Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

If the story is worth putting out I'd like the option to get it for under 60-100.

I'll hold out for something like a standard OSHC. My wrists....so dainty......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Tezzeract posted:

Ultimate Comics Ultimates on the other hand is pretty great in both artwork and story.
I still can't believe that's an actual title.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BioTech posted:

I bought the trade and didn't really enjoy it. What do you guys like about it?

While there are some really pretty things in there, I didn't like most of the art and the story seems to be crawling. I feel that in the whole trade nothing happened but "there is a bad thing, lets run from it" on repeat for page after page.

I love Sweet Tooth and bought this because of Lemire's name on it, but felt very disappointed.

I think Animal Man works much better when you pair it with its buddy Swamp Thing every month. Reading those two one after another and getting the titles' different perspectives really helps build the drama of this growing, massive threat the Rot poses. It's not just Buddy dealing with this crazy thing, the entire Green is freaking out, and I like the disparity between one small family's viewpoint, and basically the Earth's.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 30, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

I wasn't sure the best thread to post this in, but I'm wondering what websites or blogs goons follow when it comes to graphic novels and hardcovers? I've been updating my Google Reader and now looking for some good non-superhero comic blogs - whether it's news, upcoming release dates and/or reviews.
It's superhero-heavy, but The Collected Editions blog puts up trade solicitations, and reviews just trades and hardcovers, I believe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read on the Marvel Masterworks forum that the Knightquest volume left out all of the "The Search" issues (Bruce's story) except for Robin #7 (the conclusion), so they might not be as comprehensive as one might like.

edit: Comicbookdb doesn't have those issues listed for that trade, either. Welp, glad I bound it myself.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 21, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I noticed a lot of missing stuff. They probably left it out because those stories were utter poo poo and nobody gave a poo poo about Shondra Kinsolving or Jack Drake even when they were being published. Let's face it, the adventures of Wheels Wayne and his faithful butler were not very interesting.

Heh, Wheels Wayne. I got the impression these were supposed to be "Finally! Everything! Stop complaining already!" omniboo, so it's still disappointing (yet entirely expected) that DC would screw it up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Hey, there's a Fear Agent deluxe hardcover coming out:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-542/Fear-Agent-Volume-1-HC

Sweet--Fear Agent is one of those things I've wanted to get around to for awhile, but never have. This will do nicely.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Scuttle_SE posted:

I've been looking around, but I haven't really been able to find any nice hardcover-editions of either Don Rosa or Carl Barks in the US. Are the duck that much more popular here in europe?
There's the 3 Don Rosa "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" hardcovers that BOOM! put out (which are pretty sweet), and I think that's it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mallratcal posted:

That is a beautiful collection Danzig.
Glenn, that is pretty amazing.

C'mon, let's see everyone else's shelves.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

maybe even have its own thread?
Nah, people are more than welcome (and are encouraged!) to post their collection photos in this thread.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kunzelman posted:

I recently moved to a new place and had to get rid of a lot of stuff, but I'm pretty proud of what I have. Excuse the disarray--there are some things missing that I'm writing on right now.

I too have a decorative Z hanging out with my books!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 17, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

What's the issue with the Y hardbacks? I've heard nothing but good things compared to other deluxe editions.
He's nuts. The Y hardcovers are incredibly well done--love that paper stock.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 19, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

If I already have the three Ultimate Collection books for New X-Men, would it be worth it to pick up the re-print of the omnibus?
I figure the Ultimate collections would be a lot easier to read.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

That's why I never got the other ones.
Well that and the smell :gonk:
How do you make a book smell so bad?
I have no idea what you all are talking about.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Current status of the redbackground trade and hardcover library:

(I've somehow completely misplaced the slipcover for Gotham Central V1.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

JLI never did get finished being collected, did it? Not just stopping the HCs at volume four, but stopping the TPBs a couple volumes later.
Nope. 6 trades out, last one came out in early 2011. Put a fork in it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is the new Grendel Omnibus regular sized, or shrunk-down-like-all-other-Dark Horse-Omniboo sized?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Shrunk down.
Poop.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone know why Punisher MAX hardcovers 4 and 5 are so retardedly rare and expensive when the first three are pretty cheap? I wanna get the series, but not if I have a heaping big gap in the middle. Is it because it's in the process of being reprinted and they just haven't gotten to those volumes yet?
Volume 4 has always been stupidly hard to find for a normal price. I'm pretty sure I was able to grab it for cheap during that Diamond/Amazon debacle (:allears:), but then shortly after that, it just seemed to disappear into the *~aether~*.

(checks current prices on Amazon)
oh GEEZ. :catstare:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before (especially by me), but is the 2009 Avengers Free Comic Book Day issue included in the Siege TPB? I'm looking at the Amazon listing, which doesn't mention it, but someone's review says it is.
Comicbookdb says it is.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Scuttle_SE posted:

Some people posted their shelves a few pages back... Here's my meager collection so far...
What are all the thin red books on the third shelf?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Edit: Global Frequency sounds like it's crazy, too. January seems like an okay month for crazy trades and stuff.
One of my favorite comics. I would love for Ellis to come back to this one day.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Are the new editions of collected No Man's Land doing it right, and actually collecting everything in the right order?

edit: Fuckin' DC

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 1, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Same thing happened with the Hitman reprints. There was ONE LEFT and they changed the god drat logo!
Remember when the new logo came out and everyone went "Oh." and then they said, "No but wait, we're going to mix it up all the time by adding graphic elements and giving it personal style based on the book! Just you wait!" Oh, what times those were.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 2, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Just picked up Criminal and the Marvel Zombus. I haven't read anything "zombie" by Marvel. I'm not expecting it to be amazing or anything like that, but I'm hoping I'm in for a good ride?
#3 (with Machine Man taking lead) is by far the best one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

And speaking of which: the first plastic man trade is without a doubt the smelliest book I've ever owned. It's like a chemical fire on your bookshelf.
Evil Dead "Book of the Dead" DVD smelly?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

xK1 posted:

They're pretty big.

