Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

becoming posted:

Depends on how you want to drink it. For a cold drink that I'm going to dilute 1:1 with milk, I like to use a french press grind and a 1:8 ratio - so I might use 100g beans with 800g water. I put it in a jar, put the jar in a cool dark place (top of my pantry), and let it sit for 12-14 hours. Filter it, put it in another jar, and then mix 1:1 with milk, cold water, or a combination thereof. So maybe 200g concentrate, 100g water, 100g milk.

If I want to drink it hot - by adding hot water - I go for a ratio of 1:4. Follow the same procedure as above, but when it comes time to dilute, I'm now going one part concentrate to three parts hot water. 100g concentrate, 300g of very hot water.

Those are obviously two very different drinks. The nice thing about the cold brew 1:4 is that I can dispense hot water from my Zojirushi hot pot and have a cup of hot coffee in all of about thirty seconds in the morning, or I can mix it 1:1 with cold water, then mix that concoction 1:1 with milk and have a pretty great iced coffee drink.

48 hours is probably much too long, but I encourage you to try it and report back!

I have a question about your cold brew method. When you say you go for a ratio of 1:4 do you also mean you do 100g beans and 400g water to make your concentrate? Or do you make the same 1:8 ratio concentrate, and then dilute that 1:4 with water later?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

I have a question about your cold brew method. When you say you go for a ratio of 1:4 do you also mean you do 100g beans and 400g water to make your concentrate? Or do you make the same 1:8 ratio concentrate, and then dilute that 1:4 with water later?

That's beans-to-water ratio. I brew in 2-quart Ball jars and tend to keep a pretty consistent 800ml water volume. For iced coffee, that means 100g beans and 800g water, and I am still pretty happy with that recipe, but lately I have been doing the 1:4 mostly. I put in 200g beans and 800g water. I've mostly switched to this simply because it's more versatile. I realize that I have perhaps been somewhat vague in some of my posts about this, so I'm going to just put everything I do cold-brew wise below.

1:8 cold-brew recipe

Good for: iced coffee
Not good for: hot coffee

Ingredients
  • two (2) Ball mason jars, 2-quart size
  • 100g beans
  • 800g cold water
Method
  1. Grind 100g beans to french press consistency and place in jar
  2. Slowly pour 800g cold water over grounds, ensuring all grounds are soaked
  3. Screw lid onto jar, leave a little room for any gases to escape
  4. Place jar in cool, dark place - I use the top shelf of my pantry
  5. Let sit twelve (12) hours
  6. Optional - agitate the grounds at the half-way point, by stirring or by tightening the lid and then turning upside down
  7. Remove the grounds from the coffee concentrate via your preferred method. I pour them through a Filtropa filter in my CCD, which I have sitting on top of the second Ball jar.
  8. Put concentrate in the clean jar, put lid on jar, and put in fridge

Note - If you are using two-quart jars, you can double up this recipe and do 200g beans and 1600mL water. It will fit with a little room to spare. You can't double up the below recipe, the beans take up too much space.

This recipe works great for iced coffee because of its simplicity. The golden ratio with coffee is somewhere around 1:17, depending on your taste. I have been liking 1:16 lately, so this is simply half of that. Then, when I want a drink, I mix equal parts concentrate and ice water, milk, or a mixture thereof. (1:1 concentrate:milk is pretty superb, in my opinion.) This recipe does not work great for hot coffee. If you're mixing 1:1 concentrate with hot water, you are gonna wind up with fairly cold coffee. Out of your refrigerator it's gonna be around 40ºF, boiling water is 212ºF at sea level, but is probably closer to 205ºF by the time it hits the concentrate. They basically meet in the middle, which is around 122ºF, and that barely-hot coffee rapidly cools.

1:4 cold-brew recipe

Good for: iced coffee, hot coffee
Not good for: sun tan lotion? I haven't tested yet.

Ingredients
  • two (2) Ball mason jars, 2-quart size
  • 200g beans
  • 800g cold water
Method
  1. Grind 200g beans to french press consistency and place in jar
  2. Slowly pour 800g cold water over grounds, ensuring all grounds are soaked
  3. Screw lid onto jar, leave a little room for any gases to escape
  4. Place jar in cool, dark place - I use the top shelf of my pantry
  5. Let sit twelve (12) hours
  6. Optional - agitate the grounds at the half-way point, by stirring or by tightening the lid and then turning upside down
  7. Remove the grounds from the coffee concentrate via your preferred method. I pour them through a Filtropa filter in my CCD, which I have sitting on top of the second Ball jar.
  8. Put concentrate in the clean jar, put lid on jar, and put in fridge

This recipe works great for hot coffee because you're going 1:3 concentrate:hot water, so unlike the concentrate above, hot coffee made with this is actually still hot when you go to drink it. I have a Zojirushi hot water dispenser, so when I wake up in the morning, my coffee is already mostly made. All I need to do is pour some concentrate in a mug, walk to the hot water dispenser, and dispense some hot water. For extra giggles, use a measuring cup as your morning mug and just eyeball it.

