Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
For the people using 4:6, how does it scale? I usually make myself 540ml of water for my drive/stay at work, should I just be splitting that into 5x98 and mess from there? Or does this really only work for a single cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

So I've done a handful of 4:6 cups and everything is immensely better than what I was getting with Hoffman's method. I'll definitely go back and try to fine tune Hoffman's but I truly have no idea what kind of grind I should be using now. Should it be finer than what I'm using for the 4:6?

Also, anybody have any Chemex methods they recommend?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Postman posted:

So I've done a handful of 4:6 cups and everything is immensely better than what I was getting with Hoffman's method. I'll definitely go back and try to fine tune Hoffman's but I truly have no idea what kind of grind I should be using now. Should it be finer than what I'm using for the 4:6?

Also, anybody have any Chemex methods they recommend?

It's hard to give exact measurements for something like grindsize, but you want something that looks like kosher salt. You're going to have to play around with it but as a rule of thumb if it's draining too fast, grind it finer and if it's draining too slowly, grind it coarser.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Installed my E61 thermometer today. Makes the process of managing heat much easier.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Deathlove posted:

For the people using 4:6, how does it scale? I usually make myself 540ml of water for my drive/stay at work, should I just be splitting that into 5x98 and mess from there? Or does this really only work for a single cup?

I just doubled everything and did 40g to 600ml and it was fine. I didn't adjust my grind size from normal v60 technique because it's the same for chemex and french press already. You can start with your chosen water amount and just do the ratio as noted and you'll very likely be fine.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Alright I got my Mochamaster, a decent burr grinder, went to a local shop to get some fresh roasted beans (Medium, Brazil). Pre-wet filter, stirred during the brew a bit... anyway the coffee is great but my wife says "too strong". She's just used to the watery artificial flavored dunkin donuts coffee she had been making in her grody 10+ year old cheap drip machine. So just for her sake does anyone have advice for how I can "weaken" the brew a bit? I wasn't sure if that just means less grounds or a different grind or whatever.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

More water in her cup.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah can you just...dilute it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Womyn Capote posted:

Alright I got my Mochamaster, a decent burr grinder, went to a local shop to get some fresh roasted beans (Medium, Brazil). Pre-wet filter, stirred during the brew a bit... anyway the coffee is great but my wife says "too strong". She's just used to the watery artificial flavored dunkin donuts coffee she had been making in her grody 10+ year old cheap drip machine. So just for her sake does anyone have advice for how I can "weaken" the brew a bit? I wasn't sure if that just means less grounds or a different grind or whatever.

Did you use the recommended ratio in the manual? I can’t remember the ratio they give you (68g for a full pot of 10 cups iirc)? I know many people say that’s just a starting point and you can lower the amount of beans if needed. I usually use about 60g in my Moccamaster and my wife still says it’s too strong. Fine for me though.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

nwin posted:

Did you use the recommended ratio in the manual? I can’t remember the ratio they give you (68g for a full pot of 10 cups iirc)? I know many people say that’s just a starting point and you can lower the amount of beans if needed. I usually use about 60g in my Moccamaster and my wife still says it’s too strong. Fine for me though.

Yeah I went with the 16:1 ratio that's recommended. 47g to 750ml water.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

What's the cheapest burr grinder I can get away with in the UK if I don't care about espresso? I want to blast my beans for a moka pot or Hario pour over for 1-2 people first thing in the morning and that's it. Should I just stick with my hand grinder?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Wachter posted:

What's the cheapest burr grinder I can get away with in the UK if I don't care about espresso? I want to blast my beans for a moka pot or Hario pour over for 1-2 people first thing in the morning and that's it. Should I just stick with my hand grinder?

Baratza Encore is a workhorse.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Wachter posted:

I quite like my wilfa svart, can get them for around £95.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Wachter posted:

I know nothing about moka pot grind sizes, but for pour-over, the two mentioned so far would be the two I'd look at.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The flip side of that question: is an Encore with the replacement burr good enough to do espresso?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

RichterIX posted:

The flip side of that question: is an Encore with the replacement burr good enough to do espresso?

Maybe? The problem is that it doesn't have stepless grind adjustment, so you won't be able to properly dial-in your grind. I remember when I got my first ever espresso machine I tried using my Encore and found that mine would choke my espresso machine on the finest grind setting but was slightly under-extracted on the next setting. I essentially needed a half step between the two settings, but was unable to do it with the Encore's stepped settings. It's why Espresso grinders tend to offer stepless adjustment to let you fine tune your extraction.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've used my encore for espresso, the real issue is consistency. For every good cup you're going to get like 5-6 bad ones.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

RichterIX posted:

It's possible to get good shots out of it but you'll waste a lot of expensive beans doing it because adjusting it is very difficult. One click is the difference between a good shot and choking the machine so you really want something with more settings.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Yeah can you just...dilute it?

The manual legit says just add water if it's too strong

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Womyn Capote posted:

Yeah I went with the 16:1 ratio that's recommended. 47g to 750ml water.

You could conceivably cut this down to 42g or so and noticeably improve the cup for her and not compromise too much for what you like. I believe the "gold" standard is 55g per L of H2O +/- 5g. I'd recommend a small period where you keep the basket shut and saturate the grounds evenly but that's a time investment.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I use my Encore and upgraded burr with my NS Oscar and I’m happy using them together. I’ve used them together enough to know if adding another gram or changing the grind will get me what I want in the cup.

