Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

plester1 posted:

Carbonic acid is a diprotic acid that can act as a buffer. Yes it's an acid, but that just means its pH is less than 7; it likes to sit at pH 5.7 or around that neighborhood. The instructions for Star San say its good as long as it's pH is below 3. I would not keep Star San under CO2.

I don't think the buffering capability of carbonic acid is enough to stop starsan from getting to a low enough pH to sanitize things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I want to put some oak chips in m next brew, during what stage should I add them?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm trying to add some oak character to a porter. I actually just noticed the bag they're in says to add them after primary fermentation is finished.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Awesome, thanks. I'll be sure to taste it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Hey, anyone interested in a Goon Homebrew secret santa this year? I'd be willing to administer.

I'm interested.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My bedroom is slowly being overtaken with beers.

I've got 2 or 3 more boxes worth in other parts.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Registered, I accidentally submitted it twice because I hit tab on accident while typing my address and then returned for a new line.:v:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cointelprofessional posted:

I have a Russian Imperial Stout that I've had sitting around for the past 3 months and I would like to bottle it and give it away as Christmas gifts. How do I ensure that the bottles carbonate? I don't know if the yeast is completely dormant, but I've heard that I may need to repitch some when I add priming sugar. Has anyone done this or can you offer advice?

I also figure that when I give them away at Christmas, I'll have to tell people not to drink them for a few weeks so that they mature more and reach their intended carbonation.

I had a stout sit in a fermenter for ~4 months and I bottled it no problem without adding any extra yeast.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just shipped out my secret santa box. God speed little package.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's been an interesting day, my mother's trying to set me up on a date with a furry and I got a package in the mail!

I didn't order any yeast samples!

Oh!

I'm drinking a Du Shazia right now. It's got a nice head and is pretty tasty! I'm at my parent's on break now so I need to keep some of these to split with my homebrew partner back at school, hopefully they last that long. I'm very interested in the sweet stout but I want to split that with my buddy.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a name on anything so I don't know who this package came from. Thanks a lot mystery Santa!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Awesome, I'm glad it got there intact. I was looking for something to line the box with and my old pchem lab handouts fit perfectly. The bags were probably unnecessary but I figured that if one broke they would toss the box so I thought those would keep it dry. One of those newspapers might even have an article in it about a laser that someone turned in during a fraternity amnesty day thing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

digitalhifi posted:

It's me. I am your Santa. Glad to see everything got there in one piece. I didn't include my name cause I wasn't sure if we were supposed to be all secretive about it or not.
Cheers!

Ah, I see. Thanks again!

TenjouUtena posted:

You can't just say this, you know.

Haha, my mother doesn't know she is a furry. It's the daughter of an old coworker of hers. I decided to look her up on facebook and there was a link to a deviant art page that has some furry drawings. None of them are sexual though. My roommates keep telling me to go for it so I can tell them about it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Born in 1955? What a fine year for women.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

beetlo posted:

Better bottle, and I've already had an infection using that. I'm not touching plastic buckets. No way.

I've only ever used buckets and I've never had an infection.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

j3rkstore posted:

Brewing outside today, its about 40*.

Anyone know what to do about this? The propane flow has really decreased and it was a "full" tank.

Just have to let the tank warm up. The flow decreased because there isn't enough energy to turn the liquid propane into gaseous propane.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Angry Grimace posted:

I didn't know those White Labs tubes could blow up like soda cans.

Like 1/5 of the yeast flew out of the tube right as I opened it. I suppose since I'm making a starter on a stir plate it's okay, right?

Should be fine. The yeast in them is active so they carbonate the tube.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My brew buddy and I entered a contest this weekend and won 6th place out of 40! We got a starter kit, beer kit, and joy of homebrewing 3rd edition. Not bad for a beer that sat in a fermenter on my bedroom floor for 3 months with only the window air conditioner pointing at it to keep it cool in the summer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Is there any real point to using a glass carboy? I've always fermented in buckets but I got a carboy in that kit I won and I don't know what I would ever do with it. Maybe I'll make some mead and leave it in a closet forever.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

indigi posted:

Sours.

