Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
How did you get started in the field? I'm currently a student in an Electrical program at a tech college. Anyway they thought us some residential commercial stuff, but I've had the most fun doing industrial and control work. Basically I'm having a hard time finding a place willing to hire me with no experience beyond school. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

That's just how the market is right now.

Are you working on your Associate's or a Bachelor's degree?

My work progression has been pretty simple. I went to an ABET accredited school for my BSEE and interned one summer for a power engineering consulting firm. They offered me a full time position after I graduated and I've been in the industry ever since.

Associates degree. But since starting the program I've accrued a lot of credits toward a Bachelors degree if I want if and I think I want to go back to school in a few years.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009

rainwulf posted:

Question again for anyone: does anyone know/work with the high current low voltage DC stuff used in aluminium refineries? I have heard of stories revolving around the current being so high that its magnetic fields can actually bend stuff, but i would like to hear from an expert.
Also what kind of rectifiers do they use for that? Or is it some other form of low voltage high current generation systems?

I worked at one for two years. We had some pretty intense magnetic fields, not enough to bend anything. But enough that you could break a bone getting your hand caught between a large bolt and the field. Parking a truck or forklift over the wrong spot would keep you from staring it back up, it would also kill the engine of some vehicles. I know it used to be worse and the did some kind of magnetic correction or something that I really didn't understand to save power. I could find out more because my father works there still.

We ran at 1008 VDC for each of the three lines, and 140,000 amps for each line.

Each aluminum pot ran at 4.2 VDC normally. It got fun when we had pots leak, we would get some scary pretty scary arcing. Each pot was filled with cryolite and a number of other chemicals. We would dump bauxite in the side and break it in with a jackhammer attached to a crane. Each pot produced about 100 pounds of aluminum an hour.

We sucked it off in a big ladle that we poured into transports. The transports got hauled up to a cast house where they made several sizes of billet and small ingots.

They used four large rectifiers for each line that I believe where diode type. They could run each potline on two of the rectifiers. They would fail from time to time, and sometimes explode. The lead time is huge on that kind of thing, so they don't want to run the risk of having to shut down as it costs millions to restart.

edit: I worked at an Aluminum smelter. Did you mean a bauxite refinery?

• Locked thread