I certainly wouldn’t pass up a nice Sette or Vario if one shows up for a screaming deal but I think the upgraded Encore does fine.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Gunder posted:

Installed my E61 thermometer today. Makes the process of managing heat much easier.

Which Rocket is that? I thought even their HX machines were supposed to be pretty stable due to the thermosyphon couple for the group head?

I ask because I have a Mozzafiato Evolutione R but haven’t got a group thermometer for it but have kind of always wondered. I do flush before pulling a shot for the first one of the day (machine stays on all the time).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The Appartamento. I have no idea how stable it is or isn't. This is my first HX. I use the meter to tell when to stop doing cooling flushes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtue posted:

Maybe they use the same number of shots for every size and just add more water.

From a ways back, but so many places do this that I ask if I'm at an unfamiliar shop. I'm used to 4 shots in a 20 oz Americano and the 2 that a lot of places put in just doesn't cut it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Gunder posted:

The Appartamento. I have no idea how stable it is or isn't. This is my first HX. I use the meter to tell when to stop doing cooling flushes.

If you make two drinks in a row, do you need to flush the second time? I only flush if its been a few hours since I made a drink (first thing in the morning, or if I need an afternoon shot or evening affogato.

I think your model has the thermosyphon dealio.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Oh gosh, how have I been through owning an espresso and not made an affogato

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty shameful tbh. Affogato is like Italy's greatest contribution to the culinary world. I'd love to eat it every day.

Also I don't think you always need to use the best beans when making affogato. It all ends up pretty good!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Even if you don't have espresso, iced coffee can be the base of absolutely delicious treats

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you make two drinks in a row, do you need to flush the second time? I only flush if its been a few hours since I made a drink (first thing in the morning, or if I need an afternoon shot or evening affogato.

I think your model has the thermosyphon dealio.

Not for 2 drinks in a row, but the first shot of the day definitely needs a flush.

Edit: After turning the machine on, you need to wait at least 25-30 mins to get the grouphead up to temperature, and then if you pull a shot right when it reads 94 c, it'll pour boiling water all over the puck. You definitely need to do a cooling flush regardless.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 20, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
At a lovely Econolodge to get some rest, the coffee provided is TWO decaf's, what the hell, I need coffee now. But maybe I shouldn't trust their coffee maker anyway.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

excellent bird guy posted:

At a lovely Econolodge to get some rest, the coffee provided is TWO decaf's, what the hell, I need coffee now. But maybe I shouldn't trust their coffee maker anyway.

Leave it alone, hit McDonald's. At least McD is completely predictable.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've roasted for years using a behmor, but stopped about 2 years ago due to moving somewhere with not suitable roasting area. Kinda thinking about getting back into it, but all of the options under $600 all have their problems. Anyone have experience with either the sr800 or genecafe? Looking to be as hands off as possible, but I understand what is involved with machines in this bracket

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Google Butt posted:

I've roasted for years using a behmor, but stopped about 2 years ago due to moving somewhere with not suitable roasting area. Kinda thinking about getting back into it, but all of the options under $600 all have their problems. Anyone have experience with either the sr800 or genecafe? Looking to be as hands off as possible, but I understand what is involved with machines in this bracket

I like my SR540 with extension tube quite a bit. I actually started using artisan to track my roasts so I'm the wrong person to talk about hands off but you can certainly do it hands off. Nothing is automated though.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I like the gene cafe quite a bit. We route the exhaust through a window for roasting indoors which makes the process of roasting relatively easy. The roasting process on the gene cafe looks like:
1) measure out ~300g green coffee
2) Push on button
3) Push safety check button at ~4 minutes, ~8 mintues
4) Roast generally over around 12 minutes, push button to enter cool cycle
5) Cool cycle finishes in about 12-15 minutes

You can't get too involved in something while it's roasting due the safety feature, but it's not a tremendous amount of work.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

milkman dad posted:

I like the gene cafe quite a bit. We route the exhaust through a window for roasting indoors which makes the process of roasting relatively easy. The roasting process on the gene cafe looks like:
1) measure out ~300g green coffee
2) Push on button
3) Push safety check button at ~4 minutes, ~8 mintues
4) Roast generally over around 12 minutes, push button to enter cool cycle
5) Cool cycle finishes in about 12-15 minutes

You can't get too involved in something while it's roasting due the safety feature, but it's not a tremendous amount of work.

routing outside is a very attractive feature of the gene cafe. From my research is seems as if the behmor is more consistent, but I'm considering it for sure

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Google Butt posted:

I suppose if you have a big window you can open and a shop fan set up in it blowing out you can vent it that way. It would really be nice if it had a vent option.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've never roasted at home. How much of a smell do those things generate? I imagine there's quite a lot of burning smell?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Gunder posted:

I've never roasted at home. How much of a smell do those things generate? I imagine there's quite a lot of burning smell?

If you set it up properly the gene cafe has relatively little smell. Roasted coffee / burning are two different things. Roasted coffee smells pretty good!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

You guys seen the boca boca 500? Thing looks beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Gunder posted:

Nah, but your kitchen or where you roast will smell like the roast for a day or two. I don't mind the smell, but it does make you drink more coffee!