Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

Seems like a lot of crystal malt for 5 gallons to me. I usually stay more in the 1 pound/5 gallons range, myself. I'd do a little 40L crystal or something, maybe 8 ounces, and maybe 1 or 2 ounces of black patent for color - but dink around with the amount of patent malt to get a color you like as it is easy to overshoot.

Lots of amber or red beers are just pale beers with sinamar or black malt added.

That's a lot of crystal for anybody, listen to this guy.

If your friends are super picky you might just want to go full on Killians-esque and do a bill with 2 row, a dash of crystal and a dash of black patent. Even that amount of Vienna is going to be chewy for picky drinkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So I think I either made a horrible choice with using Fuggles in a Witbier or the yeast needs a lot of time to clean up. I used 1oz of Fuggles at 40 minutes for bittering due to lack of a better option at the time. I used 1oz at 40 minutes because I don't have a vacuum sealer and 1oz at 40 gave me the 19.8% IBU I wanted. I wound up using Forbidden Fruit yeast and had ambient temperatures at 61-65 degrees.

It's been 5 days since I started fermentation and I believe it's done fermenting, it hit 1.008. The problem is there's this slightly sulfur, or herbal character overpowering the lemon zest and tangerine zest in the aroma and in the flavor. Is this just a product of the yeast needing time to clean up or a product of Fuggles being a bad choice to use, especially at 40?

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Has anyone used El Dorado or Mosaic Hops yet? I have a pound of each and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Sulfur aroma/flavor is definitely a characteristic of some yeast strains, it usually dissipates with time.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

internet celebrity posted:

Sulfur aroma/flavor is definitely a characteristic of some yeast strains, it usually dissipates with time.

Thanks, I'm not positive it's sulfur but that's the first thing that came to mind when smelling it through the airlock, tasting it had more of an herbal character, which I found odd though since 40 minutes shouldn't contribute much flavor or aroma.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

Seems like a lot of crystal malt for 5 gallons to me. I usually stay more in the 1 pound/5 gallons range, myself. I'd do a little 40L crystal or something, maybe 8 ounces, and maybe 1 or 2 ounces of black patent for color - but dink around with the amount of patent malt to get a color you like as it is easy to overshoot.

Lots of amber or red beers are just pale beers with sinamar or black malt added.

Thanks for the feedback; I was trying to get a stronger caramel flavor. Would it do well to move a pound of crystal to Vienna, or should I just make it 2 row?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 8, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
HopsDirect got back to me today. They'll have rhizomes for sale on the website in March.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Do people ever have rhizomes of rarer hops like Citra and Amarillo? I usually just see Cascade, Centennial, and other popular varieties.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

hellfaucet posted:

Do people ever have rhizomes of rarer hops like Citra and Amarillo? I usually just see Cascade, Centennial, and other popular varieties.

IIRC Citra and Amarillo are proprietary hops so it's pretty unlikely you'll ever see rhizomes for them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also have a question about calculating brewhouse efficiency. I did a rye PA (Founder's rye clone) last weekend with Brewer's Friend as my software. Recipe:

quote:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Rye PA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Wheat or Rye Beer
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 7.22%
IBU (tinseth): 74.91
SRM (morey): 17.51

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (56.3%)
2 lb - Flaked Rye (12.5%)
3 lb - American - Pilsner (18.8%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 150L (6.3%)
1 lb - American - Vienna (6.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Perle for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 8.2, IBU: 30.01)
1 oz - Amarillo for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 8.6, IBU: 24.18)
1 oz - Amarillo for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 8.6, IBU: 15.61)
1 oz - Cascade for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7, IBU: 5.11)

MASH STEPS:
1) Temperature, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 20 qt, Heat to 170
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 20 qt

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale V Yeast WLP051
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 72.5%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temperature: 66 F - 70 F

NOTES:
Primary @ 68
Secondary @ 68
3 days @ 34

Dry hop after primary:
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade

Results as follows, per brewer's friend's software:

Mash: 40 Qts. Conversion rate was 116%
Into kettle: 30 qts @ 1.061 (78%)
Boil complete: 22 qts @ 1.071 (67%)
Fermentor: 19 qts @ 1.071 (58%)

Can someone explain where the software is getting those efficiency numbers from? How did I wind up with a conversion rate of over 100%, but only 58% into the fermentor? Is there a way I could do better from kettle to fermentor?

