Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I could have sworn that Val Venis being a Republican/Libertarian/Tea Partier/Truther/#AskQuestions kinda guy came up before, I think maybe during the 2008 election but not 100% sure.

Foley's first book mentioned how Val would go on and on about being Canadian and wanting to move to the British West Indies as a tax shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

I would guess it was rope burn from sliding through the ropes just before the finish.

And goddamn is his tattoo awful. It's covering something else up, right? He needs to get that touched up.

It's supposedly inspired by Goldberg's tribal tattoo.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Didn't he get in deep poo poo because of trashing Total Divas on twitter?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MrBling posted:

Does Gabe usually have twitter fights with random people? I just noticed that MRP linked to this https://twitter.com/BookItGabe/status/481658787887992834 and it just seems really stupid and petty.

Yeah. I was having a conversation with a friend on twitter a few years back about our mutual disappointment of the dwindling amount of DG natives showing up on DGUSA shows. We weren't using hashtags or his username, so he must have had a column in Tweet Deck searching for Dragon Gate terms because he interjected and got into it with me about how I wasn't properly supporting his product and I should be grateful to have Jon Davis face Johnny Gargano in a No Ropes match. He has incredibly thin skin.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 28, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Why does Dave 'hate to' say that? Sounds like fun.

It's going to bounce the rey hof bio for the 123th straight week.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

i guess you haven't watched the WWE Archives show because yes it's a guy with a camera in a decently lit warehouse that they clearly make on the cheap

It's also five minutes long & pretty clearly done on the cheap and quickly in comparison to how WWE Network's look/workflow.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
They have a lot of easy overhead/spot lights with the Warehouse and they stick with medium and two shots so they don't need to key Ben Brown or Joey Styles. With a sit down interview for anything like Countdown you are talking coverage, spot, key and accent lights which would require a light designer and at least several tech/grips. You can't use the same light designs for every person due to skin tone/what mood you're trying to set and what else you're wanting to have on screen. You're talking a good hour or so out of a shoot day for set up, and then constant readjustments which just tack on time.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TheJoker138 posted:

Just did. They've definitely got key lights behind the camera, and possibly overhead stuff hidden out of frames to get it lit as evenly as it is. They're also using edge lights because the people and objects stand out from the background. Either that or they have switched out all the bulbs in the warehouse with super bright film lights, possibly something like the LEDs found in an eco-punch.

I'm guessing an eco-punch because the kind of bulbs you'd have to replace the overheads with would be stupidly expensive given the short time period/little reward.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
And here's another thing: We're only talking lighting.

Even with the advanced workflow WWE has it's going to take forever to get decisions made about pre-pro, graphics, transitions, footage choices, sound mixing and possible dubbing. With the cuts WWE is doing, I can't see a producer going to Vince or Kevin Dunn and trying to get the staff/money to make another show. I wouldn't be surprised if they take more of this youtube stuff and use it as interstitials however.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

UFC is able to bring in hundreds of thousands of subscribers with their back catalog and C shows. WWE should be able to run a profitable online subscription service with their back catalog and NXT specials. It would be more difficult because they went with the PPV model first, but in theory people have shown a willingness to pay for that kind of service. (They aren't changing the Network model this year.)

I think the providers would be willing to have the PPVs back but it's going to be on their terms & a lot weaker WWE cut if they were to take them off the Network. Wasn't it near 50-50 or 55 WWE/45 Providers before?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Mob posted:

Enough about lighting, let me tell you how poo poo everybody is at white-balancing

motherfuckers think they can get away with a towel like ROH did back in the day dammit gabe pay 20 bucks and get a white balance card

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Well I was looking to thin who I followed on Twitter and Colt sure as heck made one choice easier for me!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
And that's why you carry on your gear part 2424876

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
oh gently caress off zach ryder

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Skeezy posted:

Please please link me to everything and everything involving this dude. I've been meaning to get into NJPW and all that.

MiSu is the best. He was the guy that really got me into NJPW.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

I'm not sure how to find it, but Bryan Alvarez a year or so ago did a podcast reviewing five totally different MiSu matches ranging from his fight with the Mecha Mummy to his five star classic with Tanahashi at King of Pro Wrestling 2012 to show his amazing range and unique talent set.