I've actually got a sour already chilling out in a bucket next to the empty carboy. It seemed to stop fermenting after two days but a gravity reading says it still has about 10 points left in it. Also the sample tasted delicious. What's the advantage of using the glass for the sour?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I just pour my cooled wort through a screen to catch all the larger solids.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks like it's possible possible but citric acid can also do it and may work better.

But I also found this and apparently it should oxidize in atmosphere to be good enough for brewing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can bend it a little bit, but if you try to do it too much it will crimp the tube. Your best bet would be a pipe bender like this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6usvOZ9yIw

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

MalleusDei posted:

Is there such as thing as a straightener?

My chiller looks like this:
code:
--  --
  ||
======
======
And I'd rather it looked like this:
code:
  ||
  ||
======
======

You can pull tube straight.
Here's a guy doing it with a mallet, but if you don't need it to be perfectly straight you might just be able to gently work it straight enough without ruining it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvGEKaaPf5E&t=227s

If you didn't want to do that, you could just make some more 90o bends so it looks like this:

code:
|    |
|-  -|
  ||
======
======

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I find NB to be around a similar price to my local place, so possibly the 2nd one.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's fine.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That sounds like a lot of work, I just rack my beer into a bottling bucket and pour my boiled sugar water into it. Then I stir the dick off of it. Never had a problem with inconsistent carbonation.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

j3rkstore posted:

Any problems with oxidation?

Nope, I don't stir it all foamy, just to make sure it's all evenly dissolved into the beer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Angry Grimace posted:

My understanding is that if you use distilled water for your Star-San and it will stay acidic enough to kill bad things for weeks. That said, I more often than not just use tap water + Star San and don't ever change it.

You can just check it with some pH strips. I've had a bucket of the stuff sit for months and it was still good to use. It just has to remain below a pH of 4.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

JawKnee posted:

Alright, brew day again.

As this is an extract brew, is there any point in boiling for the full 60 minutes if I'm only planning on making hop additions in the final 20 minutes anyway?

I've done short extract boils to no ill effect.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What would be the best way to go about creating a lemon-lime wheat beer that isn't just "put lemons and lime in the finished beer?" I haven't brewed anything in a while and I think it would be nice to have something like that done by the time it starts getting really hot in summer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I bought 21 pounds of bananas last week to make a banana wine and they're ripening together in a bag. As of today my entire apartment has a noticeable banana smell when you walk in the door, and I think by tomorrow you'll be able to smell them in the hallway.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jhet posted:

That’s a lot of bananas.

What’s your process? Same as any country wine or is it different because bananas?

I'm gonna slice em up and freeze em once they're ripe enough. Then I'm gonna bag em and boil for a while. I want to leave a few peels in it while it ferments for at least a little bit. It's supposed to produce a ton of sediment so I'll move it to a secondary after a little time. Supposedly it will taste pretty rough for a long time but mellows out really nicely in 2 years :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hub Dirt posted:

Thanks, eh? I'll probably just bottle like always. Temp control is the one thing still out of my reach.

You can always put the keg in a big bucket of ice water to chill it before pressurizing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I had a good gose just yesterday, get one without any extra fruit flavors or anything.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You could also make an extract by soaking the cukes in vodka and adding some of that that at kegging. Bonus: cucumber vodka is great

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bogart posted:

That sounds refreshing.

Works with gin great too and is fantastic in a gin and tonic on a hot day.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Is that mold or just foam?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks moldy 2 me. How does it smell?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Side note: I brewed a brown ale that tasted really good after fermentation but I decided to rack it onto some frozen cherries at the last minute and it ended up tasting terrible so my luck with frozen fruit is not so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You could always taste it if you're feeling brave