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

hellfaucet posted:

Your best bet is to find someone that lives in Yakima and have them snip something you can make a rhizome out of.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

hellfaucet posted:

You have to have a license from the developer to grow Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Summit, etc.

Noghri_ViR posted:

Has anyone used El Dorado or Mosaic Hops yet? I have a pound of each and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.
Mosaic is purportedly very similar to Citra; I passed on buying some earlier because I had so much Citra I didn't really think I could use the Mosaic.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 8, 2013

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Just got home to a package from my Goonbrew santa! So stoked to try these. I just invited my brewing buddy over and we are going to have a tasting tonight and post feedback in a bit. I thought it was particularly hilarious that you wrote your pros and cons of each beer, I guess we are our own worst critics. :3:

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Okay, homebrewing thread: looking for advice again.

One of my friends is getting married in the fall (most likely October) and has requested something like a sour IPA, if possible. I'd like to give it a shot, but I have some questions - I've never done a sour before. I was thinking maybe something like the Petrus Aged Pale.

My first question is - is there any way I can get this done in time? I know a lot of sour beers are aged for a long time - a clone recipe for Petrus called for 18 months aging. Obviously, thay wouldn't be an option given the time frame.

Has anyone tried a beer like this? Do you think it would work better to blend a sour beer and a hoppy one or to dry-hop a sour?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Sour IPA seems like maybe the worst choice for a wedding ever. I'm getting married in May and I'm honestly having trouble with what my craft beer choice will be because people are so loving picky. I'd love to do a hoppy beer, but the average Joe just isn't going to dig that.

A good sour takes a LONG time. You can't really rush them. Blending will definitely be your best choice if you do make this.

Is there any way you can talk him out of his decision for this style?

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Sionak posted:

One of my friends is getting married in the fall (most likely October) and has requested something like a sour IPA, if possible. I'd like to give it a shot, but I have some questions - I've never done a sour before. I was thinking maybe something like the Petrus Aged Pale.

My first question is - is there any way I can get this done in time? I know a lot of sour beers are aged for a long time - a clone recipe for Petrus called for 18 months aging. Obviously, thay wouldn't be an option given the time frame.

Has anyone tried a beer like this? Do you think it would work better to blend a sour beer and a hoppy one or to dry-hop a sour?

Possible? Yes..... You're right in that the preffered age of a sour is 1-3 years before it meets its stride. If I were in an "Iron-Brew" competition and had to do this, I would probably do a basic sour recipe, maybe wheat and pilsner malt, and add lots of dregs to it from my favorite commercial beers. Jolly Pumpkin dregs have been known to be extremely fast acting and can create something passable in a few months. I would probably create a starter of that and pitch that without regular Saccharomyces. Then I would keg it and dry hop in the keg with hops that pair well or even put whole hops into a randal and push the keg beer through that before serving.

https://www.themadfermentationist.com This guy has done several hoppy sours but none had the turn around time that you're looking at. Again, like hellfaucet said, most wedding guests will probably hate it, but I don't see any harm in trying. If you've got the money and room for the extra equipment, why not?

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Sionak posted:

You could do a sour mash, but if you're looking to sour it up with brett or something then you don't really have enough time.

I've had a Sour Mash Pale Ale that was part of my clubs project with Widmer that was actually quite good. If I were you I would test it out a couple of times before making a batch for the wedding.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

After a failed attempt yesterday to get the heating pad from my mom, finally got it today. Went to put it on my bucket and notice it says 'Auto shut off' right on the dial. :doh:

On the upside, I found out we have heating pads to sell to patients at my workplace that I can long-term borrow one...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I got just a hint of sourness but mostly musky funk using WLP670 and <6 month secondary. So he's probably right at the very cusp of being able to do anything noticeable or not.

