

They mentioned that this was the only US stop on the tour because it was the only place that would let them bring their own sound system, so maybe that's why they don't do more US locations.

Also Eric Adams pipes are loving amazing considering he's loving fifty-seven. They did a straight two hour set with no breaks and he basically sang the whole way through except for a couple guitar-solo sections.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

keyframe posted:

Holy poo poo the new Anthrax album is amazing! :psyduck:

Every Anthrax album is amazing :colbert:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Anthrax is also more unapologetically nerdy than the rest of them. I mean, pretty much all metal has a strong streak of geekery to it, but Anthrax is doing songs about Judge Dredd and hiring Alex Ross to do album covers and poo poo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

het posted:

I've seen a punch of people repping this, I'm gonna have to check it out, thanks.

I'm still mulling over stuff I've listened to, but I'd definitely mention Portrait - Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae (nwobhm, Mercyful Fate worship more or less) and Ribspreader - The Van Murders (death metal). I enjoyed Tyr's album The Lay of Thrym a lot more than previous albums too. It's sort of reminiscent of Amon Amarth's better moments in that it's melodeath, everything sounds really similar, but tracks still have distinguishable melodies enough that you don't feel like it's the same track over and over again.

Lay of Thrymm is head and shoulders above Tyr's previous stuff and really makes me anticipate another album from them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheForgotton posted:

Submitted for your approval: Virgin Steele - Perfect Mansions.

So much to love about this video. Sword-torches, a castle, some very impressive stage moves, and a handful of cutting-edge video effects such as INVERT COLORS. I know if I have a high note to deliver after a guitar solo (6:20 in if you want to skip to the glory), I'm running my rear end down the side of a hill like I'm being chased by bees. I have to say this is the most unintentionally funny video I've seen in a long time.

Can anyone identify what the hell he's holding in the living room parts around :53 seconds in? A metallic loofah sponge? A bronzed pufferfish? Dog toy?

I wonder how long it took them to find a guitarist that was a body-double for Al Bundy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I don't necessarily disbelieve that, but I have a hard time conceptualizing anything on No More Tears being written by Lemmy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Turk February posted:

Speaking of Jon Chang, I was watching the thriller/drama Homeland and they used 'Orphan' by Gridlink when they were using sensory torture on a captured terrorist. It came out of loving no where and I couldn't have been happier.

Where else have you guys seen heavy metal in the mainstream where you certainly didn't expect it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD9Gy9jTJv8&hd=1

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Having listened to this, "Expendable" appears to actually be a song about The Expendables movie.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

Following James Hetfield's successful eyewear collaboration with Sutro Eyewear, Metallica is slapping its name on other accessories, getting together with Vans on a new line of sneakers. A Kill 'Em All-branded version of Vans' signature Half Cab shoe launched earlier this week, featuring embossed Metallica lyrics and a special sole sporting the album's artwork. Next year, the shoe company will launch even more Kill 'Em All shoes, including a Classic Slip-On and a Sk8-Hi style. The world will also be blessed with a "Passion Project" foursome from the band that will feature a sneaker designed by each individual member of Metallica. There's no news yet as to what any of those shoes will look like, but it's probably safe to assume that Lars Ulrich's will be pretty dumb-looking.

I feel like the avclub really missed out by not titling this article "Sell 'Em All"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Semprini posted:

Norway's potential entrant (it's made their domestic final) to this year's Eurovision song contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1O_5Bh97I

Still won't be nearly as funny as the year Lordi won.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

rxcowboy posted:

1: For great steaks, go to Fogo De Chao.

2: For Baltimore kitsch, go to Papermoon Diner.

3: For drunk food at 3am on the weekend go to Blue Moon.

4: Brewers Art and Max's are the two best bars in the city.

All of this is true, although Fogo De Chao is so much more than just "great steaks"

There's also a great combination american diner/indian food place that I could dig up the location of if you think you'd like that sort of thing. And Kawasaki's is a pretty good sushi joint. I also have a lot of friends in Baltimore who are filthy hippies, so if you want good vegan/vegetarian/etc dining options I could ask around.

Also you might want to ask this question in GWC; there are a number of "[X CITY] Dining Thread" threads. I don't think there's one for Baltimore yet, but you could start one, or ask in the DC Dining thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529926

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coolbian57 posted:

The problem with metal is that no one can really successfully play it live. What are some good metal bands that, when seen live, you can actually distinguish what notes are being played?

Manowar.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Looks like Varg's been arrested again.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

chumpchous posted:

Currently enjoying the new Gorguts and some laphrioag. (The new Gorguts is good, of course the only thing I doubted is that it would come out ).

If you casked a scotch when Wintersun came out and drank it when Time I was released it would probably quite mellow.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

He's being scrutinized a lot more heavily than your other average neo-nazi with a blog would be though

To be fair your other average neo-nazi with a blog probably hasn't got a murder rap.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rhapsody has Christopher LEe doing voicovers for their last several albums. Tough to beat for pure bombast.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

What the hell is a white metal?

Black metal for people that love Jesus.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

Meshuggah are writing rhythmic circles with almost nothing of interest melodically going on, Skeletonwitch is candy-coated and predictable, central theme is the backbone of a good album: those are stupid opinions?

I always thought the backbone of a good album was having good songs on it, but what do I know.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I think you found one of Josh Barnett's cars.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'd find it a bit weird if anyone listened to only one genre or subgenre exclusively, no matter what it was.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
PART BIONIC
AND ORGANIC
NOT A CYBORG
CALL HER VULVATRON

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Few things in music this year have made me laugh as hard as the Body Count cover of Institutionalized.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I dont have any clue where I heard this from but I heard a story from someone (and yes, this sounds like Bill Brasky) but apparently at a show he picked a girl up by her crotch and brought her on stage. That's been my only thing about Manowar and whenever I hear a song by em, I think of him picking up girls by their crotch on stage.

Hopefully while they were playing Pleasureslave.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Monkeytime posted:

Power metal is deeply embarrassing

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Battle Beast is pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKwRyzMQ13Q

Their only weakness is maybe writing too many songs about the Manga/anime Berserk.

To be fair, Berserk is really fuckin' metal.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Hammer Floyd posted:

Now undoubtedly during the 90s, Metallica were massive self-indulgent brats, but I find a lot of honesty in St. Anger. That is something I respect the gently caress out of.

Respecting it doesn't mean I wanna listen to it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Furism posted:

Unless you're a musician and you can show me the music you, yourself, composed, it's very hard to take such comments seriously.

:goonsay: