Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
Voting Imoen, Shar-Teel, Finch, Rose and Gavin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I stop stop laughing every time I read Will's name because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3-aXzxjHS0

Oh man I must've seen that movie a dozen times and I completely forgot about this part.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
Finch, Gavin, Kivan, Rose, and Shar-Teel.

EDIT: Wait I suppose you should have a thief, sub Finch out for Tiax.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
If you can still get Jaheira and Khalid back after dropping them, then drop them. If for some reason they'd be gone for good if you dropped them now (i.e., your reputation is so low that they would just leave without waiting at an inn), then keep them until it's safe to put them on the bench.

For now, go with:

Imoen for thief skills, and because she's your BFF
Kivan for machine-gun archery
Gavin for healing and beating things with non-pointy weapons. Plus, he seems decently-written so far, and I'd like to see more of him.
Shar-Teel for beating things with pointy weapons (give her the magical gauntlets and sword)
Finch for a secondary healer and/or priest caster, and hopefully some humor value as she interacts with Imoen

Once we meet Minsc, I'll probably want to swap Shar-Teel out for Minsc, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Also, Haiass doesn't count against your six-person party limit, right? Then take him along as well, naturally.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah, the quest with Garrick one of the few things I actually remember from when I attempted to play BG1 years ago. Not that I could never really get myself to actually finish it because I couldn't stand it mechanically.

Now my original party pick would've been Imoen, Rose, Kivan, Gavin, and Will. But then I realized that is an incredibly squishy party with no real tank. So let's switch out Rose for Shar-Teel for the time being. So my final pick is
Imoen
Shar-Teel
Kivan
Gavin
Will Scarlet
Also keep the Wolf.

Probably an poorly balanced party but then I've always been terrible at gaming the system so to speak.

I want to see this too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Imoen
Kivan
Kagain
Gavin
Rose

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Shar-Teel
Haiass
Imoen

nobody else. Team Dysfunction, go!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I just realized that's its been two weeks in-game and I'm still level 1. My god, what have I gotten myself into?

Also, I'm totally up for playing unbalanced parties, they just might die in messy ways.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 15, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I distinctly remember Kagain as having 20 con - which made him regenerate his health, which was awesome. Is that a mod change?

Keep: Kivan, Kagain, Imoen

Ditch: Jaheira, Khalid, Rose (unless she's a hilarious Mary Sue you want to show off)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Imoen, Kivan, Kagain, Finch, and Shar-Teel, but get a decent non-evil frontliner that doesn't get special-snowflake penalties for using Frostbrand so you can ditch Shar-Teel. I'd suggest heading north for Ajantis but he's really no better.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Just got caught up, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more, as I could never get Big Picture to work.

Anyways, Imoen, Kivan, Kagain, Finch, and Rose.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

rizzen posted:

Going with this - Rose in particular seems to have a strong probability of being either hilariously broken, terribly written, or a delightful combination of the two.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Xander77 posted:

I distinctly remember Kagain as having 20 con - which made him regenerate his health, which was awesome. Is that a mod change?

Keep: Kivan, Kagain, Imoen

Ditch: Jaheira, Khalid, Rose (unless she's a hilarious Mary Sue you want to show off)

Yes, apparently it's the BG2 Tweak Pack which says that Kagain's legal constitution score is 19. I checked the Big World PDF and apparently 4 or 5 different mods include the option to knock Kagain's score down to 19, but that is the mod which actually does it in the install script. I guess modders REALLY don't like dwarves having 20 con.

Also, you've only got 3 people in your list. You don't want to vote for 2 more?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I don't think it's going too far off the mark, but I'm voting for:

Kagain, Rose, Shar-Teel (for the big sword), Finch, and Kivan

I'd like Imoen to be in there as well, and so would be willing for Shar-Teel to step aside, but that means no smashy-sword, which is no fun.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
I say you cheat a Manual of Constitution in and raise Kagain back to 20.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vorgen posted:

I guess modders REALLY don't like dwarves having 20 con.
:/

quote:

Also, you've only got 3 people in your list. You don't want to vote for 2 more?
:shrug:
They're the only peeps I care about. Err... gnome girl and garrick, just to see if they have horrible flirting banter?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Xander77 posted:

They're the only peeps I care about. Err... gnome girl and garrick, just to see if they have horrible flirting banter?

Ummm... Garrick ran away when my wild magic popped a Horror on the entire street during Silke's fight, and we haven't seen him since. I think he also refuses to join us if we actually do Silke's dirty work too. Sorry!

I actually forgot he was a joinable party member. Heh. At the time I was working with the idea that Silke was the joinable one. Oh well no reloads!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 15, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

*Tries to actually pay attention after a long night browsing the forums at work*

Shar-Teel and Finch. My final choice. :colbert:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

ShiningForceHero posted:

Sorry, I already made a pledge of no cheating, but there are actual Manuals of Constitution we could use on him when we find them.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006

Vorgen posted:

Sorry, I already made a pledge of no cheating, but there are actual Manuals of Constitution we could use on him when we find them.

Except that Kagain is supposed to have 20 Con, I just figured if everyone agrees on that it would be more a correction then cheating. Hell, Coran got to keep his 20 Dex with no explanation, yet Kagain got shafted.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

ShiningForceHero posted:

Except that Kagain is supposed to have 20 Con, I just figured if everyone agrees on that it would be more a correction then cheating. Hell, Coran got to keep his 20 Dex with no explanation, yet Kagain got shafted.

Are you sure? We haven't run into Coran yet.

Now look what you've made me do. You've made me go searching through the PDF for all mentions of Coran and look what I found:

Big World Project 10.0 posted:

Install Component 11 [The BG1 NPC Project: Coran’s Romance Core (adult content)]? [I]nstall

It's a drat shame I'm a male character. Although, poo poo! One of the wild mage surges changes gender. I gotta stop using Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.

Also, based on what I've been seeing while skimming the PDF we can summon almost every single NPC we'e ever met, ESPECIALLY the modded ones, to the Throne of Bhaal pocket plane, once we get there. That is going to be one huge crowd. We are going to have to set up a disco ball and get Cespenar to forge a Bar of Never-ending Ale.

But back to the point of why I was searching through this PDF in the first place.

Big World Project 10.0 posted:

Install Component 2 [Corans Geschicklichkeit auf 19]? [I]nstall

Ok, so it looks like Coran's Geschicklichkeit is also only going to be 19. A pity, truly. I only respect a man if his Geschicklichkeit is 20 at least.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006

Vorgen posted:

Ok, so it looks like Coran's Geschicklichkeit is also only going to be 19. A pity, truly. I only respect a man if his Geschicklichkeit is 20 at least.

This is outrageous. Just outrageous.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

rizzen posted:

Going with this - Rose in particular seems to have a strong probability of being either hilariously broken, terribly written, or a delightful combination of the two.

I'll support this. Even though Kagain seems to have beat with the nerfstick pretty hard. Troll slayer? Really...?

ShiningForceHero posted:

And this. I wouldn't call it "cheating" any more than modding it down to 19 in the first place.

...but we could probably find a mod that sets it to 20 again if that's better?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Id rather just play with the way things are. There will be disappointments and gross-outs from bad mod decisons, yes, but there will also be moments of pure beauty. We can run across a ring of regeneration, or a manual of constitution, or any number of other magical items to help kagain get more uber.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Graben das unbeholfene rotznase :colbert:

Gramcrackered
Oct 2, 2008
If a single point of Constitution is enough to make you all lose your minds, I imagine there's gonna be a lot of bumps in the road ahead.

Shar-Teel, Imoen, Kivan, Rose, Finch.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Shar-Teel, Imoen, Gavin, Kivan, Finch.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Finch, Gavin, Imoen, Kagain and Kivan. Also keep the wolf.

Also, if you happen to count negative votes, I suggest you ditch Jaheira, because after reading this LP I remembered why I kicked her out of the party as soon as possible when I played SoA.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Imoen, Shar-Teel, Finch, Rose, Kivan, and the cat and wolf of course

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Take Finch, Imoen, Kagain, Kivan, and Rose, and keep the wolf.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Imoen
Kivan
Kagain
Gavin
Rose

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I'd just want you to keep Imoen and Finch in the party. I don't care about the rest, except that I'd want Minsc to stay in once you get him.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Ok, here are the results so far:

code:
Finch:     19
Gavin:     12
Imoen:     22
Jaheira:    0
Kagain:    12
Khalid:     0
Kivan:     20
Rose:      16
Shar-Teel: 14
Tiax:       2
Will:       2
So unless there are some last-minute votes soon, our new party is going to be Finch, Imoen, Kivan, Rose, and Shar-Teel. I can work with that.

Oh, and I didn't count negative votes, but Jaheira got rejected 3 times, Kagain 1, Khalid 2, and Rose 1. Maybe next time we can do it with 5 votes, either positive or negative. So if there's 3 people you just do not want, you can vote against those 3 and then have 2 more votes to promote the ones you do want to see. Complicated, but doable I think.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not a single loving vote for Jaheira.

excellent

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Can we get a screenshot of the assembled crew? Was there a post in this thread detailing how I would get my game into the state of the one you're playing? I tried to look but it must be buried between the huge updates.

edit: what happened to the Icewind Dale stuff in the OP?

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 16, 2011

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

edit: what happened to the Icewind Dale stuff in the OP?

Um... I have some sad news about that. I thought one of the mods I had installed, BGTNEJ, was the baldur's gate trilogy version of the neverending jourey, the mod that basically takes you through all of icewind dale. Unfortunately it turns out that mod only gives the classes from the neverending journey mod and not the gameplay. The actual neverending journey mod hasn't been maintained for a while and is no longer compatible with the big world project so it was discontinued some versions ago. I was working with outdated information and we won't be able to go to icewind dale :(.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So no Drizz't Do'Urden? How could you betray us like this! :argh:

I'ma go and make a Night Elf Warrior named Drizz't to soothe my feelings :qq:

VVV I know :ssh:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 17, 2011

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Slaan posted:

So no Drizz't Do'Urden? How could you betray us like this! :argh:

I'ma go and make a Night Elf Warrior named Drizz't to soothe my feelings :qq:

Umm... there will be quite a few Drizz'ts before this Let's Play is over.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

15 Mirtul, 1369

After a long and intense night of discussion, negotiation, argument, and counter-argument, I finally decide on the party I will take with me to hunt down the man Bassilus: Imoen, Finch, Kivan, Rose, and Shar-Teel. I say goodbye to Khalid and Jaheira, after asking Khalid to switch armors with Finch, and Jaheira to give the boots to Finch as well. Finch needs love. With the boots, Finch can cast 5 level one spells, which is strange, because Jaheira could cast 7. Oh well.

They leave out the door.

Gameplay note: They went to the Friendly Arm Inn without initiating dialog first. Rude bastards.

Suddenly Mr. Dudley shows up, from across town.

There were 100 gp too much in my bag after you left... Is that a grin on your face there? You are very friendly and generous indeed, but we can't accept a donation of so much money.

Are you sure? See, you really need that money, and I hae still enough for my own purposes.

There is no question about it. We are in your debt for sure, friendly stranger. Take that money back, and may the gods be with you.

He gives us back the 100 gold that we had slipped into his money bag, and I do not object. Imoen might have given a little sniff, though. I turn and head over to talk a little bit with Shar-Teel.

I do have need of you, but not because of your debt. Your skill is invaluable to me.

Make no mistake; I follow you only because of your prowess in battle. When that falters, so does my loyalty.

Then I try to make a big deal out of giving her the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and the Flame of the North. She might have been impressed, but it's hard to tell. You know, she only joined us because Khalid kicked her rear end, and now Khalid is gone. This might be a mistake. But nevertheless, I ask Kivan to join back up again too.

I would tend to agree. Perhaps we should rejoin and continue on our way.

A wise choice. Lead on.

I lead them... straight to the Innkeeper to get some much-needed rest and prepare for the journey. But before I can do that, we are interrupted by a little gnome-looking guy.

Sucks to be him I guess? I then arrange rooms for everyone, and we all go to sleep. Well, not all of us.

You know it has an edge! What are we, small children, to fight with blunted blades? Defend yourself, coward!

I will not take a wound so you might exorcise your demons. My sword is on the ground, and I will not lift it. The practice is over.

You might call yourself an elf, but you are just as full of it as a human man! *spits* You are afraid that a woman can beat you!

That is not true. Shayleigh of Shilmista is a far better sword than I. My wife would put an arrow through mine in full flight. I have no problem with you being female; I have a problem with you treating me as a real enemy in a mock fight.

Word, words and more words. I knew I should not have wasted my time on a flimsy elf. You cannot even put up decent resistance. It is true what they say of your kin: you have water in your veins, not blood!

You must have suffered much, Shar Teel, to become this bitter, but I am not kind enough to see beyond the rough facade and try to heal your soul. I pray that you meet someone who would.

You know that you are insufferably stupid? Even for a man?

Say what you want, Shar Teel. I just do not care.

After we wake up the next day, I ask Finch about the magical ring we picked up. She looks at it for a few seconds with her glasses, and tells me it is a Ring of Protection.

Since if Shar-Teel goes down we all probably go down, I give that to her as well. Before we leave, I decide to go to the second floor of this Inn to see what there is to see. It kinda freaks me out.

Are you... haunting? You are not seen by day here...

That's our business, but it shall remain our secret however...

Alrighty then! I back out of the room and go downstairs again. I try the front upstairs room because they seem to be separated.

Who do you mean?

That... that Bjornin. I can feel his eyes looking at me. He's a paladin, you know. They ain't right in the head. They... they just look at you and you've been judged. What right do they have to do that?

Has he threatened you in some way?

Well... no, but I KNOW he's looking for me. Why else would he be down there? Sure, he SAYS he's resting and chatting up the locals, but I just KNOW he's here for me. Well, I'm just gonna stay up here 'til he's gone.

Why doesn't he just come upstairs and get you if he is so interested in you?

Well that would be too easy, wouldn't it? No, he wants me to sit up here wondering if he knows that I know that he knows that I know that he knows I'm up here knowing what he knows! I just know it!

Have you... talked to someone about this? You seem... agitated.

Recent evidence suggests that a barrel full of monkeys is not half as much fun as previously claimed, and is, in fact, rather horrifying!

Oooooooh kaaaaaay. Goodbye now.

So we're off! Kivan suggests that we go to the area around the High Hedge to get used to each other's fighting styles. He said he saw a few skeletons out there that would be easy to fight, so we go. It takes 8 hours. When we arrive, Kivan strikes up a conversation about the forest.

They say one yearns for something one cannot have. I was cooped up in Candlekeep for what seemed like ages to me. Now I enjoy the freedom of the wide world beyond, forest and city alike.

You remind me of myself on my first ranging. I wonder if, like me, you feel that it is time for you to start living. And if I am not mistaken, you are quite pleased with that change.

Nah, it all went so terribly wrong, Kivan! Gorion is dead, I am on the road with chanced comrades, someone is after me... That might seem like living to you, for myself I have to say that I want no part of it. But I am afraid I have no choice in the matter.

I wish I could console you, Syvishtar, yet I cannot. I know the pain and the emptiness of a loss and the hopelessness all too well. However, we must keep going, if only to avenge those who were so mercilessly erased from the world.

With those encouraging words, we begin the patrol of the woods around the High Hedge. Walking through the trees, we find a horse. Kivan walks up to it and charms it by whistling a few lines. The horse follows us, presumably there to help us in a future fight.

A little later we run into a huge spider, walking towards us from the north.

Strangely enough, my cat is the one that kills it. We keep walking. A little while later we find a cabin in the woods, looking inviting with its no-people-present-ness.

There's nothing inside but a cheery fire and a locked chest, which not even Imoen's lockpicking or Shar-Teel's 20 strength can open.

Gameplay note: Oh yeah, did I mention that the Gauntlets of Ogre Power give Shar-Teel 20 strength? 'Cuz they do!

We find a few more horses grazing in the glens, and hear a lot of birds singing in the trees, but don't find too many more monsters, that is until Shar-Teel spots a Gnoll Slasher in the trees. I want to see her performance with all of her equipment, so I tell everyone else to stay back and watch. She eagerly rushes in for the kill, saying "I love bloodshed." As she attacks, blue-white flames erupt around her.

She hits the gnoll again and chunks go flying. A few swings later, his friend bursts into chunks as well. It is a very good thing the demon-woman is on our side.

One of the gnolls has not only his halberd on him, but a short sword too.

I met that guy, Purdue, right after the fight where I met Finch! I have to go back and give him this sword. He might pay me for it. With nothing else left to explore, we declare this area safe!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vorgen posted:

ACTION TEXT :argh:

I imagine Charm Animal may actually have some use at these levels. I never really thought about that before. :saddowns: Did rangers even have that skill in vanilla BG1? It's been a long time since I played it.

I'm also not sure if I prefer the original gauntlets of ogre power or the new ones. Making it a bonus probably makes more sense than having them set the stat to a specific value, but 20 STR is kind of ridiculous.

• Locked thread