I need to find this podcast, and I need to find this now.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Solomonic posted:

You're looking for this episode. It's good poo poo.

If NJPW really takes off in the states, we need a shoot interview with Bryan and Vinny (with probably a translator) with MiSu. Bryan never sounds as excited about wrestling as he does when he talks about Minoru Suzuki.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

can you plz photoshop taguchi's mustache back on him. tia

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

Everyone's jumping on the bandwagon...

Wish we'd see some some poo poo talk from the new English NJPW account.

Funny you should mention that!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Flameingblack posted:

They're the ones accusing Yottsume of selling counterfeit merch even though he's an official NJPW vendor.

What ever happened to yottsume? He's gone dark since wk9.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
DONDA announced as the new USA affiliate of Dragon Gate. Ye has joined Monster Express.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

(the actual blog post is even better)

apparently taguchi got some time in at fmw i tell ya what.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Who the gently caress hates Bullet Club

i don't hate the bullet club but i think joe immediately joining the bullet club like all gaijin have does both a disservice to joe and dilutes the bullet club.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

rovert posted:

Depends how long he is contracted with Dragon Gate.

All Dragon Gate contracts run July to July each year for full-timers. There have been folks who have willingly left (Milano, SUWA, TARU), but most people get dropped and they aren't dropping a member of the Big Six.

That Tozawa/Bayley photo was probably from back in 2010-2011 when Tozawa was in excursion in USA and was based in California. Bayley's from San Francisco. I personally doubt that there much to that photo other than twittering.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

BigRed0427 posted:

Wow, those tweets make it sound like Riley is having a manic episode. Hope he's ok.

all of his tweets sound like that, such as flipping his poo poo passive-aggressively towards a server at a restaurant.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Kevin Nash is from Detroit but his accomplishments make him a Citizen of the World, and I won't let ya'll besmirch his good name any longer :colbert:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

DM Punk posted:

Imagine Alex Riley on the indies. Maybe he can tag with that Tough Enough winner and be the Rage Brothers.

good so they can go to puerto rico where we don't have to deal with them again.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
And a bunch of lemon flavored water.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Chucky T :ohdear:

I know its probably a joke

it's a shame that his only dragon gate tour was interrupted by the tsunami/cima hates him more than anyone from dgusa. he would have been really fun if he stuck there/got a full time gig.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

dsriggs posted:

I think I broke the thread :ohdear:

broke the thread...or made it better?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

flashy_mcflash posted:

Imagine a Thanksgiving dinner with Cena, Nikki, Bryan, Brie, and Johnny Ace. Give me that loving show instead of Total Divas or Swerved or whatever.

I just want to be there to see the awkward conversations about All Japan.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
it better have been good potato salad or i'm not having it from Jimmy Hart.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ricochet is roomies with Uhaa somewhere in Florida, presumably Orlando but I don't know for sure.

at least this means all the weird photos they get from tozawa stay int he same place.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
dave's outright taken jae's writing from iheartdg so many times that unless he's actually reviewing a dragon gate show, i skip the entire section.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

rovert posted:

Not you are wrong. I am lying.

um huh?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

The apple apparently didn't fall far from the shithead tree.

http://deadspin.com/radio-dummy-on-female-nfl-coach-theres-no-place-for-a-1754257086

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
did shibata and nakamura ever bury the hatchet? i bet it's residual with shibata doing those noah dates/being itami's bff

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Cory Lidle posted:

Beadle is just another ESPN personality that tries to make herself the story. She'll say whatever is convenient at the time to get some heat, because that's all they're after. Grandstanding over Mayweather is over, so come back and kiss the ring.

cool story! want to try again without a garbage opinion making assumptions about someone due to where they work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

IcePhoenix posted:

That's actually a really accurate assessment of Beadle, though

so if this was a really accurate assessment then how would this truly opinion coincide with beadle's open and vehement attacks on stephen a smith?

it's garbage, try again.