It also is pretty great for iced coffee. For iced coffee, you want to dilute it with water first. A 1:1 dilution with water gets you some of the 1:8 concentrate above. Let's say I want 16oz of iced coffee. I measure out 4oz of this concentrate, then mix it with 4oz of cold water. Now I've got 8oz of the 1:8 concentrate. From there, I tend to mix 8oz of milk, for my 16oz drink. If you want it less milky, try adding another 4oz water and 4oz milk. You'll pretty quickly figure out what you like.

If you have any more questions, definitely ask. I love cold brew because with a little forethought and effort, it becomes the quickest way to get a good cup of coffee. Eat your heart out, Keurig.

Edit - This post previously listed the jars as 1-quart in size. This was an error on my part; I actually brew with a 2-quart jar but pour the concentrate into 1-quart jars. The single 2-quart jar is needed because 200g grounds will fill a 1-quart jar almost fully by themselves.

Second edit - Added the note about doubling up the 1:8 recipe.

becoming fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 29, 2014

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

becoming posted:

Since you've already got the Rolls Royce of drip machines, you will see a pretty huge improvement with a good grinder and freshly roasted beans ground right before you brew. It's also worth mentioning that most folks that are serious about coffee and espresso will recommend that you have a grinder solely for espresso. What I mean to say is, what you are brewing now is not espresso; if you get serious into espresso, you will want a grinder just for espresso; thus, you do not need a grinder for espresso right now.

As the others have said, what you care about is grind consistency. This is important because different grind sizes extract at different rates. If you do not have a consistent grind, you will never make a consistent cup of coffee. One day you might make something that tastes absolutely amazing, and you could repeat the process exactly the same way the next day and get a cup of over-extracted bitter garbage. (You had too many fines in your grind!)

The more you spend (to a point), the more consistent your grind will be. In manufacturing, tolerances are money. If you are going for precision, as a company like Mahlkönig is, you will pay through the nose for it. This gets passed on to the customer, which is why there are such wild variances in price.

Spend what you can realistically afford to spend on a grinder. Get a model that is well-reviewed by coffee geeks. I'm not sure about European availability, but all of us like Baratza. I have their Virtuoso, which was $229 USD from Amazon and is pretty drat consistent. If I had it to do over, I would probably step up to the Preciso, but I didn't realize just how much I was going to love coffee. I wouldn't bother with a Vario, as that's more geared toward espresso and I'm not drinking espresso.

Thanks for explaining it, it didn't occur to me to think of it that way. I've been going through reviews and some models definitely seem to stand out, and the reviews also seem to reflect your advice of getting a different grind later for espresso. One machine seems to do coarse really well, but fails at fine, and vice versa. I've been looking at manual grinds too, Hario Skerton specifically. It's not expensive, gets good reviews and a shop near me appears to have them in stock (and they carry beans too), so I'll grab one of those and some small bean bags to try things out with. I imagine it'll be good to take this slow and see how it goes before getting an expensive electric grind, test things out a bit and hopefully gain more of an understanding of what to expect and how to evaluate the results. :)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's been said a million times in this thread, but you're better off getting the $99 capresso infinity over a hand grinder.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thanks for all the cool cold-brewing stuff becoming

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Google Butt posted:

It's been said a million times in this thread, but you're better off getting the $99 capresso infinity over a hand grinder.

I was interested in it and I was looking for it but it's not available here from what I can tell. Otherwise yeah, I'd be going for that instead.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Moskau posted:

I was interested in it and I was looking for it but it's not available here from what I can tell. Otherwise yeah, I'd be going for that instead.

Where is here? It's on Amazon if you can use that, they can also be found at bed bath and beyond. Another alternative is the baratza encore.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Where is here? It's on Amazon if you can use that, they can also be found at bed bath and beyond. Another alternative is the baratza encore.

I'm guessing Europe, for some reason you can't get a Capresso Infinity via Amazon there.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

rockcity posted:

I'm guessing Europe, for some reason you can't get a Capresso Infinity via Amazon there.