Chris Sims spotted.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

I guess? I've grown to loathe Marvel's love of $20 4-issue hardcovers.
Those are terrible. :hfive:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
New DC trades & hardcovers for March

Gonna get me:

BATMAN, INCORPORATED VOL. 1: DEMON STAR HC
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by CHRIS BURNHAM and FRAZER IRVING
Cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
On sale MAY 8 • 176 pg, FC, $24.99 US
• In this DC Comics–The New 52 collection, Batman and Robin face off against the assassin called Goatboy as Leviathan's sinister mission continues to develop!
• Plus: Someone is trying to kill Damian; Wingman and Redbird descend upon Gotham City; and much more!
• Collects BATMAN, INCORPORATED #0-6.

It doesn't say Deluxe, but it drat well better be.

THE AUTHORITY VOL. 1 HC
Written by WARREN ELLIS and MARK MILLAR
Art by BRYAN HITCH, FRANK QUITELY and others
Cover by BRYAN HITCH and PAUL NEARY
On sale MAY 15 • 296 pg, FC, $29.99 US
• At last, the original run of THE AUTHORITY is collected in hardcover!
• First, the new team battles a nation of super-powered terrorists and stops an invasion from a parallel world. Then, the team faces a godlike invader returns to Earth after eons in exile.
• Collecting THE AUTHORITY #1-12.

Also, for those interested, the Absolute Blackest Night has been expanded to what it should have been in the first place:
ABSOLUTE BLACKEST NIGHT HC
Written by GEOFF JOHNS, PETER J. TOMASI and others
Art by IVAN REIS and others
Cover by IVAN REIS and OCLAIR ALBERT
RESOLICIT • On sale JUNE 26 • 576 pg, FC, 8.25" x 12.5", $125.00 US
• The prophecy of the Blackest Night descends on the DC Universe! Can Hal Jordan lead DC's champions against an army of Black Lanterns?
• Expanded to include BLACKEST NIGHT #0, BLACKEST NIGHT #1-8, UNTOLD TALES OF THE BLACKEST NIGHT #1, DC UNIVERSE #0, the BLACKEST NIGHT DIRECTOR'S CUT #1, and GREEN LANTERN #43-48 and 50-52!
Retailers: This title is resolicited. All previous orders are cancelled.

I don't recall seeing that mentioned earlier. (And seriously, they couldn't fit the John Stewart/Xanshi story from GL 49 in there?)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 7, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

Get the Absolute you poof. That solicit cannot be correct, right? Millar and Quitely didn't start until #13.
I'm sure it's just a goof. I'll happily take a matching Vol. 2 of their run.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

I cannot believe (Actaully, I can) that DC is doing standard size HCs of some of Hitch's best work.
That is unfortunate, I agree.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Slayer1597 posted:

is the book featured above a continuation?
Yes, this continues right from the book you have.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 7, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Have any of the New 52 Hardcovers been Deluxe-sized?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
poo poo. That Batman Inc HC is going to be standard sized, I know it. ffffff

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Harley Quinn Vol. 1 -- Preludes and Knock-Knock Jokes: January 2008
Harley Quinn Vol. 2 -- Night and Day: June 2013

Yup, sounds about right for DC.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PelvicNerve posted:

Also, I'm not touching that new Batman Incorporated HC because if I do, I'm sure it will be regular sized, followed by a softcover only volume 2 with a mismatched spine.
Knowing DC, Volume 2 will be Deluxe-sized.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PelvicNerve posted:

I'd agree if they hadn't hosed up Time and the Batman.
No, that's my point: Vol. 1 (according to solicits) is going to be regular sized because it's got to fit in with the rest of the NEW 52 hardcovers. loving up collections is DC's bread and butter.

Time and Batman was definitely a low point, and those first 3 issues should have just been included with Return of Bruce Wayne or something.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

I thought some of the New 52 were oversized? Or am I misremembering and it was just that some were HC and some TPB?
I haven't seen any (but I'm wrong all the time!). Maybe (hopefully) Batwoman was oversized at least?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 28, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: ATTENTION: IT'S A BSS RAFFLE! WHAAAAT?! :frogsiren:

In celebration of a New Year, between now and Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, January 7th, 2013, anyone who posts at least one photo of their comic bookshelves will be entered into a random drawing to win a Custom Title gift certificate (a $5.00 value! :eyepop:). Now's your chance to change that crusty old avatar you've been holding on to for years at no cost to you! This contest is open to any Something Awful forum member except myself, and you must have some comic-related books in the photo. It doesn't matter if your books are stored in the finest Ikea-produced shelves available, or in a moldy cardboard box, just show off your stuff. You can post as many pictures as you want, but you will only be entered once. Good luck, one and all!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Why not? Here's some old pictures of some of my comics:
Alhazred, your pics aren't showing up (on my end, at least).