Lagunitas has a taphouse geuze that uses soured Lil Sumpin Wild as one of the blending beer and its pretty good so its not really unprecedented to do something hoppy. But then it wasn't good because it was hoppy so it becomes a matter of is it really necessary to make it hoppy.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sionak posted:

I don't think there's any way you can get this done in 10 months with any kind of certainty. Sour beers kind of have minds of their own, and even if it was done in 10 months, unless you've got a crowd of beer nerds who really like sours and IPAs, you're going to come home with 4.5 gallons left of your 5 gallon keg. The only thing approaching a hoppy sour that I've ever had was Cantillon Iris, and I can tell you, even not knowing anyone else who has actually had it, that it's an extremely polarizing beer. I'd suggest brewing something more accessible and seeing if there's any way in hell you can hook your friend up with an Iris.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

bewbies posted:

Thanks for the feedback; I was trying to get a stronger caramel flavor. Would it do well to move a pound of crystal to Vienna, or should I just make it 2 row?

I mean, you'd definitely get a caramel flavor with 2 pounds of C90 in there, but I don't think it's really going to turn out to be the best beer you can make for a crowd of not-craft-beer-drinker fishing buddies. It would also be pretty sweet and would have kind of a heavy mouthfeel, which the megabrau drinkers will not be ready for, IMO.

Me, I like Vienna, so I'd sub that in, and I think it would make a tasty beer, but you would not be wrong to use 2-row either.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

hellfaucet posted:

I'm getting married in May and I'm honestly having trouble with what my craft beer choice will be because people are so loving picky. I'd love to do a hoppy beer, but the average Joe just isn't going to dig that.

Not to drive the topic too far off homebrewing, but I got married this last May and I made the venue get Sam Adams Noble Pils (first choice was Victory Prima Pils) and Troegs Dreamweaver and those went over amazingly well, I was hearing from people all night how much they loved the beer selection. My reasoning was basically that I wanted something hoppy but sessionable as well as something very approachable.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Oh god more "just married" info: We had Allagash White and Two Brother's Domaine Dupage - and everyone loved those. Wheat beers and pretty approachable isn't impossible.

For the fishing trip, just brew a simple cream ale or wheat beer. If it were summer, wheat beer would be a no brainer.

Midorka posted:

Thanks, I'm not positive it's sulfur but that's the first thing that came to mind when smelling it through the airlock, tasting it had more of an herbal character, which I found odd though since 40 minutes shouldn't contribute much flavor or aroma.

I'd say the sulfur was 100% the yeast, but the herbal should be your hops. My ciders smelled like a new fresh level of sulfur (Icelandic water anyone?) hell for a couple of weeks, making me worry they were broke - but low, it went away in a week or slightly more.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Thanks for the advice on the hoppy sour, everyone. I did warn him that a) it might not be possible to really do and b) it might not be a hit with everyone. I think I will have a much more approachable back-up beer (maybe a saison or something similar), because the sour seems like a gamble.

On wedding beer chat, my wife's cousin made up a pale ale and a more malty Scottish style ale, and I had some hard cider, all of which were a hit in May. At least, all the kegs were pretty well empty at the end of the reception..

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Keep in mind that most sour bugs HATE hops ... which if I'm not mistaken was the reason they were used in the first place. Lacto (for instance) doesn't do well in beers above 10ish IBUs.

hellfaucet - I hope you enjoy! Excited to get some feedback.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I have a decent short term sour that usually gets my fix, but isn't at all a "Sour IPA."

2 Lb Cara-Pils
10 lb Pils
.6 oz challenger 7.8% (Boil 30 min)
.6 oz challenger 7.8% (Boil 10 min)
2 lbs 2 oz frozen blackberries
.5 grams cardamom

Make sure to get green cardamom and the weight in grams should be the little black seeds, not the whole pod. You might want to dial back the cardamom just a little bit, as I remember it being the most forward taste. The beer was delicious at about 4 months, and speaking of, I really need to go back and take another taste, as it's finally approaching 1 year.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sionak posted:

Sour and bitter don't do together well at all, which is why Lambic uses aged hops that have no Alpha Acids in them. Seriously, go buy a lambic/sour and then some Ruination and pour them together and you will see what I mean.

If your friend asked for sour, he probably wants sour more than bitter. I'd just make a sour mash Berliner-Weisse and be ready to blend it with a non-soured batch to taste, myself. See http://seancoates.com/blogs/berliner-weisse for sour mashing details. Then I'd make a second keg of your favorite IPA so he could have both.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

Sionak posted:

Someone posted a recipe on homebrew talk for basically a cheater berliner weisse from extract that's ready to drink in about a month. Should give you plenty of time to brew it and see if the groom likes it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/berliner-weisse-268935/

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

ZIGfried posted:

Someone posted a recipe on homebrew talk for basically a cheater berliner weisse from extract that's ready to drink in about a month. Should give you plenty of time to brew it and see if the groom likes it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/berliner-weisse-268935/

Whoa, that's awesome, I know what I'm brewing next!

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Las Vegas Bowl

Sionak posted:

Thanks for the advice on the hoppy sour, everyone. I did warn him that a) it might not be possible to really do and b) it might not be a hit with everyone. I think I will have a much more approachable back-up beer (maybe a saison or something similar), because the sour seems like a gamble.

On wedding beer chat, my wife's cousin made up a pale ale and a more malty Scottish style ale, and I had some hard cider, all of which were a hit in May. At least, all the kegs were pretty well empty at the end of the reception..

I did wedding beers for my sister 2 years ago. I was actually surprised because out of the 6 that I brewed, the saison was the first to blow.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Quick question for Jo3sh or anyone else who brews double batches in keggles. When you whirlpool your wort before siphoning, how wide is the pile of trub at the bottom of your keg?

Not my keg, but it's all the same hardware; I don't want to pickup from the center, but from the side, so I need to know how far up the dish to go.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Garanimals4Seniors posted:

Quick question for Jo3sh or anyone else who brews double batches in keggles. When you whirlpool your wort before siphoning, how wide is the pile of trub at the bottom of your keg?

Not my keg, but it's all the same hardware; I don't want to pickup from the center, but from the side, so I need to know how far up the dish to go.

I do 12 gallon batches in kegs. My diptube is about a half inch down the dome, maybe a tiny bit less. It leaves a fairly significant amount of wort, but I get lots of trub and I shoot for 12g post boil volume anyway.

I recirculate at full speed with a pump during the whole chilling process instead of doing a real whirlpool. It does a sort of vorlauf and sucks the trub that's in front of the dip tube through and after 15 minutes of chilling/recirc, it's all well out of the way.

I've been experimenting with using a false bottom in the boil kettle, but usually only when I've got whole hops mixed in with pellets.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It's possible to turn around a drinkable sour in a few months with bottle dregs + sacc. It's just not going to be as good as it will be 9-10 months later. Consider a dry-hopped sour if you want to explored the world of sours + hops (Iris is one of these iirc). Then again, you could say no to the sour aspect and go brett IPA, ala Anchorage's Galaxy White IPA.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Garanimals4Seniors posted:

My pickup is about 1/3 of the way down the dome. I'm not really very happy with that placement, honestly. I'm working on a couple of ideas to trap the sediment more completely, and I'll let the thread know when I figure them out, but given my usual glacial pace of following through on stuff, I would not hold my breath or anything.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Hello Everybody! Ill post a bit more about myself and some of my history in brewing a little later, but I was looking for some quick mead advice on the fly.

Ill be starting a Maple mead this weekend (This will be my fourth Gallon (and the last before I up my game to 3 gallon batches))
(Small 1 gallon batch)
Right now I have every thing I need but after a sampling of my apple cider mead (1/2 gal cider; 3# honey; Red star Pasteur champagne yeast (It was dried to the proverbial bone)) I'm wondering if I'll need more sugars to have some residual leftovers with my current yeast.