Huh, weird.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

Actually, haha, I just found it while googling and browsing around some coffee forums. Capresso Infinity is available in Europe but it's under a different name, Nivona CafeGrano. I'll be ordering one of those then, instead.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Moskau posted:

Actually, haha, I just found it while googling and browsing around some coffee forums. Capresso Infinity is available in Europe but it's under a different name, Nivona CafeGrano. I'll be ordering one of those then, instead.

How much is it? If it's more than $99 check what price a baratza encore is, if it's the same, get the baratza.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

99€ for the CafeGrano, 179€ (:psyduck:) for the Encore. CafeGrano/Infinity it is, then; thanks for the help.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I wouldn't hate on the hand grinders, I have a Porlex mini mill that suits me well (and I've done some tinkering with it to keep that floaty burr consistent). If you're just doing this coffee thing for yourself in the mornings, its really not that bad. Don't get the skerton, because even though it has more load to grind in, you can't just go nuts on it or coffee will fly everyone because of the open top. The Hario mini mill is good and a cheaper alternative for small grinds.

If you're doing for even one extra person, just go with a electric grinder, though.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Miko posted:

I wouldn't hate on the hand grinders, I have a Porlex mini mill that suits me well (and I've done some tinkering with it to keep that floaty burr consistent). If you're just doing this coffee thing for yourself in the mornings, its really not that bad. Don't get the skerton, because even though it has more load to grind in, you can't just go nuts on it or coffee will fly everyone because of the open top. The Hario mini mill is good and a cheaper alternative for small grinds.

If you're doing for even one extra person, just go with a electric grinder, though.

Newer Skertons ship with a silicon-y lid with a hole for the crank to prevent that. I made a thing out of duct tape for the same purpose.

I assume the Porlex is still better than the Skerton in terms of out-of-the-box large-grind consistency?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is it still irritating to change the grind setting on the new Skerton? Who even wants to manually grind that much coffee anyway. The Mini Mill is better.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Finally managed to kill my heat gun. :toot:

Honestly I'm surprised that the Wagner $22 cheapie lasted so long roasting a couple of pounds a week. The increased heat levels it was exposed to in my KitchenAid set up probably didn't help. Time to see if I can turn it into a fire hazard while I wait for the replacement.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Trip report on my first cup ever with my Hario V60: yum yum in my tum tum, that is all.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

becoming posted:

I'm sorry man, I completely forgot to respond to this when I read it. No, never been. I'm always looking for neat places around here to hang out/spend money. I'll make it a point to get over there and give the Mexican a shot.

I still owe you a report on the Mad City beans, which means I need to actually pick up some Mad City beans.

Alright so I picked up some beans from Mad City over the weekend.

I got the Costa Rican Tarrazu and it is GREAT, probably the best beans I've had in a while. Low acidity, medium body, chocolatey, fruity, etc. The employees working there are knowledgable and let me know that most of their beans aren't roasted dark, the only ones that would be are their french/italian roasts (obviously). They have a pretty good selection of beans from all over. I just gave up on the Bean Hollow beans from last week and gave it to my parents, it's roasted way too dark for my liking.

But yeah, the Tarrazu is on sale at the moment for $11 from $14 a pound. It's advertised on their site but not in the store, so just ask about it and they'll give you the sale price. (Although I was accidentally marked up the original price because the other employee who ringed me up didn't realize it was a sale item, which is partly my fault for forgetting to tell him and not realizing until after I got home).

But seriously, this place is great. They have a whole bunch of cool stuff for sale and the employees are really nice. The atmosphere is cozy and it wasn't busy at all when I went in on a Saturday afternoon. They roast every Thursday too. Unfortunately I forgot to ask if they sold unroasted beans, it would be awesome if they did!

I also got a cup of their Java which was really good.

At first I was kinda skeptical of this place because of the iffy reviews, but honestly my first and short time being there was pretty great.

tl;dr: give this place a chance, you won't regret it!

Edit: According to a friend who JUST visited Bean Hollow, they don't even carry roasts lighter than their medium. What a drat shame.

Timid fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 20, 2014

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Prior to buying an aeropress I watched plenty of videos and thought that it was an accident waiting to happen. A long cylinder that you put put pressure on from above - all it needs is a weird shift of weight and you have a big mess. Yesterday it happened - travel mug went flying, coffee everywhere and me holding the aeropress, looking like a fool. I was about halfway through the pressing so it was only 8oz or so, but it sure seemed like a lot more than that.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nothing quite like sitting in a cafe drinking a latte, watching the beans I'll be buying tomorrow get roasted.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Dukket posted:

Prior to buying an aeropress I watched plenty of videos and thought that it was an accident waiting to happen. A long cylinder that you put put pressure on from above - all it needs is a weird shift of weight and you have a big mess. Yesterday it happened - travel mug went flying, coffee everywhere and me holding the aeropress, looking like a fool. I was about halfway through the pressing so it was only 8oz or so, but it sure seemed like a lot more than that.

Wait till you try the inverted method and something goes wrong :v:
It's like a rite of passage (almost) for those too clumsy in the mornings for their own good.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
I always make some kind of mess when I make an aeropress

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The closest I've ever come to having aeroprobs was when I had a weird too-wide cup. I must be a naturally gentle presser.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
The main source of mess for me is after the press, when removing the aeropress there are always a few drops ready to get on my side

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I find that the trick is to not be drunk when you use the Aeropress.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I do french press mainly because I'm not ready to make the lifestyle choice of being not drunk.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Archer2338 posted:

Wait till you try the inverted method and something goes wrong :v:
It's like a rite of passage (almost) for those too clumsy in the mornings for their own good.

When I first got my AP started with the inverted method and stopped after just a few rounds, it was always a mess. I decided I was fine with premature drippings and had no problems until yesterday.

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009
The one catastrophe I've had with my aeropress was trying to make coffee with the inverted method, hungover. I've never made coffee hungover since.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I didn't even have an aeropress. One morning I was terribly ill but had to get up for a 6am class, and ended up smacking my Chemex while turning around. This resulted in it falling over sideways (thankfully not breaking) and spilling out a filter full of 200F water and grounds onto my foot. :gonk:

I'm scared of aeropresses because I have the coordination of drunken toddler and will invariably find some way to kill myself with it.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Jamwillinob posted:

The one catastrophe I've had with my aeropress was trying to make coffee with the inverted method, hungover. I've never made coffee hungover since.

That, uh, may or may not have happened to me repeatedly. Gotta love scooping up boiling coffee and grounds off your counter with a kitchen towel first thing in the afternoon.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Got a new toy in the mail today.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

Got a new toy in the mail today.

The things we do, the money we spend, for great coffee. Looking forward to reading a report!

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Would a LIDO be overkill for just pour over?

Timid fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 22, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Timid posted:

Would a LIDO be overkill for just pour over?

Man, they look nice but for that money you could buy a refurb virtuoso :smith:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks for all of your helpful posts, coffee thread! I've been making great coffee for a few weeks now, and really even enjoy the process, except for the hand-grinding part...

Google Butt posted:

Definitely. I picked up a Hario Skerton, and I just don't think I'm into it. Using it is hell on my supporting wrist unless I sit down and grip it between my legs, the locking nut loosens itself when grinding, and it doesn't really grind very consistently (I've read complaints about its consistency with coarse grinds, but I'm not even grinding all that coarsely.) I'm already planning on picking up the Capresso grinder when I can afford it, and just keeping the Skerton around as a backup.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
God drat, I'm not used to the 1:8 ratio of cold-brew vs. the 1:17 ratio of brewing with hot water. It doesn't help that my only grinder is my Hario Mini and that I love to share my coffee; I'm going to become poor fast if I don't start accepting tip money and/or stop sharing so much.

(I miss roasting my own coffee.)

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
I have my SECOND Virtuoso replacement (third unit overall) arriving Monday. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but a loving UPS trailer arrived late and UPS Ground doesn't deliver on Saturdays. I was really looking forward to making shittons of coffee this weekend with it, but I guess it will have to wait. Pretty disappointed with Baratza, but at least someone in QC emailed me and personally tested the replacement herself in the lab to make sure it worked. She also took off the stupid cardboard "ring" so I don't have to take the hopper off to get started. She seemed a bit incredulous that I was having so many problems with my grinders, but I'm glad they're attempting to make it right.

I just got a new camera (Olympus E-PM2) with a sweet prime lens and I had a gorgeous brew going this morning in the Wave. I was pouring around the edge slowly with my kettle and kinda made a swirl towards the middle. It was alternating dark and light foam... looked awesome. Wish I'd captured that moment, but I did get a few decent shots. Check out my ~coffee album~: http://imgur.com/a/8UXJL. I think I'll take some next time I make some coffee again and try to get some super artsy coffee shotz.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

So, I think I'm hanging up the CCD for a while, absolutely loving what I'm getting with the v60 and gooseneck. I still think that the ccd is the go-to option for people getting into coffee or when a gooseneck isn't an option.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've also been using the V60 for a few months now and really like it. I think I like the taste of coffee that's ground finer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

:siren:Bonavita Variable Temp Kettle on lsale from Amazon for $67.42, original price is $94.99

Back to regular price.

Timid fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 23, 2014