Maple mead plans
3# - Minnesota Clover honey
2 - 2oz maple syrups (once with the primary fermentation and another when I rack it)
Red Star Premiere Cuvee Yeast

It looks like the Cuvee and Champagne yeasts have higher Alcohol tolerances and I don't want this one too be very dry and I want to avoid back sweetening if I can.
So back to my question. Do you guys think I should add an additional pound or half pound of honey to keep it from drying out too much? Or will the unfermentable sugars in the 4oz of syrup be enough to keep it in the medium dry to medium range in sweetness?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Started a Raspberry and Apple cider in september, siphoned it off of the crud today;

primary Ingredients:
3kg frozen raspberries
11L Apple juice concentrate
Cultivated yeast from a bottle of Weston's Old Rosie cloudy cider.

Started by emptying 3kg of frozen raspberries into a fermentation barrel and then poured boiling water over to defrost them. Once defrosted more boiled water was added until the raspberries were fully covered. Then the raspberries were mashed, while avoiding breaking the seeds.

Added 2tsp campden powder and 3tsp Pectic enzyme and then it was left to sit for 48 hrs. (a reaction seems to occur between the campden powder and the raspberry's red colour; it changed to a pale pink immediately after being added but then over time the deep red colour gradually returns. There is probably some sort of interesting chemical equilibrium type explanation)

before and after campden'ing

The raspberry fibre and seeds were strained off with a jelly strainer and discarded. 11L of Apple concentrate was then added to the raspberry juice in the FV.

Added another tsp of Pectic enzyme, 2tsp of Malic acid, and 6tsp of Yeast nutrient. Then I pitched yeast cultivated from a bottle of Weston's Old Rosie cider. This includes malolactic bacteria, which can ferment Malic acid (sharp taste) into Lactic acid (soft taste).

Starting Specific gravity: 1.042

After two weeks I added another 1kg of Raspberry and 3L of Apple and left to ferment again. Specific gravity after initial was 1.004, and after adding more juice was 1.014.

Today I transferred it off of the dregs. There were some bits floating in it from the yeast which stuck to the walls during the initial fermentation, so I added a filter to my siphon with some double folded muslin and an elastic band.

amazing colour

bodged like a pro

Planning on leaving it to bulk age for another 5 months or so. It currently has a very pungent sulphurous odor, but that should clear up over the time.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Marshmallow Blue posted:

So back to my question. Do you guys think I should add an additional pound or half pound of honey to keep it from drying out too much? Or will the unfermentable sugars in the 4oz of syrup be enough to keep it in the medium dry to medium range in sweetness?

Maple syrup is definitely fermentable and the champagne yeast will shred through absolutely everything no matter when you add it. I'd switch to a less aggressive yeast for sure if you don't want to have to deal with backsweetening.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 10, 2013

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Maple syrup is definitely fermentable and the champagne yeast will shred through absolutely everything no matter when you add it. I'd switch to a less aggressive yeast for sure if you don't want to have to deal with backsweetening.

Alright thanks, I had given my friend a list for the brew store and they didn't have my preferred cotes de blanc and he grabbed the cuvee by employee suggestion. So it looks like it will be a backsweetening for me.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
New email promo from Northern Brewer:

quote:

Enter coupon code "FREE6ME" once your subtotal is at or above $150. The free 6 gallon carboy will be automatically added to your cart. Minimum order of $150 is required. Offer valid online and at retail locations before January 12, 2013 at 11:59pm CST. Offer cannot be combined with other discounts or promotions.

Looks like it's glass, too. So broke from the holidays :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Alright thanks, I had given my friend a list for the brew store and they didn't have my preferred cotes de blanc and he grabbed the cuvee by employee suggestion. So it looks like it will be a backsweetening for me.

Fenugreek is the usual suggestion for getting a maple syrup flavor when fermentation would otherwise eat up all the maple syrup.

Wyeast Sweet Mead is another yeast to look into. It is supposed to leave 2-3% residual sugar and I've found that it flocs really well and quickly.